Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I bonked hard today ☹️

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I bonked hard today ☹️

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 12:04 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I bonked hard today ☹️

It's been a very long time for me, I usually do a good enough job of pacing myself. Almost forgot what it feels like.

I had a hilly 40 km planned for tomorrow, the weather forecast said do it today. Wasn't really ready but beggars can't be choosers when the sun is out anywhere near Seattle. The snow was nice and firm, everything felt great. I was skiing 10 minute miles, which isn't bad for the amount of elevation gain.

Almost two hours in, I suddenly go from feeling great and having fun, to feeling like somebody just punched me in the stomach and I need a nap after I puke. Light headed. Still more than 10 miles to go and I haven't even climbed sick joke hill yet. I might have been able to finish if I didn't know that (and slowed down). But my brain said F this. So I made the call of shame, skied down to the road, and DNF'd. Overcooked an easy corner on the way down.
Old 12-21-20, 12:26 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
The man with the hammer thought you were riding a bike.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-21-20, 06:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10171 Post(s)
Liked 5,867 Times in 3,157 Posts
Glad you made the right decision when you made it and that you had someone to call and were in range. If that had been I, there is a better than even chance hypothermia would have been an issue 10 min after I stopped moving.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-21-20, 07:51 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I had a similar experience at Crater Lake, except I think mine was caused by eating nothing but extra-high protein cliff bars for the previous 24 hours or so (don't ask). 7000ft and no option for a call of shame. I thought I was doomed. Glad you are ok.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-21-20, 08:32 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I started carrying organic maple syrup with me to sip when I know I am starting to bonk and need something that will work fast for me without GI upset.
This was brought on by a "I am going to pass out episode" with blurred tunnel vision after a 5K climb.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-21-20, 01:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I carry one of those waist belt packs with loops for water bottles on either side.
https://www.amazon.com/WATERFLY-Bott...dp/B00QHXTV86/

I pack calories just as I would for cycling.
Old 12-21-20, 05:40 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
It happens to all of us from time to time. It is good reason to remember we're not getting paid for this, and letting that inform our choices. Sounds like you chose wisely

Here's to tomorrow!
Likes For tigat:
Old 12-21-20, 06:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Went out again today, few hours at a grandma pace, good times. Spent some time going over what I could have done to avoid them man with the hammer too.

I've been getting away without any nutrition during an event until now. I turned 43 today. Bet those are connected somehow. Don't get old.
Old 12-21-20, 07:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Went out again today, few hours at a grandma pace, good times. Spent some time going over what I could have done to avoid them man with the hammer too.

I've been getting away without any nutrition during an event until now. I turned 43 today. Bet those are connected somehow. Don't get old.
Congratulations! In only 7 years, you'll be as old as I was when I got back on a bike for the first time in 30 years. Yeah, they are connected. I rode my first solo century at 18 on one candy bar, one orange and 50 oz. of water, 7 hours elapsed. Nice warm sunny day, somewhat hilly route. That's not happening anymore, but it's still fun!
Old 01-24-21, 09:02 PM
CoolBreeze777

Bikes: 85 Masi 3V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
My first true mtn ride was a 49-miler with 5900ft of climb. I bonked at mile 26. No mobile service, no houses, maybe 5 vehicles. Started to see mirages. A 3hr ride ended as a 7hr ride/walk. Spookiest part was the aging gravedigger who stopped his jitney and asked if I’d seen his dog. Yeah, right; his eyes said something different, more like “I’ve got fava beans on the simmer.”
Old 01-24-21, 09:15 PM
OnTheTarmac

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I had a similar experience at Crater Lake, except I think mine was caused by eating nothing but extra-high protein cliff bars for the previous 24 hours or so (don't ask). 7000ft and no option for a call of shame. I thought I was doomed. Glad you are ok.
mine of my hardest bonks was a 60+ ride on flat bike trail where I ate 3 clif bars. I felt like I had a rock in my stomach and had to limp 10 miles to a smoothie shop.
Old 01-24-21, 09:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
At just about mile 100 of a double century, I started feeling weak and light headed. The feeding station was less than 5 miles away. All of a sudden, I started getting tunnel vision. It was strange watching as I lost my peripheral vision and then watched it close in like a narrow tube. Got off the bike for 5 minutes and finished what little water I had than limped into the food stop, where I gorged and then packed my jersey pockets with even more. Finished the ride without incident and felt fine, just sore and tired.

The only time time I had tunnel vision before was at a ski area about 15 years previous where I passed out momentarily. Glad that didn’t happen on the bike.

Old 01-25-21, 11:01 AM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CoolBreeze777
My first true mtn ride was a 49-miler with 5900ft of climb. I bonked at mile 26. No mobile service, no houses, maybe 5 vehicles. Started to see mirages. A 3hr ride ended as a 7hr ride/walk. Spookiest part was the aging gravedigger who stopped his jitney and asked if I’d seen his dog. Yeah, right; his eyes said something different, more like “I’ve got fava beans on the simmer.”
this is the humor I need this morning. Great story. 😂
Old 01-25-21, 06:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It sounds like a solution searching for a problem, but I wish the Libre Sense glucose monitor for athletes was approved for US use. I'd be curious to do a couple types of rides and fueling and see what the numbers say.

I went out "solo agua" on a metric century ride around here and was feeling great first 30mi. Basically riding tempo. Riding tempo meaning I'd have been burning both fat and some amount of glycogen. About mile 45 after over 2 hours of nonstop tempo feeling good...........oh boy. I felt it coming and made a line for the convenience store across the street. Bought a giant Snickers and a can of Coke. Made me right in 10min. Then Z1 home.
Old 01-25-21, 06:58 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
My New Years Resolution is to develop an eating schedule for when I am on the bike. I bought both of Allen Lim’s books and am working on a system where I eat every 40-60 minutes. I have had too many bad situations because I was not fueling right.