Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Revelation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 10:13 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Revelation

I think I may have figured it out.

Mid to late 2007 I hit the wall on riding. I still enjoyed riding but the flame just wasn't burning as brightly as the previous 6-7 years. I still rode but probably only did 1/2 the miles from other months and just didn't exert myself as hard. Was the novelty of cycling finally running it's course???

I was perplexed. I really enjoy hot weather and enjoy being outdoors in warm weather. The hotter it is the more I enjoy it. It's fairly humid in NC (well compared to the West/Midwest anyway) but it's never bothered me as I've always lived in this area. I just couldn't figure out why I wasn't as motivated to ride.

I've never enjoyed cold weather that much. I'm still active but it's just never done much for me. However, as the weather has gotten colder this year I'm riding more, and enjoying it a lot more. I'm already thinking of the major rides this spring and getting prepped for those.

As much as I enjoy hot weather, I've determined I enjoy riding in colder weather even more. You just layer up and off you go. It's actually very refreshing to be in crisp, cool air. In fact as I look back my best performance indicators occur in early spring after good training through the winter.

So there it is.........I'm a hot weather person that really prefers to ride in chilly weather. Go figure.......

How about you?
Old 12-12-07, 10:14 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
State your definition of "chilly" weather?

My favorite riding temps are around 55-60, but I don't consider that to be chilly.
Old 12-13-07, 02:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 2,243 Posts
Give me low 50s, sunny, calm wind --- and smooth asphalt with no traffic.
Old 12-13-07, 06:01 AM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was in US in Nov, I rode and really enjoyed the crisp chill of a 35-40 degree afternoon.
But I gotta admit, as i ride in Cebu in 85 degree weather, when i look at the US weather report in KY I smile.

I'm with U jppe.
Old 12-13-07, 06:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,652 Times in 2,138 Posts
While I would prefer to ride in calm, sunny, 72 degree weather, I realize that if I want to ride more than 7 months out of the year, I'm going to have to ride in some stuff down to at least 20F. I've found that the best thing to do is embrace it and just do it. Once the shock of November is over and the body acclimates, it's not that big of a deal and becomes somewhat enjoyable.

Old 12-13-07, 06:46 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
State your definition of "chilly" weather?

My favorite riding temps are around 55-60, but I don't consider that to be chilly.
How about 20-60 degrees...........although I'd also offer that anyting under 80 degrees is pretty dog gone sweet-but not necessarily chilly!
Old 12-13-07, 07:01 AM
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am with you, jppe. I also love the heat, but I cut way back on exertion and try to do my rides before 11:00 a.m. Temperatures in the 60s are ideal cycling weather for me, but I have had some wonderful rides in the 30s.
Old 12-13-07, 07:46 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do best in riding weather that requires nothing more than a simple jersey for warmth. Hence anything below 65 degrees and I start to wish for warmer weather. Add wind to the 65 & below mix, and I start thinking about the advantages of moving. Yet, the curious thing is, I always feel a bit on the smug side after riding in windy, below freezing weather when many others are inside. I don't enjoy those rides very much, but take a perverse pride in the fact that I'm not letting the weather keep me from riding.

If you not my avatar for now (it's the single red tulip pushing it's way through the snow), you'll understand my sentiments. Cold weather is a reality where I live, but I'll be damned if I'll let it take over my life.
Old 12-13-07, 08:09 AM
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give me the heat. Anything under 50 degrees, and to me, that's cold. I keep asking my wife to remind me why we live in New England. Between the cold, the snow and the leaves, I hate it. Have to stay here for family reasons, but if I had my druthers, I'd be down south.
As I type this, we are getting ready for 6-10 inches of snow, supposed to start coming down in a couple hours. To make it worse, they're calling for a "major" storm on Saturday/Sunday.
I try to remember the first day of the 2007 Pan Mass Challenge....we did 112 miles, 95 degree heat and humidity in the 80's....the best ride I ever had!!
Old 12-13-07, 08:21 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
While I would prefer to ride in calm, sunny, 72 degree weather, I realize that if I want to ride more than 7 months out of the year, I'm going to have to ride in some stuff down to at least 20F. I've found that the best thing to do is embrace it and just do it. Once the shock of November is over and the body acclimates, it's not that big of a deal and becomes somewhat enjoyable.
+1

About this time of year I'm finally getting acclimated to the cold weather. I'll be riding tomorrow morning with weather predictions of 33F and 7MPH winds. This might seem cold to some but I think it's nice winter riding conditions It's much better than what's forecast for the weekend....snow, below freezing temps and wind.

I'm also anxious to see how the new winter cycling boots perform in these temps. They arrived on my door step yesterday and the new cleats will be put on today for the first test run. I was hoping for temps in the 20F range but I'll settle for 30's.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 12-13-07, 08:21 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I do most of my biking from March-June and from September to early November. July and August, even in Michigan, are just too hot for me. I also run year-round, but again my mileage in July and August is often less than what I do in the winter months.
Old 12-13-07, 09:20 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel good down to about 40 F and don't have to worry much about any thing over 85 F (and no humidity) where I live. Under 40, I have to put on so much clothing that it just does not seem comfortable to ride.
Old 12-13-07, 09:43 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Still riding. They're calling for a high of 28°F today with 3-7 inches of new snow during the day. My low thus far this season is 12°F.

That said, 50° to 85° or 90° (depending on humidity) is my preferred range. As others have said, I can hammer harder at lower temps. 85 and above, I'm just out for a bike ride.

