Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Safari - more info?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 04:09 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 92 Posts

Worcester Earn-A-Bike recently had a $20 bike sale where they sold off excess donated bikes. I picked up a Peugeot Safari and now I'm trying to find out whatever I can about it.

I'm guessing it's a 1991 model, but I haven't been able to find a US 1991 brochure, and I haven't found an exact match in any other brochure.

It's pearl white, possibly a women's frame, and I think it's the smallest size (420, or 42cm, if I remember correctly). It has C-Star brake levers, Shimano thumbies mounted above the bar. Tires are Kenda, 28x1-3/8. There are 2 front rings with a Shimano friction derailleur. The RD is Shimano SIS. The frame is marked Carbolite, made in Canada, and DBS (something like Direct Brazing System). The seat came off some other bike. It has Dia-Compe side-pull brakes.

Serial number was found low on the seat tube: BJ96641

What can you tell me about it? I have no experience with Peugeots.

Old 05-23-22, 06:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Very basic, built by Procycle of Canada, 700C wheels and tires. Hey, if it works and you like it...

I used to rep for Peugeot and have a soft spot for their bikes.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-24-22, 07:24 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Originally Posted by thumpism
Very basic, built by Procycle of Canada, 700C wheels and tires. Hey, if it works and you like it...

I used to rep for Peugeot and have a soft spot for their bikes.
I do kind of like it. 28" wheels aren't 700C, though, are they?
I don't have any other flat-bar bikes, or bikes with fat(-ish) tires. It's neat sitting higher than on my road bikes. On the other hand, it could use a rack, and I have the seat and the stem at minimum insertion points to get it to fit, so I'll probably sell it at some point when I find a suitable replacement. Until then, it might be a good bike to keep at work for lunch-time rides, and is surely better on unpaved trails than my road bikes.
I like pearl white paint. I hope it'll clean up well.

Do you know the model names for the derailers? And do you know anything about this decal? I initially thought it was something random added by a previous owner, but it seems to have come on some Peugeot models for a time. I can't figure out what it's supposed to be.

Reminds me of a "tribal" tattoo

I just consulted Sheldon Brown's cribsheet, and apparently 28" is 700C. Good to know!
Old 05-24-22, 08:30 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
622 = 700c.

Welcome to the wonderful world of confusing tire/wheel sizes.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-24-22, 11:10 AM
Killbosby144
KillBosby144

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThriftyBill

So... recently acquired two older road bikes, seemingly replete with original parts and components: a Peugeot of some sort and a Fuji Gran Tourer. By browsing this morning I happened upon several of youd threads and responses. I signed up with intentions of messaging you which, I've learnedin since, I can't do as a new user. I need help, Sir. Thus if you could reach out I would appreciate it greatly. I am at Yukoncornelius1778@gmail.com. Please consider. Respectfully

Last edited by Killbosby144; 05-24-22 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-24-22, 12:41 PM
Killbosby144
KillBosby144

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Message to wrk101 aka Thrifty Bill

I wrote a response to this thread earlier i just tried to edit, decided to leave alone, then watched disappear. At this point I am confused, and seemingly isolated, but I would appreciate access to you as I have questions I believe yiu could answer as regard a Peugeot and a old Fuju Grand Tourerr I think yiu could answer. If you would at all care to help you can reach me at yukoncornelius1778@gmail.com My name is Brandon. Thank you
Old 05-25-22, 12:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Brandon, your post disappeared because you went back into it and added a link. You can't add links or pics until you have passed ten good posts. We manually approved your edited post.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 05-27-22, 07:05 AM
RichSPK

I rode the Peugeot 7+ miles last night. Near the end, my knee was starting to ache. Maybe the fit isn't close enough, after all.
Old 05-27-22, 08:15 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Hmm, not sure what's going on in posts 5-7 but back to the OPs post about the Peugeot, I think that decal is just a sticker someone put on it. Doesn't look bike official, but someone else might confirm.

I own 2 Peugeot bikes and really like them but is there another bike company that has as many different logos, design schemes and models than Peugeot? There doesn't seem to be any consistency from year to year, model to model or country to country? The Lion is the only thing that you could see on a bike and say, yup - Peugeot.
Old 05-27-22, 08:28 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
And do you know anything about this decal? I initially thought it was something random added by a previous owner, but it seems to have come on some Peugeot models for a time. I can't figure out what it's supposed to be.

Reminds me of a "tribal" tattoo
Yeah I think these were official decals. There's matching ones on the fork and they're in the same purple as the "SAFARI" type. Going with the African theme, I think it's just a pattern design to add interest to some of the blank areas on the frame and fork.
Likes For Clang: