Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 10:14 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That would certainly be the case for high end cycling shoes with their ultra stiff, carbon plated soles. Made strictly for cycling performance. Now you're seeing running shoes with the same. Carbon rocker/roller plates and other technology that guides your foot instead of letting it do it's job naturally.
Typical foot dynamics don't work with cycling any more they do in skiing, skating or any other sport where your feet are attached to some other object.

An ultra stiff cycling shoe is going to be more beneficial for foot health than a loose flexible shoe as the stiff shoe is going to prevent hot spots, pressure spots and all that stuff.

I'm all for minimalist and barefoot shoes for walking and running, but cycling doesn't play by the same rules.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-21-23, 10:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The industry unfortunantely has swung the other way. Getting hard to find a simple low drop, low stack trainer that gives you some cushion and nothing else. The shoe industry has become like the bike industry.
My first and favorite running shoe was the Onitsuka Tiger, back when you had to have a connection on a college squad to buy them. Lightweight, minimal support. The only change I made was an arch support for my high arches. I wore out so many of those shoes in the 1970s.

Unbelievably, they still make the Onitsuka Mexico, as a fashion shoe. It looks like it is essentially unchanged from the original.

Old 03-21-23, 10:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
My first and favorite running shoe was the Onitsuka Tiger, back when you had to have a connection on a college squad to buy them. Lightweight, minimal support. The only change I made was an arch support for my high arches. I wore out so many of those shoes in the 1970s.

Unbelievably, they still make the Onitsuka Mexico, as a fashion shoe. It looks like it is essentially unchanged from the original.

Which has morphed through the years into this:

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/metas...1B215-301.html
Old 03-21-23, 11:08 AM
seypat

A former BF member who got booted in the past 1-3 years ran for Onitsuka/Asics in the late 70s, early 80s.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-21-23, 11:18 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Eric F
Good timing, too. SRAM has announced their new drivetrain for MTB that changes the established format for rear derailleur mounting and are pushing it as the best thing ever...of course.
Guess I better read up on that since the argument threads will start soon.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-21-23, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Guess I better read up on that since the argument threads will start soon.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/sram-...-transmission/
Old 03-21-23, 11:55 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well I read up on it. I have no dog in the fight since I'm commited to older groups anyway. The only comment that comes to mind is this. It seems like the cycling industry is doing everything it can to be as exclusive of a hobby/sport as possible, at least regarding the 2-3 companies that sell high end components. Shimano is introducing CUES, but that's not aimed at the high end market. No backwards compatability. You replace a universal derailleur with a system that's not. That's a big middle finger to your customers that have been loyal.

I do have another comment. Has SRAM ever made an attractive group? That one's not.

Last edited by seypat; 03-21-23 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-21-23, 12:03 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Typical foot dynamics don't work with cycling any more they do in skiing, skating or any other sport where your feet are attached to some other object.

An ultra stiff cycling shoe is going to be more beneficial for foot health than a loose flexible shoe as the stiff shoe is going to prevent hot spots, pressure spots and all that stuff.

I'm all for minimalist and barefoot shoes for walking and running, but cycling doesn't play by the same rules.
I don’t know that I agree that a cycling shoe has to be ultra stiff, and certainly I would have no interest in a stiff shoe that has any toe spring or that is not wide and properly foot shaped.

OTOH, I do cycle now in my Lem’s, which are basically a “transitional” minimal shoe. That is, they have the basics of a minimal shoe: a wide, foot-shaped toe box, no heel drop, a flat footbed and relatively flexible sole, but with a slightly thicker and stiffer sole that works better for cycling.

The critical difference in the Lem’s is a sole that is 10mm thick and thus stiff enough to work well for cycling with platform pedals. Truly minimal shoes with 5-6mm stack height are just too thin for me to be comfortable when pedaling hard. As always, YMMV.

Otto
Old 03-21-23, 12:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Which has morphed through the years into this:

https://www.asics.com/us/en-us/metas...1B215-301.html
Converse track flats - just enough sole that the skin of your feet didn't touch the pavement, just enough uppers that they didn't fall off. Padding? Who needed padding? We were 17!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-21-23, 12:11 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by genejockey
Converse track flats - just enough sole that the skin of your feet didn't touch the pavement, just enough uppers that they didn't fall off. Padding? Who needed padding? We were 17!
Got any PF Flyers by chance? I remenber those from way BITD.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-21-23, 12:15 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I typically put 3mm thick flat insoles in my shoes when I run and take them out for all other use. Especially on our hard indoor track surface, it’s pretty harsh on the soles of my feet with no insole at all. Anything over three miles means I absolutely need the insole to tame the wear on my feet.

