Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Packing a c&v bike for shipping within the US

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 11:39 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I've boxed and shipped bikes before without problems, but it's been several years now.

Can anyone suggest any You Tube videos to help with the dismantling and packing?

I have plenty of experience and tools for the dismantling and plenty of appropriate packaging materials.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-14-23 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 11:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
https://www.bikeflights.com/?gclid=C...xoC2rUQAvD_BwE
Likes For curbtender:
Old 01-14-23, 11:53 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
Not a video but
shipping

C&V frameset meets pool noodles for first time
Old 01-14-23, 01:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've boxed and shipped bikes before without problems, but it's been several years now.

Can anyone suggest any You Tube videos to help with the dismantling and packing?

I have plenty of experience and tools for the dismantling and plenty of appropriate packaging materials.
The cost now days is eye watering.

Bikeflights will have you cutting the box down to keep under the up charge threshold.

They are pretty much the only game in town and at the mercy of UPS who thinks they are doing us a huge favor.

Make sure it is insured so if it takes a hit with no crush zones its covered.
Old 01-14-23, 03:17 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
The cost now days is eye watering.

Bikeflights will have you cutting the box down to keep under the up charge threshold.

They are pretty much the only game in town and at the mercy of UPS who thinks they are doing us a huge favor.

Make sure it is insured so if it takes a hit with no crush zones its covered.

Pirateship.com is another reseller -- and i've found them to be priced lower than bikeflights, FWIW.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 01-14-23, 03:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
On insurance, just realize any of the carriers will claim "poorly packed" and decline your claim. Then they will wear you out, asking for pictures of the package itself, pics inside, etc. Then they will repeat the request five or six times.

Box cutting is a must, as many bike boxes are TOO big as they sit.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-14-23, 07:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by JulesCW
Pirateship.com is another reseller -- and i've found them to be priced lower than bikeflights, FWIW.
Not IME on the last 3 or 4 that I did and checked on.
Old 01-14-23, 07:57 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Not IME on the last 3 or 4 that I did and checked on.

Shipping pricing is a dark science, and YMMV!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 01-14-23, 09:16 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by wrk101
On insurance, just realize any of the carriers will claim "poorly packed" and decline your claim. Then they will wear you out, asking for pictures of the package itself, pics inside, etc. Then they will repeat the request five or six times.

Box cutting is a must, as many bike boxes are TOO big as they sit.
Maybe so but every cut down box I have received did not escape unscathed.

Insurance is a no brainer as its so cheap its foolish not to get it regardless of the challenge, at least you have a chance to recover some of a loss, without it you are guaranteed to be SOL.

The last 2 had the HS cups dinged and was lucky the frames were ok. Both were shipping on the seller so they were trying to keep they're cost down but not smart enough to mitigate the downfall of it.

This is the problem with shipping, nobody wants to do it correctly and its not that hard to insulate the contact points if you think about it.

I use a slit tennis ball on the HT and ST with shrink wrap or masking/electrical tape when I pack but it can be very challenging to get a shipper to cooperate when they are trying to cheap out.

And many of them don't want to take direction when they think they are doing you a favor.

Its a slippery slope and a PITA especially now with the cost so high