Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

As mechanics, are we ept?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

As mechanics, are we ept?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 12:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Depends on what you want to pay for. Bike shops have long experience with customers and sticker shock. A full tear down like you are talking about can quickly add up to more than a bike is worth.
Precisely.

And the reason why a 1970's department store bike might be able to be resurrected for the cost of a tube of grease and a few tires, but no shop wants to touch it.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-05-22, 12:29 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by gugie
Oh, I plan to do that as well, but I'm sure Mrs. Gugie will appreciate the peace and quiet of having me go to work a few days a week.
Don't you have a shed out back?
Old 03-05-22, 12:47 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
One thing about being a mechanic in a shop is that your job is to do repairs within a specific budget and other parameters. My job would be very different if I got to give every bike in the stand the treatment I feel is best, but most customers are budget minded, especially commuters and those with used, well worn bicycles. So a lot of the job ends up being triage, or figuring out how to best prioritize needed work based on a budget (or time frame, parts availability, etc.).
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-05-22, 12:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
...working at glacial speed...

HEY! I Resemble That Remark...

Old 03-05-22, 12:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Precisely.

And the reason why a 1970's department store bike might be able to be resurrected for the cost of a tube of grease and a few tires, but no shop wants to touch it.
A 70s department store bike should have been recycled about 20 years ago…even for the home enthusiast. There are 70s bikes that might be worth resurrecting but something that Sears sold out of the garden shop isn’t one of those. In other words, it’s not worth the tube of grease nor the tires.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-05-22, 12:57 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A 70s department store bike should have been recycled about 20 years ago…even for the home enthusiast. There are 70s bikes that might be worth resurrecting but something that Sears sold out of the garden shop isn’t one of those. In other words, it’s not worth the tube of grease nor the tires.
Perhaps.

But there are plenty of non-racing bikes from bygone eras that make great commuter bikes, errand bikes, and etc. Potentially better bikes than one can get from Walmart today. Except they just need a little TLC.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-05-22, 01:36 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I don't want to be a faster mechanic. Working on bikes is a cathartic/zen thing for me and I want it to take a while.
Old 03-05-22, 04:29 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
You missed the play on non-words.
It was evitable that everyone would understand.

Last edited by Andy_K; 03-05-22 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 03-05-22, 05:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Perhaps.

But there are plenty of non-racing bikes from bygone eras that make great commuter bikes, errand bikes, and etc. Potentially better bikes than one can get from Walmart today. Except they just need a little TLC.
This reminds me of markk900 's Supercycle from ~'74. Decent Motobecanes in department store livery. Very nice gaspipe.

Old 03-05-22, 05:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave

...first thing I had to build was a kid’s bike. I didn’t get it right...
Seen this remark a couple times at least in this thread, but don't understand its context. Can somebody shed some light on the difficulties of building a kid's bike?

DD
Old 03-05-22, 05:51 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Seen this remark a couple times at least in this thread, but don't understand it. Can somebody shed some light on the difficulties of building a kid's bike?

DD
The quality of components is just awful. Thinking back to a Toys'R'Us Kent "mountain bike" I bought for my daughter, trying to get the twist shifters and front derailleur to work together was quite a challenge.
Old 03-05-22, 05:57 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It was evitable the everyone would understand.
That kills me.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-05-22, 06:04 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Andy_K
It was evitable the everyone would understand.
This is Bike Forums. Some people overstand. Some standover. Some rederstand, and some just derstand.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-05-22, 06:18 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by clubman
This reminds me of markk900 's Supercycle from ~'74. Decent Motobecanes in department store livery. Very nice gaspipe.

One sees it every day in the subforum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/

For every $1000 racing bike survivor from the 70's and 80's, there must be 100, or perhaps 1000 low to mid range bikes sold. Many haven't withstood the test of time, but some have.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...1247002-w.html

And another one that popped up today.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gh-sprite.html

They do have a niche. But, not as a collector's bike (although there are some Schwinn collectors).

And, unfortunately, to do them justice, after a half century, even in a garage, they should be completely stripped and rebuilt which is exactly what is not economical for most bike shops.

A good bike co-op might do a good rebuild, but I have no doubt they also cut corners with inexperienced staff.
Old 03-05-22, 06:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
Slightly pedantic - the word is “apt”.
I'm not sure if that is the right word, either.

