Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

lizard skin bar tape

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

lizard skin bar tape

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 01:24 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
lizard skin bar tape

I got a new bike earlier this year that came with the Lizard skin bar tape and i really like it. i installed aero bars and have finally got the length adjusted so am ready to trim the bars. but i also want to install satellite shifters for the Di2 and run the wire under the bar tape. wondering if i need to buy another tape kit or if these will take being unwrapped then re-wrapped again. i've had good luck with other tape.
Old 09-20-23, 02:36 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
try it... find out for yourself.
Old 09-20-23, 02:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6233 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 3,335 Posts
What he said before me. Try it and see what yours does. I've had some that could be used again and others that couldn't. I never really liked Lizard skins. Maybe I got the wrong version of their tapes. But then again I know others that don't like the Fizik that I like. The cheap Specialized stuff they put on my bike I have actually rewrapped several times as I've changed the STI positions around though out the 3 years I've owned it.
Old 09-20-23, 04:46 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I’ve used them a few times. They kind of hold their shape so if you can get them back in exactly the same place it’s ok but if not, the overlaps on the bends get flappy.
Old 09-20-23, 04:52 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
Your success will also depend in part on how tight the tape was wrapped originally.
Old 09-20-23, 06:56 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,235 Posts
Depends on which tape you have and how old. I've had the rubberized tape crack and chip apart.
Old 09-21-23, 06:01 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 402 Posts
I’ve successfully rewrapped lizard skins tape. It does wear quickly so if it’s starting to flake apart I’d just replace it.
Old 09-21-23, 06:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Don't get too enthralled with that bar tape. Once it starts flaking, you'll be looking for something else, and that usually only takes one season. I'll bet nobody buys Lizard Skins bar tape more than once.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-21-23, 07:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Don't get too enthralled with that bar tape. Once it starts flaking, you'll be looking for something else, and that usually only takes one season. I'll bet nobody buys Lizard Skins bar tape more than once.
I'm that guy. In my defense I may be their target market. Wrapped one bar with it right before the pandemic, then didn't ride it too much for three years (it's my rain bike, and I was lucky enough to WFH). This year I noticed -- that looks like crap! but the logo had worn off. So when I saw some Lizard Skins with nice padding (bike shop on vacation) I bought some.

Maybe I'll remember why my other bikes have different brand of tape next time I see a display.
Old 09-21-23, 07:52 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm that guy. In my defense I may be their target market. Wrapped one bar with it right before the pandemic, then didn't ride it too much for three years (it's my rain bike, and I was lucky enough to WFH). This year I noticed -- that looks like crap! but the logo had worn off. So when I saw some Lizard Skins with nice padding (bike shop on vacation) I bought some.

Maybe I'll remember why my other bikes have different brand of tape next time I see a display.
About 5 years ago I decided it was time for a refresh, and put Lizard Skins on 3 different bikes - two of mine and also my wife's. It took only one year before they were all flaking.

I bought some Rock Bros tape that turned out to be pretty nice and so far is holding up well. Mostly now I just use Cinelli cork tape. Cheap, easy to wrap, and holds up well.