Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High mileage riders - What do you do for calories?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 07:57 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts

I'm 49. I figure I'm eating an extra 10,000 calories a week on top of normal human eating to fuel my bike commuting. I already lost weight last year so now I am balancing my lifestyle. I feel like I get most of my nutrition covered by normal eating, so I think I'm just looking for cheap calories to burn that taste good and are not bad for me. I look at it like a substitute for buying gas for the car.

I pound free food. I finish my kids' meals. I eat pounds of raisins/peanuts/chocolate chips mixed together. I also eat a lot of frozen pizzas. I deep fry french fries for lunch and fry potatoes/onions for breakfasts. Also a lot of cheese. I've also taken up baking (usually from mix) cake, brownies, bread, and cornbread. I do eat fruits and veggies.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 01-18-24, 08:39 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I'm 49. I figure I'm eating an extra 10,000 calories a week on top of normal human eating to fuel my bike commuting. I already lost weight last year so now I am balancing my lifestyle. I feel like I get most of my nutrition covered by normal eating, so I think I'm just looking for cheap calories to burn that taste good and are not bad for me. I look at it like a substitute for buying gas for the car.

I pound free food. I finish my kids' meals. I eat pounds of raisins/peanuts/chocolate chips mixed together. I also eat a lot of frozen pizzas. I deep fry french fries for lunch and fry potatoes/onions for breakfasts. Also a lot of cheese. I've also taken up baking (usually from mix) cake, brownies, bread, and cornbread. I do eat fruits and veggies.

Any thoughts or advice?
If you are looking for riding food, fig bars are a popular choice. If you are just talking general diet, then the standard advice that has been around for decades: plenty of colors on your plate, nuts and seeds, moderation on red meat and dairy. Regards your calorie estimate, that suggests you're riding about 250 miles per week (40 calories per mile vs. about 35 per mile for road riding). Even if you up the estimate to 50 calories per mile (really slow tires and a really heavy rider) you're still looking at 200 miles per week. Do you commute 40-50 miles round trip per day? I ask because there is a tendency to really overestimate calorie expenditure.
Old 01-18-24, 09:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
probably more protein as you age.

oh wait, only 49. reduce your mileage for longevity.

(edit: thought I was in the 50+ Forum)

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-18-24 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 09:11 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
If you are looking for riding food, fig bars are a popular choice. If you are just talking general diet, then the standard advice that has been around for decades: plenty of colors on your plate, nuts and seeds, moderation on red meat and dairy. Regards your calorie estimate, that suggests you're riding about 250 miles per week (40 calories per mile vs. about 35 per mile for road riding). Even if you up the estimate to 50 calories per mile (really slow tires and a really heavy rider) you're still looking at 200 miles per week. Do you commute 40-50 miles round trip per day? I ask because there is a tendency to really overestimate calorie expenditure.
I'm 6'3" and about 195lbs. I do 34 miles/day round trip.

Interesting that you compare calories/mile - we are in the same ballpark, but as you say, I am over your estimate. My calories/miles is probably higher than most. My bike is a rescued 1990's Diamondback mountain bike with DIY maintenance and value-grade components. I also do a lot of stop and go with traffic and stop signs and lights and such, which makes some of my miles harder fought than just cruising down the road.

I used to eat tons of Fig Newtons as a kid, but I haven't had one in a couple of years.

EDIT: I just checked my trip both ways on a GPS cell phone app and the mileage worked out to slightly more - a hair over 19 miles each direction.

Last edited by ScottCommutes; 02-01-24 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Update accurate mileage
Old 01-18-24, 09:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Make your own calorie dense GORP (trail mix).

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 01-20-24 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-19-24, 01:03 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Back when I commuted 31 miles daily, I chugged meal replacement protein powder to avoid becoming skeletor.

Last edited by Yan; 01-19-24 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-19-24, 04:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
If you are looking for riding food, fig bars are a popular choice.
When touring, I often pack fig bars before I head into a more remote location and have them for breakfast and a mid-ride snack. Light and easy to pack.
Old 01-19-24, 05:36 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Thoughts and advice: Eat and drink whatever you want. I don't care. Do not knock on my door for free food.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-19-24, 09:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
For the first six weeks of my TransAm tour, I avoided desserts and tried to pass on french fries. I pulled off a lot of weight (and probably made my traveling companion miserable having to put up with her grumpy Dad!). TBH, I needed to lose weight. Then I relaxed a bit, started having an ice cream, or a piece of pie or cake most nights, and generally became more pleasant to live with.

As KerryIrons noted, most people overestimate their caloric expenditures. O.P., you don't tell us how much or how fast you're losing weight. My advice would be to take things very slow. Don't look at daily or weekly weight loss -- track it perhaps monthly. Note what you're eating, and how much. At 6'3" and 190#, you're borderline overweight by BMI (don't start, please!). If you don't stabilize before you hit 170# or so, reevaluate then. And keep in mind that it's a whole lot harder to take extra weight off than it is to put it on in the first place!
Old 01-19-24, 09:29 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When touring, I often pack fig bars before I head into a more remote location and have them for breakfast and a mid-ride snack. Light and easy to pack.
What fig bars do you recommend?
Old 01-19-24, 09:47 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Costco

Although their big box has only two flavors in it.

