Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Stupid beginner questions; #1 in a series

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 07:43 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey,

I'm inaugurating my Stupid Beginner Questions series. Believe me, I can do stupid very well...

So, this morning, on ride number 2 with the new bike, I ended up going down a very moderate hill. Stopped pedaling because I couldn't pedal fast enough but when I got to the bottom I was in too high a gear to resume efficiently.

My question is "How do you manage gears efficiently in a situation like this?" Do you go up in gears so you can pedal while going down the hill, reduce the gears when you get close to the bottom, and reduce some more to deal with the flats.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Old 07-20-15, 07:59 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I have difficulty imagining a scenario where the momentum from the downhill doesn't give me enough "go" to pedal in the high gear and then reduce gear as I loose momentum. I can't say I've ever reduced gears while coasting downhill to prepare for the next uphill!
Old 07-20-15, 08:06 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gear selection and shifting at the proper time will come with experience. Just keep riding.
Old 07-20-15, 08:45 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 180 Posts
I would anticipate the next hill and downshift to a lower gear, otherwise you may loose some of your momentum getting up the next hill. Plus it saves some stress on the drive-train where you would be pushing hard in too large a gear.
Old 07-20-15, 08:53 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
practice, like Allen Iverson
Old 07-20-15, 08:58 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
gear selection and shifting at the proper time will come with experience. Just keep riding.
Pretty much this. It becames second nature eventually.

From experience, you'll know what gears you need to be in for different situations and you'll subconsciously shift there as you ride. Also, the longer you ride, the different gears you'll need for different situations. Meaning, you might not need that granny gear for that hill in a month.

If I'm going down a decent hill, I will shift into higher gears until I can feel a moderate amount of pedal pressure under my feet. Then once there, I sometimes I coast, sometimes I pedal. Just depends on the situation. Then as I go through the bottom and start to pedal up the next hill, I will typically go, pedal pedal, shift if need to, pedal pedal pedal, shift if need to, etc. Until I get to a comfortable climbing gear.
Old 07-20-15, 09:07 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
While going down a hill if I've reached a speed that I'm comfortable with and gearing to match and I'm coasting I'll start pedaling as I reach the bottom of the hill and maintain the speed as long as I can. I'll then downshift and keep going and so on until I get to my normal cruising speed.
Old 07-20-15, 09:22 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
If the hill is steep enough, I get really aero and stop pedaling. I read somewhere that above about 25 mph, you are better off coasting in a tucked position from an energy standpoint. The legs flailing around in circles make pretty much drag at those speeds. Of course an exception is if you are racing and need to maintain higher speeds. I seldom allow myself to go much over 30 mph anymore. I've had a few speed wobble issues in the past and they are scary!

I usually shift to a higher gear in anticipation of pedaling again. Once my cadence starts to fall, I begin shifting to easier and easier gears when on the flats.

IMHO shifting technique when going up hills is much more important. I've found it better to shift a little early than late. I've seen a lot of chains dropped from a poor shift of the front derailleur when climbing a hill. In fact that happened to me this past weekend. I was climbing out of the saddle up a small hill in the big ring when two dogs jumped out in the road in front of my. I slowed to avoid hitting one and when I tried to shift the FD down, I dropped the chain. Lucky for me those dogs are friendly.
Old 07-20-15, 09:51 AM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks
Old 07-20-15, 09:55 AM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
While going down a hill if I've reached a speed that I'm comfortable with and gearing to match and I'm coasting I'll start pedaling as I reach the bottom of the hill and maintain the speed as long as I can. I'll then downshift and keep going and so on until I get to my normal cruising speed.
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
If the hill is steep enough, I get really aero and stop pedaling. I read somewhere that above about 25 mph, you are better off coasting in a tucked position from an energy standpoint. The legs flailing around in circles make pretty much drag at those speeds. Of course an exception is if you are racing and need to maintain higher speeds. I seldom allow myself to go much over 30 mph anymore. I've had a few speed wobble issues in the past and they are scary!

I usually shift to a higher gear in anticipation of pedaling again. Once my cadence starts to fall, I begin shifting to easier and easier gears when on the flats.