My guess is "ept" is supposed to be the opposite of "inept", but the dictionary says the word "ept" doesn't exist.

Not knowing for certain the OP's intent, I would guess the best word might be "competent."
Old 03-05-22, 06:36 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I consider myself pretty good at the era bikes I choose to work on and reasonably fast. Most of the LBS mechanics I have known are not as knowledgeable. But it’s just the opposite on the modern stuff! Disc hydraulic brakes, tubeless tires, suspensions, etc., the mechanics at the LBS beat me hands down!! Since a lot of their customer base is the latter category, they win. But on the old stuff, they will sometimes call me in.

i also won’t do superficial work, so if someone wants a $75 “tune up” on a bike that needs a full teardown, I pass. One advantage of being retired is I can work on the stuff I want to work on.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-05-22, 07:35 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if it's been mentioned already; I do recommend reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for anyone seeking higher gratification for working on machines (or anything for that matter), or for an explanation of why it can be so gratifying.
My own nuance is I like doing mechanical work of all kinds as long as I don't have a gun to my head to finish it by a certain time or below a certain cost.
Likes For old's'cool:
Old 03-05-22, 08:06 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if it's been mentioned already; I do recommend reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for anyone seeking higher gratification for working on machines (or anything for that matter), or for an explanation of why it can be so gratifying.
That's such a great book. I'm trying to get a couple of software engineers I work with to read it so they'll understand why just the fact that something makes a problem go away doesn't mean you've fixed it.
Old 03-05-22, 08:29 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
My own nuance is I like doing mechanical work of all kinds as long as I don't have a gun to my head to finish it by a certain time or below a certain cost.
Thanks for mentioning that book--I well remember reading it for the first time in the summer of 1972, and have often thought about it since. It suspect that it might be worth dipping back into it.

EDIT: Oops, I guess it wasn't 1972, since I see that it wasn't published until 1974. I might have membered that at one time, but I didn't remember it until just now.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 03-05-22 at 08:35 PM.
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 03-05-22, 08:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I'm kind of a Ope mechanic.

Like, "Ope", that's not right.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-05-22, 10:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
like most, I have never been a pro, the closest to that I have done is doing repairs at a bike charity, where clients and wait for the fix, but we hand multiple really good people and the shop took a pragmatic approach, i.e if a twist shifter was broken, take it off put a thumbshifter and new grips on

personally I am slow, but don't care. I have been working on my own bikes since i was 9 or 10 when my dad showed be how to clean, grease and adjust hubs and said it was my job after that

with the exception of facing, retreading, and reaming, and alignment, I think I have done close to everything there is with up to 11speed mechanical tech.

i am not afraid or opposed to electronic or hydraulic, just haven't had an occasion to work with that tech

Wheel building has been hit or miss, going to try one more time, just because I want to get it solid

Have not built a frame, but it is on my list, have done some copper pipe soldering, silver smith and brazing

so more or less the average C&V person

Old 03-05-22, 11:07 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Perhaps.

Yup. But department store bikes have never fit in the “potentially better bikes” category.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-05-22, 11:23 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by clubman

That bike is more a low end bike store bike then a typical “department store” bike. Forged dropouts, lugs, and the components weren’t typical of “department bike” which usually had smashed chain and seat stays that were spot welded to a cutout dropout. Huffy didn’t get the reputation that it did by making “good” bikes.

There are far too many really good bikes out in the world to spend any time on a bike that was sold by Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. Gods, I hope people don’t go gaga over Pacific bikes 30 years from now.

Old 03-06-22, 01:58 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I am . . . adequate. Not great. Not terrible. Adequate.

Pretty much everything I know comes from having to figure out how to do my own work as a teenager out of financial necessity. I can and still do perform most of the work on my bikes, including building standard 32 or 36 spoke wheels but not including working on frames. I'm really glad I am able to do this, and admiring the final result feels pretty good, but I don't exactly love the process when I'm in the middle of it. As my wife can confirm, a common mantra from me while I'm working on bike stuff is "Just work, damn it," and I do not have a smile on my face when I say it.
Old 03-06-22, 03:49 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I think I’d be able to do the work in a shop but I simply don’t want to be around people enough anymore to want to work retail.
Likes For Germany_chris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.