Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Puncture repair patches glue on or self adhesive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 03:29 PM
Crwban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Which are best?

Last edited by Crwban; 10-07-23 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-07-23, 03:41 PM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Did you search this forum, before starting the thread, on such a basic question?
Old 10-07-23, 03:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Glue on patches will last forever if done properly...I haven't tried self-adhesive patches so I don't know how good they are.
Old 10-07-23, 04:54 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Glue on patches will last forever if done properly...I haven't tried self-adhesive patches so I don't know how good they are.
​​​​​​​ I agree the glue on patches properly put on a quality tube will hold. I tried the self adhesive ones a decade ago and was not pleased with the results.
Old 10-07-23, 04:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If I was going to use patches I'd go with glue on patches. But even with glue on patches the glue or whatever the more proper word is, will be dried up and useless by the time I ever flat. So I just change out the tube when on the road side. If I flatted a lot, I'd still change out the tube for new on the road side and fix the tube at home when I'm not in a hurry. But at one flat every two years, patches and replacing dried out glue seem to be more expense than a tube.
Old 10-07-23, 05:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If I was going to use patches I'd go with glue on patches. But even with glue on patches the glue or whatever the more proper word is, will be dried up and useless by the time I ever flat. So I just change out the tube when on the road side. If I flatted a lot, I'd still change out the tube for new on the road side and fix the tube at home when I'm not in a hurry. But at one flat every two years, patches and replacing dried out glue seem to be more expense than a tube.
That's pretty much what I did (before I went tubeless). I would swap for a fresh (or previously patched) tube and only carried adhesive patches in case I had a super unlucky ride with more than 2 flats. I would stockpile the punctured tubes until I had 6+ and then just patch them all at once, then rotate them into.

But I only came in here to see if the chemist has sung his praises for Rema patch kits yet.
Old 10-07-23, 05:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's pretty much what I did (before I went tubeless). I would swap for a fresh (or previously patched) tube and only carried adhesive patches in case I had a super unlucky ride with more than 2 flats. I would stockpile the punctured tubes until I had 6+ and then just patch them all at once, then rotate them into.

But I only came in here to see if the chemist has sung his praises for Rema patch kits yet.
Yeah, I use to keep both adhesive and glue on patches just in case that one spare tube wasn't enough. The adhesive patches seemed to go bad sooner. I always bought the cheapies so maybe a better brand would be better, but then I'm getting up to the cost of a tube again.

I've never used Rema. Though others sing it's praises. I wonder if Rema or some other has some little single use tubes. Then maybe I wouldn't be plagued with opened tubes that dry up before the second use.
Old 10-07-23, 05:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's what I do too. If I get a flat which happens very rarely I just change the tube and patch the punctured tube at home.
Old 10-07-23, 05:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The adhesive patches seemed to go bad sooner.
Someone on this wonderful forum once told me that was because of not burnishing them properly, which is entirely possible because I only used that kind of tube out on the road. I burnished the next two tubes more carefully the next time, but went tubeless less than a year later and don't know how long those patches would have lasted. Lezyne brand fwiw.
Old 10-07-23, 06:28 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Self sticky patches are great for a quick repair but for me, they don't seal that long. I've been using Rema vulcanize patches for 20 years or more with good results.

I do keep a spare tube of glue in my seat bag though, as they tend to dry out once opened and the patch won't stick without it. Hence why I carry Park self-sticky patches also. Overkill? Maybe, but I won't get stranded for a flat tire.

