Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 07:22 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8852 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I sometimes ask this myself.

Got back from Ohio near that location about an hour earlier. In Campbell County lost about 15 minutes in a backup for an accident that was on the other side of the road. SMH.

Too bad we couldn't have worked out a meetup. Maybe some day.
why not at nearby Mt Mitchell?
Old 04-09-24, 08:16 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,095 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I've seen multiple reviews of the GTI and R, and much as I loved my old, 1986 GTI (with all of 109 hp!), I am VERY put off by the knobless, buttonless infotainment center, which strikes me as a Really Bad Idea. Drivers are distracted enough as is. To have to go through menus to change the temp, or turn down the music? Are they nuts? Didn't they do any road testing?

apparently they didn’t learn the lesson from this car back in 1988

Old 04-09-24, 08:19 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,095 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Another Tuesday, another 40+ mile ride. Pretty windy but I did sit on a friend's wheel for a good part of the headwind, which was nice. Was another friend's birthday lunch after so, of course, I ate way too much pizza.
according to Super Hunky there is no such thing as too much pizza (and beer)
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-09-24, 08:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12799 Post(s)
Liked 7,718 Times in 4,093 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Another Tuesday, another 40+ mile ride. Pretty windy but I did sit on a friend's wheel for a good part of the headwind, which was nice. Was another friend's birthday lunch after so, of course, I ate way too much pizza.
I only rode 12 miles. Ate way too much afterwards: 4 tacos, 2 sides beans, cheeseburger, fries.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-09-24, 09:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10448 Post(s)
Liked 11,942 Times in 6,112 Posts
I had a fairly disappointing ride. I took the Ritchey, which felt okay, but I was really SLOW! Looking at my average HR, I didn't go hard at all, but the legs just didn't feel snappy at all. I guess this is one of those "Cycling Dog" days that pay for the "Cycling God" ones. Or maybe low blood sugar, since I'm feeling really empty atm.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 05:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Time to ride!

Likes For datlas:
Old 04-10-24, 06:43 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I sometimes ask this myself.

Got back from Ohio near that location about an hour earlier. In Campbell County lost about 15 minutes in a backup for an accident that was on the other side of the road. SMH.

Too bad we couldn't have worked out a meetup. Maybe some day.
Indeed. Would have liked to stop but we were definitely in the mood to get home.

Probably about 30 minutes sitting on I-40, then a 30 minute detour around the north side of Asheville that supposedly still saved us 20 minutes, and then another 20 minutes on the south side of Asheville.
Old 04-10-24, 07:03 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,245 Posts
We got back from Missouri last night at about 9:30.

Overall it was a fantastic trip. All the work I did on our new-to-us car held and it gave us no issues over the ±1500 miles.

Got to see some family I haven't seen since our wedding 5 years ago, and got to meet some more family that I hadn't before.

We had perfect weather in Doniphan, MO for the 4 minutes 12 seconds of totality. Very different vibe from 2017, when we saw totality on a bluff with a small group. There were hundreds at the park we watched at, but it was still an amazing experience. I took no pictures since I knew more talented folks like BillyD were out getting better shots than I ever could.

Afterwards we went to eat in downtown, happened to walk by a tattoo shop offering $60 flash art and my wife and I decided on a whim to get tattoos together.

We then drove in to Nashville and spent the night. Got up the next morning and went to the Parthenon in Centennial Park, then drove the rest of the way home.

My work alarm sure was early this morning. Thankfully it will be a short week.
Old 04-10-24, 07:12 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11976 Post(s)
Liked 6,666 Times in 3,488 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
5 days or 2 days?
Five days, supported, lodging included.
Old 04-10-24, 07:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8293 Post(s)
Liked 9,080 Times in 4,489 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
according to Super Hunky there is no such thing as too much pizza (and beer)
I remember the story where he and another rider had spent the day riding in the desert and they were famished and thirsty. So hungry he considered eating an old French fry he found in the van. He drank melted ice from the bottom of the cooler and "when the brackish liquid hit my stomach it felt like I had just swallowed a live rooster".
They scraped together whatever money they had and went to a drive through in Mojave and got a sack of fast food which he placed next to one of the bikes before getting on the road. When he reached back to get the food the bike had dripped gasoline on the bag and they drove home hungry.

Of course he told the story much better than I could.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-10-24, 09:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11976 Post(s)
Liked 6,666 Times in 3,488 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I took no pictures since I knew more talented folks like BillyD were out getting better shots than I ever could.
Thanks, but these are my friend’s photos, David W. of Gansevoort NY. I just regret I didn’t take a shot of his setup which did an excellent job on the spectacle. I might share some more of his shots today.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-10-24, 09:35 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28651 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I took no pictures since I knew more talented folks like BillyD were out getting better shots than I ever could.
Yeah, unless you have a fancy camera setup, you're not going to get a great picture. There are plenty on the internets to enjoy.