Otto
Old 03-21-23, 12:23 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
My race day shoe was the Tiger Boston. I left them in a hotel in Hawaii, and I was devastated.

The same model is going for $795 on Etsy, and it's my size. Heck, maybe these are my long lost shoes:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-21-23, 12:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
My race day shoe was the Tiger Boston. I left them in a hotel in Hawaii, and I was devastated.

The same model is going for $795 on Etsy, and it's my size. Heck, maybe these are my long lost shoes:

I was a sprinter, so my race shoes were spikes - a hard plastic sole with 4 threaded holes for spikes, with a hint of a heel and just enough uppers to keep the spikes in place under your foot. I can't remember what they looked like, because I wore them for 11 seconds, or 24 seconds, or 55 seconds at a time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-21-23, 12:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Well I read up on it. I have no dog in the fight since I'm commited to older groups anyway. The only comment that comes to mind is this. It seems like the cycling industry is doing everything it can to be as exclusive of a hobby/sport as possible, at least regarding the 2-3 companies that sell high end components. Shimano is introducing CUES, but that's not aimed at the high end market. No backwards compatability. You replace a universal derailleur with a system that's not. That's a big middle finger to your customers that have been loyal.
How is that a middle finger? It just means that SRAM is going to have to convince people that it's good enough to warrant buying a new style of frame. Obviously, by doing so, they are limiting the initial release of this line to new bikes, so how is this an insult to me if I want to keep my older style SRAM derailleur on my older bike?
I have no idea if this is going to be a better arrangement, but the appeal of eliminating a part that often gets damaged is rather obvious. I absolutely don't get this notion that offering consumers more options somehow insults them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-21-23, 01:20 PM
seypat

How is that a middle finger? It just means that SRAM is going to have to convince people that it's good enough to warrant buying a new style of frame. Obviously, by doing so, they are limiting the initial release of this line to new bikes, so how is this an insult to me if I want to keep my older style SRAM derailleur on my older bike?
I have no idea if this is going to be a better arrangement, but the appeal of eliminating a part that often gets damaged is rather obvious. I absolutely don't get this notion that offering consumers more options somehow insults them.
The UDH came out in 2019. That means the product life cycle for the new system they want you to buy might only be 3-4 years as well before you have to change again and possibly have to buy an all new frame/bike. The UDH was/is there to possibly save the RD during a crash. You've eliminated that, so back to damaging an RD. You also have to disgard your current bike if it's a 2018 or older. All of that is a middle finger to me. They did make the RD modular, so must be expecting it to wear parts/get damaged on a regular basis. I guess that's better than the whole RD each time. Like I said I have no dog in the fight. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-21-23, 01:25 PM
seypat

I was a sprinter, so my race shoes were spikes - a hard plastic sole with 4 threaded holes for spikes, with a hint of a heel and just enough uppers to keep the spikes in place under your foot. I can't remember what they looked like, because I wore them for 11 seconds, or 24 seconds, or 55 seconds at a time.
I was also a sprinter. My time/efforts were mostly spent in these, though. They were dethroned by the Air Jordan.

Old 03-21-23, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The UDH came out in 2019. That means the product life cycle for the new system they want you to buy might only be 3-4 years as well before you have to change again and possibly have to buy an all new frame/bike. The UDH was/is there to possibly save the RD during a crash. You've eliminated that, so back to damaging an RD. You also have to disgard your current bike if it's a 2018 or older. All of that is a middle finger to me. They did make the RD modular, so must be expecting it to wear parts/get damaged on a regular basis. I guess that's better than the whole RD each time. Like I said I have no dog in the fight. We'll see how it goes.
Are you claiming that SRAM is going to switch all of its production to the new standard and that everything older will become unavailable? It would be absolute brand suicide, and I don't believe it for a second.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-21-23, 01:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Are you claiming that SRAM is going to switch all of its production to the new standard and that everything older will become unavailable? It would be absolute brand suicide, and I don't believe it for a second.
Right now, this is only at the top end of SRAM's MTB range. My expectation is that it will trickle down over time, and that may be based on how it is adopted/accepted by frame manufacturers and users.
Old 03-21-23, 02:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

A long-term test video I watched discussed multiple built-in contingencies for damage protection from front and side impacts. They also demonstrated being able to stand on the rear derailleur without damaging it.

I'm not a fan of the idea that a frame has to be built exclusively for this design, and eliminates the ability to use other drivetrains. That seems to be the case, but maybe I'm wrong, or the manufacturers can make their frames adaptable.
Old 03-21-23, 02:01 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I don’t know that I agree that a cycling shoe has to be ultra stiff, and certainly I would have no interest in a stiff shoe that has any toe spring or that is not wide and properly foot shaped.
Toe spring isn't necessary if you don't plan on doing significant walking in cycling shoes.