IMHO shifting technique when going up hills is much more important. I've found it better to shift a little early than late. I've seen a lot of chains dropped from a poor shift of the front derailleur when climbing a hill. In fact that happened to me this past weekend. I was climbing out of the saddle up a small hill in the big ring when two dogs jumped out in the road in front of my. I slowed to avoid hitting one and when I tried to shift the FD down, I dropped the chain. Lucky for me those dogs are friendly.
I think you both "get" what I was trying to express. I get to fairly high speeds when going down hill and I can't pedal fast enough. So, I guess I'll go up in gears to be able to pedal without flailing and let the momentum carry me when I get to the flats. Down shift afterwards as needed.
Old 07-20-15, 10:56 AM
SpikedLemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pedal lightly along down the hill for the most part and once I've slowed down: I really engage to try to maintain the momentum (since there's usually another hill).
Old 07-20-15, 11:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickR400
I think you both "get" what I was trying to express. I get to fairly high speeds when going down hill and I can't pedal fast enough. So, I guess I'll go up in gears to be able to pedal without flailing and let the momentum carry me when I get to the flats. Down shift afterwards as needed.
Shift as necessary, it's fast and easy.

It may not be obvious to you yet, but newer riders tend to think a lot more about shifting, and at some point it just becomes natural. The biggest problem beginners have (that I can see at least, otherwise known as my wife and son) is that you wait WAY too long to shift to an easier gear, and when you're going about 10 rpm and struggling to stay upright, panic sets in and you try to grab too many gears while you're really stomping on the pedals. Shift before it gets too hard to pedal.
Old 07-20-15, 11:57 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 881 Posts
We probably all do it a bit differently, depending on our conditioning and the steepness of the hill.
I'm an old guy with emphysema, so I rest on the down hills. Basically put the pedals at 3 & 9 o'clock and tuck the knees in while bending over more than normal. (hybrid style bikes)
I have the gear I'm going to use already selected for when I resume pedaling. That will come with experience.

As others have mentioned, downshift a bit early rather than a bit late when climbing to keep spinning at a good cadence. If you downshifted a bit too low, just keep spinning and it won't be but a few seconds of uphill and you'll be in the right gear.
Old 07-20-15, 12:03 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 116 Posts
I've got a big hill on my commute with a stop sign at the bottom, so I have to give up all the momentum I've gained on the hill. Also, that means that I'll need to be in a lower gear when I'm ready to roll again, which necessitates a shift.

What I've learned to do is shift to a lower gear while I'm still coasting downhill. I'll turn the pedals enough to allow the bike to change to the lower gears, but I'm not trying to spin so fast that I'm actually putting pressure on the drivetrain. Just because the bike is moving fast doesn't mean I have to pedal that fast.
Old 07-20-15, 05:37 PM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon
I pedal lightly along down the hill for the most part and once I've slowed down: I really engage to try to maintain the momentum (since there's usually another hill).
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Shift as necessary, it's fast and easy.
It may not be obvious to you yet, but newer riders tend to think a lot more about shifting, and at some point it just becomes natural. The biggest problem beginners have (that I can see at least, otherwise known as my wife and son) is that you wait WAY too long to shift to an easier gear, and when you're going about 10 rpm and struggling to stay upright, panic sets in and you try to grab too many gears while you're really stomping on the pedals. Shift before it gets too hard to pedal.
I went for a quick ride this afternoon and I shifter up while going down hill to minimize/stop the flailing that helped quite a bit. So did shifting more often to adjust to the road conditions.

I guess some things are learned and stay learned (like using SPD pedals) but others need relearning (like shifting) after almost 20 years off the bike.
Old 07-20-15, 08:54 PM
lane_33

Bikes: 2015 Trek 8.3 DS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I have only been riding for about 3 months (as an adult) and I already shift automatically. But yeah, generally you want to shift into an intermediate gear before stopping (at a light for example) so you can get going again.

