Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 05:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I do hear stuff like this often from other riders "well, that bike is OK for you"... A guy will say something like "well, that aluminum frame and 105 is good enough for your level", then spout off about his this or that bike and CF wheels that cost more than my entire bike...
Sorry to hear that and I'm actually surprised. Through a fluke of geography I was drawn into a riding group mostly far above my modest financial status. For example, folks having multiple $10K bikes is not remarkable. In over 20 years I don't recall ever hearing a bike being dissed because of cost or level of components.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-23-23, 06:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I got clobbered by one of the posters on this thread for saying that I know people who actually ended up not buying any bike because they were overwhelmed by the " entry level" upselling.
The higher you define this as, the more likely people will be discouraged from "entering" because of their fear that money will end up being a waste. And this upselling includes kit as well as bikes, so the fear of the potential newbie just multiplies.
It's a serious issue for someone wanting to try it out. Even picking up used bikes can be a crapshoot now for a newbie if he/she has to chase down parts. What about the parent that has a teen that wants to pick it up? When my kids were that age it was easy. Get something off of CL and get it running. Most of the components were somewhat interchangable. Not now. I have a couple of bikes I keep as loaners for runners thinking about dabbling in cycling/tri. They're 80's bikes with DT or old brifters. Still better than forking out 1-2k+ just to see if you will enjoy it.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-23-23, 06:10 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sorry to hear that and I'm actually surprised. Through a fluke of geography I was drawn into a riding group mostly far above my modest financial status. For example, folks having multiple $10K bikes is not remarkable. In over 20 years I don't recall ever hearing a bike being dissed because of cost or level of components.
It happens to me all the time. One thing that gets a comment from the "serious cyclists" is 2 sided(1 flat the other SPD) pedals on a sporty road bike. I use them to get across an intersection faster from a stop, then clip in when it's safe to do so. That way, I don't leave the riders behind me(if there are any) hung out to dry waiting to get through also. That happens to be a pet peeve of mine. Those same riders it seems, are also the ones who fail to downshift coming into a stop. They have to take off on the big ring and a small cog. Out of the saddle, dancing on the pedals like they're on a Cat climb. Oblivious to the people behind them. It takes them forever to get going and back up to speed. It's like following a loaded semi. You'd think with all the technological advancements/improvements being talked about it this thread that wouldn't happen. I guess they think they look pro or like a rider in a Rapha/Pearl Izumi commercial. Sorry for the sudden rant/vent.

Last edited by seypat; 03-23-23 at 06:42 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-23-23, 06:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I'd call that a "choice of components" comment rather than cost. We did have some laughs about a guy who decided to remove every other spoke from his wheels....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-23-23, 06:26 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I hate to point out this well-iknown fact, but TDF winner's average speed, measured over all stages and across all years, has not significantly improved since the mid 90s. It's really, really hard to make a case that bikes made today are faster.

The industry of course needs to keep introducing new product with "higher tech" in order to keep the industry alive. Non-racers may in fact be faster because their cool new CF bike with electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes makes them get out there more, and motivates them to go faster.

There's nothing wrong with the way bicycles are marketed. If they couldn't find new ways to sell bikes by constantly introducing new features and "innovations", the industry wouldn't thrive. People on BF get butt-hurt when anyone says that, but it's worth pointing out that this same exact thing happens with ANY consumer product. Anyone else here seriously into home theater? Talk about pushing product. These same discussions are had in those forums.
I see you might have read a question as a statement...

However to your point, it's possible that many bikes targeted to consumers may in fact be slower than top tier racing bikes of old. And that's a good thing. Consumers do not need TDF-level racing bikes. They need good ergonomics and gearing that allows them to get up hills as well as brakes which allow them to descend safely.

Using TDF average speeds to determine whether bikes have improved over the years is like comparing engine sizes in formula 1 to determine whether family cars have gotten safer over the years. The two things are in no way or form related.

If I think of road bikes before the time of brifters for example, they really weren't that compatible for your average joe. Horrible bar ergonimics wih thin tubed drop bars with massive reach and drop numbers, thin bar tape, weak brakes you could only properly use from the drops, atrocious brake hoods (did anyone even use the hoods position?). There weren't cut out saddles or really that many different saddle shapes so numbness was just something you had to deal with or stop riding. Frame sizing was pretty uniform but if you didn't fit that uniformity, well SOL... Corncob cassettes with 53-39 cranksets must have been a blast beginners. Shifting while releasing a hand from the bars is always fun and safe in all situations.