Phone shots of our viewing.

Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 04-10-24, 10:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3445 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 1,799 Posts
I rolled up on a guy yesterday. He was wearing a CA State Champion jersey.

I asked him, "In what event did you win that jersey?"

He replied, "Um, not sure. What's the date on the jersey?"

Me: "2015".

Him: "Then I think it was cyclocross".

The dude has too many state champion jerseys to keep track of. Big Dog problems.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-10-24, 10:41 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3209 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
What's complicated about the Topeak? The footpeg is a game changer IMO. Holding the wheel while you pump can be
a PITA, esp on MTB and super esp. on plus/fat bikes.
Bob led me to believe he’d tried it and didn’t like it. He clarified himself this morning as we were repairing the flat he got while riding Gatorskins on chip seal. That guy has an unlucky streak. Also, while doing the flat thing, it was discovered rough trial and error, that his pump, which worked fine on Saturday, when his rim failed, didn’t work this morning. An HPX3. A virtually failproof pump. So I gave him the one I was carrying and brought his home with me. I suspect it will work just fine now that it is out of his possession.
Old 04-10-24, 10:47 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

After 20 minutes on hold with SSA they cut me off. My proof of address paperwork doesn’t arrive due to Mexico having a postal system in name only. It always happened electronically until last year. A friend told me Biden changed it to mail in only. So now I have to remember to download it and mail it in plenty of time ahead so I don’t get suspended, as I am now. I sent it registered mail and watch3d it cross the border a week or so ago, and then ‘Poof’! They were kind enough to point me to an electronic communication method, so hopefully something will come of it. SSA doesn’t like to communicate by email, so I have no clue as to half they might contact me.
Old 04-10-24, 10:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

We had a spirited and fantastic ride. I believe there were 15 riders total. Temps warmed up quickly so I was able to pitch the gilet at the rest stop and finish the ride just with bibs/short sleeve jersey. I did not quite ride my new age of 59, but still a fine ride.
Old 04-10-24, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by datlas
We had a spirited and fantastic ride. I believe there were 15 riders total. Temps warmed up quickly so I was able to pitch the gilet at the rest stop and finish the ride just with bibs/short sleeve jersey. I did not quite ride my new age of 59, but still a fine ride.
Wait - are you saying it's your ?

Well, , then, youngster!! Remember - 59 is the new 58!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It's supposed to be nice and warm the next two days, so I plan to make the most of it, or at least the most I can make of it after 5 PM. I checked the front brakes on the Ritchey, which were really close to the rim. I couldn't find any evidence that they were dragging, but the barrel adjuster was screwed all the way down and there was still only a mm or so of clearance on each side. I like my brakes to have short free stroke, but this was ridiculous! So I loosened the cable fixing bolt and TRIED to unscrew the barrel adjuster, which was basically stuck. I had to use vise grips and a lot of force to loosen it, but I managed. Now ther's about 1/2 cm of threads above the adjuster, and more clearance.

It would be nice if that were the reason for last night's slow ride, not the aging engine. Hope springs eternal.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 11:17 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I got an email from Canyon today. There's a new colorway for the Aeroad. Completely different from what anyone else is doing - very dark gray with black graphics. Boy, nobody has anything like THAT!!! It would totally stand out in group rides!

What got me, though, was they say you can finance it! As low as 0.00%! Gosh! I hope I manage, for the rest of my days, to avoid buying any bike so expensive that I can't just cough up all the money up front. But hey, that's me.

Old 04-10-24, 11:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18438 Post(s)
Liked 15,614 Times in 7,349 Posts
First volunteer shift at the Funny Farm in the books. Lots of cool critters there.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-10-24, 11:20 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by datlas
Nice that you have enough gilets that you can just toss them and get a new one out of the drawer.
Old 04-10-24, 11:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
First volunteer shift at the Funny Farm in the books. Lots of cool critters there.

I think that peacock is barking up the wrong tree.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 11:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Nice that you have enough gilets that you can just toss them and get a new one out of the drawer.
I am super thrifty bordering on hoarder.

Pitch gilet means take it off, roll up, and stash in rear jersey pocket.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-10-24, 11:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

My friend who crashed sent his S-works SL8 to a place that apparently does ultrasound analysis on crashed crabon frames to test their integrity. Apparently his frame is fine but fork must be replaced. My other friend who is helping with this tells me sourcing a new fork from Specialized is very difficult and may end up costing almost as much and a new frame plus fork.

This does not sound right to me, but it’s not my bike and my friend with the damaged fork has plenty of resources to get this resolved.
Old 04-10-24, 11:47 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 3,161 Times in 1,665 Posts
It's 74 degrees outside, a calm windless late morning. And I'm off work on PFL. Time to take Lilly on a walk. Gonna take care of baby as much as possible today before leaving her with Liz so I can go to jazz night.
Likes For TMonk:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.