Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 03:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
The biggest waste is spending money on items that do not fit your ridding style. Buying a light weight carbon bike while being overweight.
Greg Lemond is a bit overweight these days ... should he not be riding a lightweight carbon bike?
Old 03-11-23, 03:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
The biggest waste is spending money on items that do not fit your ridding style. Buying a light weight carbon bike while being overweight.
This is a .... well, never mind.

I am extremely overweight, and I own two bikes which are around 17 pounds road-ready (lights pedals, tubes, tools .... ) How much weight do I need to lose before I am allowed to ride them?

Seems like a silly question, but then your post ....

I enjoy riding a range of bikes, but I prefer lighter bikes in general. I know I am not faster, I know I am not cooler (I really couldn't be any cooler ... ) and I know some snobs think i should be riding Huffies and Magnas. Stuff them. I bought the parts, built my bikes, and I like them And it is nobody else's business.

I agree, buying a bike not suited to one's riding style would be a waste. That is why I do not own any beach cruisers, nor any Walmart mountain bikes. Otherwise ... feel free to grab a few clues next time you are out of your bubble.

Fat people are allowed to have nice stuff. Go tit? Even prejudiced, small-minded and hateful people are allowed to have nice stuff ... but who would want to be one of those?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-11-23, 04:03 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Biggest wastes for me are bike fits and paying a mechanic to do work incorrectly.
Old 03-11-23, 04:38 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Upon personal reflection, driving 15 miles to a MUP trail when I had great hilly roads outside my front door.
Wasted time and gas before embracing hills.
If you had started out with those hills, you probably would have thought cycling sucks without the base fitness and bike handling of riding the MUP for a while. Many a non-cyclist's single-experience story starts "I went with my friends up the local hills...." and ends "...and I sold the bike a week later."
Likes For Leinster:
Old 03-11-23, 07:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Are you under some delusion that the weight of the bike has to be proportional to the weight of the rider?

Maybe think twice before posting next time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-11-23, 08:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Greg Lemond is a bit overweight these days ... should he not be riding a lightweight carbon bike?
The Executive Chairman of LeMond Carbon?

“Man,” I burst out. “But why? Why do you need a carbon-fiber water bottle cage?”

LeMond laughs. “Because I own a carbon-fiber factory!” he says. “What else do you need it for? Do you want to sprinkle it on your breakfast cereal?”
https://www.wired.com/story/greg-lem...ed-dream-bike/
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-11-23, 09:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
The biggest waste of money in biking (at least for me ) is to cheap out and try to make do with something cheap or not really what you want, and end up buying what you really needed or wanted,

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-11-23, 09:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

The tandem bike was not a hit but not sure if I regret it. More like I invested too much emotion in it. That's how they sell the things, really

The Cleary Scout 24 that I got for my oldest kid. He doesn't want it, and it's tweaked right out of the box
Old 03-11-23, 09:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Carbon pedals?

Old 03-12-23, 08:30 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you under some delusion that the weight of the bike has to be proportional to the weight of the rider?

Maybe think twice before posting next time.
I see my post is misunderstood. Some are fast to jump to a conclusion. For starters I m also overweight. The idea is that performance oriented ridders are often focused on reducing the weight of their bikes and spending much money to do this. Many ridders could lose their extra pounds which would be less of a money waste. Now if you already are at optimum weight, reducing the weight of the bike will be useful, if marginal even. The same can be said of car racers would spend large amounts of money to gain a weight advantage. It s about expectations. If your goal is performance buying a carbon light weight wonder is only part of attaining your goal. Buying that 500$ golf driver may help but so would improving your swing.

Last edited by jfouellette; 03-12-23 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-12-23, 09:09 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rsbob
Carbon pedals?
But … pedals are rotating weight!!!
Old 03-12-23, 09:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I see my post is misunderstood. Some are fast to jump to a conclusion. For starters I m also overweight. The idea is that performance oriented ridders are often focused on reducing the weight of their bikes and spending much money to do this. Many ridders could lose their extra pounds which would be less of a money waste. Now if you already are at optimum weight, reducing the weight of the bike will be useful, if marginal even. The same can be said of car racers would spend large amounts of money to gain a weight advantage. It s about expectations. If your goal is performance buying a carbon light weight wonder is only part of attaining your goal. Buying that 500$ golf driver may help but so would improving your swing.
Having a light, high-performance bike inspires me to ride, because riding that kind of bike is exciting. Riding more helps me lose weight. Why do I have to wait until I lose weight to ride the kind of bike I like to ride?
Old 03-12-23, 10:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The idea is that performance oriented ridders [sic] are often focused on reducing the weight of their bikes and spending much money to do this. Many ridders [sic] could lose their extra pounds which would be less of a money waste.
This runs very close to the "light components are wasted on you, lose some weight" unsolicited advice that appears every time someone brings up bike component weight.

