Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

How much for a Miyata 914?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 11:21 AM
chi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much for a Miyata 914?

How much should I offer a guy for a 1990 Miyata 914, with Shimano RX100 groupset, sans wheels? Heres the bike from the catalog: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwl...0-h/img230.jpg

The bike is in fairly good shape, and probably just needs some new bar tape, and I already have an extra set of wheels.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-09, 11:52 AM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I cannot believe that the Miyata catalog used the "word" "groupo" instead of "group" or "gruppo" in the description of this bike...

You might actually want to post this question in the Appraisals subforum here (I am sure that it will get moved there eventually), but pictures of the actual bike will help in valuating the particular bike.
Old 12-11-09, 12:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
No wheels, fairly good shape?
Hmm, that can cover a wide range.

Ball park figure to get it riding, on the safe side:
Frame cleanup: $5
Cables/housing: $15
Bar wrap: $10
Wheels/tubes/tires: $100
Lube/grease/etc: $3

And we don't know about freewheel/chain rings/chain....

That's what, $133 on top of the purchase price?

OK, figure $300-$350 if all that was done, and it was clean.
Subtract your $133, figure $167-$217.

Great bike, but these things add up, and it's becoming an STI world in the used bike market, as far as effect on pricing of DT shifted bikes.

Definitely, a frame to have and do something with if the money's right. Should have excellent paint quality.
Good stuff, that Miyata.

....and this should be in the Appraisal / Inquiry thread....
Old 12-11-09, 12:28 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Wheels/tubes/tires: $100.
I think that's too low. I'd say $30-50 per tire for a good tire and about $10 for 2 tubes (plus shipping when applicable) then add the wheelset
Old 12-11-09, 12:29 PM
chi42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a'ight. thanks guys.

yeah, i didn't see the appraisal thread.
Old 12-11-09, 01:27 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I sold my Miyata 916 for $450, but that had wheels and a Shimano 600 tri-color group. it was also in PERFECT condition and needed NO work what so ever. It had newish tires and newish drive train. I think given that it's the off season, given what it's missing and given the rx100 group...the MOST I would go is $125.
Old 12-11-09, 02:35 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I sold my Miyata 916 for $450, but that had wheels and a Shimano 600 tri-color group. it was also in PERFECT condition and needed NO work what so ever. It had newish tires and newish drive train. I think given that it's the off season, given what it's missing and given the rx100 group...the MOST I would go is $125.
I'm starting to think that the ~$400 price point is about right for nice vintage bikes that are in perfect working order. A friend of mine got a really nice Miyata on the cheap, but it turned into a money pit (I have no parts bin other than a few odds / ends so I rely on the local bike co-op). He got the bike for $25, but by the time we were done with it there was probably $200 more in the bike. I was happy with the project, but saw quickly that bike-flipping is not as profitable as it seems.
Old 12-11-09, 03:10 PM
Bam42685

Bikes: 81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chi42
How much should I offer a guy for a 1990 Miyata 914, with Shimano RX100 groupset, sans wheels? Heres the bike from the catalog: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwl...0-h/img230.jpg

The bike is in fairly good shape, and probably just needs some new bar tape, and I already have an extra set of wheels.

Thanks guys.
Does the seller list a price or his (s)he just accepting offers? For a rider I'd probably pay up to $150 (I'm a little on the cheap/patient side) and less for a flipper. Speaking of flipping:

Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw
He got the bike for $25, but by the time we were done with it there was probably $200 more in the bike. I was happy with the project, but saw quickly that bike-flipping is not as profitable as it seems.
The more you do it the better you get. The parts bins build themselves after a while. Need an RD and the best deal include FD... parts bin. Need a set of wheels and it's cheaper to buy a whole bike... parts bin. Next time you need some shifters you'll have them laying around.
Old 12-11-09, 03:13 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon Southpaw
I'm starting to think that the ~$400 price point is about right for nice vintage bikes that are in perfect working order. A friend of mine got a really nice Miyata on the cheap, but it turned into a money pit (I have no parts bin other than a few odds / ends so I rely on the local bike co-op). He got the bike for $25, but by the time we were done with it there was probably $200 more in the bike. I was happy with the project, but saw quickly that bike-flipping is not as profitable as it seems.
Vintage bikes ready to go will rarely sell for that much around here. It would have to be something really special. The nice mid range or higher vintage bikes go from about $200 to $300 max, touring bikes for a little more. Anything $300 or higher better have brifters, or be a high end Italian bike (or something similar).

Manage your spending carefully. There is no reason to put $200 into a bike, particularly a flip. My average parts spending per bike is $20, $65 is my highest, and that was for a bike that was missing some key parts like shifters, drop bars, stem, brake levers, etc. It was a vintage touring bike someone turned into a hybrid, and they didn't do a very good job of it.
Old 12-11-09, 05:12 PM
chi42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy has had his bike chained up outside a building for a while, and both the wheels were stolen. I was able to contact him and he said he was considering selling it.

When I say "good" condition, I mean that there are a few scratches but they don't detract too much from the bike's appearance, and all the components appear to be functioning and still have some life in them. The bike was chained underneath an overhang, so it didn't have to suffer through any rain lately. Mostly, its just really dusty.

I already have some wheels, so I *think* that all I would need would be tires, tubes, and bar tape.

