Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Private" Non-LBS Bike Mechanic? Do they exist?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-14, 08:06 PM
zeego

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm a big believer in learning how to work on your own bikes but some things you just don't have the ability to fix (tools, etc). Is it a safe assumption that LBS's these days don't want or have the knowledge to work on classic bikes? I surely don't want to spend $1200 on a classic and have a mechanic screw it up. What does everyone do here when your bike has a difficult fix? Have you had good experiences with your mechanic and your classic? Which leads to my original thought....

Do "private" bike mechanics exist? I'm talking about the guy who operates out of his garage and only gets business by word of mouth. A hobbyist that gets paid essentially. I'm kind of equating this to a guy I know that works on classic cars. He has a sweet set up in a detached garage by his house and does amazing work. No advertising, just word of mouth. "I know this guy who may be able to help you out" kind of deal.

I'd love to be able to find a local 50/60 year old that was a bike mechanic for a racing team to work on my classic. Dreamin' over here....

Last edited by zeego; 08-30-14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 08:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
It is just like a car, sometimes you just have to shop around to find a place that feels right. I have two places I'll go but there isn't much I can't do at home.

I am sure there are tons of garage or private mechanics out there, but are they actually better and more caring? There are lots of guys on the forum who will be willing to help just for the fun and friendship, of course a sixer of good Ale doesn't hurt either.

I am always willing to help and teach.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-30-14, 08:47 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They appear to be out there:

Did you order or recieve a bicycle that needs to be built?
Old 08-30-14, 09:00 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
they're out there, and they sometimes advertise via google maps.

you can also find them via craigs. look for listings for c&v components.
Old 08-30-14, 09:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by zeego
I'd love to be able to find a local 50/60 year old that was a bike mechanic for a racing team to work on my classic. Dreamin' over here....
There are a couple mechanics around here that work out of their garages. Heck, I'd do it, but I know the economics of the bike business. My sugar mama is nice, but she wants me to have a paying job.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-30-14, 10:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Is it a safe assumption that LBS's these days don't want or have the knowledge to work on classic bikes?
I think most bike shops should be able to deal with about anything. The main things that might be trouble are available replacements for obsolete parts, and proprietary tools to work on them. Do you think that your $1200 classic racing bike is harder to work on than the $6000 modern racing bike they have on the showroom floor or the $250 cruiser? I recently had Bicycle Planet in Folsom remove the destroyed crankset seized to my 12-yo low end MTB. I'd overtorqued it and then stripped the extractor threads. He got it off somehow without even leaving any tool marks on the BB spindle. Neither part was worth much in the first place and he had my advance permission to destroy the BB if he needed to. He charged me $15.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-30-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-30-14, 10:37 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'm a big believer in learning how to work on your own bikes but some things you just don't have the ability to fix (tools, etc).
I am a big believer that if you can't fix it.... you're just renting it from the repairman.

Is it a safe assumption that LBS's these days don't want or have the knowledge to work on classic bikes?
No. Although any LBS may be a bad experience. I'd say most are honest, reliable, hardworking, business people that love bicycles and cycling as much as their customers.

I surely don't want to spend $1200 on a classic and have a mechanic screw it up. What does everyone do here when your bike has a difficult fix?
I Learned to repair it. Buy a "practice bike" or two. I've found that wrenching is an enjoyable off-season hobby.
Check Craigslist for good used tools. Try out some bicycle repair books from the library (buy the best ones from amazon). Watch the YouTube bicycle repair videos.

Do "private" bike mechanics exist? ......... "I know this guy who may be able to help you out" kind of deal.
Join a local cycling club.... ask around about mechanics. Get repair advice or help.

