Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-11, 07:18 PM
ymmc55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone help

Today I just bought a Maruishi Road Ace 303 today. I when I got home I looked it up on the internet and I am not finding anything about them and I see you can not buy any suntour componets if they are needed. I bought it cause it was in great shape and road real nice on the road. Should I invest any money into it since it has been sitting since 1987. It was bought new in 1982. Can some one advise me. Thank You my e-mail is ymmc55@yahoo.com
Old 07-24-11, 07:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I buy Suntour components all of the time, USED. Suntour went bankrupt almost 20 years ago. Make many millions (probably billions) of parts. They will be out there on the used market for many decades to come.

As far as whether to put any money in this particular bike, post pictures. Certainly a bike that has been sitting for almost 20 years will need the basic routine maintenance: bearings, grease, cables and most likely tires.
Old 07-24-11, 07:35 PM
ymmc55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you very much for your reply. I did ride it today and everything works and the bike went great. Have you ever heard of a maruishi road ace. From what I under stand it was a japenise company very big in its days. the man I bought it from bought it when he was there in 82 and road it for 5 years and stored it in 87 and just took it out yesterday the bike looks great in very good shape. yes i will post a pic of it and i will bring it to a shop tomorrow to have them look it over
Old 07-24-11, 07:44 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...... Certainly a bike that has been sitting for almost 20 years will need the basic routine maintenance: bearings, grease, cables and most likely tires.
^ What he says!

You need to tend to these things or you risk damaging your bearing surfaces - or worse, as in the case of brakes and tires.

BTW - it's not so likely you'll need any Suntour components - their stuff was built to last, but if anything ever does need replacing it should not be too difficult to find, as Thrifty Bill notes.