Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 04:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,054 Times in 4,480 Posts
Out of that canyon and onto another one. This one had lots of little water flows but not too muddy.

Stopped to have a banana.
Old 02-21-24, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Similarly, I burned out from group riding every Saturday and Sunday with the same club. As exhilarating and fun as a group ride was, it wasn't providing what I needed, or at least not enough of it. That kept me off the bike for several years. I used to largely stop riding in the winter and start up again in spring, but I just never got around to that first spring ride that starts it all up again. There was a whole year when I didn't ride at all, and then several where I probably did less than 500 miles the whole year. I spent my time on archery and bowyery instead.

Then I was discussing bikes with another guy on the archery forum, and mentioned that I wanted something with lower gears than the 39x25 on the Ritchey, and he emailed me a link for a clearance sale at Jenson USA, where they were selling last year's (2006) Bianchi 928 with 10 sp Veloce and a 50/34 crank. I bought that and my interest in riding rekindled, and after that I don't think there was any year where I road less than about 1000 miles - and NEVER in groups!
There are a few racer-boys/girls group road rides in my area that I will join in, on occasion, but I'm generally pack fill. Most often, it will be the used-to-be-racers coffee ride on Sunday mornings. The second half of the ride can get pretty spicy and fun, and some of my best friends do the ride pretty regularly. I generally don't like riding solo on the road. If I'm riding alone, I will most often ride my gravel or MTB.
Old 02-21-24, 05:06 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
#TurnAroundDon'tDrown
Old 02-21-24, 05:13 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I just want to be faster than everyone else around me, I train for the races but know I will never podium. Atleast on in road, I think I could in longer gravel rides. Crits, I don’t stand a chance. I don’t have the situational awareness, nor do I have the lack of abandonment it takes to win. I can’t afford to crash so going all out in a sprint to finish isn’t going to happen.

I do have a strategy for my next crit, A. I’m not going to be the one leading the chase to breakaways, B. when the breakaway is caught and everyone goes into that relax mode I plan on attacking and attacking hard. I am hoping if the time is right I can a jump and hopefully my team mates will be with me. I have enough to do that twice and then I will be spent.

Still trying to figure out the racing strategy in crits, most of my focus so far has been holding my line and not blowing up.
Old 02-21-24, 05:16 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by badger1
I am no fan at all of eastern Canadian winters -- first 40+ years on southern Vancouver Island -- but even I will admit that this isn't good.
There's no virtue in freezing.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-21-24, 05:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Same, here in SW Ontario. 10C (50F, iirc); birds singing; buds appearing; ground is soft; no snow pack. The geese are well into nesting.
I am no fan at all of eastern Canadian winters -- first 40+ years on southern Vancouver Island -- but even I will admit that this isn't good. Supposed to hit 12C middle of next week.
At least Nova Scotia is having a winter, they've really run up their Feb snow total!

Old 02-21-24, 05:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I just want to be faster than everyone else around me, I train for the races but know I will never podium. Atleast on in road, I think I could in longer gravel rides. Crits, I don’t stand a chance. I don’t have the situational awareness, nor do I have the lack of abandonment it takes to win. I can’t afford to crash so going all out in a sprint to finish isn’t going to happen.
I think you mean "reckless abandon"

I do have a strategy for my next crit, A. I’m not going to be the one leading the chase to breakaways, B. when the breakaway is caught and everyone goes into that relax mode I plan on attacking and attacking hard. I am hoping if the time is right I can a jump and hopefully my team mates will be with me. I have enough to do that twice and then I will be spent.

Still trying to figure out the racing strategy in crits, most of my focus so far has been holding my line and not blowing up.
Same thing for me, racing on Zwift, except for the "holding my line" part, which is irrelevant.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-21-24, 06:08 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
At least Nova Scotia is having a winter, they've really run up their Feb snow total!

Syracuse snowfall is 5 feet below average. Sad.
Old 02-21-24, 06:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

If this is where you are, keep working on your fitness and handling skills.
Old 02-21-24, 06:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by rjones28
You can quit any time?
Some of us experience the real thing. No need for social media.

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-21-24, 06:24 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Some of us experience the real thing. No need for social media.

https://twitter.com/HowThingsWork_/s...01940355690973
Oh boy.
Old 02-21-24, 06:46 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If this is where you are, keep working on your fitness and handling skills.
My fitness is high, I think the adrenaline in the crit causes me HR to be higher, my performance in the monster cross race shows that I have the fitness. I think I am more concerned about someone crashing into me in crits. I know out of my control, but it the fear is there and real.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-21-24, 06:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Bring us a couple pics.
I bring the pics, Mt Hamilton Road today (2024-02-21):

First segment

Second segment past Grant Ranch, on the way to Twin Gates

At summit, overlooking San Jose and south bay

I froze my fingers near the top, where it was cloudy and 42ºF. But that's okay -- what a pretty ride.