A poorly fitting shoe, ie. too narrow for the foot being stuck in there isn't a fault of the shoe, it's the fault of the user. One should always choose shoes that are correctly shaped.
Though that kept in mind, cycling shoes can be narrower than walking shoes as you shouldn't be using your toes for anything. Since they can remain at rest and thus in narrow formation the shoe doesn't need to have extra space for splaying. The nearest analog for foot function I can think of for cycling is standing. Or maybe doing light quarter squats.

And because the foot is really not doing anything in cycling I do believe the foot should be supported to remain in place ie. heavy duty arch supports. It's a thing I'd never put near any walking or running shoe but for cycling they're the last piece of the foot-leg-pelvic stability puzzle. Once the foot is nice and immobile, a significant percentage of weight on saddle just disappears.

OTOH, I do cycle now in my Lem’s, which are basically a “transitional” minimal shoe. That is, they have the basics of a minimal shoe: a wide, foot-shaped toe box, no heel drop, a flat footbed and relatively flexible sole, but with a slightly thicker and stiffer sole that works better for cycling.

The critical difference in the Lem’s is a sole that is 10mm thick and thus stiff enough to work well for cycling with platform pedals. Truly minimal shoes with 5-6mm stack height are just too thin for me to be comfortable when pedaling hard. As always, YMMV.

Otto
for me minimalist shoes work for light cycling around town. Cycling without shoes isn't an issue either. But I wouldn't want to ride longer distances without proper foot stabilization. I always start getting all sorts of issues when I try.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-21-23, 02:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Right now, this is only at the top end of SRAM's MTB range. My expectation is that it will trickle down over time, and that may be based on how it is adopted/accepted by frame manufacturers and users.

Given that scenario, it's hard for me to get how seypat 's concern with 'backwards compatibility" is even relevant. It just means you can't retrofit older bikes to take it, so what? The older bikes will still operate just fine with their older technology. Those bikes aren't going to be made obsolete.

Backwards compatibility is mostly an electronics industry concern, where so many of the devices rely on their ability to interact with other devices and software to be useful. There's where an innovation that becomes the new standard can cause your device to be obsolete. People are only going to be running one rear derailleur system on any given bike, just because it's older doesn't make the bike less ride-worthy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-21-23, 02:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

A long-term test video I watched discussed multiple built-in contingencies for damage protection from front and side impacts. They also demonstrated being able to stand on the rear derailleur without damaging it.

I'm not a fan of the idea that a frame has to be built exclusively for this design, and eliminates the ability to use other drivetrains. That seems to be the case, but maybe I'm wrong, or the manufacturers can make their frames adaptable.

This to me is the far bigger issue with the backwards compatibility--that SRAM is limited in its market for the new product. That's not an eff you to the consumers, it's the level of risk that SRAM is taking on here. I don't know how many frame manufacturers are going to want to build these frames that are compatible only with this standard, and if the answer is zero, this technology ain't going anywhere. There's got to be some critical mass point where the number of new bikes produced with this standard is enough to make the line worth producing.
Old 03-21-23, 02:54 PM
seypat

What I'd be worrried about is forking out the dough for another bike with this new system. Then in 3-4 years, maybe the next time they add another gear, they tweak the hanger system just enough that I have to buy another new frame/bike because the one I purchased now won't be compatible with the future system. So new bike every 3-4 years. That's what I get out of it. I could be wrong.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-21-23, 02:58 PM
seypat

You're in that target market. What do you think about it so far?
Old 03-21-23, 03:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

This to me is the far bigger issue with the backwards compatibility--that SRAM is limited in its market for the new product. That's not an eff you to the consumers, it's the level of risk that SRAM is taking on here. I don't know how many frame manufacturers are going to want to build these frames that are compatible only with this standard, and if the answer is zero, this technology ain't going anywhere. There's got to be some critical mass point where the number of new bikes produced with this standard is enough to make the line worth producing.
On the test video I saw, the bike was a Yeti, so apparently 1 manufacturer is on board at some level. I would expect that we will see the system on the World Cup MTB circuit, too, which would mean others are also on board.

EDIT: New stuff I just learned...The new SRAM system utilizes SRAM's UDH rear end standard (I see that seypat mentioned this previously), which exists on 210 MTB frames currently available. If that's the case, my issue with bikes not being compatible with other manufacturer's systems is resolved.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-21-23 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For Eric F:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.