Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

ENO freewheel - can you replace just the cog?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 04:00 AM
Jesper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course I know that it is technically possible, I guess the question is more if you can buy just the part with the cog and if so, what does it cost? I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

It seems too expensive if you have to throw the whole thing out when the teeth are worn.

By the way, does anybody have some figures for how many kilometers (or miles for those who still use this archaic measurement ) the teeth last?
Old 09-08-07, 04:24 AM
Briareos

Bikes: No bike at the moment; In process of building it.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the whole premise behind the Eno freewheels is that they will last MUCH longer than any other single-speed freewheel out there. The materials used to manufacture it and the design itself lend to it's supposedly long lifespan.

It definately costs more than any other freewheel, but it's long-lasting attribute isn't the only thing they're good for. They have more "pawls" and thus it engages much faster than other freewheels; the moment of forward pedaling with lesser freewheels takes a few inches of travel before it actually starts moving the wheel, whereas the Eno starts "pushing" much earlier, giving it a more livelier feel.

Anyway (sorry for the inane chatter), as for your question, I doubt you can buy the cog itself to replace a worn one, as I have not seen them anywhere either. White Industries website also neglects to mention anything of the sort. Given all the advantages and the long-life (haven't heard about one crapping out yet) more than make-up for the price of replacing one IMHO. You can find them for less than the MSRP on Ebay quite regularly, so replacing a cog seems sort of unnecessary anyway.

But I've only used them on a loaned bike from a local bike-shop and have no long-term personal experience. When my single-speed is finally finished I will undoubtedly get an ENO freewheel for it.

There is also a titanium version of the ENO freewheel out there at about a $50 premium over the original, and I'm sure it'd last much longer, if you're interested.
Old 09-08-07, 07:21 AM
Gordiep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 99% certain that you can replace any of the individual components in the freewheel, including the cog shell. I remember that somebody mentioned replacing the exterior 'cog' , once they'd put a lot of miles on it...SS MTB, I think.

Why don't you email WI? They probably distribute replacement parts directly. And Hiroshima runs one on his rig, you could PM him.
Old 09-08-07, 08:02 AM
NYCBM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White Industries will sell you replacement parts. I think the cog cost $20.00
Old 09-29-21, 08:24 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesper
Of course I know that it is technically possible, I guess the question is more if you can buy just the part with the cog and if so, what does it cost? I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

It seems too expensive if you have to throw the whole thing out when the teeth are worn.

By the way, does anybody have some figures for how many kilometers (or miles for those who still use this archaic measurement ) the teeth last?
Did anyone find an answer to this? I have the same issue.
Old 09-30-21, 03:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E

(707) 769-5600. "All outer gears can be changed out and replaced from 16-23 teeth."

Originally Posted by Jesper
By the way, does anybody have some figures for how many kilometers the teeth last?
Figures? No. Longevity depends on riding conditions, how often you replace your chain, and whether you have your chainline straight. But I think the 17T on my SSCX is well into its second or third year.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-30-21 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 08:01 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
contact them directly and they will sell it to you. I think it’s about $50 for the outer hub. That was the quote they gave me 6 months ago.
Old 09-30-21, 08:04 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Rolla
(707) 769-5600. "All outer gears can be changed out and replaced from 16-23 teeth."

Figures? No. Longevity depends on riding conditions, how often you replace your chain, and whether you have your chainline straight. But I think the 17T on my SSCX is well into its second or third year.
I did as you said. The gear/ bearing cost 58 dollars. Turns out you aren’t supposed to use a 1/8 chain with the 16T which is why I have bad teeth already. Lucky I mentioned it to the Sales guy ! It won’t come for 11 weeks. In the meantime can I continue as I am? My day is not complete unless I have my single speed ride. For some reason I don’t like geared bikes now.
Old 09-30-21, 08:12 PM
AJW2W11E

I did as you said. The gear/ bearing cost 58 dollars. Turns out you aren’t supposed to use a 1/8 chain with the 16T which is why I have bad teeth already. Lucky I mentioned it to the Sales guy ! It won’t come for 11 weeks. In the meantime can I continue as I am? My day is not complete unless I have my single speed ride. For some reason I don’t like geared bikes now.
Old 09-30-21, 08:20 PM
Rolla

The 3/32" chain requirement for the 16T FW is fairly well known, and they mention it on the website: "16t: blue locking ring, accommodates 3/32 chain only." The issue is that a 1/8" chain sits too low on the teeth and comes in contact with the shoulder groove of the FW. The "shark fins" on your freewheel are most likely due to excessive chain wear. Since the damage is already done, you can probably just continue to run yours if you want to, or get a cheap Shimano or ACS Claw while you wait.

Last edited by Rolla; 09-30-21 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-30-21, 09:01 PM
AJW2W11E

Originally Posted by Rolla
The 3/32" chain requirement for the 16T FW is fairly well known, and they mention it on the website: "16t: blue locking ring, accommodates 3/32 chain only." The issue is that a 1/8" chain sits too low on the teeth and comes in contact with the shoulder groove of the FW. The "shark fins" on your freewheel are most likely due to excessive chain wear. Since the damage is already done, you can probably just continue to run yours if you want to, or get a cheap Shimano or ACS Claw while you wait.
thanks Rolla, so I won't incur further damage to the freewheel other than what I have done so far?
Old 09-30-21, 09:02 PM
AJW2W11E

thanks Rolla, so I won't incur further damage to the freewheel other than what I have done so far?
I guess I ll get a ACS claw to be safe.
Old 09-30-21, 09:03 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
yup, it’s on their website but they should include that information in the box, You should bring that up to them and maybe they can give you a discount since that info was not in their box.
Old 09-30-21, 11:28 PM
Rolla

so I won't incur further damage to the freewheel other than what I have done so far?
Probably not. The teeth will continue to wear because the chain is worn, but that shouldn't cause problems in the immediate term.

The problem in running a 1/8" chain is that the wider side plates will rest on the freewheel cog's shoulders, preventing the rollers from resting fully in the tooth spaces. But if yours hasn't caused undo noise or friction or caused the chain to skip, it probably won't start now.

I guess I ll get a ACS claw to be safe.
Just be aware that if you do that, your old chain isn't going to play well with the new cog's teeth. In general, always try to replace drivetrain parts before any one of them wears out; if you wait, you often end up replacing all of them. So I'd probably just wait and replace the chain, cog teeth, and possibly chainring all at the same time. Then keep your chain clean & lubed and replace it once or twice a year to extend the life of the expensive parts.

P.S. In reality, I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new complete cog; rebuilding those Enos can be a PITA. If you want to save a little money but still get something really good, look into a Box 2 freewheel.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-01-21 at 12:20 AM.