Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket query

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket query

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-10, 04:24 PM
ls0725

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom Bracket query

I changed my bottom bracket to a brand new Shimano BB-5500 some 3 weeks ago and all was good after 300 miles in 2 weeks, yesterday there was a squeaking sound on the non-drive side (left) only on the down stroke when pedalling..squeak..squeak...it goes.

I know its not coming from the BB interface with the crankarm and suspect might be over or lack of torque when I tightened the BB end cup. Question - should I try to tighten or loosen the end cup to eliminate the squeak? Do BB cups loosen or tighten after some usage when new?

Lastly, could it be the bearings? It looks sealed type. It is a brand new BB w/ only 300 miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-14-10, 04:43 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
maybe the grease you used on the threads washed out?
Old 03-14-10, 06:17 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you've narrowed it down. If you're absolutely certain it's not the crank interface, probably a loose cup. I'd make sure the crank isn't loose first.

Do BB cups loosen or tighten after some usage when new?
They can, especially if they're not torqued to spec to begin with. Happened to me.
Old 03-14-10, 07:05 PM
TLCFORBIKES

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your frame probably has a English threaded BB shell. If this is the case then both cups are tightened by turning counter clockwise and the cups on both sides loosen by turning clockwise. When you are pedaling down the road -- you are turning your cranks in a clockwise rotation. If your BB cups are not properly torqued then they will loosen up. When they get loose you normally hear a creaking noise on the down stroke on the BB cup that is loose. The more loose the cup -- the more noise even without hard efforts. All the BB cups need to be checked on a annual basis to insure good performance.`The noise could also be from lack of grease on the spindle/NDS arm contact area or loose screws on the NDS arm. Check and make sure you have grease on the pedal threads. Metal on metal without lube can also make a noise like a loose BB cup.
Old 03-14-10, 07:25 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES
Your frame probably has a English threaded BB shell. If this is the case then both cups are tightened by turning counter clockwise and the cups on both sides loosen by turning clockwise. When you are pedaling down the road -- you are turning your cranks in a clockwise rotation. If your BB cups are not properly torqued then they will loosen up. When they get loose you normally hear a creaking noise on the down stroke on the BB cup that is loose. The more loose the cup -- the more noise even without hard efforts. All the BB cups need to be checked on a annual basis to insure good performance.`The noise could also be from lack of grease on the spindle/NDS arm contact area or loose screws on the NDS arm. Check and make sure you have grease on the pedal threads. Metal on metal without lube can also make a noise like a loose BB cup.
Huh? English BB is left threaded drive side, right threaded non drive side. This tends to prevent loosening of the cups, not cause it.
Old 03-14-10, 07:54 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725
I changed my bottom bracket to a brand new Shimano BB-5500 some 3 weeks ago and all was good after 300 miles in 2 weeks, yesterday there was a squeaking sound on the non-drive side (left) only on the down stroke when pedalling..squeak..squeak...it goes.
What kind of frame material? Did you grease all of the threads (frame, crank/BB, pedals) before assembly?

FWIW: I switched the BB on my Ultegra triple crank last summer. It was quiet for a week, squeaked for a week, then it's been quiet ever since. Weird.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-14-10, 08:24 PM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all response and I may have to remove the BB again and regrease as first move. Tighten. Then regrease the spindle/crank interface. Finally, grease pedal grooves. It's quite easy since the cranks have self-extractor bolts. FC-6500 Ultegra.

And to tighten cups for BOTH sides, my wrench handle should go in the direction of the rear wheel right?
Old 03-14-10, 08:29 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Huh? English BB is left threaded drive side, right threaded non drive side. This tends to prevent loosening of the cups, not cause it.
+1 What he said.
Old 03-14-10, 08:51 PM
TLCFORBIKES

Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do stand corrected about the threads. I should have said that that both cup tighten in the same direction (attach your BB tool and torque wrench --point it towards the rear and press down). To loosen the cups -- both cups come off in the same direction ( attach proper BB tool and a wrench/cheaterbar or whatever and point it towards the front and press down). Since the threads are opposite threaded and are on opposite sides -- each cup goes on in the same direction and both sides come off in the same direction. But the part about your spinning the crank will eventually loosen your BB still stands. The drive side cup loosens to the right and the non-drive side loosens to the left which means both sides loosen in the direction that the crank is rotating.
Old 03-14-10, 08:58 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But the part about your spinning the crank will eventually loosen your BB still stands. The drive side cup loosens to the right and the non-drive side loosens to the left which means both sides loosen in the direction that the crank is rotating.
Isn't the primary reason for English threading to ensure that precession keeps the bb from self-loosening? If it wasn't, then what's the point of reverse threading on the DS in the first place?
Old 03-14-10, 09:07 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
I do stand corrected about the threads. I should have said that that both cup tighten in the same direction (attach your BB tool and torque wrench --point it towards the rear and press down). To loosen the cups -- both cups come off in the same direction ( attach proper BB tool and a wrench/cheaterbar or whatever and point it towards the front and press down). Since the threads are opposite threaded and are on opposite sides -- each cup goes on in the same direction and both sides come off in the same direction. But the part about your spinning the crank will eventually loosen your BB still stands. The drive side cup loosens to the right and the non-drive side loosens to the left which means both sides loosen in the direction that the crank is rotating.
This is intuitive but incorrect. Thanks to a phenomenon called precession, wherein rotational forces are reversed due to the bearings within the assembly, loosening is prevented.
It is the reason for using left threads on the drive side in the first place.
Italian and French BBs which use right threads on both sides are prone to loosening cups on the drive side.
Old 03-14-10, 09:14 PM
TLCFORBIKES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guy's for the technical schooling.
Old 03-14-10, 09:14 PM
Mr. Fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
This is intuitive but incorrect. Thanks to a phenomenon called precession, wherein rotational forces are reversed due to the bearings within the assembly, loosening is prevented.
It is the reason for using left threads on the drive side in the first place.
Italian and French BBs which use right threads on both sides are prone to loosening cups on the drive side.
+1.

Also, if you haven't eliminate it already, I've found that cleats can occasionally squeak.
Old 03-14-10, 10:57 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725
Thank you for all response and I may have to remove the BB again and regrease as first move. Tighten. Then regrease the spindle/crank interface. Finally, grease pedal grooves. It's quite easy since the cranks have self-extractor bolts. FC-6500 Ultegra.

And to tighten cups for BOTH sides, my wrench handle should go in the direction of the rear wheel right?
What are you using to tighten the cranks? Those 8mm "self extractor bolts" are tough to tighten properly. Park Tool says 305-391 inch-pounds, or about 25 to 30 foot-pounds, which is a hefty heave on the average 8mm hex wrench.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-15-10, 07:32 AM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
+1.

Also, if you haven't eliminate it already, I've found that cleats can occasionally squeak.
I use a shimano M520L 2-bolt pedal which really for MTB but I like them for road. Will check the contact with the cleats on the shoes too. thanks
Old 03-15-10, 07:41 AM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"What are you using to tighten the cranks? Those 8mm "self extractor bolts" are tough to tighten properly. Park Tool says 305-391 inch-pounds, or about 25 to 30 foot-pounds, which is a hefty heave on the average 8mm hex wrench."

That much? I am only using a hex wrench with a 6" arm and tighten as best I could. Now I am sure I am not getting enough torque on it, will put a longer extension on the arm to give me more mechanicaladvantage. Will let you know of the culprit as soon as I have isolated it.