Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How good is SPECIALIZED ROCKHOPPER SPORT 29 for commuting?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 08:53 AM
ihappy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Basically, I am just looking for all-around bike which will mostly be used for driving around the town. So, I am wondering can I go wrong with this one?
Of course, I am not aiming for speed, I just want a reliable bike which will get me back into regular cycling.
They run for 500 euros atm where I live, so from what I have seen it definitely worth getting.

From reviews and stuff I have seen it a good bike and that is should preform fine, but looking for some more inputs from regular people who have/had this bike, or from people who are knowledgeable.
Old 09-15-23, 09:10 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
This is a fine entry level mountain bike, but the wide (2.35") knobby MTB tires and 100mm suspension fork aren't ideal for riding on paved roads/trails.
The Specialized Sirrus is similarly priced and has faster rolling tires and a rigid fork, so it'll be a little lighter and easier to pedal.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-15-23, 09:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=319797-199575

As a long-time commuter ... first off, front suspension? Unless you are commuting off-road, it is just going to slow you down and suck up some of your pedaling power. 100 mm of travel? That is great if your commute involves jumping chasms or two-foot drops ....

Looks top be geared pretty low for commuting.

The geometry and basic design looks great for trail riding, but I am not sure I could get the seat high enough for efficient road riding.

Here is the big one, for me ... No Rack Mounts. I know lot of people commute with backpacks, but I never liked that. I like a bike with rack mounts so I can carry a bag, a box, a backpack, a pair of panniers .... or any combination.

I would personally opt for a bike with 2x9 road gearing, a rigid fork, and rack mounts out back.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 09:22 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
This is a fine entry level mountain bike, but the wide (2.35") knobby MTB tires and 100mm suspension fork aren't ideal for riding on paved roads/trails.
The Specialized Sirrus is similarly priced and has faster rolling tires and a rigid fork, so it'll be a little lighter and easier to pedal.
That was my initial choice. That or Trek FX 1. Unfortunately, at this moment it is not available where I live. Frankly, I can't even find an used Sirrus to buy. I saw the FX 1, but I did not quite like it.
My initial though was to go for a hybrid but, I would much rather get this one than the FX 1. I just did not like it.
Sirrus would do the trick, but for now, I cannot get it.
Old 09-15-23, 09:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Says it has a lock out fork so you can lock out the suspension to put that argument to bed. Putting on street tires is no big deal.
I personally used my hybrid with suspension fork adjusted as hard as it went for years and it certainly softened the ride on our midwest potholed streets without losing much energy. I also ran 700x25 tires on it but that likely isn't an option on wider Mt. bike rims. Gearing can be changed. Lots of commuting is done on old rigid mountain bikes.
Old 09-15-23, 09:40 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
That is a clown around trail bike. IT has NOTHING in common with a transportation bike.
Doesn't even have rack or fender mounts. FORGET IT.
Old 09-15-23, 09:43 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Says it has a lock out fork so you can lock out the suspension to put that argument to bed. Putting on street tires is no big deal.
I personally used my hybrid with suspension fork adjusted as hard as it went for years and it certainly softened the ride on our midwest potholed streets without losing much energy. I also ran 700x25 tires on it but that likely isn't an option on wider Mt. bike rims. Gearing can be changed. Lots of commuting is done on old rigid mountain bikes.
From what I have seen, Sirrus and Trek FX are the general recommendation for hybrid bike. And me as somebody who have very little knowledge about bikes, can see them work good.
However, that entirely depends on where you live. I live in Bosnia, Sarajevo. Our roads are pretty ******, driving a bicycle on the main road is something you very rarely see, and I most definitely do not plan to do so.
So, it is mostly driving on the sidewalk, and sometimes driving on a "painted sidewalk which they consider a bike lane."
That's why I am considering getting this one instead of the actual hybrid,

I have managed to found a really good used Sirrus for the price of 650 euros, but, when I see those tiny tires, I just don't see it working for me. Same goes for Trek FX1.