+1 for Urbanknight: As far as vulcanize patches, carry a small piece of emery cloth in your kit to sand the puncture area. If you don't sand the area, the patch won't stick well. It makes all the difference.
Old 10-07-23, 06:34 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Lots of variables. I can report that Park Tool Pre-Glued Super Patch Kit GP2 patches seem well-suited to Pirelli TPU tubes...
Old 10-07-23, 08:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Recently put tires on someone's bike and had to replace the stick on patch that was coming off with a glue on. Was holding air and probably would have held up inflated inside the tire but didn't like the tube being pulled out.
Old 10-08-23, 05:58 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
The OP should search the forum for my posts about rema.
Old 10-08-23, 06:53 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
My experience with glueless patches is mixed. It seems to me they have a tendency to lose adhesiveness over time, and once adhered and working, they eventually peel off. I usually have patched tube as my backup, do patching at home with Rema, IME, the best.
Old 10-08-23, 04:18 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i had a lot of luck with the self adhesive ones until one failed. then every one after that failed. back to the glue on and no more failures. but, take a bute with you when you go oout and repar ah tome.
Old 10-08-23, 07:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I've had a couple of stick-on patches fail after 5 years or more. If a glue-on patch is going to fail, it'll show up much quicker. Either will fail if you don't sand or grate the tube down before applying the patch.
Old 10-09-23, 04:44 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
The best patches were the old type which were vulcanized with a match or lighter. My grandfather used to help me patch tubes on my old Schwinn, and in the Southwest with its dirt roads and goat head stickers, this once at least a once-a-week task. The flames and black smoke were cool, the patches never leaked. But in a country with nearly 60% of the world’s lawyers, selling patches which require an open flame to vulcanize is not as easy as it once was.

Glue-on patches work well enough, self-adhering patches are hit-and-miss.
Old 10-10-23, 08:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The best patches were the old type which were vulcanized with a match or lighter. […] Glue-on patches work well enough, self-adhering patches are hit-and-miss.
Rather than "glue-on," the term should be "cold-vulcanizing." The hot-vulcanizing process you describe was used before the chemistry of cold-vulcanizing was perfected. Hot vulcanizing is still used in industrial processes (like sealing the valve stem to the tube), but there's no compelling reason to use it in preference to cold-vulcanizing in repairing a simple puncture.
Old 10-10-23, 08:43 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
On the go I'll use self-adhesive, at home I use traditional vulcanized rubber patches, as they are the more durable of the two. But the little tube of rubber cement in portable kits, once opened will dry out quickly so they are less practical, and bigger.
Old 10-10-23, 09:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
losing track of how long I've been checking on these 2 glued patches, on my MTB. I see them twice a year when I do the winter tire changeover. I'll bet they are at least 5 years old

this one might be 6 or more years old
Old 10-10-23, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
I carry a spare tube and a Park GP2 self-adhesive patch kit. I have actually gone through 3 patches on one tube on one ride - long story. I have an ever-increasing pile of tubes to patch, for which I'd use the glue on (cold vulcanized?) type of patches. But I had a bad experience with one a year or so ago, fortunately not on the road. A patched tube had held for hundreds of mile, and I was riding on the wheel-on trainer when suddenly my power and speed numbers went nuts in the middle of a race. Patch failed. Now I worry about that happening on the road, so I am hesitant to depend on patched tubes.

OTOH, I'm nearly through the 10-pack of tubes I bought last spring.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-10-23, 10:43 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Glue on only. Rema Tip Top brand only. Replace kit every couple of years if you don't get a lot of flats.

Sand well, put on glue

Be patient and let glue dry
Be patient and let glue dry
​​​​​​​Be patient and let glue dry
​​​​​​​Be patient and let glue dry

​​​​​​​put patch on... your good

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-10-23, 10:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Glue on only. Rema Tip Top brand only.
Yep, they are the best patch and the best glue. No reason to use anything else.
Old 10-10-23, 12:43 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Crwban
Which are best?
Depends. Did anyone wave at you on your last ride? Did somebody spend too much on tech you don't find necessary? Did you control the lane? Do you use a bell? Does your bike have hookless rims? Is your chain waxed?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-10-23, 01:45 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I carry a spare tube and a Park GP2 self-adhesive patch kit. I have actually gone through 3 patches on one tube on one ride - long story. I have an ever-increasing pile of tubes to patch, for which I'd use the glue on (cold vulcanized?) type of patches. But I had a bad experience with one a year or so ago, fortunately not on the road. A patched tube had held for hundreds of mile, and I was riding on the wheel-on trainer when suddenly my power and speed numbers went nuts in the middle of a race. Patch failed. Now I worry about that happening on the road, so I am hesitant to depend on patched tubes.

OTOH, I'm nearly through the 10-pack of tubes I bought last spring.....
Yikes. You are not having a quality experience IMO. What tires are you running? It's your tires, not your tubes that are at issue. Bontrager H2 (Hardcase) or Schwalbe Marathon Plus and you won't need either the self-stick OR glue on patches ever again. Since switching to reinforced tires I haven't changed a flat in 10 years of daily riding in a big city with typically dirty city center streets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.