Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Wabi

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-21, 10:58 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
I believe so. Not sure if they were Formula first and Origin8 second (or vice versa) but I can only find them under the Origin8 name these days.

You may not "need" another bike but n+1 is always a thing, no?
I believe Origin8 sources them from Formula, but usually make some slight modifications so they are proprietary. Most Origin8 components are rebranded / slightly modified versions of other supplier options. They are an in-house brand of one of the 2 big bicycle distributors so they don't 'make' their own components. But that is a common approach for many brands. They don't actually make the components, but source them from suppliers in Taiwan (or China) to their specs.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-10-21, 11:02 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Originally Posted by stevel610
I just measured them (700x32 GP5000's). Front runs 29 wide by 28 high at 70psi. Rear runs just a hair under 30 wide by 28 high at 80psi. This is after 600 miles.
All tires will run a little differently in profile/width depending on the internal rim width of the wheels. With our narrower rims, the tire width will run a little narrower. If you ran a wheel with a wider rim, it will actually make the tire run wider. For example, a 32mm tire on our rim will fit a Special. However, a 32mm tire on an H+ Son Archetype (5mm wider rim) won't as it widens the tire too much and it will rub.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-10-21, 11:05 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Those are directional tires, and they are facing the wrong way. You need to reverse the wheels, at least in the the front.
True. The tires are mounted directionally. The default direction is on the freewheel side (unless spec'd by the customer) so the fixed side is reverse. However, most riders won't notice the difference.
Old 07-10-21, 11:05 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Those are directional tires, and they are facing the wrong way. You need to reverse the wheels, at least in the the front.
True. The tires are mounted directionally. The default direction is on the freewheel side (unless spec'd by the customer) so the fixed side is reverse. However, most riders won't notice the difference.
Old 07-10-21, 11:06 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Thanks. Bike comes on the freewheel side, as shown I had switched it to Fixed. I put the front on with the same orientation for uniformity.
Ooops. Sorry, didn't see this response.
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-10-21, 11:13 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I just measured them (700x32 GP5000's). Front runs 29 wide by 28 high at 70psi. Rear runs just a hair under 30 wide by 28 high at 80psi. This is after 600 miles.
thank you.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 07-10-21, 03:21 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
All tires will run a little differently in profile/width depending on the internal rim width of the wheels. With our narrower rims, the tire width will run a little narrower. If you ran a wheel with a wider rim, it will actually make the tire run wider. For example, a 32mm tire on our rim will fit a Special. However, a 32mm tire on an H+ Son Archetype (5mm wider rim) won't as it widens the tire too much and it will rub.

Do you know if the Thunder CX wheelsets fit the Classic with 32s?

Last edited by jay4usc; 07-10-21 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 09:50 PM
baristabaker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
That is a gorgeous bike you got there! Love that color.

Upgrades
Seatpost: Ritchey Comp
Brakes: Ultegra
Pedals: Shimano PD-EH500/ PD-M540
Wheelset: Velocity A23 32h
Crankset: Sram Omnoms (on my other blue Classic, the red one has the stock Andel crank)
Saddle: Ergon SM
Paint (obviously).
Chain: KMC z8.3

Otherwise, everything else (except brake cables I think) are stock.

I upgraded the seatpost because it kept slipping on the stock one bolt post and every time I'd hit a hole, the seat would tilt upwards at a very uncomfortable angle. Anybody else have/had this issue?

I bought a new wheelset right before I got hit by a car back in June 2020. Still have to true the stock wheels that were on there at the time. I'm running the stock wheelset on my other blue Classic and it's awesome.

So far the powder coat still looks brand new, even after crashing (again) at 25mph. If you're looking for a well priced, great powdercoat in NYC, check out Espo's in Staten Island.
Thank you, you really have a winner!
Old 07-11-21, 02:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Yeah, they came in the plastic bag with the warranty card. They have since been placed on both bikes, though thanks for the heads up!
Ah, that explains my issue. When I got my bike I couldn't find the tubing decal anywhere so they sent me one in the mail. After reading your reply I now realize it's because I didn't get the bag with a warranty card. No big deal, it's a steel frame
Old 07-11-21, 09:46 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Ah, that explains my issue. When I got my bike I couldn't find the tubing decal anywhere so they sent me one in the mail. After reading your reply I now realize it's because I didn't get the bag with a warranty card. No big deal, it's a steel frame
I didn’t get one either. I will contact them see if they can send me one.
Old 07-12-21, 04:28 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Originally Posted by ceelint
My Classic
where did you buy your handlebars? Looks really clean
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 07-12-21, 04:42 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
where did you buy your handlebars? Looks really clean
​​​​​​thanks! They're the Cinelli Valencia bars.... found them in the classifieds over on another forum.
The VeloOrange Milan bar is very similar and silver.

Last edited by ceelint; 07-12-21 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For ceelint:
Old 07-17-21, 05:17 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Im just over 6'2 but IDK if a 58 or something bigger would be best
I’m 6’1 and I tried a 58 but it was too small, so I switched it with a 60cm. I have long-ish legs, 80cm saddle height, and with the 58 the saddle-to-bar drop was a lot unless I stacked up the spacers and flipped the stem. 60 looks much more elegant (and doesn’t have any more reach than the 58, FWIW).
Old 07-20-21, 05:15 AM
Whitecoyote

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Wabi Special

Old 07-22-21, 03:53 AM
Lazyass

I feel sorry for Wabi right now because of the shortages, they must be losing serious money. The bikes sell like hotcakes. Last week they had some copper and purple Specials but must have sold out in one day. I was actually interested in the Kerian purple and was waiting for them to be posted on the announced day. I checked the website the very hour they went on sale and there was no 55cm, so either they didn't get that size or if they had one it sold instantly. All the other sizes were out of stock by the end of the day I believe.
Old 07-22-21, 10:27 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

I feel sorry for Wabi right now because of the shortages, they must be losing serious money. The bikes sell like hotcakes. Last week they had some copper and purple Specials but must have sold out in one day. I was actually interested in the Kerian purple and was waiting for them to be posted on the announced day. I checked the website the very hour they went on sale and there was no 55cm, so either they didn't get that size or if they had one it sold instantly. All the other sizes were out of stock by the end of the day I believe.
Did you email them asking if they had a waiting list? I have a feeling they had a pre order list for the purple.
Old 07-23-21, 02:04 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Did you email them asking if they had a waiting list? I have a feeling they had a pre order list for the purple.
They posted on FB that it was first come first serve.
Old 07-23-21, 08:04 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Well, we aren't losing money as much as not being able to sell as much as we (or customers) would like. The Keirin Purples were a limited run so we ran out quickly (plus splitting them between frames and complete bikes). We had more Autumn Coppers but the demand was so high that they all went within a day.

Unfortunately, the supply chain issues in Taiwan are out of our control, but a lot of other companies are in the same boat. Everyone is just waiting their turn. It will probably resolve itself in about a year....
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 07-24-21, 02:10 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Well, we aren't losing money as much as not being able to sell as much as we (or customers) would like. The Keirin Purples were a limited run so we ran out quickly (plus splitting them between frames and complete bikes). We had more Autumn Coppers but the demand was so high that they all went within a day.

Unfortunately, the supply chain issues in Taiwan are out of our control, but a lot of other companies are in the same boat. Everyone is just waiting their turn. It will probably resolve itself in about a year....
That's good. I see all these businesses getting killed off and it worries me because I do want to have a another Special one of these days.
Old 08-12-21, 03:44 AM
netjack

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like it'll be a few months before the next shipment comes in...