Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Now that is hardcore.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Now that is hardcore.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18486 Post(s)
Liked 15,781 Times in 7,409 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
That's a great story.
Thanks.

What I didn’t mention is that many of the kids sounded only semi-literate in their letters. One boy’s letter was virtually incomprehensible. A notable exception was one girl. She was head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 04-17-23, 02:08 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks.

What I didn’t mention is that many of the kids sounded only semi-literate in their letters. One boy’s letter was virtually incomprehensible. A notable exception was one girl. She was head and shoulders above the rest.
I can believe it. I used to do school shows. I still have envelopes full of thank you letters from various schools. I really appreciated them, and yes, some were almost indecipherable, of course depending on the grade, their individual levels, and learning disabilities.
Old 04-17-23, 02:30 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 1sp33d
It appears that it's all about perspective what hardcore is.

Most of my friends think riding 30 miles is hardcore.
I get the old, “Oh I could never do that!” Therefore they can’t.

The other day, I told someone that I’d made a tote bag for a folding chair. Just about the simplest sewing job. He was amazed that I could do that. I didn’t bother telling him that I’d made panniers, or that my 12 y.o. granddaughter can whip up a ditty bag.

But we all have our gifts. I can’t dance or dress myself.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 04-17-23, 02:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,142 Times in 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, it may surprise some folks to learn that my given name is NOT Eugene, and I'm not a small guy who rides horses.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'll throw you a bone here since a simple funny observation triggered you. I don't golf anymore. I also don't attend mississippi stare anymore. Yet my name claims both.
Simma down.
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Fwiw, my name isn’t Rosef and I’m not an artist.
FWIW, I actually am a Koyote.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks.

That was a cool story.

I've got a friend who's a retired cop. He used to do the department PR -- which included visiting schools and talking to classes. On one such visit, when the elementary school kids were asking him questions about the stuff on his belt, one kid asked "What's in that pouch?" So my friend pulled out the handcuffs and showed them to the kids. Then another kid said, "Oh, yeah, my mom and dad have some of those. They keep them in their bedroom."
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-23, 02:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10499 Post(s)
Liked 12,028 Times in 6,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
FWIW, I actually am a Koyote.
This you?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-17-23, 02:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,142 Times in 4,754 Posts
This you?
That's not me, but I do love me some Roadrunner Fricassee.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-23, 03:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,270 Times in 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators
I get the old, “Oh I could never do that!” Therefore they can’t.
I got those comments a lot by random people watching my daughter hit softballs while she was in HS. She was blessed with strength and power, and improved it with gym work, plus she spent a LOT of time working on her skills under the guidance of a very good instructor. At the age of 16, she had hitting power on the level of elite college players. "I could never do that!"...Well, maybe you could. You just have to put in the same dedicated hard work, over MANY years, starting from a young age. Same as the rest of the players who can hit like that.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-17-23 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 04:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Same guy finished first in the King of the Mountain series here in SoCal. It was a 3 century timed event with 30K total climbing. ( 3 different events ). He wasn't the fastest climber but he was the fastest to complete all 3 centuries. Terry knows those rides but I don't know his times. I did them but my times aren't worth mentioning.
Those King of the Mountains centuries were great fun (my pace in parentheses):
  • Mulholland Challenge (15.6 mph)
  • Breathless Agony (16.3 mph)
  • Heartbreak Hundred (17.3 mph)
I don't remember precisely, but I think I was consistently about 15% slower than the fastest rider.

Old 04-17-23, 04:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3911 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
This has been my experience, too. Now that I'm older, though, I'm not sure that this still applies - recovery takes significantly longer, and I don't see the "training" (using the term loosely) response that I once did. The age varies, but for me I've noticed a significant drop-off after 56-57 y.o., though it's true I did reduce my cycling significantly for a few years there. (Life happens.)

I'm commuting by bike again (finally!) though, so I guess I'll see. I don't expect to ever average 20+ mph for 4+ hr again, though.
I've had a different life and different experiences. I didn't start what might broadly be called "competitive cycling," meaning in my case competitive group rides, until I was about 55. So your age is just when I was starting to get strong and kept getting stronger until my early 60s. Which absolutely does not mean that I wouldn't have been stronger had I started at 40, but that's not what happened. I was too immersed in career then. So yes, it still applies. I'm 77 now and am starting a new training method to overcome a weakness I've developed, and it's working. It's definitely necessary to change one's training emphases as one ages. One's body changes and one's response to training changes.

At your age, one of the things that worked for me was hitting the gym hard twice a week, one of those times after a spin class, and doing sets of 30 to failure. Did that for a couple of years, made a huge difference, after which I started more normal strength training programs. Also started supplementing with whey protein, which also worked. There's a way around almost every obstacle, one just needs to look for the route and the route is going to change with age.