Compare that to today's bikes which have large diameter compact drop bars, thick bar tape, brifters which actually fit the hand and allow you to shift whilst holding the bar. Saddles galore! With todays wacky saddle shapes anyone can find a saddle that fits. There's all sorts of bike geometries even inside a given segment of cycling (road, gravel etc) and anyone who's still having a really hard time is a short person with long legs. You have huge dinner plate cassettes with enough gears to have reasonable gear spacing and sub compact cranksets to allow almost anyone to get up even challenging hills. I should probably write something about brakes, but let's not go there again.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 03-23-23, 07:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
I sense you are butt-hurt.
No I was just laughing at your comedy post. I don't care what you think about the bike industry, but it is funny.
Old 03-23-23, 07:54 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I can't think of many wasteful things but kick stands for anything other than a commuter.
Old 03-23-23, 08:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts

I ride bikes in the 2k range. I can afford more, just choose not to. I do hear stuff like this often from other riders "well, that bike is OK for you". Mind you, I can't be or don't get offended by anything, so it makes me laugh. A guy will say something like "well, that aluminum frame and 105 is good enough for your level", then spout off about his this or that bike and CF wheels that cost more than my entire bike... then not be able to keep up on the long ride.

There are absolutely people out there who think the $$$$ parts are needed, vs wanted, for their 18-20 mph group rides.
A newbie getting lied to by an unscrupulous salesperson is very different than an enthusiast buying a pricey thing they want.

And a dick judging you for your bike is BS. Anyone who has been doing club rides or racing for a while knows better than that. Getting dropped by someone on a beater bike or a much older person or (heaven forbid) a woman will teach humility. I know, some guys can't handle it. I got used to it long ago.
Old 03-23-23, 08:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A newbie getting lied to by an unscrupulous salesperson is very different than an enthusiast buying a pricey thing they want.

And a dick judging you for your bike is BS. Anyone who has been doing club rides or racing for a while knows better than that. Getting dropped by someone on a beater bike or a much older person or (heaven forbid) a woman will teach humility. I know, some guys can't handle it. I got used to it long ago.

To be clear, I don't disagree with you (mostly), but I think the newbie/enthusiast distinction is worth discussing, so I'm glad Jughed brought it up. I disagree that this is just an issue of a particular salesperson, though, as I think the constant reference of relatively expensive bikes and kit as being "entry level" is an industry thing.
Old 03-23-23, 08:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Cdubs
I can't think of many wasteful things but kick stands for anything other than a commuter.

I found it very useful when I was pulling my kid around in a trailer and when I used to have baskets on my bike. They can also be useful if you're storing the bike inside with limited space and you can't make holes in the wall.
Old 03-23-23, 08:54 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
To be clear, I don't disagree with you (mostly), but I think the newbie/enthusiast distinction is worth discussing, so I'm glad Jughed brought it up. I disagree that this is just an issue of a particular salesperson, though, as I think the constant reference of relatively expensive bikes and kit as being "entry level" is an industry thing.
Sales people are generally going to push people to spend more, regardless of the product. "Let the buyer beware" applies to bike shops as much as anywhere else.

I'm a retired new car dealer mechanic. Some of what certain service advisors do to customers makes me sick to my stomach. They get paid commission, their job is to get as much money from the customer as possible. When one advisor starts out-selling the others, the others are encouraged to sell more and may be threatened with termination.

Of course, they're not all like that and I'm sure some bike shop people actually care and have morals. Some might just be ignorant and believe that a $5K bike is the minimum for a decent mtb.
Old 03-23-23, 08:57 AM
Cdubs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I found it very useful when I was pulling my kid around in a trailer and when I used to have baskets on my bike. They can also be useful if you're storing the bike inside with limited space and you can't make holes in the wall.
Totally understand. I find the bike world is such a personal experience it's one of the few activities where there are very few hard rules for doing anything.
Old 03-23-23, 08:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
By "industry" do you mean bike manufacturers or bike shops?
Old 03-23-23, 09:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski

Yes.
Old 03-23-23, 09:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Cdubs
Totally understand. I find the bike world is such a personal experience it's one of the few activities where there are very few hard rules for doing anything.

