Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What cycling brain farts have you done lately?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 02:19 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts

I'll share a couple recent ones:

One of the spare tubes I carry to work every day turned out to be a 20" tube for my son's bike
I tried to save three seconds cutting around some traffic by riding on the sidewalk - crashed into a bush
Going out for rides and realizing that I forgot my helmet or hi-viz vest at home
Not turning on the lights
Driving a car accidentally taking a turn I only take on my bike
And my favorite - getting my chain all nice and cleaned before deciding to check it for wear and throwing it out.

Last edited by ScottCommutes; 02-04-24 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added "driving a car"
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-04-24, 02:32 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Last weekend on a ride while bunny-hopping some debris I unclipped one shoe. As I smashed the wedding tackle on the seat the pedal swung into my leg, gashing it open. That was a terrible, not good ride home and the crunchy blood-encrusted sock was the least-worst part after it was over.

-The end
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 02-04-24, 02:46 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Early on, arriving at my car after a long ride on a MUP, I forgot to clip out of my pedals.
Did the ole timber onto the asphalt.

Did it one other time after climbing a tough hill and while taking in the view, managed to timber again when lost in the moment.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-04-24, 02:57 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
While Zwifting in front of a large television I was doing a wicked descent down a large mountain...When the virtual road made a sharp turn I shifted my weight and leaned hard just like real life. I just about flipped over the trainer, the bike, and my clipped in self.

It's a good thing the only evidence was a curious dog that wandered in from the other room to see what the commotion was about.
Old 02-04-24, 03:02 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I use my Trek touring bike a lot, when I switch to my road bike I'll instinctively reach for bar end shifters even though that bike has STIs. It can happen on my flat bar bikes too as I have a mix of thumb, trigger and grip shifters. Happens more when I'm tired.
Likes For gecho:
Old 02-04-24, 03:27 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Used some Goof Off to remove some gluey residue from my fork.
It worked so well, it took off a fair bit of paint. Made me worse than a brain fart.
Old 02-04-24, 04:08 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
I use my Trek touring bike a lot, when I switch to my road bike I'll instinctively reach for bar end shifters even though that bike has STIs. It can happen on my flat bar bikes too as I have a mix of thumb, trigger and grip shifters. Happens more when I'm tired.
You bike has a sexually transmitted infection?
Old 02-04-24, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
This is a bike forum so they are referring to Shimano Total Integration which is there version of the dual control lever meaning your shifter and brakes are integrated in one unit which some people call the silly name of "brifters".
Old 02-04-24, 05:01 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Bought a 185mm 10x1.0 solid CM axle a week ago so I can set my MB up to fit the new Wahoo SNAP I bought last month.

As-is it's too long so I took some measurements, cut off 15mm, changed out original QR hollow axle for the solid one.

Turns out I measured wrong... now it's ~ 5mm too short to accept the lock nuts I want to use.

So I've ordered two more axles....
Old 02-04-24, 05:06 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
It should probably not go on any group rides for a while.... Just saying.
Old 02-04-24, 05:08 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I had a lot on my mind one day (hey, I'm old) and I put a foldable tire on inside out. Worse yet, I rode it about 10 miles before I realized what I'd done.
Old 02-04-24, 07:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Clicking on this thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-04-24, 07:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I had the forethought to check for derailer battery power in my AXS bike this morning, it’s said “critical” or some such so I stuck the battery in the charger and rode the backup bike.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-04-24, 11:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Installed a new chain but didn't feed it through the back of the cage plate. Took me longer than it should to figure out why the new chain was making so much noise, and then to decide if I should take the pulley off or break the chain.
Old 02-04-24, 11:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Drove the bike 20 miles to a group ride and forgot the cycling shoes. Argh, missed the ride.

Have ridden one 90* turn about 100 times over the last 10 years and a few weeks ago, completely spaced out on bike placement/leaning and totally blew the corner and ended up just about going off the road on the opposite side. It was a total brain fart and has kept me on guard ever since.

Descended a curved hill today at 28- 39 MPH and managed to stay on the road the whole time - so life was good.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-24, 04:30 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
After riding disc brakes for the past 4 years, I picked up a classic bike with rim brakes.

