Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 12:39 PM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
This is currently undergoing a little work, but I can't wait to get a little road time with it, now that I have a seatpost and stem setup that I'm happy with. I'll post more pics when it's "done" but I can't get over how lightweight this is. This is running a 2x10 105 setup, and has me excited!!!

Old 03-24-22, 11:18 AM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
The Peugeot Build … Continued

Originally Posted by jim dandy
The frame is primed, painted, decaled, clear coated. On schedule for April assembly …
JD, Dallas

Finished … JD
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 03-24-22, 11:47 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Moveable. The tall angled piece is for checking radial true, though I'm not sure it's actually necessary- seems like the smaller block would be sufficient... But I had the wood and it looks kinda cool, so I made it anyway (this is my first set of wheels and I haven't digested the section in the Musson book on radial truing, so maybe this part is necessary.....). I was on the verge of buying a (cheapish...) stand when I came across the book and this design. I knew I could scrounge up what I needed to make it from my shed and I think it looks kinda cool, so out came the tools....
Very cool design 👍
Old 03-24-22, 12:22 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
An early 70s Schwinn Collegiate, that a good friends wife has become quite fond of. Hopefully, she is still as fond when they get the parts bill, for new wheels, brakes, bars, shifter, and saddle.
Tim

Old 03-24-22, 01:33 PM
CFDJ

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Frame I'm building up for a friend

French frame I'm building up for a friend. I thought that taking it down to the frame might give me insight to the maker but not yet. I guess I'll start stripping paint next!

Stripped everything to find that it's completely unbranded which is exciting to have something this cool!

Last edited by CFDJ; 03-28-22 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-25-22, 08:09 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts

Put together the truing stand from the Musson book with wood scraps I had lying around from various other projects. Now I can finish up the wheels for my PX10 project!
Waiting on tires and a freewheel so I can complete (and test-ride), but my first wheelset build it complete! The Musson book (and stand design) were very helpful*. The front wheel went very well, the rear was quite a bit trickier and more frustrating. Part of it was getting the dishing right (I laced and unlaced the wheel a couple times thinking I'd got the spokes on the wrong sides...), but the worst was no amount of tinkering could eliminate a flat spot around the seam on the rim. Radial true is off by about 1 mm here, maybe a fraction more, but tensions are pretty well equalized so I'm hoping it won't be noticeable. Looking forward to getting it on the road soon.

*Sheldon Brown's wheel building page was also helpful, but I found the Musson book to be a little clearer, to my mind at least.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-25-22, 10:11 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Waiting on tires and a freewheel so I can complete (and test-ride), but my first wheelset build it complete! The Musson book (and stand design) were very helpful*. The front wheel went very well, the rear was quite a bit trickier and more frustrating. Part of it was getting the dishing right (I laced and unlaced the wheel a couple times thinking I'd got the spokes on the wrong sides...), but the worst was no amount of tinkering could eliminate a flat spot around the seam on the rim. Radial true is off by about 1 mm here, maybe a fraction more, but tensions are pretty well equalized so I'm hoping it won't be noticeable. Looking forward to getting it on the road soon.