I offered $100, which I guess is probably on the low side, and I'm willing to go a little higher if he bargains for it. But hey, I'm a college student and I'm not looking to spend too much on this thing. Truthfully, I don't this guy quite realizes what he has.
Old 12-11-09, 05:22 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by wrk101
. My average parts spending per bike is $20, $65 is my highest, and that was for a bike that was missing some key parts like shifters, drop bars, stem, brake levers, etc.
Darn, I need your sources cheapest tires are around $7 each at Niagara on sale, cheapest tubes around $3.50 each (that already is $21 or $29 if you factor in shipping). Cheapest cable and housing set is $4.50+tax for a Bell brake and shift cable set from K-mart, so the whole thing ends up around $35 minimum...
Old 12-11-09, 05:57 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I think 100 is a little low, but not that bad an offer for an incomplete rx100 group on a bike stored outdoors and missing wheels. Really, the only thing of much value here is the frame.
Old 12-11-09, 06:15 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Without wheels? $200.

You can find wheelsets with tires and a cassette for $100-150
Old 12-11-09, 06:37 PM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lean towards Robbie on this one. I can see what happened with KonAaron's bike and what all others have said too, by an' large.
The 914 was very, very good bike as equipt and I'l go so as to say; well worthy of DuraAce.
Your is a particulary excellant year in terms of any bike, not just the 9 series. Worthy of better than RX100 as most bikes equipt with such weren't as good, not nearly IMO.
Miyata down graded the bike as they had themselves been downgraded in the market by then.
Te point is that Miyatas, many other good bikes too in the late '80s, 90's don't get what they're worth which is twice the price of earlier '80s. The index shifting , the color & size. In my eyes in worth 4. I would be surprised if it got 280 to 3 once complete.

You have the wheels.... I would go 200. Not many bikes are as good at any price within reason.
914s had special reinf. in the frames beyond the trpl... etc... all ad. stuff. The later 9s were special.
You won't read it though. They were PRO level actually, all this should you choose to keep & ride.
Old 12-11-09, 07:15 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I totally agree with old and new about the Miyata's ride quality...my 916 was excellent. Really really stiff for steel. That was a great bike, and I miss her, but I just wasn't riding it at all when I got some other cool stuff. It deserved to be ridden and it ended up funding other stuff. I think it was also important for my fiancee to see I'm capable of getting rid of stuff.

The reason I'd offer lower than what some others have said is because it was stored outdoors and because rx100 really is not what I'd keep on there. 600 tricolor isn't that expensive, but I'd consider that part of the cost of the bike, and rx100 parts aren't going to sell for much to compensate that cost. In general, if the bike can't be ridden...it should go cheap. I think $100 is a decent offer on that piece.
Old 12-11-09, 10:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
Darn, I need your sources cheapest tires are around $7 each at Niagara on sale, cheapest tubes around $3.50 each (that already is $21 or $29 if you factor in shipping). Cheapest cable and housing set is $4.50+tax for a Bell brake and shift cable set from K-mart, so the whole thing ends up around $35 minimum...
Tubes from Pricepoint.com: $2 each. And about a month ago, they had a free shipping sale, so I backed the truck up on that one. I have been using their tubes for over two years, they are working fine.

Galvanized cables from Niagara: 71 cents each. Stainless cables: $1.60 each. Lined housing $6 for 50 feet (it was on sale, backed the truck up on that one too). Niagara also sells lined housing in colors for $11 for 50 feet. I will probably order a couple of colors next time I order from them. A complete set of galvanized cables and lined housings cost me less than the Walmart/KMart stuff. Galvanized cables go on lower end to mid grade bikes, stainless cables go on the better bikes. I use the "what was on the bike originally" test for making close judgment calls. If the bike has rusty cables on it, then it originally (or at some point in its life), had galvanized cables. A bike of the caliber of a 914 gets stainless cables, and I will use them on the 712 I have. If the bike has a high ten steel frame, then it is getting galvanized cables.

Performance bike: Forte GT tires on sale: $7.99 less 25% off, less an additional 10% for special code (Stagecoach Century riders) = $5.40 each. Same pricing for Forte MTB tires. Forte Metro City tires: similar deal, 65 cents a tire higher. Shipping was actually pretty reasonable, less than 50 cents a tire on my last order (yesterday).

I don't replace tires on every bike, and sometimes use donor tires. Ditto tubes, if they are good, no reason to replace them. My last four flips averaged $15 in parts (I am doing better).

Last edited by wrk101; 12-11-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 10:45 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by wrk101
Performance bike: Forte GT tires on sale: $7.99 less 25% off, less an additional 10% for special code (Stagecoach Century riders) = $5.40 each.
I was there an hour ago and almost picked a couple of those in 27x1 1/4, but then the 6% sales tax and $7.99 shipping hit me
Old 12-12-09, 05:56 PM
spg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just sold a 1984, 9-12, it was in great condition , New tires , tubes ,all shimano 600 , for$320
Old 12-12-09, 08:13 PM
Bam42685

Bikes: 81 or 82 Mayata 912, Mystery Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was neglected outside and the wheels were stolen it doesn't seem like this guy knows or cares what he has. I'd start real low and act like I was doing him a favor getting rid of the old (not "vintage") bike. Actually, the way it's been treated it probably wouldn't have to be an act.