Actually the former bicycle racer almost-pro that turned team mechanic ended up owning that local bicycle shop.... in many cases.
Old 08-31-14, 05:02 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I survived on word of mouth and unemployment in Finland for years! Mostly I flipped bikes, but I had a few clients.
best thing is go Riding! you will find that mechanic on the road! probably riding a classic and there you go!
Well I will be back in CH next summer to tune you bike! I will me near Romanshorn.
mike
Old 08-31-14, 05:23 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
there are some boutique shops that more or less work as independent professionals, or do things like that on the side, for real high dollar builds. And serious collectors that sometimes do contract builds.
Old 08-31-14, 05:56 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
That would be me: big-box wage slave/bike tech by day, C&V barn wrench nights and weekends.
My client list splits out 50/50 between old guys wanting to get their bikes back on the road and tri women who don't like the LBS. Go figure....

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 08-31-14, 06:42 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a neighbor across our alley who works out of his garage fixing bicycles. He's a great guy and let's me borrow tools, however, I've seen some of the shoddy workmanship of his (don't tell him I said that). I wouldn't let him touch my bicycles.
Old 08-31-14, 06:50 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
There is liability involved in repairing bikes, or most anything, for that matter. For someone to do that as a living out of their house opens up all sorts of potential problems, never mind ticking off the LBS's, a that is how they make the bulk of their profits.
Old 08-31-14, 06:57 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I would think that if you are planning on buying a 1200 dollar classic, another hundred in good tools and some practice and study on how to repair that classic might be a great investment.
Old 08-31-14, 07:02 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I see you are in Athens, GA. A lot of colleges have free bike co-ops.

+1 Some private repair people advertise via Craigs List. Not sure the quality there.

+1 Some bike shops will do fine work on vintage bikes, its just a matter of finding them. The more unusual your bike (think french with Stronglight crank) the less likely the average bike shop will have the right tool. The investment in oddball vintage tools can be substantial, and for a rare repair, may not make sense for some shops. I know I have more of the specialty tools than the shops in my area.

+1 There are some forum members that work on bikes and will take beer or other gifts in exchange. I swapped out a set of handlebars and stem, and replaced brake levers for a case of beer.

+1,000,000 If you are going to own any classic vehicle (bicycle, motorcycle, car), its really best to acquire the tools and skills to do the work yourself. A friend of mine had the fork on his 1985 Trek 720 ruined when he had a new headset installed. He failed to give them the front brake cable stop, and instead of installing a spacer, the shop CUT HIS STEERING TUBE! Of course, he can use one of the stem mounted stops, but geez.... Really stupid that they cut the steering tube, as installing a spacer takes about two seconds. Cutting the tube is a lot more work. And alarm bells should have been going off. Lets see, this bike is 30 years old and the steering tube is this length. I guess it has worked all these years. Maybe I shouldn't cut it.......

The great news is the investment in tools for bicycles and the space required to maintain them is a small, tiny amount compared to cars. You should see the workshop a friend of mine has that collects milk trucks. 40 x 60 x 12 high. And it is packed.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-31-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 07:12 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Chicago has enough bike shops that some are pretty C&V-friendly, including one that used to be a few blocks from my house, but recently moved to a more fashionable location.

But there's a guy, a retired ironworker, I met through local C&V friends who works out of his basement, a basement packed full of frames, wheelsets hanging from the joists, and a full Campy tool chest, and that's who I go to with problems. He has been wrenching for many years, and has seen seemingly everything. He is particularly known for his skill with wheels. I have a truing stand but haven't really developed any expertise with it because it's more enjoyable to go hang out with him while he makes my wheels perfect.

There's also one tiny shop (Quick Release) with a sole proprietor, an older German guy, who similarly specializes in the old and obscure, also a great resource.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 08-31-14, 07:20 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm a big believer in learning how to work on your own bikes but some things you just don't have the ability to fix (tools, etc). Is it a safe assumption that LBS's these days don't want or have the knowledge to work on classic bikes? I surely don't want to spend $1200 on a classic and have a mechanic screw it up. What does everyone do here when your bike has a difficult fix? Have you had good experiences with your mechanic and your classic? Which leads to my original thought....

