Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

making a presta fit a schrader valve opening and other options for my situation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 07:06 PM
TreyWestgate

Bikes: motobecane outcast 29er singlespeed and nashbar singlespeed road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a wonderful time for a flat!. just got some tuneups and was well on my way then looking down in the middle of my ride the front is flat.

there is not a good bike store near me but there is walmart and all I need is a tube that will do 700x28.

They have those but they are prestas where mine are schraders.

I've heard that you can get rubber spacers very cheap, but didn't see those at walmart.

I've heard someone say that you can use the collar that comes on the presta and put it on the inside of the rim hole and then put another one on the outside so that it holds the valve in place and prevents the tube from herniation.

but can it be done with the presta collars alone?.

Also don't know if I should trust a walmart tube anyway. They cost a little less than the tubes at the bike stores, but as i said am not near one.

And the one bike store nearby is run by who appears to be a crotchety old man. that's what some have said.

It's a small hole and also want to know if it's possible to patch it by putting tape on it or glue?.

Kind of afraid that the tape or glue might rip the rest of tube.

walmart also had a sealant which is pumped into the tire so that it fills the hole up as it tries to escape.

Wouldn't do walmart for any of my bike stuff if I could help it, but it is the closest place and for some bike parts you're fairly safe.

but why not a flat!?. perfect riding day and had just gotten a new chain and hubs adjusted and so nothing could go wrong right?. But something can always find a way.

Old 01-19-17, 07:25 PM
stasher1

Bikes: 97 Gary Fisher Wahoo SS conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you were at Walmart, why didn't you just buy a patch kit and fix the tube you already have?
Old 01-19-17, 07:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Bicycle shops used to carry little packets of adapters.
Old 01-19-17, 07:46 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have used presta tubes in schrader rims with no problems. I made sure the valve was centered in the hole and used no lock nut at all.
Old 01-19-17, 07:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 1,858 Posts
Wal-Mart is a great place to get patch-kits and tubes ... a Lot less mark-up than bike shops, and very convenient. I carry a little patch kit and some glueless patches with me all the time.

I bought some valve stem adapter on EBay for next to nothing ... and I have also heard that you can use the knurled ring that comes with Presta-valve tires to tighten the stem into place so it will not cut on the rim hole, but I am not sure ... once I bought the adapters i didn't see a need for testing the other method.

Also, make sure your pump accepts Presta ... you can also buy adapters for that really cheap. Wal-mart sometimes carries them, EBay always does.
Old 01-19-17, 07:50 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Don't be a Walmart snob. If the store has what you need, get it. And Walmart carries a lot practical bike accessories.
Old 01-19-17, 07:51 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I use rim grommets or valve savers with my presta tubes in schrader wheels. I do this since I already had presta tubes from other bikes. I have one of each, but prefer the aluminum because they will probably last longer.

I have heard you can use the presta nuts on the inside which I would do in a pinch, but have not had a need.

Your best bet is to call up the crotchety bike shop to see if they have them or order them online. Make sure they know you are talking about the grommet and not the presta to schrader adapter.
Old 01-19-17, 08:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

for the pump: presta valve adapter | eBay

and this is interesting: How to make a presta valve adapter in a few seconds

and for the valve stem: https://www.bikeparts.com/BPC115237/...ader-rims-pair
Old 01-19-17, 10:55 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
Don't be a Walmart snob. If the store has what you need, get it. And Walmart carries a lot practical bike accessories.

You forgot to mention it's all cheap Bell branded garbage. It's a good place for patch kits and lube though.

OP - there are adapters that thread on to the end of presta valves which enable you to use a Schrader pump. A little bit cumbersome but inexpensive and easy to figure out.
Old 01-19-17, 11:35 PM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
Rim grommets or valve savers both work.
I've cut the end off of a plastic schrader valve stem cap and used what is left as a bushing. Its just the right size.
Old 01-20-17, 01:47 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Some quality brand Presta inner tubes come with valve nuts that are machined on one or both ends to adapt Presta to Schrader. Continental and Schwalbe are two brands I know of with the adapter nuts standard. One of the advantages is the adapter can be left on the spare tube lowering the chance or losing or forgetting to bring it. Another is it is easily transferred to a cheap Walmart tube assuming it has a threaded valve stem.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 01-20-17, 02:59 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If you're using a double-wall rim - easy enough to spot if you peek down the valve hole with valve removed - anything you put in/against the hubside face of the rim (like the machined valve nuts) will do (near) nothing for tube survival.
If tube herniating around the valve stem is your concern, anything you add to the valve/rim has to be on the tire side face of the rim to do anything good.

Personally I've never had any troubles using Prestas directly in Schräder-drilled rims with MTB/Hybrid type tires and pressures.
Not even the 1" slicks (5-6 Bar) have caused any issues.

Only thing "special" in my setups is that I use rim tape, and I take a bit of care not to make the hole for the valve stem any bigger than required.