*Sheldon Brown's wheel building page was also helpful, but I found the Musson book to be a little clearer, to my mind at least.
Excellent stand and congrats on the first wheel. Most pinned and welded rims have that little flat spot. When the tires are inflated and rolling I can't feel it. Funny how the more you true the more critical you get on a wheel. After a while you just have to stop.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-25-22, 08:01 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Put together the truing stand from the Musson book with wood scraps I had lying around from various other projects. Now I can finish up the wheels for my PX10 project!
Very nice job on the stand. It looks nice enough I think one could get by with leaving it out on the coffee table for a day or three while working on a project with minimum complaints from the better half.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-26-22, 08:55 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Very nice job on the stand. It looks nice enough I think one could get by with leaving it out on the coffee table for a day or three while working on a project with minimum complaints from the better half.
When I was a little kid in the early 70s we lived for a time near the original Creative Playthings in NJ (apparently now they pretty much just make swing-sets, but back then they made all sorts of stuff). We'd visit now and then and my folks bought us the occasional small toy and the general aesthetic (simple, solid wood or Baltic Birch ply) got imprinted in my brain. A lot of reviews of the more affordable truing stands weren't so great, and the DIY versions made of angle-iron, etc. didn't really appeal. When I saw this design it was entirely a 'language' I understood! It actually ended up being more like, oh, 4 or 5 days that it sat out on the table while I was working on the wheels! I actually wish I had a place somewhere I could keep it out on display with a wheel in it!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 03-26-22, 04:01 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I am going to be working on the removal of a Suntour VX bottom bracket. Had an idea that my LBS could have the tool, and I was assured that they could remove "any bottom bracket" when I called them. When I took the frame to them on Saturday, they immediately began to work on it and were stymied.
Tried an adjustable pin spanner, and that didn't work. I've been looking at older threads dealing with the same issue and decided to give a Park OBW-3 a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Quoting myself here: I got the Park OBW-3 today and sheared off one of the tabs instantly. I had it prepared with a stack of washers to keep the tool pressed into the slots of the VX, but it was a major fail.
I think it was a tool failure, and I am pretty sure Park will replace it on warranty. So far this is the most expensive free bike I have ever owned.
Old 03-26-22, 07:00 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Overhauling an 86 Tempo for a friend. Did BB, hub bearings, headset, freewheel. Not impressed with Maillard hubs, but they spin smoothly. They use a keyed washer on the axles, which is not my preference but they worked ok. Some of the nipples on the Rigida rim spokes look a bit crusty. Tires are hard as rocks.

Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 03-26-22, 07:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quoting myself here: I got the Park OBW-3 today and sheared off one of the tabs instantly. I had it prepared with a stack of washers to keep the tool pressed into the slots of the VX, but it was a major fail.
I think it was a tool failure, and I am pretty sure Park will replace it on warranty. So far this is the most expensive free bike I have ever owned.
Dweenk,
I'm not sure how close you are to my location but I could lend you the tools you need to remove the cups. Give me a call and we can try to find a solution for you. Smiles, MH 812-336-3283
Old 03-26-22, 07:52 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Overhauling an 86 Tempo for a friend. Did BB, hub bearings, headset, freewheel. Not impressed with Maillard hubs, but they spin smoothly. They use a keyed washer on the axles, which is not my preference but they worked ok. Some of the nipples on the Rigida rim spokes look a bit crusty. Tires are hard as rocks.
That’s an 87 Tempo. Legendary.
Old 03-26-22, 07:58 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rccardr
That’s an 87 Tempo. Legendary.
I have a matching larger frame to build up too. Really nice frames. I made the mistake of opening up one of the shimano pedals to service. Now to get them back in. Man are those small! And ooh baby, suede for the pudendum!
Old 03-26-22, 09:17 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I recently got one step closer to completing a long term project... Tomorrow I need to cobble together a functional washer.

obligatory bad photo
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 03-27-22, 11:03 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Quoting myself again, with photos of the bottom bracket in question. I have found better photos of the BB than I was able to take - all from older posts.

Both sides have (or should have lockrings).
Old 03-27-22, 11:11 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
dweenk,
After some thought and looking around the tool box I think I might have some help for you. Pics:

Var pin spanner. My first thoughts were to lock the pins down with washers and spindle bolts. But they may slip on the square ends of the BB cups.

The other tool that will remove a cup from either side. Made out of 1/2" drive sockets and race car lug and lug nuts.

The way the tool fits in a cup to remove it from a BB. It is a junk yard tool but it does the work, you may need to find a washer for the inside of the cup to get a tight fit.