One of the things which changes is the rate of decay of one's ability. The most important thing is to keep at it. I take one month a year to do other stuff like long backpacking trips, do a little running and maybe only a couple rides a week. My experience is that getting it back takes 3 times as long as the period you took off, so watch that. When training, only 1 zero day in a row. It makes sense to take a month mostly off in the fall. That keeps one from getting overtraining syndrome and one needs to start off with a lot of moderate intensity hours anyway. Getting detrained a good bit is a nice wake-up call. I once took a winter off in my early 60s and didn't get it back until the next fall. My whole summer of wonderful rides were not what they could have been.

No, you probably won't be able to do what you did when you were younger, but if that's going to be a problem for you, it's going to be a long tough life. Get over it and get back to having fun. I don't ski black mogul runs anymore, but I still ski as hard as I can and it's still fun. Fred Beckey was still having fun rock climbing at 86.
Old 04-17-23, 04:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8342 Post(s)
Liked 9,182 Times in 4,527 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Those King of the Mountains centuries were great fun (my pace in parentheses):
  • Mulholland Challenge (15.6 mph)
  • Breathless Agony (16.3 mph)
  • Heartbreak Hundred (17.3 mph)
I don't remember precisely, but I think I was consistently about 15% slower than the fastest rider.
I don't remember my times, but I was consistently near the slow end of all riders, except the Heartbreak when I had a good day. Plus, I had done that route many times and knew what to expect.

Our club has the route on our schedule for the 29th of this month. No support, and we don't know about the water crossings yet. I don't know if it's happening for certain. I'll probably wuss out.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-17-23, 06:30 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think there's only one person that's wound up ...
Nope. Just making a statement.
Originally Posted by phughes
Don't mind them. It was a good thread. You actually started a thread commending someone else for their ride, instead of bragging about yours. There have been good comments, and then as in almost all the threads here, it degraded. Not your fault.
Thanks. Whether the guy rode the entire 7+ hours or just did a couple legs with some breaks in between, fact is, he was out there getting it. Good for him.
Originally Posted by drlogik
Off topic I know but this reminds me of something many years ago (25 maybe). I was traveling weekly to Wilmington North Carolina for business and decided to take my swimming stuff and work out at the YMCA there (A good one too). I used to swim competitively in High School and college. So I'm in the pool doing warm-up laps and this group of "old guys" come in with their Speedo's, paddles, inner tubes, etc. "Inner tubes" I thought, cool, these guys are old school. My old college coach made use use them.

I thought that these guys are pretty serious. I started doing a set of 100's Free on a 1:20. Ample time while I'm still getting warmed up. I finish that and the old guys said, "Hey, you wanna swim a set with us?" Sure I said. They start a set of 100's on a 1:05. I'm thinking, are these guys serious?

As a 40 something I couldn't back out, these guys are almost 20 to 40 years older than me. I get done with the 5th one and I'm freakin' gassed. All of them were waiting on me at the wall.

Granted, I hadn't been swimming much but still. They're 60 to 80! These old guys aren't even breathing hard. They start a set of 200's on a 2:30. They smoked me. It wasn't even close. I finish MY workout and meet up with them in the locker room. Turns out these guys were top-end competitive swimmers in their day and still swam competitively in the National Masters program. As I recall, one of the guys was a past champion.

Never judge a book by its cover.

--
I get where you're coming from, although a slightly different take. My community is small and an older demographic, but we do have a public pool. Since I do triathlon, I go to the pool in the summer to get some training in (southern Nevada is pretty sparse on the natural water sources). I've been trying to learn ways to make myself faster and whenever I'm there, I'm training. One day last summer one of the regulars, a little older than me, came up and said, "you're really fast. Do you swim competitively?" I demurred. I guess you could say it's "competitive", but the fact is I'm always in the back half of the pack. Sometimes, even in the back of the balk half.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-17-23, 06:35 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by rsbob
Thanks Jenn for starting a series of posts which give the masses lots to discuss, grouse about, and otherwise show how right they are, unfortunately at your expense. People who have the cojones to start threads, which is the basis of a forum, should be commended for getting things going. Not every post needs to be uncontroversial, rational and boring. Thanks for bringing life to the forum. Keep it up.

Now about those clipless pedals…..
Thanks. I'm surprised at how eager some people are to nit pick just the most trivial things. It's almost like they go out of their way to find stupid stuff to argue about.
It appears that it's all about perspective what hardcore is.

