Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

basement workshop: condensation and crystals on a bike parts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 03:46 AM
rideone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so, not sure where to post this but i figure a handful of mechanics here would have probably dealt with a moist workshop in their day. in my case i have my workshop in a windowed basement, 3/4 below ground level. on warm summer days, humidity can get high and condensation forms, but otherwise it is ok. i've seen water droplets forming on frames, but nothing appears to be rusting...yet! i try and keep things under control the best i can.

in berlin, germany spring is finally here, and lately the outside temperature is finally higher than in the basement (in winter when temp goes below freezing it is actually warmer). outside has been about in the high 40s. Anyhow, yesterday i pulled this old Raleigh "Corsa" out to disassemble and noticed for the first time ever crystals forming on the steel AND aluminum parts. The frame had visible condensation. No other frames or parts in the whole basement were affected and I have about 20 down there. I was stumped.

In small areas on the walls there is effloresence (salt deposits). This got me wondering, condensation aside, could the crystals be salt deposits starting? I don't think it is mold. The aluminum rims actually have some signs of corrosion.

have a look. really strange!

i know a lot of you will be inclined to say, move out of there! and while i would love to, that's not really an option. i am renting it since a year and it has been ok. sure i'd prefer something dry and with heat, but i can't afford it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9842.jpg (97.8 KB, 47 views)
IMG_9843.jpg (96.3 KB, 43 views)
IMG_9846.jpg (98.4 KB, 39 views)
IMG_9848.jpg (97.4 KB, 36 views)
IMG_9831.jpg (92.0 KB, 40 views)
IMG_9836.jpg (100.8 KB, 33 views)
IMG_9841.jpg (96.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-12-13, 03:50 AM
Continuity

Bikes: 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a dehumidifier...

You can get them quite cheaply these days - be sure to get a plugin electrical one that 'whirrs' in use and works in the same manner as a fridge.

The salt deposits will be minerals in the brickwork that are leaching to the surface.

Also, get a hygrometer and you can keep an accurate eye on the humidity.
Attached Images
dehumidifier.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-13, 04:34 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Unless you have good modern waterproofing systems and vapor barriers on the subgrade walls and a moisture barrier system under your basement slab, there will be a lot of moisture migrating into the space through your walls and floor slab which could cause corrosion and/or mold on metals in your basement. How old is the structure? Also, do not cover your bikes with impermeable covers like big plastic tarps as they will further trap moisture around and in your bike frames......
The recommendation to use humidifiers in your basement is a good one but best yet is to move your bikes int a dryer more conditioned space in your house (Upper living areas) and only take them down the basement when you have to work on them for small durations. The efflouresence developing on your walls is a bad sign that confirms that there is a good amount of moisture/water vapor going through the walls. and into the space. A cool, dry and if possible, dark place is like for many other things will be the best place to store bikes if you want to preserve them best.
Similar problems arise for many people when storing bikes in older garages without vapor barrier equipped floor slabs a lot of times.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 04-12-13 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 05:08 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Wow. Strange stuff...

Short of moving the bikes (and anything else you want to keep in good nick) out of that space, I can't see a way around having to run a heater and/or a dehumidifier down there.
Old 04-12-13, 06:01 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
I run a dehumidifier in my basement shop 24/7. Piped into an automatic pump that evacuates the collected water to the exterior whenever full.
Too much to lose without it.
Old 04-12-13, 07:31 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If the basement is cooler than outside, the relative humidity will be higher even though the absolute humidity can be the same. Heating the basement or using dehumidifiers are really the only things that will work. I have a large basement so run two dehumidifiers in the summer and it makes a big difference. Tools don't rust and cardboard boxes aren't limp and soggy. They cost about $200 each but the cost of the electricity to run them is also a significant consideration. Our basement is dry, so the source of humidity is outside air and we keep it pretty well sealed up in the summer so as not to defeat the dehumidifiers.
Old 04-12-13, 08:18 AM
Clawed

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's corrosion on the metal and should be attacked immediately. Disassemble, clean, polish, and spray with preservative like Boeshield T-9 or other. Fortunately the damage you see there is mostly superficial and cosmetic, but it will get worse if not stopped right away.

