Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brake light mount suggestion

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 12:37 PM
MrVee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have an ebike with a rear rack. I also have a brake light/turn signal/alarm indicator all-in-one. I would like to add the brake light to the rear rack using some kind of adaptor (a rod) so that I can use it as turn signal indicator, brake light, bell, etc. The question is what type of solution do I go with? I am thinking some kind of an inverted U shaped (with the base of the U longer than the sides) rod that can be attached to the rack that should do it. Does anyone have any tips on how to do it? TIA.

Unfortunately the site wouldnt let me add pictures

Thanks,
Ram.
Old 04-18-24, 12:42 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 138 Posts
Don't these things usually come with a couple of mounts? Post a link of the rack and light combo if you can't post pics.
Old 04-18-24, 01:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
go to a hardware store and peruse the aisles. not H0meDep0t, go to a real hardware store like Ace or TrueValue or ServiceStar. there are lots of ways to do this and seeing what is available will either fit the bill or give you an idea.
Old 04-18-24, 03:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 2,689 Posts
Generally that sort all in one combo stuff is unfortunately not designed to work well or last but usually will come with some mounts. I would not spend a lot of time trying to build a mount for a product not designed to last.

So far in the years of looking this has been the only e-bike specific turn signal I would trust and that would be a part of the system rather than a battery or usb charged unit:
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/blin...odukt/680.html
For rear light I would highly recommend this:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/874099
I have one of those currently on one of my e-bikes and it is fantastic works really well, nice and bright and alerts me to other vehicles behind and also flashes at them to know I am in front of them. I have it wired in to my Vado SL and was initially just wanting it for the radar function and was going to add a second wired in light and am now canceling those plans as it is plenty bright and visible and the added notification does what I wanted the other light for.

For turn signals at one point I had considered a motorcycle system from MotoGadget for my Supercharger2 but realized it would be a huge pain to wire together but am excited for that new B+M system and may end up getting it.
Old 04-18-24, 05:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I like to use black zip ties to attach accessories or a mount for an accessory. If you play around with the routing of the zip ties, you can tuck and snip the excess so it looks good. It's a very durable and cheap method.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-19-24, 02:50 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I like to use black zip ties to attach accessories or a mount for an accessory. If you play around with the routing of the zip ties, you can tuck and snip the excess so it looks good. It's a very durable and cheap method.
And easy to modify as you use it and come up with better ideas.