Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are certain premiere bike brands simply faster?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are certain premiere bike brands simply faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 07:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Not when it comes to an actual athletic competition heavily involving equipment. It's all about making sure each competitor is on an level/even playing field and has the same chance of winning/losing. How fast/slow/strong/long/short/high, etc. is only relevant in determining the winner of that particular competition. In the case of a record for said competition, it means absolutely nothing unless there is a set of uniform standards for said competition.
Say What?

Ever hear of race on sunday sell on monday
Old 03-08-23, 07:27 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Now that I got that out of the way, if you think a pro cyclist on one of these teams has very much say over what brands they use, particularly the journeyman/domestiques, I don't know what to tell you. They might have some leeway within a particular brand's line, or gearing choices, but not much say between different brands. At that level, with all of the money being poured into equipment design, I think there's a lot more parity that not. We did have that swimsuit situation a few years ago, though. If something is shown to have a noticable advantage it will get dealt with.

Last edited by seypat; 03-08-23 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 07:37 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Say What?

Ever hear of race on sunday sell on monday
I have, that's what I was referencing somewhat in my first post. That phrase is usually associated with motorsports, not the kind of competitions we've had going nationwide(in the USA) over the past couple of weeks and continuing through March. In fact, if you look at the recent delevolpments with the NIL agreements in amateur sports, you get a glimpse of how important having the "best equipment, etc" really is. Turn on the TV today and watch one of the NCAA basketball games in progress. See how many different brands/styles of shoes a team will be wearing. It's all about the money.
Old 03-08-23, 07:51 AM
GhostRider62

If your sponsor is Pinarello and Shimano, you ride those. Period.

Tires can be faked with decals. At one time a chunk of the peloton was on Ducast tubies with other labels on them

Read how hard it was for Josh Poertner of Zipp to convince riders to use wider and lower pressure on Paris Roubaix and to use carbon rims. It took years of convincing the pros. So, they do have a say on gear. It probably took a decade for some of them to recognize aerodynamics almost always trumps lower MOI unless it is purely a hill climb TT. It was the riders who resisted.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-08-23, 08:13 AM
seypat

On the flip side, I'm sure the companies do everything they can to satisfy their stars. The low man on the team, maybe not as much. Unless it's something major, it'll get worked out. Even then, it'll get worked out one way or another. Rider has an outburst, then apologizes the next day. All is good.
Old 03-08-23, 08:18 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Colnago is not taking this lying down:

Colnago has invited former-professional Tom Boonen to Italy to join a ride and public conversation around data analysing the performance of the brand's bikes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-08-23, 08:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Not when it comes to an actual athletic competition heavily involving equipment. It's all about making sure each competitor is on an level/even playing field and has the same chance of winning/losing. How fast/slow/strong/long/short/high, etc. is only relevant in determining the winner of that particular competition. In the case of a record for said competition, it means absolutely nothing unless there is a set of uniform standards for said competition.
You mean like the UCI road bike regulations? I'd say they set a pretty strict, uniform standard. It's very much marginal gains territory for those guys setting records.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-08-23, 08:44 AM
PeteHski

Going back to the original question posed, I would put good money on it that there is more variation in tyre performance across tyre brands than there is in the frames, wheel sets etc. Being on the best tyres available would be a top priority for me.

That's not to say there may be a massive variation across tyre brands, but it stood out for me when Geraint Thomas was talking about descending wet alpine cols. He said he took note of what tyres various teams were using when deciding who's wheels to follow and avoid!

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-08-23 at 08:48 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-08-23, 08:56 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not buying it.
Me neither. It's always the rider and not the bike.
Old 03-08-23, 08:59 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Going back to the original question posed, I would put good money on it that there is more variation in tyre performance across tyre brands than there is in the frames, wheel sets etc. Being on the best tyres available would be a top priority for me.

That's not to say there may be a massive variation across tyre brands, but it stood out for me when Geraint Thomas was talking about descending wet alpine cols. He said he took note of what tyres various teams were using when deciding who's wheels to follow and avoid!
Do you know which tires?

Vittoria and Conti = good?

Schwalbe and Pirelli = bad ?

Michelin = berry, berry good?
Old 03-08-23, 09:00 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I thought red bikes were faster.
Old 03-08-23, 09:06 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by dmark
I thought red bikes were faster.
You are thinking of women's dresses
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-08-23, 09:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
If your sponsor is Pinarello and Shimano, you ride those. Period.

Tires can be faked with decals. At one time a chunk of the peloton was on Ducast tubies with other labels on them

Read how hard it was for Josh Poertner of Zipp to convince riders to use wider and lower pressure on Paris Roubaix and to use carbon rims. It took years of convincing the pros. So, they do have a say on gear. It probably took a decade for some of them to recognize aerodynamics almost always trumps lower MOI unless it is purely a hill climb TT. It was the riders who resisted.
They do have some say on equipment, but almost exclusively within the range of equipment provided by their sponsors.