Get a dehumidifier and arrange it so that the water produced (there will be a lot every day) runs away by gravity. This may mean mounting the DH near the ceiling so a pipe can be be led downward and out a window or through the wall. If you depend on an electric pump or manually emptying the reservoir there will always be a failure and cause a flood.
Old 04-12-13, 08:22 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I have a basement just like that.

That looks like mold to me. Is it actually crystalline?
Old 04-12-13, 08:33 AM
bobn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A good dehumidifier will not only help protect your bikes and tools, but is also good for the building itself.
It will also help prevent musty odors, mold and mildew
Old 04-12-13, 10:19 AM
rideone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the replies! i guess i'll be biting the bullet and purchasing a dehumidifier. until now i've only used no electrical, mineral based (sodium chloride i think) containers to absorb moisture. they work too and are easy on the electricty bill.
Old 04-12-13, 10:22 AM
rideone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
I have a basement just like that.

That looks like mold to me. Is it actually crystalline?
yes pretty sure it is crystaline. this bike was next to the back wall so the comment about it coming from the wall makes total sense. the steange thing is that i have a bunch of frames hanging from the ceiling next to that wall and there are zero crystals or condensation.
Old 04-12-13, 10:31 AM
Continuity

Bikes: 1992 Marin Eldridge Grade, 2007 Kona PHD and 199? Trek 1000 (current build project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideone
...until now i've only used no electrical, mineral based (sodium chloride i think) containers to absorb moisture. they work too and are easy on the electricty bill.
Those chemical dehumidifiers use mainly Silica Gel, Calcium Sulphate, Calcium Chloride or Montmorillonite Clay. I was actually surprised to see that some use actual table salt (Sodium Chloride) - I know it's a dessicant, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be that efficient in a room-size situation.

At least you can pop those mineral dessicants in the oven on low for a little while to 'recharge' them by drying them out, I suppose.

Electrical dehumidifiers don't actually use *that* much electricity - about the same as a small fridge (which uses the same tech) - about 200-300W for one suitable for a small/medium sized room (about 10-12 Litres/day).
Old 04-12-13, 11:20 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rideone
so, not sure where to post this but i figure a handful of mechanics here would have probably dealt with a moist workshop in their day......
Yes this is an issue for your bikes and your tools .. but the real issue is what that much water is doing to the house itself. I can see mold formation, wood rot, mortar degration, etc., affecting the structure. None of that is good for you or the bikes. As others suggested, get a humidifier. But the little guy suggested is not large enough unless you buy about 4 of them for just that room. Better to get an HVAC technician to step in and give you (more specifically the owner since you are renting) some professional advice... and do that right away before the damage gets too serious. It not something you can put off or just wish it away.

Last edited by ksisler; 04-12-13 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 11:28 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Yes this is an issue for your bikes and your tools .. but the real issue is what that much water is doing to the house itself. I can see mold formation, wood rot, mortar degration, etc., affecting the structure. None of that is good for you or the bikes. As others suggested, get a humidifier. But the little guy suggested is not large enough unless you buy about 4 of them for just that room. Better to get an HVAC technician to step in and give you (more specifically the owner since you are renting) some professional advice... and do that right away before the damage gets too serious. It not something you can put off or just wish it away.
+10 Workshop or not, that level of moisture is a problem. I have a rock house (see avatar). I keep a dehumidifier running year round in the basement, and almost year round on the main floor as well. Makes a huge difference!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-12-13, 11:31 AM
rideone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the room is about 350 sq ft.
Old 04-12-13, 01:12 PM
bobn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another thing.
Check the lay of the land, gutters and down spouts, exterior dry wells.
If the rain/surface water isn't draining away from the house, you may have a hard time addressing this problem.
If surface water is seeping through the foundation, especially after a rain or a snow melt, you could have a serious problem.