Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worried about my tire getting punctured

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 12:17 AM
Alex Reed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

When I ride my bike on uneven terrain, I worry about the bike tire getting punctured. I don't know what are the most common causes of bike tire punctures and how can I prevent them.
Old 03-27-24, 01:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Well, in my experience, there are 3 or 4 kinds of flats that I get.

One is pinch flats, aka Snakebites. You get those when you hit a rock or pothole that pinches the tire and the tube between a hard edge and the rim. You can tell them because the tube will have two cuts right next to each other, about half a cm apart. So, avoid rocks and potholes.

Two other types are generally caused by glass on the road. One of these is a cut or slash. Glass, especially wet glass, will cut tires, right through the tread. I've had glass cut a 1" long slash in a tire that went all the way through the casing into the tube. No way to fix it. So, watch out for glass shards - mine was part of a bottle some jerk had chucked out a car window.

The other type of flat I've gotten from glass is when a tiny piece of it gets into the tire but not all the way through. Over time as the tire flexes it works its way deeper and deeper into the tire until the point is against the tube and eventually punctures it. So, again, avoid glass.

The fourth type of flat is from "Michelin Wires", little wires that come from the woven steel belts in radial tires. If car tires get worn down to the belts, the tiny wires end up on the road, where they can get picked up by your tires, and like the tiny glass shards, gradually work their way deeper and deeper into the tire till they poke into the tube and puncture it. You can't see them, so you have to live with them

Other debris can puncture tires, of course - nails, screws, all sorts of debris on the edges of roads. Some places, thorns are a problem, but not where I ride.

SO, in case you haven't done so yet, learn how to fix a flat on the side of the road, and carry a pump and/or CO2, a spare tube, and tire levers. And remember to run your fingers over the inside of the tire looking for anything that might penetrate the tube before you put in the spare and pop it, too!

EDIT: That's on the road. If you're not on a road, I can't help you. Others will know.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-27-24, 02:38 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
This thread will almost inevitably turn into a tubeless vs tubes debate and/or a debate about whether Schwalbe Marathons are the most puncture proof tire out there.

But my approach to flats is that they cannot be prevented. Even while not riding, there is a non-zero risk of flats through slow leaks in the valve, for example. So there are things you can do to reduce the chances of getting a flat, but it will eventually happen. If you ride places that are more than convenient walking distances to bike shops, then it is worth it to lean to fix a flat, and to carry the minimal equipment necessary to do so.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 03-27-24, 05:52 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Reed
When I ride my bike on uneven terrain, I worry about the bike tire getting punctured. I don't know what are the most common causes of bike tire punctures and how can I prevent them.
Well, "uneven terrain" can encompass different types of riding.
- rough roads - i.e. potholes, debris
- gravel roads
- light off-road riding
- bike paths that are not maintained well
- etc.

The type of flat tire caused by "uneven terrain" is usually the snakebite type that genejockey described. There are generally 3 ways to make this type of flat less likely: (a) higher pressure in your tires (it takes more force to push the tire against the tube to pinch it); (b) higher volume tires - i.e. wider tires (more room for the tire to deflect before it pinches the tube); (c) ride so as to avoid "big hits", i.e. big rocks, roots, drops, etc. at high speeds.

The problem with (a) in "uneven terrain" is that, in many cases, it decreases traction, because the contact patch (the amount of your tire in contact with the surface on which you're riding) is smaller.

You can buy wider tires, just be sure that they will fit on your bike. If you already have a high volume (wide) tire, then higher pressure can reduce the likelihood of flats, as above, but you may sacrifice some traction. How much pressure is "too much" depends on lots of factors - the surface you're riding on; your ability to control your bike in lower traction circumstances; your tolerance for flats (i.e. how much you're willing to sacrifice to prevent the occasional flat); etc. You'll have to figure that out yourself.

Riding style and experience cover (c). It's up to you how you ride, riding to avoid flats at all costs may not be very fun. In general, more experienced riders have fewer flats per mile because they are better able to recognize and avoid situations that are more likely to cause a flat. Riding more (and paying attention) is the prescription for (c).