So, this one could do the trick for me. Considering all the potholes and ****** driving terrain, you might as well say I am driving on an actual mountain.
Old 09-15-23, 09:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
...any expertise I have would come from my own commuting, and around town errand riding. As already stated, for these utilitarian purposes, suspension and shocks are just extra weight. And you need something easily fitted with at least a rear rack and working fenders, or you will be limited in when and how you use the bicycle. I would look for something older, and more designed for street use. For your stated uses, look for at least fender and rack mounts...avoid suspension.

I know nothing about the particular bicycle you ask about, other than it's not what I would choose. And I commuted to work for many years. It's surprising the amount of additional stuff you need to carry some days, like if you want to stop off at the gym on your way home. And even if it's not raining today, if the street is still wet, without fenders, you will be wet by the time you get to work.

If your roads are that bad, I guess you'll need to figure out what works for you.
Old 09-15-23, 09:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Here is a slightly different view---- that bike will work for commuting.

If the roads are really bad, then just stiffen the shock as hard as possible and enjoy the slight suspension effect. Wear a backpack to carry your clothes/lunch/tools/whatever.

For a while when mechanical woes and such left me with no option, I rode a Univega D-900 MTB to work. I got there. The tires were totally an energy waste, the suspension was just a waste, but I got to work and I enjoyed the ride (except for the sound of my knobs tearing off the tires on the pavement.)

If that is what is available and it suits the specific rides yo7 have in mind, you can make it work. There are seatpost racks, and with p-clamps and such you might find a way to mount a rack ... i also have a small rack which mounts on the fork crown for an MTB, and some mini-panniers, so those are out there.

I would not call it ideal for my uses, but if it is the best of what is available to you and if it suits the uses you have in mind .... why not?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 10:27 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you or your responses
Unfortunately, the roads are really bad and I just don't see any road bike working for me, or any bike which comes with road-like tires.
I will most definitely using a backpack, mudguards are also a must. That is basically a first buy because I do plan riding it on rainy days too.
My main issue is not the speed, but overall, how enjoyable would such a ride be? Because, I most definitely plan on using 3+ days per week if not even more.
So I want to make it work, and maybe, in the future, look for something else.
Old 09-15-23, 10:50 AM
Maelochs

Every ride can be an adventure.

Whenever I commuted, no matter what i was riding, the ride was always the best part of the day.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 10:52 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Just curious, how long is your commute?
Old 09-15-23, 11:01 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
That is a clown around trail bike.
I did White Mountain on an earlier model Stumpjumper, with 26" wheels and (gasp) v-brakes. It did have rack mounts, though.

I converted it into a utility bike with slick tires and rear panniers. It was a decent get around bike.

Old 09-15-23, 11:23 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Just curious, how long is your commute?
I guess I misunderstood the meaning off the word commute because I'll primarily be using it a stress reliever, anti-depression if you will.
Something to do off work, to get me more into the real world, to get me outside. And also something to help me strengthen my legs since I am having issues with chronic legs pain.
So, for start, I plan on using it for shorter rides, like 10 to 20 kilometers or so. Every other day to start off.

Since cycling is definitely something that fits my generally healthy way of living, in the future, I hope and plan to go for much longer distances and explore the nature. So guess, that also means this is a good starting bike for me.
Now, I cannot really say what distances do I plan to cover in the near future since I have no idea how will it "feel" to go for 10, 20, 50 kilometers or so.
Haven't been ridding for 20 years, but I've been thinking about getting a bike for the past few months. And after weighting all the pros and cons, now is the prefect time.