Old 02-21-24, 07:11 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Whew! Day 5 of 5 that was an odd ride. Wasn't going to do it, then gave in at the last minute by telling myself I would just do something flat. Green jersey on one of the sprints in the 2nd lap. Legs felt tired the whole ride, but still did pretty much what I asked. Watts were down a bit 231 average for the hour.12 week streak. I'm going to bed now.
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-21-24, 07:17 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts

I have a couple thoughts here, and like you, I don't have the nerves of steel required for a bunch finish anymore.
-----
  • Situational awareness - this is needed with any winning strategy in a criterium, whether that is bunch finish or attack timing
  • Don't say that you'll never podium a critierum! Not with that attitude you won't. You're still fairly green at this and I believe you can win with the right mentality
  • Your break counter-attack strategy sounds like a good one! You should try it.
Regarding your counter-attack strategy, this is also where a different kind of awareness helps - knowing the field and knowing who is good. For example if one of the good guys goes but it's solo, or a couple randos, maybe let it go and wait for the counter. If two or three of the good guys go and you want in the break, it's time to go NOW. This is where repeat participation helps, or at least having teammates who can give you the intel.

A lot of this comes down to knowing yourself as a rider, and familiarization with a course. I get most excited by crits with a hill, chicane or some other sort of technical feature that makes it harder to sit in. Still, I can get up the road in a four corner crit just by timing the attack well and knowing who the other good guys are.

Last edited by TMonk; 02-22-24 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-21-24, 07:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by genejockey
I looked at the "Sunrise/Sunset Times" last night, wondering when I could return to riding outdoors, and damned if it's not just 3 weeks from the time change! I had been thinking, ever since the Fall change to Standard Time, that I might use the winter to do some structured training, but I never got around to it, for a couple reasons, but the biggest reason is I didn't have any kind of overarching plan, and I didn't have an overarching PLAN, because I don't have any overarching GOALS. Get fitter? Go faster? Higher FTP? Yes, those would be nice, but what would I do with them? I don't race IRL, and since Zwift once again saw fit to declare me a "C", racing there consists of me watching the lead group disappear in the distance while I look around for another group to ride in so we can all battle for Umpteenth place at the end.

Most training plans seem to be predicated on having some event in the future for which you're building up, knowing that it will be the peak of your fitness and you'll inevitably decline a bit after. But I don't have any such event to aim for. I just want to be able to ride faster for longer, more or less permanently. Where's the training plan for that, apart from "Modified Merckx"? And is there even any downside to simply riding like that all the time - go hard some places, easy in others, and try to pace myself so I tire myself out on every ride?

Anyway, it's almost time for weekday after work rides again, and I've done no structured training, and my FTP seems largely where it was last Fall - somewhere in the 2.8-2.9 w/kg range, and my legs pretty much will take me as far as I have time to go. And I guess that's really all I need.
3 weeks to daylight saving time, "weekday after work rides", SF Peninsula. Hmm.

Consider the Egan Ride, Tuesdays at 6:00 PM during Daylight Saving Time, starting in Los Altos. Pace: "Charge the hills, slow roll in between".

Good training.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-21-24, 07:43 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Syracuse snowfall is 5 feet below average. Sad.
Good site https://howmuchwillitsnow.com/
Old 02-21-24, 07:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
7:24/mi pace on my weekly 15 min jog today. Was able to keep average HR in zone 3 as well - nice. I wonder how fast I could pound out an all-out mile with a proper warmup, if I really went for it.

Did 6:30 as a young lad while earning my "Personal Fitness" boy scout merit badge (I'm an Eagle Scout). Wasn't an athlete then. I'm sure I'd go faster now, just not sure how much. The big cycling legs don't make for particularly fast runners. The aerobic is there, but I'm a bit too muscular to be seriously fast on my feet.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-21-24, 08:06 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Hidden trip wire. Seems like someone indented to inflict harm.
Not liable to trespassers.
Old 02-21-24, 08:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts

Similar goal on each ride through the park.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-21-24, 08:14 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by terrymorse

I froze my fingers near the top, where it was cloudy and 42ºF. But that's okay -- what a pretty ride.
Guy rode at 42F in shorts and short sleeves?
Originally Posted by Gyro
Climate change is getting bad.

Old 02-21-24, 09:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
There's no virtue in freezing.
Point taken, but ... I also receive regular reports from my sister in the 'homeland': weather there is not what it was. Hotter/drier summers; colder/snowier/wetter winters. Sad.
Old 02-21-24, 10:00 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

Yes, it has been absolutely awful out there. We receive regular reports from friends near Halifax. Fortunately, our little place on the Bay of Fundy in N.B. has been spared the worst of it ... so far.
Old 02-22-24, 12:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Guy rode at 42F in shorts and short sleeves?
That’s my buddy Joe. He had arm warmers, rolled down, but his knee warmers were in the laundry. I don’t think he can get cold.

I wore thermal undershirt, arm warmers, leg warmers, shoe covers, Woolie Boolie socks, and I was still cold.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-22-24, 04:09 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I was recently pondering the "why" of doing rides with the intent of getting faster and stronger for longer. Yes, I'm active with the occasional gravel events. but I really don't care much about placing. I have zero interest in returning to the intense suffering of road racing. So, why do I train? For me it's about being better at the "game of bikes". Whether the game is sharing a spicy group ride with other folks, tackling a local climb, or handling a demanding singletrack, feeling like my body can handle those things confidently and competently matters to me. I enjoy the sensation of rolling down the road efficiently, under my own power. I enjoy the sensation of pouring on more watts for a tough section, or in response to other riders in the group raising the pace, and my body responding easily to the demands.
Same here- I don’t race, I do gravel “races” but I’m not competitive. I’ve been doing structured training solely to get faster for the sake of being faster. I like to push myself as far as I can. I do the same when I run.
Likes For phrantic09:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.