Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best one handed POS camera

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

best one handed POS camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 09:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best...-shoot-cameras
Wow those prices are steeper then I'd figured. I've wondered about carrying one as well, since my phone's camera lens isn't great and the app is crash prone and slow.

​​​​​​
I worried about dropping my old Canon Powershot. It was kind of expensive, back in the day.

So I used some 2mm utility cord tied in a loop. I learned to make the secure Double Fisherman's Knot. The camera wrist strap quickly attached by passing the looped cord through the strap, then over itself. I experimented with the cord length so the camera would sit in my rear jersey pocket and the loop over one shoulder would have a little slack while in the pocket. It was a "don't drop it!" security cord. (I did slightly worry that if I did drop it, it might swing into the front wheel spokes. Maybe even crash.)

The camera never did slip out of my hands. It worked fairly well: I could press the power button to extend then lens, and press the shutter, without looking, just roughly aiming it. Take extra shots, not all will be aimed correctly.

Last edited by rm -rf; 02-22-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 10:36 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Consider a Ricoh WG-70,
Carry one just about everywhere I ride.

A little pricey, but that looks like a good, durable rig.
Old 02-23-21, 02:47 PM
Walkerportis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If cost is not an issue the Ricoh GR. Very small, takes very good photos. This camera has a loyal following.
Old 02-23-21, 04:08 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

What us steel riders use to take pics.
Old 06-16-22, 05:08 AM
elisejordan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using I phone XS gold since 2020. this is one of the best one-handed phones that you can use while driving bikes cars or riding on a horse. I highly recommended iPhone XS for its durability and best camera results. if you are interested to buy I phone XS brand new or second hand you can buy it from online Apple Store, Thanks.
Old 06-16-22, 05:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4406 Post(s)
Liked 4,857 Times in 3,004 Posts
Thread title made me chuckle, lol
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-16-22, 06:32 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I use a GoPro for cycling - I'm on the Hero 10 now.

The photos are really good, up there with the best P&S (I've owned Sony RX100IV & V) and video great too. Where it goes one better than carrying a small P&S is voice commands. You can tell it to take a photo or video and it will. I have mine on the mini extension pole/tripod and it fits neatly in my pocket. There are many accessories that make the GoPro so versatile; I have bike mounts too.

You can also pull a photo from any video using the included software - and they look very good.

I always have my mobile with me too, an iPhone 13 Pro Max, but never use it for photos and videos, always the GoPro because it is better.

Of course, for ultimate quality my Canon R5 and RF L lenses blow these away but...can't carry that set-up on a bike with ease so GoPro is ideal.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 06-16-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-16-22, 06:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Thread title made me chuckle, lol
I have to confess that I made the same mistake in a post I made in the Addiction thread a couple of years ago.
Old 06-16-22, 06:55 AM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I carry a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 in a holster from www.ripoffsholsters.com. most of the time. Also a handle bar mounted Hero 5 if I want to record the ride.

Last edited by Gyro; 06-16-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-16-22, 07:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Most phones take better or as good of a picture as P and S cameras.
Old 06-16-22, 05:27 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have been using my iphone 13 and gopro9 in hindsight mode using the remote works great.

The only problem with gopro9 in hindsight mode is it's not saving any battery power. So the camera only last about an hour. It's so good though. It's always on but does not save anything until I hit record with the remote I have on the handle bar. It will go back in time 30 seconds and keep recording until you hit stop. Then I just go back and take some screen shots of the video. It's not as good as a photo of course but good enough for me.

crazy it's $80 for this remote though
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Remote-...s%2C146&sr=8-3
Old 06-16-22, 06:06 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
(I posted last year about using a small zoom camera. but it's been retired for quite a while.)
My newer Samsung Galaxy phone works great for shooting while riding. I think most every Galaxy phone has these camera features:

The power button is below the volume buttons on the right side of the phone. I have it set to launch the camera with a double click of the power. It doesn't require any login so the camera is ready in less than 2 seconds. Only the shots taken in this activation are visible in the photo review, and nothing else is accessible -- good.

This allows one-handed operation: The camera app settings has an optional floating second shutter button. I moved it where it falls under my index finger when holding the phone normally. Trying to reach the standard button one-handed just wouldn't work.

So, riding along:
--Pull the phone out of my middle jersey pocket. I keep the screen inward, cameras outward so the lenses don't get sweat on them.
--double click the power to launch the camera.
--(change the zoom, perhaps. UW, Normal, 3X zoom all works great, the 10X zoom is a bit much for usability while riding.)
--click the floating shutter. Then shoot a few more shots.
when done: power it off, then "carefully" put it back in the pocket. make sure it's all the way in there before letting go. The phone is "waterproof" so rain or sweat doesn't affect it.

I have the grippy Speck case, it has patterns of ridges to make it more secure from slipping.

Shooting. Finger is on the white floating second shutter button.