I had the opportunity to tour Trek Segifredo’s European service course in 2019.. There was an array of frames and wheel sets. Different wheel/ tire combos intended for Paris Roubaix, and others intended for Flanders. ( it was Holy Week). At the time there were also bikes with disc brakes and rim brakes although Trek was pushing disc hard at the time.

the riders had a whole array of choices. However they were all Trek Bontrager choices. Nothing was in that shop that didn’t have a Trek or Bontrager logo.

occassionally Pros will use gear outside their sponsorships, but it’s typically disguised with the sponsors logos.

and some high profile rides, such as Armstrong or Lemond had the leverage to insist on equipment they wanted. But with very few exceptions Pros ride their sponsors equipment and almost always at least equipment displaying their sponsor’s brand.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-08-23, 09:20 AM
seypat

You mean like the UCI road bike regulations? I'd say they set a pretty strict, uniform standard. It's very much marginal gains territory for those guys setting records.
I was responding to your 2nd sentence. In the actual competition speed/whatever is only relevant against the rest of the participants in said competition. It could be the slowest winning speed recorded in that particular race in a decade or whatever time frame you choose. As long as you're in front you win the race. If the rest of the competitors failed to finish, you'd still win no matter the time.

Last edited by seypat; 03-08-23 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 09:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I particularly admire the sock height restrictions.
Old 03-08-23, 09:30 AM
seypat

I'd say that the evolution of training methods/everyday life living methods, nutrition, and related has had more of an effect than the evolution of equipment. If athletes are better these days, they should be. I look back at some of the general training methods used when I was involved in competitive sports in the 80s and cringe. Now a lot of those methods would be considered dangerous to one's health.

The current average "weekend warrior" in any sport has much more access to useful training info than professionals of even a decade ago. Think about how much evolving modern medicine has improved imjury recovery and turnaround time. Amazing!

Last edited by seypat; 03-08-23 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 09:31 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not buying it.

Wife said no?
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-08-23, 10:15 AM
PeteHski

I was responding to your 2nd sentence. In the actual competition speed/whatever is only relevant against the rest of the participants in said competition. It could be the slowest winning speed recorded in that particular race in a decade or whatever time frame you choose. As long as you're in front you win the race. If the rest of the competitors failed to finish, you'd still win no matter the time.
I'm not sure what point you are making here? That they should all ride an identical "control" bike?
Old 03-08-23, 10:25 AM
PeteHski

Do you know which tires?

Vittoria and Conti = good?

Schwalbe and Pirelli = bad ?

Michelin = berry, berry good?
He didn't name any other brands apart from Conti, which he trusts for grip. But he was strongly suggesting that at least one other brand was notoriously bad in the wet. In the context he was talking on his personal podcast (discussing some of his infamous crashes and how he managed to keep out of trouble in his successful TDF years) I'm pretty sure there wasn't any sponsor spin involved in those comments. He also mentioned tyre pressures at around 4.5 bar (65 psi) in another podcast. I can't remember the context of how that came up though.
Old 03-08-23, 10:33 AM
seypat

I'm not sure what point you are making here? That they should all ride an identical "control" bike?
Somewhat. More along the lines of maybe the rules should apply outside of competition as well. Maybe that a Strava segment or some other "fast" segment should not hold much value. Riding fast or running fast in an actual competition means under the rules that competition. Which could on a control bike or under other controls be limited. But, if there is no actual competion, there are no rules to comply with. Which means that you, or myself, or anyone can/could be faster out of competition on a bike/segment than in a race on that same segment simply because there are no rules. We can do anything we want to go as fast as possible. We could use nonconforming equipment, or stimulants, etc to attain that extra speed which seemed to be the point of your 2nd sentence. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited by seypat; 03-08-23 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-08-23, 10:38 AM
GhostRider62

Standardizing a competition bike would lead to mediocrity. It might work in China or might have in the old USSR.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-08-23, 10:39 AM
PeteHski

Somewhat. More along the lines of maybe the rules should apply outside of competition as well. Maybe that a Strava segment or some other "fast" segment should not hold much value. Riding fast or running fast in an actual competition means under the rules that competition. Which could on a control bike or under other controls be limited. But, if there is no actual competion, there are no rules to comply with. Which means that you, or myself, or anyone can/could be faster out of competition on a bike/segment than in a race on that same segment simply because there are no rules. We can do anything we want to go as fast possible.
Okay I think I see what you mean. My road bikes are both UCI compliant, so for me that's good enough for comparing performance with friends and during events. Occasionally I see guys riding aero bars in timed sportives that would be illegal in a road race and no doubt boost their performance, but I don't go there myself.
Old 03-08-23, 10:43 AM
seypat

Okay I think I see what you mean. My road bikes are both UCI compliant, so for me that's good enough for comparing performance with friends and during events. Occasionally I see guys riding aero bars in timed sportives that would be illegal in a road race and no doubt boost their performance, but I don't go there myself.
We are in agreement then.
Old 03-08-23, 10:52 AM
GhostRider62

A sportif isn't racing. In the US at least. It might be akin to a personal best TT. Standardization for Strava? ok. Of course, I usually look at others bikes on long events and think, why are they giving up 2 hours riding that thing. Obviously, they don't care to care. If wheels were standardized, we would all still be riding 32H 3x box rims with tubulars partially glued on.
Old 03-08-23, 11:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
People using aero bars doesn't bother me, unless it's on a group ride or a mass start event. It's a safety issue there.

I once used some clip-ons at the Solvang Century, because I wanted to check off having done a 5-hour century (which I managed, barely). It didn't feel like cheating, no more than pace lining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.