My only issue is still how comfortable this ride will be. Since, my last bike was department store ****** bike and I still remember how much I had to pedal in order to keep up with my friend who had a quality bike.
I got exhausts so quickly, so hopefully that won't be the case with this one, although it looks a bit bulky in comparison to Specialized Sirrus and Trek FX.
Old 09-15-23, 11:34 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
No worries. I am the typical monolingual American. I have an older Specialized Rockhopper (circa 1995) that is my favorite bike. Of course no suspension. I installed narrower tires (Schwalbe Land Cruisers). They roll fine on tarmac but give me the option of riding dirt roads and gravel paths with reasonable stability. I think your choice is a good one for the type of riding you describe.
Old 09-15-23, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Oaky .... thanks you very much for clarifying.

For a just-riding-around, ride-for-fun-and-pleasure bike, the Rockhopper should excel. You will be able to ride comfortably on or off or over any sort of road or other terrain---pretty much just decide where you want to go and go there. For pleasure and fitness and relaxation, it is an excellent choice for a rough urban environment ... or any other environment. You can ride down flights of stairs, jump off curbs or even low walls, and riding around public buildings after hours can be a blast ... I have heard. (it is frowned upon in parts of America so of course I would never do it.) Lots of buildings have short hills, drop-offs, shorts flights of stairs or just several steps, promenades and trees to slalom .... there won't be much the Rockhopper won't handle.

Also, with a lock-out fork, you won't have to compromise your suspension settings to get efficiency on smooth pavement.

I think you might have a lot of fun.
Old 09-15-23, 01:34 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
OP ignore Maelochs pathetic dis-advice.
Mine still stands. Forget that USELESS do nothing clown bike. It doesn't even improve on a walmart bike in any way. LOL. There's nothing more uncomfortable than that straight broomhandle bar.

There is a cheap gravel bike available. >> Poseidon X Ambition Gravel Bike, alu frame. It has wide tires and rack mounts both rear and fork. 1x drive does have a drawback of not high enough gears if the crank ring is too small. Maybe 40T is best.
$900 or so. I don't know how you would get it of course. But this is about what you NEED and they are very popular now.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-15-23 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 03:30 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 388 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
That is a clown around trail bike. IT has NOTHING in common with a transportation bike.
Doesn't even have rack or fender mounts. FORGET IT.
Maybe do some research before making such declarations? The rock hopper does have rack mounts.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 09-15-23, 04:07 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
The Rockhopper is a solid entry-level bike, it's a far cry from a Walmart bike and after looking at some streetview images of Sarajevo I think it will do you just fine as you handle rough terrain and hop up and down curbs etc. Like others have said here, I think I'd prefer a gravel bike if available, but if your options for "exploring the nature" are rougher trails you may be happy to have that front suspension after all. Just know that it's not a bike designed for speed, and take advantage of what it lets you do.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 09-15-23, 06:11 PM
Maelochs

Did anyone read about how there is a pretty limited market in Sarajevo, and he might not be able to buy any bike he can find online? I am sure we could all suggest excellent bike the OP cannot buy ... some were mentioned in the first few posts.

If he can get the Rockhopper and not much else, or nothing else except a road bike .... as for as a gravel bike goes, I haven't yet tried Google street mas of Sarajevo so I don't know how bad the pavement is.

When I thought the OP had options, I suggested something else ... but given limited options, might as well get the guy on a bike which might work for him. if he likes cycling he can always consider a different bike later on .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-15-23, 06:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Old 09-15-23, 06:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Some of the frames features are a zero-stack head tube, internal cable routing, 135x9mm forged dropouts, chainstay-mounted disc brake, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger, stealth rack mounts, and dropper post compatible
​​​​​​​...the mounts are on a need to know basis.
Old 09-15-23, 10:13 PM
Maelochs

Your pic is better than the one I found .... rack mounts are very visible on this one. Bike is now officially a sound commuting machine ......
Old 09-16-23, 10:18 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Forum rules are harsh to new members. I had to wait 24 hours before being able to post again.
Old 09-16-23, 10:18 AM
ihappy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not to mention I still need to get 10 posts in total before I am able to post links and pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.