Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone resort to pain relievers while riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 11:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

I’m not talking about controlled substances, but drugs like Tylenol, Ibuprofen or aspirin. When I used to do double centuries, I quickly learned that taking a couple of Ibuprofen after mile 150 when the aches and pains started, made the rest of the ride much more agreeable.

Yesterday I did a series of intervals over an hour. Today, I did a 30 miler at endurance pace and with a headwind on the returning trip, with 5 miles to go, my legs really started really aching. (Well don’t do that dumb @$$)…

and I thought, wow, if I only had some pain reliever, life would be better. Chances are with 5 miles to go, the pain reliever wouldn’t have had time to take effect, but it was wishful thinking at the time.

Which begs the question; do others on this board indulge in pain relievers to reduce suffering in the saddle? Perhaps not the stoic manly, “cycling is suffering”, but I prefer to experience pain - like going anaerobic, on my terms. (I bet some would like to take aspirin when reading my posts too)

Old 03-04-24, 01:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
That's getting into Frank Booth territory.
Old 03-04-24, 04:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
No I don’t take any pain relievers when riding. If I get any aches or pains I figure my body is trying to tell me something.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-04-24, 04:30 AM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
When I go on multi-day tours, for the first two to three days I take a small dose of aspirin when going to bed, at the end of the day. It prevents muscle pain, inflammation, cramps and promotes world peace (no it doesn't). Other than that nope, just eat lots of fruit, veggies and nuts.
Old 03-04-24, 06:54 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I occasionally pre-game with ibuprofen before a big ride, maybe once a month. It helps a little with the litany of 4 hour aches; feet, butt, legs, hands, etc.
Old 03-04-24, 08:45 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
No I don’t take any pain relievers when riding. If I get any aches or pains I figure my body is trying to tell me something.
This. Never even considered it.
Old 03-04-24, 09:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
It's likely that recruitment of some inflammatory pathways by exercise is important to some aspects of adaptation. It's obviously not harmful to use NSAIDs once in a while to deal with pain, but this is something to bear in mind. Acetaminophen shouldn't have this issue.
Old 03-04-24, 09:10 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I'm married to a doctor so I've been drilled to learn that while meds are great, they're not pickmeups and should only be used when really needed. Especially ibuprofen and paracetamol can cause organ damage when used carelessly, too frequently and/or in too high quantities. Ibuprofen breaks the kidneys while paracetamol breaks the liver.

Exercise induced dehydration can raise medication serum levels and especially the kidneys can take a hit when there's too little fluid and too much ibuprofen coming through.

So no, I don't use pain meds for rides if I can help it. If I'm too sore to ride, I don't. If the distance is too far to ride "comfortably" I won't. If I'm on tour it sometimes can't be helped.
Old 03-04-24, 09:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Exercise induced dehydration can raise medication serum levels and especially the kidneys can take a hit when there's too little fluid and too much ibuprofen coming through.
My wife is married to a doctor and yes, dehydration and NSAIDs do not mix!
Old 03-04-24, 09:31 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
My kidney doctor has forbidden ibuprofen for me. If I take Tylenol too often, it loses its effectiveness, so I just don't. I have a very few more powerful painkillers left over from old prescriptions, that I hoard for an emergency, and a Tramadol prescription, which helps a little if my back gets really bad, but I don't take them regularly, either.

I'm not against drugs; I take a lot of them, but I try to avoid even low-key pain meds as an ordinary solution, because of tolerance, and if things get bad, credibility. Ever try convincing a cancer nurse that your dental pain is every bit as excruciating? It can be extremely difficult, let me tell you.

On a longer ride, like three hours instead of 1-2, I'll take along one Tylenol and one Tramadol if I remember. If I actually need them, stoicism loses out.
Old 03-04-24, 09:46 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
sometimes when I do my weekend camp/tour trips on gravel I take ibuprofen mid-day for my shoulder. Gravel bothers my shoulder, tarmac does not.
Old 03-04-24, 10:38 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
When it comes to anti-inflammatories / NSAIDs, I keep something in mind.

If you're taking these meds orally, that means you are using them systemically (whole body), and that you have to achieve a fairly high level to get relief in any particular muscle or joint.

If you're taking these meds topically (Diclofenac/Voltaren), you only have to apply as much to achieve a local effect, and that amount generally will not affect you systemically unless you really slather it on.

I like taking topical NSAIDs before oral, and only saving the oral if the topical doesn't work or work well enough.

