Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Diamondback Apex! CL Score and build thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1985 Diamondback Apex! CL Score and build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 10:32 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hows your Apex project coming PUREBIKES? A couple weeks ago I acquired the same bike. I have been keeping an eye out for an Apex at a good price for a couple years, since I sold my '87 that was a bit small for me.
Seems to be all original except tires. As found:

Here is the one I sold awhile back. It was a couple inches small for me but I rode it a few thousand miles, mostly as a commuter bike, but I also did some trail riding on it:
Old 06-09-15, 09:50 PM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
Very nice. I have one of those, it's my daily rider. Here's an old pic of mine.. it's basically the same as in this pic but some parts have been upgraded since it was taken. I wish I could find a second frame in my size i would do a drop bar conversion on the second frame

There was a review in the March/April 1986 issue of Mountain Bike for the Adventure magazine (more issues here: 1986 - CB Klunkers )

btw i'm not 100% sure but I think the model year is 1986
Here's a 22" that I am trying to document. Seems its an early 1986 judging by Number 6 on serial code and datable components ranging from February to March of 1986, the first catalog mention was May of 1986. Any information on this bike is appreciated. Differences with the more popular 1987 are full XC in '86 vs Shimano in '87; not rear rack fittings on rear dropout; and RD guide on spacer at rear Roller can brake boss. Although, a 22" unlike the Apex the two water bottle bosses are one on each tube.

Thanks
Attached Images
Old 06-10-15, 05:23 AM
purebikes 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts
Hows your Apex project coming PUREBIKES?
Sadly I have not been able to work on it yet. It still sits as found. Hopefully I can build it up this weekend but you know how that goes with a house renovation in progress. I have been trying to get a day to wrench on bikes for about 6 months it seems...
Old 09-30-16, 09:29 PM
1Ronald

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll answer for him.

How's it coming? I'll tell you. He f***ed it up. You wouldn't recognize it now. Was a beautiful Apex. Was a great buy. Back when. Back then. Not now.
Old 09-30-16, 11:05 PM
QStorm

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Ronald
How's it coming? I'll tell you. He f***ed it up. You wouldn't recognize it now. Was a beautiful Apex. Was a great buy. Back when. Back then. Not now.
I saw it for sale in the CV for sale thread a while ago (see link below) and saw that he did a drop bar conversion with bar end shifters (friction, I think?) but kept the deerhead bits. I was actually kinda bummed cause it is my size and, I've always wanted a older mtn dropbar conversion but don't have the budget for another bike at this time. I'm not quite a noob but, I have very little wrenching experience. Where, in your opinion, did he go wrong?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...er-20-ctt.html

Last edited by QStorm; 10-01-16 at 01:06 AM. Reason: fix a typo and add a link
Old 10-01-16, 07:57 AM
9volt 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
That Apex is very similar an 88 Scott Boulder. Same chain stay spoke holders. This is one of my favorite bikes right now:

Old 10-01-16, 04:49 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
These early MTB's can be fun ---- we have a couple of Diamondback threads floating around here,

but I like sharing pics anyway ----- a pair of seldom used Fleet Streaks , - I can only guess was a his n hers combo at some point

Anyway - great condition , --- the red one I left alone but the blue one I treated to a BMX inspired spruce up just for fun - in homage to DB's BMX roots
--- Its been ridden once - LOL -- but looks cool

I have space in the Bat Cave for a Sand Streak if one ever comes along , but if not, these will do fine for some fun time cruisin'

Old 03-27-21, 11:48 AM
sedhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to replace the fork on this very bike!!

Stumbled across this post on the forum, saw the photo and said, "hey, that's my bike!!" I've been trying to find a replacement for the fork for this bike, or at least one that will work as a replacement. If I could find the specs on it, I could probably find a replacement, but 36 years might too far down the line to find any specs for this online. Anyone out there able to help me out?
Old 08-16-21, 10:24 PM
rxinhed
Built to Ride Leisurely

Bikes: Schwinns and a GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sedhead
...saw the photo and said, "hey, that's my bike!!" I've been trying to find a replacement for the fork for this bike...t?
I'm reading up on this discussion of Apex versus Ascent this evening, as I have both but still gathering information on which to keep in my stable. I have a Schwinn Klunker build, a Stingray build, and a morphing GT BMX cruiser project...but none are suited for much road-centric riding. I've used some Tange 26" BMX forks on my Schwinn, a piece that I purchased an honest 40 years ago and were destined for my teenage-owned Schwinn stolen in 1983.

Which forks were you seeking?
Old 08-17-21, 04:48 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Those are sweet bikes. You have the makings of a great adventure touring bike there. I recently rehabbed a yellow one . One thing I would highly recommend is to strip down the bike and rub out the paint with white polishing compound. That will remove a lot of marks and blemishes in the paint. Often what looks like a scratch is really on top of the paint and the polishing compound will remove them without harming the finish. After that use a good carnauba wax on it. Alternatively get some Rustoleum Automotive clear and clear coat it. I have posted a number of times with tips and instructions how to do this. It will make the paint look like new. My yellow one had fork braze on's for panniers along with the extra bottle cage under the down tube. I am told that one was for carrying camp fuel.
Old 08-17-21, 08:10 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
hah I LOVE the ping sound my frame makes. I've wondered how the non-infinity frames feel, if any different. I wish I could find another one in my size with all of the original bits

btw, are you sure production moved to Taiwan in 87? I have an 88 Ascent EX which was made in japan, I assume the Apex would be made in japan as well. I had an 89 Apex and it was made in Taiwan
Here's my 1988 Apex. It has a "MADE IN JAPAN. DESIGNED IN USA" decal on the seat tube just above the bottom bracket.
Old 08-18-21, 02:42 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
As far as i know, it depends on the model, the higher end models were Japan and the others were Taiwan...