I remember on one of my first rides I stopped on 3rd and 8th at the bottom of a hill. It's a fairly steep hill with an intersection right at the bottom so that might be some thing the OP is dealing with too. In that case you would need to shift back down before the bottom of the hill. Basically what Tundra_Man said. The hill is in my neighborhood so I usually go down it (and back up it) a few times a week. I've gotten a hang of shifting back down and then braking well ahead of the intersection.

I would also agree to shift early in anticipation of a hill rather than later once you're already applying too much pressure at too high a gear. I used to drop the chain all the time doing that, now haven't dropped it in 2 months.

Again, I'm a beginner w/ only 3 months of riding under my belt so I'm sure you will pick it up in no time.
Old 07-21-15, 12:19 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just an observation. Most North Americans drive cars with automatic gearboxes. As a result they don't learn how to use te gears in a car. Europeans mostly shift manually, so the relationship between gearing and revs is secnd nature by the time they start riding as an adult.

OP, you've got the answer. Experiment with the gears. With the chain in the big ring at the front and the small sprocket at the back you're driving the rear wheel several revolutions with each turn of the pedals. Fast, but hard. On the small ring at the front and the big sprocket at the back you're probably turning the rear wheel only one revolution for each turn of the pedals. Slow, but easy. Use the former downhill, the latter on steep uphills, something in the middle for the flats. Adjust as required.
Old 07-21-15, 01:11 PM
bikesd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for asking this question - I've been trying to maximize my gear choices too!
Old 07-22-15, 08:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 2,544 Posts
Learn to be a very active shifter. Make sure you are good at laying off the pedals so the chain is not under load during the shift (shifting under load is a great way to wear/break a chain).

For me transitioning from downhill to uphill, I try to get up speed on the downhill, try to maintain that speed on the uphill, but as necessary shift down 1-2 gears at a time until the momentum is lost and I'm just in the granny, grinding my way up. Of course it's different for every hill. With a big enough downhill, and a small enough uphill, the momentum is enough to get you up and over without shifting.

Going over the top of the hill, as it levels off, you start shifting up.
Old 07-22-15, 09:33 AM
PatrickR400

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Learn to be a very active shifter. Make sure you are good at laying off the pedals so the chain is not under load during the shift (shifting under load is a great way to wear/break a chain).

For me transitioning from downhill to uphill, I try to get up speed on the downhill, try to maintain that speed on the uphill, but as necessary shift down 1-2 gears at a time until the momentum is lost and I'm just in the granny, grinding my way up. Of course it's different for every hill. With a big enough downhill, and a small enough uphill, the momentum is enough to get you up and over without shifting.

Going over the top of the hill, as it levels off, you start shifting up.
Good stuff, especially the part about laying off the pedals; maybe that's why I got a few rough gear changes the other day
Old 07-23-15, 03:11 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so true!!
Old 07-23-15, 03:16 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Pretty much this. It becames second nature eventually.

From experience, you'll know what gears you need to be in for different situations and you'll subconsciously shift there as you ride. Also, the longer you ride, the different gears you'll need for different situations. Meaning, you might not need that granny gear for that hill in a month.

If I'm going down a decent hill, I will shift into higher gears until I can feel a moderate amount of pedal pressure under my feet. Then once there, I sometimes I coast, sometimes I pedal. Just depends on the situation. Then as I go through the bottom and start to pedal up the next hill, I will typically go, pedal pedal, shift if need to, pedal pedal pedal, shift if need to, etc. Until I get to a comfortable climbing gear.
(After riding a road bike for 4.5 weeks) I hear your newbie question. Practice makes perfect and as the others say your intuition and practice will become second nature just like driving a car. You do not worry about how long to brake before coming to a stop at an intersection, you just do it.

When Im cruising down steep inclines I find a happy medium where if I fell over I would be able to walk away with all my front teeth but fast enough to be able to switch gears and coast up the next hill. You'll have to find your own happy medium. The most important thing I would say is dont let this intimidate you, just get back on your bike again and your good to go.
Old 07-23-15, 09:36 AM
trevor1968

Bikes: Trek mamba 29er and Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hery guys! i have a question...

I have hydraulic disk breaks and they often sqeek and it drives me crazy! Is there any way to fix my problem?

Thnks!!
Old 07-23-15, 09:55 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 2,544 Posts
probably