Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fork upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-21, 09:18 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I don't think anyone here has ever, or would ever recommend a rigid carbon fork for 'actual' mountain biking. The OP's bike, with it's slick tires, low saddle, and extra-high trekking bars looks like an MUP cruiser, so the fork he picked seems use appropriate.

I've never quite figured out why everyone on BikeForums feels like they have to ride through every pothole instead of going around; is there some Rule about deviating from 'The Line' that I'm unaware of? Or why obstacles like that are such a big deal in the first place? Get your butt off the saddle, bend your knees, and shift your weight off the front wheel. Is Riding Light considered a dark art around here?
I am not mountain biking with it...I would probably shattered into a million pieces if I mountain bike. It's mainly going to be used for street riding and gravel roads/rough paved roads. I tend to avoid potholes. The bike came with an extender on it. I could take it off, but it gives the bike a bit of charm, and does let me ride more upright. I added the trekking bars, myself because I like them and they're fun to ride.

By the way what does MUP mean? Thanks!
Old 06-05-21, 09:23 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Must of been cheap Wall Mart bikes...
I've had a Walmart bike. It was a GMC Denali road bike, the components were garbage, however the frame was stout. I regret not taking it with me, because I would turn into a gravel bike. The fork was solid, and could accommodate several different 700c tire sizes. It survived the mean streets of DTLA.
Old 06-05-21, 09:49 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
AND pressurized aircraft like airliners have a limited lifetime measured in pressurization cycles, not flight hours or any such calendar time. Every flight leg (takeoff/landing) counts against the 'lifetime' of the airframe. The airplane boneyards out west are full of airliners less than 20 years old - ones that have already reached their limit of pressurization cycles. Why? Remember when Aloha Airlines Flight 243 lost an entire section of cabin 'roof' a number of years ago (April 1988)? Too many pressurization cycles that caused microscopic cracks in the skin, which also allowed corrosion from the salt air to weaken further. The plane was only 19 years old.

Unpressurized aircraft generally have component lifetimes measured in flight hours, if they have such a limit at all. That's why we still have DC-3/C-47s flying commercial operations around the globe at 80+ years old!

There is a lot more to that story. IIRC in excess of 80,000 flight cycles, & the epoxy they used to bond the panels never actually bonded because the mechanics that installed it were in a hurry. Had they been patient & followed procedure, the still cold (from frozen minus 80f) epoxy would not have been wet with condensation & the proper structural bond would have been achieved. The result of this error left the full structural load on the inadequet number of fasteners...for 80,000 cycles.

But what do I know? I only worked there installing fasteners & epoxy for a really large portion of my working career. Because of this failure there are now fail-safe straps installed at every frame.

They alao had a similar issue with skin laps using too few rows of fasteners a few years back. In extreme high use aircraft. The lap would "straighten out" causing cracking parallel to either side of the lap. The solution was to make the overlap of the lap a bit bigger & add an extra row of fasteners so the twisting force that was a product of puting the panels under tension was reduced.

I've worked on in service aircraft that were as many as 3 feet longer than originally built because of the accumulated stress loads over the airframes lifetime & their service will continue until something cheaper to operate comes along. Most aircraft in boneyards has to do with operating cost rather than lifecycles. That's why they are in storage & not scrap in the recycling pile. Yes, We've scrapped a few failures too. Those leave in pieces on trucks. That happens very rarely. The cause is almost always Manufacturing failure to properly execute on Engineerings instructions.

Blanket statements about any material without regards to the engineering involved in the structure or failure mode highlights said persons ignorance ignorance.

Last edited by base2; 06-05-21 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-05-21, 10:16 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
How does someone abuse a bike fork, exactly?
If the carbon fork you are using (and that is shown in the photo of the 1st post) has a carbon steer tube, using it at such extremes of excessive spacers could be considered "abuse". I would not ride it as-is. If you have to ride those bars up that high you really do need a steel fork or at the very least a carbon fork with an aluminum steer tube. I have always been taught that use of spacers in excess of about 30 mm puts undue stress on the steer tube on a carbon fork. To my eye, if you plan to keep this bike, get a bike shop to re-configure your stem and bars so that the fork steerer can be cut down for increased safety.