With results like these, edited in the phone. Looks good on the phone, maybe too much color saturation on my photo editing monitor:

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-16-22 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-19-22, 06:04 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
A used Ricoh GR digital II or III. It’s light, has a good lens, good image quality, and can be operated fully with one hand.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-21-22, 08:55 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Some people have already mentioned the Sony RX100, I have an older model from this series and I really like it. I got it because I wanted a P&S with RAW format and it has not disappoint. I still have some issues getting used to the interface (I'm more used to Canon) but it takes some great pictures and can be operated one handed. It fits perfectly on my top tube bag so it's easy to reach while riding. My only gripe is that my model is very old and does not include a viewfinder and sometimes it's hard to see the screen in bright sunlight, but I understand newer versions added it.
Old 06-21-22, 10:06 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kuroba
Some people have already mentioned the Sony RX100,
Heh. I am going to smash my RX100II with a hammer as soon as I download the few photos I was able to take with it during my recently-completed tour. When I first bought it maybe 6 years ago, it took great photos--until the lens locked up in fewer than 6 months after being treated with kid gloves. Had to send it to a place in CT for warranty repair. Got it back and the O-ring around the lens started coming off within a week. Sent it back again. The authorized Sony repair place I was required to use--which has terrible reviews on line--said there was nothing wrong with it despite the fact that the O-ring had been put back into position. After that, the images never had the same clarity and crispness. During my recent trip, the lens again locked up on probably the second day. I will never buy another Sony camera, if only for the fear I will have to use Precision Camera for a warranty repair. Look at their reviews on Yelp:

PRECISION CAMERA - 21 Photos & 189 Reviews - Photography Stores & Services - 7 Anngina Dr, Enfield, CT - Phone Number - Yelp

My favorite:

"This is the worst place on planet earth that you can possibly send your camera for repair. You'll have better luck getting your cat to repair your camera for you than these people."
Old 06-21-22, 08:23 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I got this for $2 at a yard-sale a few blocks from my house. It is auto-wind and focus and uses common AA batteries, takes really good photos. It is a Nikon L35AF;

Old 04-03-23, 02:25 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 522 Posts
Old thread and a long shot but I'm in the market for an Olympus MJUII/Stylus Epic (non zoom version) if anybody has a lead on a working one for non-ebay prices. Thanks!
Old 04-03-23, 04:51 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. I am going to smash my RX100II with a hammer as soon as I download the few photos I was able to take with it during my recently-completed tour. When I first bought it maybe 6 years ago, it took great photos--until the lens locked up in fewer than 6 months after being treated with kid gloves. Had to send it to a place in CT for warranty repair. Got it back and the O-ring around the lens started coming off within a week. Sent it back again. The authorized Sony repair place I was required to use--which has terrible reviews on line--said there was nothing wrong with it despite the fact that the O-ring had been put back into position. After that, the images never had the same clarity and crispness. During my recent trip, the lens again locked up on probably the second day. I will never buy another Sony camera, if only for the fear I will have to use Precision Camera for a warranty repair. Look at their reviews on Yelp:

PRECISION CAMERA - 21 Photos & 189 Reviews - Photography Stores & Services - 7 Anngina Dr, Enfield, CT - Phone Number - Yelp

My favorite:

"This is the worst place on planet earth that you can possibly send your camera for repair. You'll have better luck getting your cat to repair your camera for you than these people."
Heh. I never smashed it. Instead, I inadvertently drowned it while touring across PA back in September. I stopped to take a photo at the top of a long climb. It was very foggy and rainy. Put the camera loosely in its case but didn’t zipper it. Put the case in the breast pocket of my rain jacket and neglected to zipper that. The camera was toast by the time I got to the end of the 7 mile descent.
Old 04-03-23, 05:02 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I just use my phone. I've only dropped it a couple of times, and that's why I don't buy $1,000 phones.
Old 04-04-23, 07:01 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Old thread and a long shot but I'm in the market for an Olympus MJUII/Stylus Epic (non zoom version) if anybody has a lead on a working one for non-ebay prices. Thanks!
My first bike camera was a Stylus Epic. It was an utterly brilliant camera back in the film era. I recently saw that they were selling for pretty high prices so I went looking for mine. I found the box but, sadly, not the camera.

I hope you find one.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 04-04-23, 09:59 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore
My first bike camera was a Stylus Epic. It was an utterly brilliant camera back in the film era. I recently saw that they were selling for pretty high prices so I went looking for mine. I found the box but, sadly, not the camera.

I hope you find one.
Thank you, they really are great. Still compact for today, very little frills and sharp, fast lens. I told mine 7 years ago and have regretted it since. Will likely pull the plug on an overpriced one here soon.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-04-23, 11:24 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
I used a Canon S90 for many years, stored in a little camera case on my handlebars.

Perfect for on-the-bike snapshots. It was fast to focus and easy to use. Pop it out of the case, point, click. Decent photos, too.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-04-23, 03:50 PM
indyfabz

My first bike camera was a Mamiya 645 with metered view finder, power grip and 3 lenses. I toted that and a Nikon 6006 with a 35-70 lens 6,000 miles on my first tour. I win.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-04-23, 04:03 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I can't get over how the old P&S cameras from a few years ago cost much now as when they did when there where new.
Yet the phones have gotten soooo much better. I put a quadlock case on my Iphone 13. The protective case plus the little hole in the back of the case where the mount goes makes a perfect place to hold the phone while taking pictues.

Pair the iphone with the new iwatch that has preview and remote button etc.. It takes great group shot photos when on a bike ride.
Old 04-04-23, 05:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
mostly use my phone, once in a while my Olympus OM1 with 400 tri-x (on smooth roads), but Olympus TG-6 is my digital outdoors camera (kayaking, skiing, bikeing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.