This way, I avoid the typical overuse scenarios where people burn out their liver or kidneys from sustained high does of any anti-inflammatory.
Old 03-04-24, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I have taken Aleve or naproxen sodium for joint pain I had prior to getting on the bike. But even that is fairly rare that I take anything for joint pain. I've never thought to take anything for pain I get while on the bike. So interesting question.
Old 03-04-24, 11:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
I’ll take “Vitamin I” while touring, but only when necessary.

Funny story: A few years ago, I stopped for lunch during a week long tour and grabbed what I thought was a bottle of normal Ibuprofen after really hurting my back the night before. Was about to down some but thought they looked odd. Turned out to be the PM version. That could have ended badly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-04-24, 11:45 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
My doctors have forbidden me from taking any of the NSAIDs due to a loss of kidney function from taking high doses of Ibuprofen while afflicted with Chikungunya. Fortunately, my pain tolerance is high for an old fart.
Old 03-04-24, 11:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I figure my body is trying to tell me something.
My body says remember; the broken wrist, that rotator cuff, the broken metatarsal, the weak legs, and also property taxes are due.
Old 03-04-24, 01:06 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
It's likely that recruitment of some inflammatory pathways by exercise is important to some aspects of adaptation.
Yes, I've read that inflammation is important for inducing improvement.

But this brings up the idea of "not all exercise induced inflammation good". I'm thinking of cardiac scarring that might induce atrial fibrillation, something on the minds of us chronic, older exercisers. After a long and hard race where I'm at the limit, I might be tempted to pop some NSAIDs to get the old ticker back to a "safe" condition.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-04-24, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
My doctors have forbidden me from taking any of the NSAIDs due to a loss of kidney function from taking high doses of Ibuprofen while afflicted with Chikungunya. Fortunately, my pain tolerance is high for an old fart.
Did you catch that from a Dubai call girl?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-04-24, 01:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, I've read that inflammation is important for inducing improvement.

But this brings up the idea of "not all exercise induced inflammation good". I'm thinking of cardiac scarring that might induce atrial fibrillation, something on the minds of us chronic, older exercisers. After a long and hard race where I'm at the limit, I might be tempted to pop some NSAIDs to get the old ticker back to a "safe" condition.
I think you're probably right that not all exercise-induced inflammation is good, but I don't think those heart changes are inflammatory in origin. Have you read that somewhere?
Old 03-04-24, 01:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
In my case, it's mostly saying, "You're old!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-04-24, 01:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
At 69 years old, I have fairly severe arthritis in my hands, shoulders, neck, and back. If I don't premedicate with ibuprofen before I ride, I only last about an hour before things get too miserable to continue.
Old 03-04-24, 01:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did you catch that from a Dubai call girl?
Too much rum in Antigua.
Old 03-04-24, 02:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I think you're probably right that not all exercise-induced inflammation is good, but I don't think those heart changes are inflammatory in origin. Have you read that somewhere?
I read about the possible link between inflammation and AF in Zinn: The Haywire Heart, which led me to this review article:

Guo et al, Inflammation in Atrial Fibrillation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2012

Lots of technical stuff that's beyond me, but here are few quotes in plain English:

"There is plausible evidence linking inflammation to the initiation and perpetuation of AF and AF-related thrombosis."

"Several prospective epidemiological studies confirmed that inflammation may confer an increased risk of AF."

"Whether AF is the cause or the consequence of inflammation cannot be safely answered on the basis of the available evidence. It is likely that both statements are true. Inflammation seems to represent a potent trigger of AF, whereas AF seems to create and sustain an inflammatory and prothrombotic environment."

So no definitive answer, but a lot of suggestions that inflammation is involved with AF.

Thoughts?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-04-24, 02:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I read about the possible link between inflammation and AF in Zinn: The Haywire Heart, which led me to this review article:

Guo et al, Inflammation in Atrial Fibrillation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2012

Lots of technical stuff that's beyond me, but here are few quotes in plain English:

"There is plausible evidence linking inflammation to the initiation and perpetuation of AF and AF-related thrombosis."

"Several prospective epidemiological studies confirmed that inflammation may confer an increased risk of AF."

"Whether AF is the cause or the consequence of inflammation cannot be safely answered on the basis of the available evidence. It is likely that both statements are true. Inflammation seems to represent a potent trigger of AF, whereas AF seems to create and sustain an inflammatory and prothrombotic environment."

So no definitive answer, but a lot of suggestions that inflammation is involved with AF.

Thoughts?
Yeah, that's actually familiar and makes sense. I seem to remember the explanations I've seen centering on the response of the contractile and conduction systems of the heart to mechanical stresses. However, many distinctions like this ultimately turn out to be meaningless.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-04-24, 09:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
1x Excedrin + 1x Ibuprofen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.