Last edited by masi61; 06-05-21 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 06-05-21, 11:05 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by masi61
If the carbon fork you are using (and that is shown in the photo of the 1st post) has a carbon steer tube, using it at such extremes of excessive spacers could be considered "abuse". It would not ride it as-is. If you have to ride those bars up that high you really do need a steel fork or at the very least a carbon fork with an aluminum steer tube. I have always been taught that use of spacers in excess of about 30 mm puts undue stress on the steer tube on a carbon fork. To my eye, if you plan to keep this bike, get a bike shop to re-configure your stem and bars so that the fork steerer can be cut down for increased safety.
The fork itself is properly sized. The bike came with an extender that raises the handlebars up. I've contemplated removing it, but I am going to keep it on for now...even if it looks kind of goofy.
Old 06-05-21, 11:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la

By the way what does MUP mean? Thanks!
Multi Use Path
Old 06-05-21, 11:31 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Multi Use Path
Makes sense. Thanks!!!
Old 06-05-21, 12:49 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My education IS in engineering - so I feel that I CAN speak with some degree of NON-ignorance. I also fly - since 1975. I've also done maintenance on an airplane, under the supervision of a licensed A&P.

There are testing methods to look for micro-cracks in metals (MagnaFlux and Zyglo). What we commonly call 'carbon fiber' is technically known as Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer. There ARE testing methods for cracks or other damage to carbon fiber, but they are beyond the scope of the average backyard mechanic. Damage to carbon fiber components may not show to the naked eye. Eddy current testing, and ultrasonic testing are two methods that are the most popular... Airliners ARE routinely tested with ultrasound devices on the airframe, wings, and tail surfaces... A carbon fiber bike frame, fork, or wheel isn't.

As for the aircraft in the boneyards, many are not all that 'old'. YES, some were taken out of service due to efficiency (or regulatory changes), but many are there because of lifetime cycles. When I was with the airlines, they were just introducing the 737-300/500. The -200 was being removed for two-fold reasons - engine efficiency being one, and noise being the other. The high-bypass engines of the 300/500 were more efficient and much quieter. A bunch of pilots were sad to see the 727s retired. Faster than stink, but noisy! But now the 300/500 are pretty much retired in favor of the 700/800/MAX... The L-1011 and DC-10/MD-11 were phased out due to regulatory changes that no longer required more than two engines for over-water flights . ETOPS meant that the twin-engine 757 and 767 could be used for transoceanic passenger flight -
Old 06-05-21, 02:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A limited airframe life is driven by the fatigue characteristics of aluminum.

There is no such limitation for carbon fiber.
That does not mean that they are immune to other failure modes:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ngerous-flaws/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-7fba0533d566/
https://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/27/s...stic-tail.html
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-05-21, 04:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
ETOPS meant that the twin-engine 757 and 767 could be used for transoceanic passenger flight -
ETOPS - Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim

Old 06-05-21, 05:24 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
ETOPS - Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim
That's NOT what the acronym was -- IIRC, it was for 'Extended Twin-engine OPerationS' or something like that... The available thrust of ONE engine was enough to sustain flight for an extended period of time - enough to get to the destination. And no - it wasn't just enough power to get to the crash site -- I've heard that one enough, too...
Old 06-05-21, 05:55 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
(Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim is) NOT what the acronym was
Not officially, but that’s what the aircraft engineers and mechanics called it.

They are funny people (for the most part).

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-05-21 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-05-21, 06:23 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
There is a lot more to that story. IIRC in excess of 80,000 flight cycles, & the epoxy they used to bond the panels never actually bonded because the mechanics that installed it were in a hurry. Had they been patient & followed procedure, the still cold (from frozen minus 80f) epoxy would not have been wet with condensation & the proper structural bond would have been achieved. The result of this error left the full structural load on the inadequet number of fasteners...for 80,000 cycles.

But what do I know? I only worked there installing fasteners & epoxy for a really large portion of my working career. Because of this failure there are now fail-safe straps installed at every frame.

They alao had a similar issue with skin laps using too few rows of fasteners a few years back. In extreme high use aircraft. The lap would "straighten out" causing cracking parallel to either side of the lap. The solution was to make the overlap of the lap a bit bigger & add an extra row of fasteners so the twisting force that was a product of puting the panels under tension was reduced.

I've worked on in service aircraft that were as many as 3 feet longer than originally built because of the accumulated stress loads over the airframes lifetime & their service will continue until something cheaper to operate comes along. Most aircraft in boneyards has to do with operating cost rather than lifecycles. That's why they are in storage & not scrap in the recycling pile. Yes, We've scrapped a few failures too. Those leave in pieces on trucks. That happens very rarely. The cause is almost always Manufacturing failure to properly execute on Engineerings instructions.

Blanket statements about any material without regards to the engineering involved in the structure or failure mode highlights said persons ignorance ignorance.
All I know is UPS has a lot of planes from the 60s and 70s still flying, like the MD-11's.
Old 06-05-21, 06:30 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Must of been cheap Wall Mart bikes...
What would it matter where they came from, if only one of them had a failure, that was my fault?