Most of my friends think riding 30 miles is hardcore.
Funny you say that. I was talking to some of the kids in my class (I call them kids because I'm old enough to be their mom) about some of my training rides. These are kids in their 20s and they're saying they couldn't do a 20 mile bike ride, much less 30. I'm thinking, "you're a kid! When I was that age, I could have done 20 miles, stopped for a Whopper, done a couple laps in the pool and then played a nice game of softball to unwind for the day." Kids today.
She should change her nic to "Middle of Nowhere in NevadaJen"?
It's not the middle of nowhere. We have a lot of nowhere in Nevada. Fortunately, I'm a lot closer to somewhere than nowhere. But I've been to nowhere. I know because you have to drive through nowhere to get to somewhere.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-17-23, 06:38 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What happens in Pahrump stays in Pahrump.

Heck, leaving Las Vegas is so popular it even has a theme song.
Got me! Ya, "PahrumpJen" just doesn't have a ring to it. Besides, I say Pahrump and 99% of the population would as "what or where the hell is Pahrump?" Hence, Vegas.
TBH, it doesn't seem any weirder than someone keeping their married name after the divorce, and people do that all the time.

As far as Vegas goes, I don't even think it's a nice place to visit, just too weird.
Why the hell do you think I got out of Vegas? Still close though. Close enough to visit, too far for the crazies to come to me though. I like that.
Old 04-17-23, 09:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,081 Times in 2,720 Posts
Oh, Clark
Yeah, that me...though to be completely fair and honest we were doing the 4 Yorkshiremen bit from Monty Python:

If you don't want to watch the video for some odd reason it is basically 4 guy from Yorkshire out doing themselves on how terrible they had it growing up while drinking Chateau d' Chasolet (SP) I say it a lot but it is one of their funniest sketches but there is a large population that somehow just doesn't get it and it is sad. They are missing out on some of the finest comedic minds in one setting.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-23, 08:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked 5,757 Times in 2,964 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks. I'm surprised at how eager some people are to nit pick just the most trivial things. It's almost like they go out of their way to find stupid stuff to argue about.
It’s very common with people with poor self-esteem trying to make themselves feel better. Unfortunately that strategy only results in temporary satisfaction, since it is no substitute for having a good sense of self, so they have to repeat it over and over again. Its very similar to school yard bullies. Usually it comes from their upbringing and how they were treated as children. Now you know.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-18-23, 09:16 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3041 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
7 hours is a really long ride, maybe a century if one stopped for a real lunch and took a couple of other breaks. OTOH one of my little sayings is that a fit cyclist should be able to ride a century on any given day, no special prep, just dial it back to a sustainable level. Work up to it. 30 miles is perfect for a weekday, 4 hours as hard as possible for the long weekend ride. That's when interesting things start to happen, like you get faster. Takes a few months.
Century = 6 hours for me but that's without stopping. With breaks 7 to 7-1/2 hours.
Old 04-18-23, 09:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,545 Times in 1,523 Posts
Heck, leaving Las Vegas is so popular it even has a theme song.
It's pretty depressing. Not as depressing as The Road though.
Old 04-18-23, 09:42 AM
seypat

Put a rider that's a slow, mediocre climber on a climbing century and they'll be out there all day. Ask me how I know.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-18-23, 10:02 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by hazetguy
how do you know?

i was rather disappointed when i read this thread, after seeing the title. thought it was going to be about 80's hardcore punk. oh well.
Since you asked, I'm a 5'8"ish 200lbish fast twitcher. Most likely one of, if not the slowest climber on the forums that's not obese or has some kind of medical condition. I do the 75 or 100 route of this ride every year because I can. Most of the day is spent going nowhere slow. I'm a great descender however. I'll miss it this year because of a wedding

https://www.ymcacva.org/ride

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29030456
Old 04-18-23, 10:15 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,680 Times in 789 Posts
Ooops, sorry, I thought this was a discussion about the Dubai call girls I keeps seeing here now and then.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-18-23, 11:11 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 758 Posts
how do you know?

i was rather disappointed when i read this thread, after seeing the title. thought it was going to be about 80's hardcore punk. oh well.
Don't ask.
Old 04-18-23, 11:25 AM
VegasJen

how do you know?

Well, hey, if you want to post up some videos of The Clash or Sex Pistols, I'm not stopping you.
Old 04-18-23, 11:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,270 Times in 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Well, hey, if you want to post up some videos of The Clash or Sex Pistols, I'm not stopping you.
I'm not sure either of those would be considered "hardcore".
Old 04-18-23, 11:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
7 hours is a really long ride, maybe a century if one stopped for a real lunch and took a couple of other breaks.
7 hours to do a century sounds about right if it has a lot of vertical (> 10,000 feet). Not counting breaks.

Old 04-18-23, 11:51 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not sure either of those would be considered "hardcore".
Hardcore enough for me. I liked some Clash and Billy Idol back in the day, but have to admit I'm more of a plain Jane bubblegum pop girl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.