Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need a saddle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-22, 06:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Need a saddle

i'm in need of a saddle and went about measuring my butt. came in at 115mm and what i've read is that i should add 20 mm and buy a seat, i mean saddle that size, that is 135 mm. turns out my current saddle is 135mm. probably a coincidence since i just put my butt on it many years ago and had no problems with it.

i've found a few 135mm saddles but was looking at specialized saddles and according to their measurement guide they say a 143 mm saddle is for me. i'd like to try not buy something that is totally incorrect only to shell out more for a better fitting saddle. does anyone know why there is such a difference in their sizing guide compared to everywhere else i've read? maybe 8mm is not all that much?
Old 12-27-22, 06:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
8mm isn't much. In my experience, a slightly wider saddle is fine, while a too-narrow saddle can be an ass-hatchet.

Spesh makes 135mm saddles; why not just buy one? They offer a 30-day return privilege, even for used items.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-27-22, 07:29 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Saddle needs

You might try looking at "Bisaddle". They are quite adjustable. I just got one and I really like it a lot as far as adjusting the width and overall comfort. They are expensive, but if it is a comfortable saddle, which I find that it is, then it's worth it to me. Good luck.
Old 12-27-22, 07:43 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
does anyone know why there is such a difference in their sizing guide compared to everywhere else i've read?
This attempt at standardizing things with a nominal width is not an exact science. Just looking at pictures of saddles will tell you that they are shaped differently and that the contact points can be further in, further out, further forward, or further back.

As mentioned above, going a little too wide rarely has consequences as compared to the severe penalty for going too narrow.
Old 12-28-22, 08:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
If going by the ages old belief of adding 10 20 mm to your sit bone measurement really got you the correct size saddle for your butt, then why are so many people having trouble finding a saddle that fits them.

You don't always sit on that one spot of the saddle that is measured for your sit bones and the profiles change drastically from rear to front. So maybe Spesh' does something different in the way they design their saddles and size them. I'd go with their recommendation until you actually know better from experience.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-28-22 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-28-22, 10:12 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Why do you. Need a new one?
Old 12-28-22, 11:05 PM
spelger

Old 12-28-22, 11:06 PM
spelger

other than that its fine.
Old 12-28-22, 11:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
I had that saddle with a Trek Fuel EX 7 (2008) mountain bike. I actually really liked it. Thankfully, it didn't do the splits. Now I find the most comfortable saddle is a B-17. I think a lot depends on the shape and curvature of the saddle, and how upright the rider is.
Old 12-29-22, 10:24 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I had that saddle with a Trek Fuel EX 7 (2008) mountain bike. I actually really liked it. Thankfully, it didn't do the splits. Now I find the most comfortable saddle is a B-17. I think a lot depends on the shape and curvature of the saddle, and how upright the rider is.
i've looked at these. had another look just now and never saw this perspective before. there does not seem to be much support in the B-17. maybe its the hammock like support that makes them comfortable? what is this like and what kind of riding do you do? i ride an endurance bike and am typically not in any one position on the bars: hoods, drops, aero bars, i'm all over the place depending on the terrain.

Old 12-29-22, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Just consider if you really want to care for that Brooks saddle by rubbing dressings and other stuff on it. I sweat profusely and my shorts and bibs are soaked at the end of a ride. Whether that's a problem for the saddle or not, I just couldn't get past the idea that I'd have a soggy, smelly stretched out piece of leather to put my butt on.

And then there is also rain water from the road being flung up on it's underside... unless you have fenders.
Old 12-29-22, 11:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The forum should consider putting all the saddle threads in the top group, like the helmet thread, and what to lube your chain with.
Old 12-29-22, 11:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yeah, if I lived in Mississippi, I might not have one.

spelger : I have Brooks saddles on several bikes, but the one most relevant to you is my main ride, which is an endurance/all road bike. The bars are about 15mm lower than the saddle (i.e., I am kind of upright) and they are drops, so I am all over the place position-wise.

There are other saddles, like Berthoud, you might want to check out. Most of these are narrower, and allow for a more aggressive position. I used the Aspen for awhile on my main ride, but I found I was sitting on the reinforcement and it start to hurt about 30 miles into a ride. I put it on a different bike where it is fine.

And if that isn't expensive enough, the new carbon fiber 3D printed saddles might be worth checking out (Fizik, Specialized).

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 12-29-22 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 11:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rydabent
The forum should consider putting all the saddle threads in the top group, like the helmet thread, and what to lube your chain with.
The forum should consider putting all evangelism threads in P&R.
Old 12-29-22, 02:40 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by rydabent
consider it cheap entertainment.
Old 12-29-22, 03:20 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If you’re open to leather I have Berthoud saddles on all my bikes, my preference for non-leather saddles is generally WTB.
Old 12-29-22, 04:17 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Almost impossible to say what's going to work for someone else regarding saddles. My road bike has what many would consider a very wide saddle--a Serfas Dorado which is 175mm wide. Now, I'm very slim, so if you saw me, you'd think it was way too wide--but it works for me. Made sure I rode it and was careful installing in case I had to use the return policy. The only recommendation I can make is see if the store has a saddle in stock on which you can sit, even if on a bench and check out the return policy and ride it a good bit within the time frame to see if you like it or need to return it. Specialized return policy: Returns Policy | Specialized.com
Old 12-29-22, 04:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
other than that its fine.
If it worked fine for you, can you find the same one again? Looks like a Bontrager.
Old 12-29-22, 04:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
For what it's worth, and probably true for almost any saddle you buy - I've been using Kontact saddles for years and they have a 30 day refund policy if the saddle doesn't work for you. Even if you 're not interested, their website has an interesting section on how sit bone measurement may or may not work for any particular type of saddle. Worth reading regardless of what saddle you use.

All that said, there's no way to pick a saddle other than trying it, imho. If your old saddle was good for you, buy another. If not available new, look on EBay.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-29-22 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-30-22, 09:43 AM
spelger

Kontact was out of stock even though there were only two saddles on their site. I looked at those Berthoud saddles and nearly pulled the trigger on one of them but ended up going with this:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ph...=232610-156590

the return policy is good and since i do a fair amount of riding on the aero bars i thought i'd try out the cutout section. read that the leather cutout versions don't last as long as the non cutout versions.

i don't even know if the cutout version will make any difference but i't like to give it a spin. should know in a week or two.