It is not helpful.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-12-23, 10:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But … pedals are rotating weight!!!
ohhhh that made my poor engineer head hurt
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-12-23, 10:55 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
It looks like some people are sensitive about discussing weight and performance. Given this, I’m going to ride my bike. Goodbye and have a nice day being light and fast. Buy whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by jfouellette; 03-12-23 at 11:01 AM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-12-23, 11:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
I’m pretty thin and I’m still slow on my fancy bike, so I guess that settles that.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-12-23, 11:19 AM
tomato coupe

The real dilemma is knowing when you've reached your absolute minimum body weight, so that you are then allowed to spend money on a lighter bike.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-12-23, 11:49 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I’m pretty thin and I’m still slow on my fancy bike, so I guess that settles that.
As a lifetime member of the "thin and still slow" club, I feel this.

If it were't for power-to-weight ratio, I'd have no power at all.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-12-23, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You aren't making this any better.

I don't judge how easy or hard it is for someone else to lose weight, but if they can't, they're still entitled to try to cut vehicle weight elsewhere.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-23, 12:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It looks like some people are sensitive about discussing weight and performance. Given this, I’m going to ride my bike. Goodbye and have a nice day being light and fast. Buy whatever floats your boat.
You said something dumb. It happens to all of us, don't try to put it on other people being "sensitive". You fell for OP's original troll trap and tried to judge other people's buying preferences.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-23, 12:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I am far from sensitive about my weight. I weigh (after a winter of lung disease) just over an eighth of a ton.

I like light bikes. Most of my bikes are not light, but I like a lot of types of bikes.

What I don't like is snobs telling me I cannot have or do not deserve, or I am wasting money building or buying, a light bike because I should just lose weight.

That is what you said, and I find it mean-spirited and also ignorant.

Prove to me that you deserve any of the bikes you own ... I can invent criteria which you cannot meet. Then you can sell all your bikes because owning bikes you could not ride would be wasteful.

I agree with Livedarklions (very rarely .... ) You said something which was offensive, but so what? No real harm, no real foul. We can all move on .... but stop trying to defend or justify what you said. It was just kind of stupid.

As I said in Post #778 ... I know I am not faster on a lighter bike. I track my stats, I can prove it. Some days i want to take out my light endurance-geometry bike .... tons of fun. Some days I ride my race-geometry lightweight .... it is a little harder on the body because of the lower stack and longer reach, but still fun .... more fun when i drop a few pounds and stretch some (couldn't do a lot of exercise this winter .... busy drowning in mucus.)

Some days I like to ride my comfy work/rain bike. It is very similar to my lightweight endurance bike in every way except it weighs ten pounds more ... but I really like it and like to ride it. Some days my steel Raleigh gets the call ... and some days my old Cannondale, which weighs so much I haven't ever weighed it. A touring triple is overkill around here but i still like the bike.

Is that okay with you? Can you understand that "performance" means different things at different times even to a single person?

Or more to the point .... can you understand that your judgmental crap is just that, crap, and that you should maybe be glad that we are not going to condemn you for condemning us for not losing weight before buying bikes you think we don't deserve?

Seriously, you don't even have to apologize ... we all mess up. Just stop trying to justify an error. It is not a strong look for you.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-12-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-12-23, 12:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
As a lifetime member of the "thin and still slow" club, I feel this.

Love it!

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-12-23, 01:19 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Looks like an "I'll take my ball and go home" response. Now who is sensitive?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 01:23 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Having a light, high-performance bike inspires me to ride, because riding that kind of bike is exciting. Riding more helps me lose weight. Why do I have to wait until I lose weight to ride the kind of bike I like to ride?
Exactly. If a lighter bike motivates you to ride more, you will get into better shape and lose weight. Not a waste.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-12-23, 03:18 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Were you born under a bad sign too?
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.