Do "private" bike mechanics exist? I'm talking about the guy who operates out of his garage and only gets business by word of mouth. A hobbyist that gets paid essentially. I'm kind of equating this to a guy I know that works on classic cars. He has a sweet set up in a detached garage by his house and does amazing work. No advertising, just word of mouth. "I know this guy who may be able to help you out" kind of deal.

Seeing that you are in Athens...have you seen Bike Athens? It is a local co-op in that area...
Old 08-31-14, 07:31 AM
zeego

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone! I do have most of the tools needed for repairs. And I do know how to fix the majority of "stuff". I really suck at truing wheels. I used to wrench at a CO bike shop back in the salad days. Sigh. I just wanted to see what people thought about their bike mechanics and their prized classics.
Old 08-31-14, 07:42 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
There is liability involved in repairing bikes, or most anything, for that matter. For someone to do that as a living out of their house opens up all sorts of potential problems, never mind ticking off the LBS's, a that is how they make the bulk of their profits.
Quite true.

I still try to do as much as I can, but this RA is a bear.

Luckily, I have a couple of local shop mechanics that help with wheel builds, although I am building the front wheel for my Bilenky tonight.

In addition, I do have fun collaborating with Thirdgenbird (Casey) when he is available. It's really fun to bounce ideas off each other.

He does a very nice build.
Old 08-31-14, 07:44 AM
gomango

Thanks for the responses everyone! I do have most of the tools needed for repairs. And I do know how to fix the majority of "stuff". I really suck at truing wheels. I used to wrench at a CO bike shop back in the salad days. Sigh. I just wanted to see what people thought about their bike mechanics and their prized classics.
Get a decent stand like a Park TS22. Find one used, that's what I did.

It's just a matter of practice, patience and tools.
Old 08-31-14, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1, co-ops at Uni's & a few rent the shop and tools by the hour kind of places ..

[There was one for Cars in Boston in the 70's, (beat pulling/replacing engines on the street )]
Old 08-31-14, 09:40 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
there are some boutique shops that more or less work as independent professionals, or do things like that on the side, for real high dollar builds. And serious collectors that sometimes do contract builds.
In Boulder, we have this shop: Who ? Vecchio's Bicicletteria
Old 08-31-14, 10:34 AM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the better bike wrenches in this area works in this manner, doing repairs and selling his (mostly) CV builds out of his house. We also are fortunate that a couple of the LBS have mechanics with enough years on them that they know bikes built more than six years ago, and are encouraging of bums like me looking for parts and advice rather than a new bike and a bunch of matching kit.
Old 08-31-14, 10:42 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
In Boulder, we have this shop: Who ? Vecchio's Bicicletteria
I was there a month ago.

Fantastic shop and great jerseys.
Old 08-31-14, 10:57 AM
24fps

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Salt Lake we have "The Bike Guy"- https://bikeguyslc.com
Old 08-31-14, 11:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I'm the guy in the garage who works on bikes. Two kinds of people bring me their bikes: cheapskates and friends.
Why me? 1-I'm reasonably competent. 2-I often have parts they need. 3-I'm more convenient. 4-I don't charge for labor.
Do I take donations? 1-No, to the first offer of same. 2-Yes, if they insist. 3-I'd rather get paid in parts or yes, lager.

I have few simple rules:
-I do not charge labor, liability being what it is, and it's a hobby.
-I do not give away parts, no matter how I got them.
-I don't have to guarantee a time, or skill level. You get what you paid for: parts.
-Abuse the convenience, and all of a sudden I don't know how to work on your bike.
-Call or text first. You freak me or my wife out by "showing up," you have a problem bigger than your bike repair.

I have a "competitor," which suits me fine. We used to trade parts, and some labor.

It is strongly doubtful that anything I do impacts a local bike shop in any way.
If anything, they get business that I refer to them, because, like I've told many a person: "I'm not a bike shop."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.