After checking out pics of the BB, I dug these out of the tool box, and they are likely what you need for one side of the BB. My junk yard tool will remove the other cup if this one doesn't work.
Smiles, MH
Old 03-27-22, 01:36 PM
dweenk

The last photo is the Suntour tool for the BB - I think it is a TA-230 tool. I will send a PM.
Old 03-27-22, 04:51 PM
cstar 

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I recently got one step closer to completing a long term project... Tomorrow I need to cobble together a functional washer.

obligatory bad photo
Man that is a cool rear derailleur
Old 03-28-22, 03:23 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by cstar
Man that is a cool rear derailleur
+1 ! Reminds me a bit of the Ingrid MTB derailleur that's available in 11 and 12-speed.

I have been doing some necessary wrenching over here.

Patched the holes in the pair of Schwalbe Aerothan tubes I used last summer while touring on some fairly gnarly roads. They held up really well over rough terrain... but glass was too much for them. Unfortunately it was unclear at the time how to best patch these and the suggested Schwalbe patches were never available. Luckily the Park Tool GP-2 were recommended by now. These tubes are going back into my spare tube pocket. Or perhaps I will swap out the butyl tubes that are in the Graveller for these again. They were really comfortable!

Other than that, removed a broken crank bolt with a sharp drill bit and a screwdriver, good thing I greased that bolt. And did some milling on the bar extenders I apparently need on these Velo Orange Porteur bars.

Old 03-29-22, 09:44 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
New boots for my Holdsworth Avanti: Mavic MA2 rims + Shimano RX100 hubs (8 speed) + DT spokes + SRAM 11-32 cassette fitted with Panaracer Pasela 28mm tyres
Not sure when I'm going to use 11x52 though.

Rear hub respaced from 130 to 127

I've only done 0.5 miles so far to check the wheels don't collapse (I knitted them myself), but I was pleasantly surprised by the tyes - they're almost silent.
My other rims have Tufo S33 Pro tubulars which make a lot of road noise.

The only remaining issue is my SunTour VX GT won't span 8 gears, apparently it might be possible to file down the L screw stop. But I've got a Cyclone II GT in the post to play with too.
Old 03-29-22, 10:18 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
New boots for my Holdsworth Avanti: Mavic MA2 rims + Shimano RX100 hubs (8 speed) + DT spokes + SRAM 11-32 cassette fitted with Panaracer Pasela 28mm tyres
Not sure when I'm going to use 11x52 though.

Rear hub respaced from 130 to 127

The only remaining issue is my SunTour VX GT won't span 8 gears, apparently it might be possible to file down the L screw stop. But I've got a Cyclone II GT in the post to play with too.
Find an old Deore.
Old 03-29-22, 10:35 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
The Trek 970 gets some attention. New wheels Mavic MA-2 on Mavic, and some new pedals, along with my torn Concor saddle of the day. Gray housing will be in order.

The rear derailleur is not right, it's not giving proper wrap. I think someone cleaned serviced and reassembled incorrect.

The brakes have cane creek hoods, yuck. Salsa bar wrap is in good shape but not a great install

Old 03-29-22, 10:40 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Cheers I'll put Deore on the list, I'm trying (ish) to keep period and the Cyclone M-II GT is 1981 (Yep I know MA2s are 1986 and RX100 is 1991).
Deore XT M737 is 1994.

In this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-cog-size.html
there's a comment from Steelbikeguy about adjusting a Cyclone GT to handle 8 speed. And there was one on Ebay for £20.
Old 03-29-22, 05:47 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Cheers I'll put Deore on the list, I'm trying (ish) to keep period and the Cyclone M-II GT is 1981 (Yep I know MA2s are 1986 and RX100 is 1991).
Deore XT M737 is 1994.

In this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-cog-size.html
there's a comment from Steelbikeguy about adjusting a Cyclone GT to handle 8 speed. And there was one on Ebay for £20.
I've used (currently use) a Cyclone MkII GT across 8 speeds. It should work. The low limit screw is fully backed out. You may find you'll want to file the stop to gain a little more breathing room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.