Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wheelset upgrade recs for big rider

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 09:33 AM
BkSurly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a State Core Line 4130 a few months ago, which I love, but I keep breaking spokes on the stock wheelset (which I assume relates to the fact that I weigh about 250 lbs.)

Would love any recommendations/advice for sweet wheelset upgrades. Hopefully just upgrading to better wheels will do the trick, but I maybe I need special "big guy" wheels? I haven't had wheel issues with the off-road rims on my surly, which I've ridden for over a year. I ride this bike almost entirely on pavement.

Forgive me if this Q should be elsewhere, I created an account to ask this question and I'm still learning the ropes. Thanks all!
Old 07-20-21, 09:58 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Nothing wrong with posting here, since it’s a FG bike. You might also want to ask in the Clydesdales forum.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-20-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-20-21, 10:03 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Your broken spokes might result from a combination of your weight (which honestly is not unreasonably heavy) and cheap or poorly built wheels.

There are plenty of wheels available at reasonable cost that can handle 250 lbs.

Check Velomine. They have some pretty nice stuff. I'd look for anything with at least 32 spokes, preferably butted.
Old 07-20-21, 02:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The more spokes, the better. At 250#, I'd consider 32 to be the bare minimum. There's nothing wrong with 36 spoke wheels; I use them, and I weight 100# less than you. And hand-built and tensioned wheels hold up better than machine-built wheels. They might cost a little more, but so does constantly replacing broken spokes.
Old 07-20-21, 06:28 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by BkSurly
I bought a State Core Line 4130 a few months ago, which I love, but I keep breaking spokes on the stock wheelset (which I assume relates to the fact that I weigh about 250 lbs.)

Would love any recommendations/advice for sweet wheelset upgrades. Hopefully just upgrading to better wheels will do the trick, but I maybe I need special "big guy" wheels? I haven't had wheel issues with the off-road rims on my surly, which I've ridden for over a year. I ride this bike almost entirely on pavement.

Forgive me if this Q should be elsewhere, I created an account to ask this question and I'm still learning the ropes. Thanks all!
you should buy 36 spoke wheelsets.
Old 07-20-21, 06:46 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Wheel longevity has a lot to do with the quality of the parts used and even more on the quality of the assembly. It's important to maintain your wheels too; check for loose spokes weekly until you confirm none of the spokes are loosening up (which is one of the main reasons for broken spokes.)

32 spokes is fine for someone 250#'s, and 36 gives a greater margin for error. It's hard to find 36h wheels these days though.
Old 07-20-21, 07:08 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Nothing wrong with posting here, since it’s a FG bike. You might also want to ask in the Clydesdales forum.
I'd wager there are hundreds of recommendations for exactly this situation over there.
Old 07-20-21, 08:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
If you bought that new a few months ago I hope your LBS or State is doing something about the broken spokes. Even at 250 you shouldn't be breaking spokes that quick unless you're pounding through every crevice in the road.
Old 07-20-21, 09:06 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by BkSurly

didn’t know Velocity had a category for Clydesdale

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/wheels/clydesdale
Old 07-21-21, 02:16 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
32 or 36 double butted spokes. DB is stronger and lighter than straight gauge, they can bend more before snapping. They ride smoother as well.