Barry
Old 01-19-24, 09:49 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Little Debbie makes ones that are about “4 long, two to a pack. Taken out of the case, a pack fits nicely in a jersey pocket. I’m also a sucker for Strawberry Newtons, when I can find them.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-19-24, 09:58 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
I don't eat anything different, I just eat more of the same stuff I normally eat. I cook for 4 (it's just the wife and I) and there is usually no leftovers, and she eats like a bird. Mid season when I'm doing one or two long rides a week, I'm pretty much shoving food down my face non stop. I don't count calories, but it's north of 4000 a day I'm sure.
Old 01-19-24, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Being on the edge of your 50's. You'll see a lot of things you eat now start to turn on you by the time you make it to your 60's. For some the transition happens sooner. For others later. Just be aware of what your body is telling you. For the longest time I thought my indigestion and reflux was a heart condition. I didn't even know I had the reflux. But once it was found and treated I no longer had the imagined heart issues.

As for what you eat while riding? Whatever you want that provides energy and you enjoy eating or drinking during the ride. But don't think that because it's good for you while on the bike that you should base all your diet on that.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-19-24, 10:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Thoughts and advice: Eat and drink whatever you want. I don't care. Do not knock on my door for free food.
Can we ring the bell?

Seriously...It has been my experience that a good number of cyclists overeat. A hoagie or half a pizza in the middle of a 40-mile, moderately paced, club ride? Really? Yet I have seen it plenty of times.

I actually managed to expand my guy while riding across the country fully loaded way back in '99, when I was a healthy age 34. We rode west to east. Once we got out of the mountains, I kept eating like I was riding in the mountains. That, combined with a lot of unhealthy option and large portion sizes during second breakfasts in the Midwest. any my jerseys became tight around the middle.

I stopped doing loaded touring in 2000 but picked it up again in 2009. I again realized at some point that was eating too much. Really focused on cutting down on consumption. on the road, but still consuming a good, balanced meal in camp.

Back in 2019, I did this day on a fully loaded bike on maybe 6 fig bars and coffee for breakfast and two Cliff Bars, an apple and lots of water on the road. Was I really hungry at the end? Sure. But I don't feel my performance suffered during the ride.

YAAK-REXFORD · Ride with GPS

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-20-24 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 11:12 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Do some research and learn the health impact of all that processed food over time. Read the ingredients list. I recommend whole foods as minimally processed as possible.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 01-19-24, 12:26 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Define "high mileage"?

I'm doing about 35 per day - only eat twice a day, whole foods and really don't fuel my rides.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 01-19-24, 07:43 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I remember Lon Haldeman in the Race Across America, he ate McDonald’s. Burgers, fries, and cola, the food of champions.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 01-19-24, 08:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
two flavors in it.
"Nasty" and "Laxative".
Old 01-19-24, 08:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I remember Lon Haldeman in the Race Across America, he ate McDonald’s. Burgers, fries, and cola, the food of champions.
Bet you never watched or know about the documentary, Supersize Me.

In a nutshell, Super Size Me" highlights the negative health effects of consuming a diet solely consisting of McDonald's food. During the 30-day experiment, Spurlock's weight balloons, his energy level plummets, and he experiences various unexpected and alarming side effects

He intended to go beyond 30 days but his physician warned him off it since he was deteriorating so quickly. Champions indeed.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-20-24, 06:39 AM
ScottCommutes

My apologies. I just noticed that there is a nutrition forum that would have been a better spot for this discussion.
Old 01-20-24, 08:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Being on the edge of your 50's. You'll see a lot of things you eat now start to turn on you by the time you make it to your 60's.
That happened to me. Substituted Yerba Mate for coffee, and stay away from acidy foods. I'm always discovering another food I need to be careful with due to acid reflux. I try not to eat two hours before bed.

I used to eat lots of peanut butter, peanuts and energy bars with peanuts, but at 62 peanut butter gives me heartburn and for the last two years, digestive issues. Almonds, walnuts and cashews work better now. I'll still get energy bars for longer rides, but not the peanut ones.

In my 20s when I swam every morning before work I'd eat loaded pizzas, but now, the onions and tomato sauce would kill me.

In my late 40s and 50s I ate lots of tinned tuna...it's cheap and filling...but now that causes heart burn as well.

Lucky for me my daily commute went from 9 miles each way to 6 so my caloric needs are less. I'm ten pound lighter than before the change to a shorter commute.
Old 01-20-24, 09:41 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Bet you never watched or know about the documentary, Supersize Me.

In a nutshell, Super Size Me" highlights the negative health effects of consuming a diet solely consisting of McDonald's food. During the 30-day experiment, Spurlock's weight balloons, his energy level plummets, and he experiences various unexpected and alarming side effects

He intended to go beyond 30 days but his physician warned him off it since he was deteriorating so quickly. Champions indeed.
henry rono was about the greatest runner of his time and he apparently lived on big macs and coke and was reputed to have drank a 5th of rum before some big races. There is also a guy Don Gorske who has eaten a big mac every single day for over 50 years. Probably all about genetics.
Old 01-20-24, 10:32 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
If anyone needs some calories I have quite a few stored. Can probably be made available in pound quantities.
Old 01-20-24, 11:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
henry rono was about the greatest runner of his time and he apparently lived on big macs and coke and was reputed to have drank a 5th of rum before some big races. There is also a guy Don Gorske who has eaten a big mac every single day for over 50 years. Probably all about genetics.
You would need very good luck with your genetics on that kind of diet long term!

For the rest of us there are much healthier options that don’t require super-human genetics to remain healthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.