Another way to reduce the "worry" is, as mentioned by Frkl, to learn how to fix a flat on the road/trail. A flat is not the end of the world. If you carry a spare tube and a pump, then when you get a flat you simply fix it. If you carry a patch kit, that can reduce your worry about multiple flats on one ride. Fixing a flat can be an annoying chore (my Dad taught me how to fix one when I was about 7 years old, and I've been doing it ever since), but with practice you can do it in a few (15-ish) minutes. Some people pride themselves on doing it more quickly, but in actual fact it takes time to stop, shift the chain to big-small (biggest chainring, smallest cog), remove the wheel, remove the tire and tube, identify the cause of the flat (if a snakebite, it may be obvious so this step can sometimes be skipped), get out your tube and pump, replace the tube, pump up your tire, press any remaining air out of the flat tube, pack away the punctured tube and any tools you may have used, pack away your pump, shift back down to a reasonable gear and get going again.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-27-24, 06:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yep, you can conquer this anxiety by learning to repair a puncture.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-27-24, 06:31 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, you can conquer this anxiety by learning to repair a puncture.
Ya beat me to it!!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-27-24, 06:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Actually post #4 beat us both but it was tl;dr
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-27-24, 06:41 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Where I live we have little shards of flint that perform the same function as the little shards of glass mentioned by Genejockey. Pretty much impossible to avoid, so I find that it's a good idea to regularly checking for flints working their way into the tyre . Because they are light in colour, I find that wiping over the surface with a damp cloth will tend to show them up.
Old 03-27-24, 06:47 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
Besides learning to fix a flat and carrying the right tools/parts to do it on the roadside, use puncture-resistant tires. They won't prevent flats, but will help reduce the number of flats.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-27-24, 06:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If flats are a persistent problem, you need a more robust tire like a touring tire instead of a road tire.
There are dozens on the market. You will pay a weight penalty but I like the Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard for my all purpose bike.
No flats in over two years and I ride over all kinds of $#!^ that could cause flats.
Old 03-27-24, 06:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
This thread will almost inevitably turn into a tubeless vs tubes debate and/or a debate about whether Schwalbe Marathons are the most puncture proof tire out there.

But my approach to flats is that they cannot be prevented. Even while not riding, there is a non-zero risk of flats through slow leaks in the valve, for example. So there are things you can do to reduce the chances of getting a flat, but it will eventually happen. If you ride places that are more than convenient walking distances to bike shops, then it is worth it to lean to fix a flat, and to carry the minimal equipment necessary to do so.
I’ve managed to get to the point where flats are a once in 20,000 km occurrence. Just from moving to wider 30 mm tubeless tyres with sealant at lower pressure. Not even using reinforced tyres, just premium road racing tyres like GP5000S TR.

I carry a Dynaplug kit, mini-pump and a spare tube on longer rides, but I’ve never had to use it. I did have to use the Dynaplug kit once in 2022.
Old 03-27-24, 07:21 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I used to worry about this stuff, then just realized it part of the deal that flats happen, it sucks, but once I stopped worrying about it, my rides became much more fun.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-27-24, 07:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Another "trick" that reduces flats a lot - don't ride too close ti the edge of the road. Cars blow debris aside. To 3-5 feet to the right of their tire tracks. (More there traffic speeds are higher.) Beyond that is where the vast majority of glass, debris and tire wires hang out. If you keep your ties on the clean pavement to the right of that, far fewer flats. Also cars tend to hug the insides of turns so that clear pavement is further from the curb on left hand bends and often right to very close on right hand bends. On roads you ride a lot, you will see consistent patterns.

The "how do you deal with traffic" and visibility are for different threads and I won't go there.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-27-24, 07:41 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
What type of terrain are you (the OP) riding on? If you use tires suited to the surface, learn to fix a flat and carry what you need, then there should be no reason to worry.
Old 03-27-24, 07:48 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Reed
Welcome to the club - cyclists have worried about tire punctures since pneumatic tires were invented in 1888.

Uneven terrain is not high on my list of worries about flat tires. Depending on your bike, uneven terrain is perhaps rocks/roots, gravel, cobblestones, bad roads? I don't think any of these are responsible for the majority of flat tires.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 03-27-24, 08:38 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I'm good at spotting nails and screws.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 03-27-24, 09:14 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Keep tires properly inflated. Also, my bikes are equipped with Gatorskin tires. Flats are no longer much of a problem.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 03-27-24, 12:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
avoid thumb tacks

carry some stuff to change a tube or patch a puncture. watch some videos about how to do it. even if you can't or don't want to, maybe a passerby who knows how, will help you
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-27-24, 12:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the uneven terrain for flats. If you get a flat because of the uneven terrain, then you must have tubed tires and are not inflating them enough to keep the rim from pinching the tube between it and the tire.

It's normal for the thin butyl tubes to leak down in just a few days. So check your tire pressure often till you know what rate yours leak down at. Latex tubes are even faster. Both for rolling resistance (good) and for losing air (bad).

Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 03-27-24 at 12:23 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-27-24, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I used to worry about this stuff, then just realized it part of the deal that flats happen, it sucks, but once I stopped worrying about it, my rides became much more fun.
+1. Sometimes I get a little anxious if I’m touring in nowhereville and start out on a unfamiliar, unpaved section of road, but that generally goes away quickly, especially if there are other things to worry about, like making it up the next climb without losing traction. The real concern is not a flat but rather seriously the tire.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-27-24, 01:17 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
I hate when that happens!...

Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-27-24, 01:33 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, in my experience, there are 3 or 4 kinds of flats that I get.

One is pinch flats, aka Snakebites. You get those when you hit a rock or pothole that pinches the tire and the tube between a hard edge and the rim. You can tell them because the tube will have two cuts right next to each other, about half a cm apart. So, avoid rocks and potholes.

Two other types are generally caused by glass on the road. One of these is a cut or slash. Glass, especially wet glass, will cut tires, right through the tread. I've had glass cut a 1" long slash in a tire that went all the way through the casing into the tube. No way to fix it. So, watch out for glass shards - mine was part of a bottle some jerk had chucked out a car window.

The other type of flat I've gotten from glass is when a tiny piece of it gets into the tire but not all the way through. Over time as the tire flexes it works its way deeper and deeper into the tire until the point is against the tube and eventually punctures it. So, again, avoid glass.

The fourth type of flat is from "Michelin Wires", little wires that come from the woven steel belts in radial tires. If car tires get worn down to the belts, the tiny wires end up on the road, where they can get picked up by your tires, and like the tiny glass shards, gradually work their way deeper and deeper into the tire till they poke into the tube and puncture it. You can't see them, so you have to live with them

Other debris can puncture tires, of course - nails, screws, all sorts of debris on the edges of roads. Some places, thorns are a problem, but not where I ride.

SO, in case you haven't done so yet, learn how to fix a flat on the side of the road, and carry a pump and/or CO2, a spare tube, and tire levers. And remember to run your fingers over the inside of the tire looking for anything that might penetrate the tube before you put in the spare and pop it, too!

EDIT: That's on the road. If you're not on a road, I can't help you. Others will know.
↑ Excellent post.

I will add that for the bolded ones, you can often avoid these by checking your tires frequently. That's a pain, but not as much of a pain as dealing with a flat out on the road.

I went for a ride with two other riders through my medium sized cities. Awful road and he had a high performance (light, thin) road tire. He got a flat. Changed the tube, and checked the inside of the tire and found nothing. I asked him to hold on a sec and checked the OUTSIDE of the tire. Good thing the light was good; I found two tiny pieces of glass barely bigger than dust right in the center of the tire. Popped those out with my fingernail. He would have flatted again otherwise.

Thorns and goat heads are the main causes of flats offroad, and maybe sharp rocks if you're really hardcore.
Old 03-27-24, 01:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason

Scrood.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-27-24, 04:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason

Originally Posted by genejockey
Scrood.
That doesn't have to be a big deal. On a tubed tires, a dollar bill will work just fine as a boot you get you home. Then glue on a patch of sturdy fabric. (Real sailcloth from a sailmaker is excellent. Ask for fabric for small dinghy sails.) Glue an oversized patch on with contractor's contact cement. Replace tire at the usual time (ie your definition of "dead").

I make it a point to always have at least 5 bills (of any domination) in my cycling wallet. It is impressive how big a casing rip can be ridden with enough bills and all I've used have survived, then spent. (One trick, seat the bill ends under the beads on both sides to resist pressure and bulging out the cut.)
Old 03-27-24, 04:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
The best way to help prevent a flat is make sure you have a good tire that is properly installed, properly inflated and generally you will be fine. Once you know how to replace a tube it will help greatly and if you then carry the necessary equipment to change the flat (tire levers, new tube, inflation) you will be good. I also recommend having a spare tube as well. There are more than enough people who have replace a tube and have no backup and are like well I can just "blah blah blah" and I say well what if "blah blah blah" doesn't exist or isn't available or you are too far out or something else what do you do. I find having a couple tubes is handy. I generally take on on the ride and the second one at home or if it is a longer ride I might bring both.

You can get other flats from nails and glass and other detritus and that cannot always be prevented but if you are spatially aware and try and avoid that stuff when you can it will help.

What I might recommend is in the comfort of your own home in a nice comfortable chair or couch or area practice taking out the tube and putting one back in and reinflating as you would need to on the road maybe if your pump is gauge less put your floor pump on it as you finish and think it is good to see where you are at and if you need to add more add more and feel and redo it a few times. Help get the muscle memory so when you go to do it on the road in rain or cold or whatever you are better prepared. Once you take off the front and rear wheels a couple times and do a few mock flats you will be better off and if you need to maybe take a piece of paper write down the steps and carry it in your seatbag or SWAT or frame bag or whatever you might be carrying tube and tools in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.