This is why I refuse to engage in saying someone else is wasting their money.
Old 03-23-23, 09:38 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Disagree on the wheel sets.
It is getting harder to find decent rim-brake wheelsets.

Colorado Cyclist offers 8 different 700c wheels on their website, from Zipp and Easton. Wheels that accommodate rim braking: zero.

Cambria Bike offers 28 different carbon 700c wheels on their website. Wheels that accommodate rim braking: zero.

Old 03-23-23, 09:41 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
It is getting harder to find decent rim-brake wheelsets.

Colorado Cyclist offers 8 different 700c wheels on their website, from Zipp and Easton. Wheels that accommodate rim braking: zero.

Cambria Bike offers 28 different carbon 700c wheels on their website. Wheels that accommodate rim braking: zero.
Nothing here that suits you?

https://velomine.com/collections/wheels
Old 03-23-23, 09:46 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It appears to be both.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...ris-r2000.html
Old 03-23-23, 09:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Nothing here that suits you?

https://velomine.com/collections/wheels
An exception. I stand by my observation that most online shops no longer carry high quality rim brake 700c wheels.

Old 03-23-23, 09:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
A big waste is an expensive hair cut.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-23-23, 09:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
If I think of road bikes before the time of brifters for example, they really weren't that compatible for your average joe.
Sure they were.
Horrible bar ergonimics wih thin tubed drop bars with massive reach and drop numbers, thin bar tape, weak brakes you could only properly use from the drops, atrocious brake hoods (did anyone even use the hoods position?).
Reach and drop were easily adjustable using different, appropriately sized parts. I always used padded tape--still do. I can easily operate my brakes from my (very comfortable) hoods with one finger.
There weren't cut out saddles or really that many different saddle shapes so numbness was just something you had to deal with or stop riding.
Where are you getting all this silly information? Half the people on this Forum still ride Brooks saddles.
Frame sizing was pretty uniform but if you didn't fit that uniformity, well SOL...
There were a hell of a lot more sizing choices than "S/M/L."
Corncob cassettes with 53-39 cranksets must have been a blast beginners.
No one forced you to get a "corn cob" cassette. And when 53-39 came around, that was pretty nice!
Shifting while releasing a hand from the bars is always fun and safe in all situations.
It's no big deal...really.

Last edited by smd4; 03-23-23 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-23-23, 10:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I was just in the LBS, a not so very fit woman was looking at MTB's - and the salesman flat out said "to get a good MTB, you need to spend a min of 5k".
"Good" is a very vague term. One person's definition of "good" could be very different than someone else's. For a serious XC racer, looking to buy a brand new bike from a LBS, "min of $5k" is probably right, possibly even a bit low. $4k gets you a Specialized Epic (full-sus XC bike) with SRAM NX components. For a newer racer, that bike might be great. For an experienced racer looking to take a step up to something lighter/better, it's more likely that they are looking for a bike with an XT or XO1 build, which is going to push things north of the $5k line. Based on my own personal POV, a "good MTB" (new from a LBS) is going to be in that $5k+ category. Your opinion of "good" might be totally different, and that's just fine.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-23-23 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-23-23, 10:07 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
An exception. I stand by my observation that most online shops no longer carry high quality rim brake 700c wheels.
While I agree 100% that the selections are definitely getting thinner, high quality rim-brake wheels can still be found. Hunt Wheels, is one.
Old 03-23-23, 10:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
I don't know what constitutes the biggest waste of money in cycling, but I know that the biggest waste of time is worrying about how other people spend their money.
Old 03-23-23, 10:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Eric F
While I agree 100% that the selections are definitely getting thinner, high quality rim-brake wheels can still be found. Hunt Wheels, is one.
Light Bicycle also still carries two "quick buy" (pre-built?) rim brake wheels. 45mm and 55mm deep.

Not clear how quick that "quick buy" option is. When you click on the quick buy wheelset, it takes you to the Customize & Buy page.

Likes For terrymorse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.