20 miles into the ride and *****ing the entire time about how bad the rim brakes sucked, damm bike wouldn't stop worth a darn...

Both QR's on the brakes were opened.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 02-05-24, 07:01 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Not recent, but it's a good one.

Doing maintenance on my bike, replacing cables, bar tape, brake pads, chain, cleaning, etc. Managed to route my front shifter cable over the cable for my (wired, obviously) bike computer. A number of rides later, and the shifter cable had sawed through the bike computer cable.
Wait, it gets better.
In the interim, I had dropped my bike off at the LBS for something or other, I don't remember what. It had nothing to do with cables or the computer.
After I got it back, that's when I noticed the computer cable was sliced through. So, of course, I tried to blame it on the bike shop. They're a good shop, and denied that they had broken the cable. It was only after looking at the cable closely that I could see the road grime in parts of the slice through the cable, so I could verify for myself that this issue pre-dated the bike's trip to the LBS. So, of course, I had to visit the LBS and apologize.

I've had embarrassing trips to my LBS before (and since), for them to fix things I'd hamfistedly messed up, but this has been by far the most embarrassing.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 02-05-24, 07:35 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
while switching tires on a bike I put one of the old ones back on instead of the intended new one. Duh.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 02-05-24, 08:04 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
More than once, I've reached down for my water bottle only to find it isn't there. Of course, it's safely back at home sitting on the kitchen counter.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-05-24, 11:35 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I'll share a couple recent ones:

I tried to save three seconds cutting around some traffic by riding on the sidewalk - crashed into a bush
I wouldn’t categorize this as a brain fart. Going from the street to the sidewalk and back is a learned skill and not trivial, especially if you have to hop the curb. Id say it’s an expected part of the learning curve.

i bet it was funny to watch though.. provided you weren’t injured
Old 02-05-24, 12:07 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Not looking at the weather forecast

I'm currently sitting under a highway overpass, waiting for a rainstorm to end. Got a little too excited to go for a ride after spending a rainy weekend setting up a bike the way I want it. Weather looked promising when I left the house.
Likes For nathand:
Old 02-05-24, 12:37 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I wouldn’t categorize this as a brain fart. Going from the street to the sidewalk and back is a learned skill and not trivial, especially if you have to hop the curb. Id say it’s an expected part of the learning curve.
Judges would also accept "learning curb." :-)
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 02-05-24, 02:39 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Not lately. Nearly 30 years ago I think.

I was at the bike shop that I hung out at and occasionally worked at messing with my bike. I loaded my bike into my truck to go for a ride on a trail system about an hour away. I got there and there was no front wheel.

Turns out that I’d backed straight over it in the parking lot and driven off. By straight over, I mean I straddled it and never touched it. Not a scratch. This was confirmed by the guys at the shop who saw me do it but didn’t have time to run out and stop me.

I probably couldn’t do that twice on purpose without crushing a wheel.

If memory serves, it was either a Nuke Proof or White hub, with Ti-Dye spokes, and Mavic 517 rim. It was waiting safely in the shop when I got back.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-05-24, 02:58 PM
Rick_D

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Not lately. Nearly 30 years ago I think.

I was at the bike shop that I hung out at and occasionally worked at messing with my bike. I loaded my bike into my truck to go for a ride on a trail system about an hour away. I got there and there was no front wheel.

Turns out that I’d backed straight over it in the parking lot and driven off. By straight over, I mean I straddled it and never touched it. Not a scratch. This was confirmed by the guys at the shop who saw me do it but didn’t have time to run out and stop me.

I probably couldn’t do that twice on purpose without crushing a wheel.

If memory serves, it was either a Nuke Proof or White hub, with Ti-Dye spokes, and Mavic 517 rim. It was waiting safely in the shop when I got back.
Whew, what a relief!

Hauled my bike to Napa on a visit to the inlaws. Set up for a nice long ride away from the inlaws and discovered I had left my shoes at home.

An hour later I had a new pair of shoes and cleats from Napa's sole, at the time, bike shop. Expen$ive lesson but at least I got my ride on. And two pairs of shoes to choose from, afterward.
Old 02-05-24, 03:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
& people wonder why slang words like brifters come about....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.