For "road" type pressures, one might need something sturdier, but it still has to go on the tire side face of the rim to be functional.
Old 01-20-17, 07:37 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
Why don't you order the correct tubes online? Amazon, for instance, has many to chose from. Stock up and be ready the next time you have a flat.
Old 01-20-17, 09:02 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I have used presta tubes in schrader rims with no problems. I made sure the valve was centered in the hole and used no lock nut at all.
Originally Posted by dabac
Personally I've never had any troubles using Prestas directly in Schräder-drilled rims with MTB/Hybrid type tires and pressures.
Not even the 1" slicks (5-6 Bar) have caused any issues.
Same here.
Old 01-20-17, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 4,255 Times in 2,386 Posts
Originally Posted by TreyWestgate
What a wonderful time for a flat!. just got some tuneups and was well on my way then looking down in the middle of my ride the front is flat.
Two solutions not presented above: One is to get a stepped presta nut like this one. Sometimes they even come on presta tubes. The second one is to look at 27 inch tubes at Helmart. Those come with schrader valves and will work just as well in a 700c tire.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-20-17, 09:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I just stick the presta valve through the shrader hole and use it that way. Does your pump handle presta?
Old 01-20-17, 09:17 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

...It's a small hole and also want to know if it's possible to patch it by putting tape on it or glue?

...there is not a good bike store near me but there is walmart and all I need is a tube that will do 700x28. They have those but they are prestas where mine are schraders.
Why not pick up a patch kit at Walmart and patch the hole? A properly patched tube is just as good as a new one.

perfect riding day and had just gotten a new chain and hubs adjusted and so nothing could go wrong right?. But something can always find a way.
Flats happen. You'll get another. Be prepared for the next one. Keep a spare tube and/or a patch kit on hand.
Old 01-20-17, 09:39 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Bicycle shops used to carry little packets of adapters.
If you get a metal one, make sure it actually fits your rim though. I bought one, and carried a spare presta, because one of my bikes has a Schrader back and Presta front. Schrader blew out one day, I felt smug for having it, only to find out that it didn't fit in the hole on the side of the road. I now carry little leftover rubber grommets that come with electrical connectors I use at work, that fit nearly perfectly.

Originally Posted by jfowler85
You forgot to mention it's all cheap Bell branded garbage. It's a good place for patch kits and lube though.
Meh, I've got a "crap" Bell computer, works just fine. I've got a Bell chain, works just fine. It may not be top notch stuff, but the price more than reflects that.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The second one is to look at 27 inch tubes at Helmart. Those come with schrader valves and will work just as well in a 700c tire.
This. 700x28-32/35 and 27x1-1/4 tubes are generally the same thing, most of the boxes I have on the shelf list both.
Old 01-20-17, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Trekking Bike came with rims drilled bigger , and included a reducing grommet, and has P/V tubes.. so any (mtb ) tube will do.

Originally Posted by katsup
I use rim grommets or valve savers with my presta tubes in schrader wheels. I do this since I already had presta tubes from other bikes. I have one of each, but prefer the aluminum because they will probably last longer.

I have heard you can use the presta nuts on the inside which I would do in a pinch, but have not had a need.

Your best bet is to call up the crotchety bike shop to see if they have them or order them online. Make sure they know you are talking about the grommet and not the presta to schrader adapter.

And Schwalbe P/V tubes include a ring nut that is stepped and wider, so it centers the stem on the larger S/V hole.

Adaptive people have used common rubber grommets as well..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-20-17, 10:15 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I just stick the presta valve through the shrader hole and use it that way.
This.

It'll work fine.

I have a bunch of the adapters, but I never bother anymore. My friends and I run numerous bikes with presta tubes on Schrader-drilled rims, and it's all good. We never bother with adapters.
Old 01-20-17, 10:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
if you didn't have a tube, did you even have a pump? if you had a pump, why didn't you have a tube? so, did you walk home?
Old 01-20-17, 10:35 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Going on 4 years not stepping foot in a Wal-Mart. They are not a bike shop so I don't buy bike related stuff there. Just like I don't at Target or any big box store. I know nothing of the quality of their stuff because I simply don't go there. It's not about being a snob, but about being well prepared. Get extra tubes, get a patch kit, get the adapter if you need it, and be prepared.
Old 01-20-17, 11:58 AM
Lynskeyman
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you put the grommet in (to convert a schrader to presta) you have to first peel back the rim tape (which you may want to replace if it's old, if not then it's good to use) then insert the grommet then lay the tape back down over top
Old 01-20-17, 01:21 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I know nothing of the quality of their stuff because I simply don't go there. It's not about being a snob, but about being well prepared.
It can also be about not spending more than I need to spend to buy what I need ... A bike shop will mark up double what Wal-mart will for a tube. And the tube is most likely made at the same factory in wherever, and sent to multiple distributors ....

I don't buy stuff at Wal-mart simply because I can buy online for less overall effort (gas and time are not free) but I don't care how "prepared" you are .... stuff happens. I once ripped a tire so badly no boot would work .... but I am sure you carry a spare tire, right? Me, I was sure glad I could buy a cheap tire in Wal-Mart ... beat pushing my bike 20 miles.

And if I Am at Wal-mart to buy something which they sell cheaper than anyone else ... why not "be prepared" and buy as couple of the Other things (like tubes) which, once travel and time are factored out (since I am already there on other business) cost less at Wal-mart than anywhere else?

Just "being prepared," as so many wise people have advised me to do.
Old 01-20-17, 01:23 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't buy critical bike supplies from dept stores either. But a few years ago, I needed a padded seat for a hybrid for a female friend.

The bike shop had a saddle for $30. I believe it was "Velo".

Went to Target (iirc) and picked up a saddle to compare it. Sure enough, different packaging but looking at the bottom side of the saddle, Velo was molded into the shell! .............. $15 !!!!

I will buy some low end stuff there that does not matter. I bought a bike rack there for a commuter, $15 vs the $50 at local bike shops. Not as convenient without the quick release but for a difference of $30+ dollars, I can turn an allen wrench.

Tires, tubes, no thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.