Reading Beverly's post above, yeah now that I'm acclimated to the cold, mid-30s and calm seems like great riding weather. That's what we had here yesterday.

Beverly, which boots did you get? I love my Lakes.
Old 12-13-07, 09:47 AM
knotty
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the SF Bay Area, it just gets down to about the mid 40's to the mid 50's like it is today. Still that initial stepping outside is a bit unpleasant so I warm up before riding, either on the rollers, stepper, or some weights then I don't even feel any cold.

But, ideally, waiting for those Marin summer 75+ degree rides with just shorts, jersey, and plenty of sweat.

knotty
Old 12-13-07, 09:55 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Cold is anything below 60 deg.F. and hot is anything over 100 deg. F. When I lived in MO I rode lots of miles below 0 deg.C and even an few below 0 deg.F.

Since I've moved to CA I've become a cold-air wuss, with only one ride below 0 deg. C (the first miles of a double century in Santa Ynez), but almost a whole day riding in Death Valley (yes, another double) at over 100 deg. F. and 0 % humidity.

So sure, I prefer 70 - 85 deg. F. but I have to be adaptable. It really helps (for me) to have an event-goal for which I'm training.

My motivational reasoning goes: "Do I want to suffer a bit in training? Or would I rather suffer during the event?" Yeah, I know, I may be in denial because I may suffer in the event too. But probably to a lesser extent if my training miles have been effective.

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-13-07, 12:27 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
For me, altitude and sun intensity make a huge difference. I live at 4800 ft, and a 60 degree day with intense sun feels hotter than an 85 degree day with clouds. That said, I like to ride most in cool (say 40-60 degrees) or hot, over 80. I just don't get that thrilled with the in-between. I think its because I hate getting chilled on downhills, and below 60 I wear more cloths, and over 80 or 85, ya welcome the cooling effect of a long downhill.
Old 12-13-07, 01:02 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can't exactly say that we have had good riding weather over here this year and it was only on a couple of rides in April that I rode in only a short sleeve jersey. Rest of the year has required at least a pertex on if not more. In fact the goretex has been in use a heck of a lot this summer.

So heat on the rides has not been a problem. Even when I went to France and every day was well up into the 80's. That was done in short sleeves by the way. One of the things I have not missed though is high humidity. That is my killer. Although I may realise it is there and take plenty of water to compensate- I have not been taking the Isotonic and Energy drinks so have been missing out on a few of the Vital Salts that I would normally take in on a ride. Hasn't hit me on a ride but the next day has occasionally been a washout.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-07, 01:36 PM
farandaway
"older than dirt"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No big surprise. I love it here where I have lived most of my life. Every season has its advantages, but overall, the temps are fairly mild throughout the year--not too hot, not too cold--and we have lots of nice fog and coastal breeze to keep you cool on the hot days and warm on the cold days. I like to ride early in the summer to avoid the bugs and later on winter days to enjoy the warmth of the sun. After 5 miserable years in the San Luis Valley of Colorado, where temps can reach 30 below 0F, I came home to stay. I hope I can stay here for the duration. Time (and money) will tell.
Old 12-13-07, 02:07 PM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather ride in 40 degrees celsius than 40 degrees farenheit.
Old 12-13-07, 02:25 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 888 Posts
I don't ride when the temp gets below about 36F. My body/joints just seem too tight and breathing gets harder to do.
Ideally, I like 65-75. I can dress light and the body works better. Once the temps get into the mid 80's, I have to back off my pace a bit or start sweating like a pig.
What I found interesting the other day is the temp got up into the low 60's, and I was "layered up". IF it was summer, I would have been in my shorts and T shirt!
Old 12-13-07, 03:17 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Once the temps get into the mid 80's, I have to back off my pace a bit or start sweating like a pig.
What's wrong with sweating?
Old 12-13-07, 03:23 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can't call you wimps as it takes alot of practice and the right clothing to ride when the temps gets below freezing. Haven't been on the road with black ice but up on the hills when it is down to brass monkey time and it is great fun. Speed does get dropped though to cut out the wind chill factor and I would probably not sit outside for Breakfast- but A cold morning with frost still on the ground is a good ride worth having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Frost.jpg (26.5 KB, 6 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-07, 04:50 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,652 Times in 2,138 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
+1

About this time of year I'm finally getting acclimated to the cold weather. I'll be riding tomorrow morning with weather predictions of 33F and 7MPH winds. This might seem cold to some but I think it's nice winter riding conditions It's much better than what's forecast for the weekend....snow, below freezing temps and wind.
Your weather is about like ours, right now. A buddy and I rode an 1-1/2 hrs both yesterday and today and the temps were 30-33F with light winds yesterday and a little stiffer today, about 12-15 mph. Seriously, my mental attitude is much better for getting out there in the cold.

Old 12-13-07, 06:55 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Oddly, I will commute in teh cold. I'll layer up like i'm going skiing. I really enjoy it. BUT I won't ride or fun when it's cold.
Old 12-13-07, 10:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8325 Post(s)
Liked 9,136 Times in 4,514 Posts
We have temps well over 100f here in the summer. That's a bit much, once over 95 I don't enjoy it. I also do winter rides in the 30s and everything in between 30 and 95. Over 100 sucks.
I think as we get older we tolerate high temps less well. Two of the fastest/strongest guys I know, who are now in their 60s, can't stand to hammer on hot days anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.