Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 02:40 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
I got wrenched on yesterday.

Five screws and a plate. I have no idea how many stitches I got. I'm stuck in this soft cast for two weeks, then six to eight weeks in either a hard cast or back in the boot. With Mrs.Bikamper's attitude towards me these past couple of weeks, I may sell our tandem that she's only ridden once.
wishing you a quick and speedy recovery
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-04-24, 02:41 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Things are getting serious

columbus max frame, one of my favorite tubings and great bianchi
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-04-24, 02:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
and we all love you Russ, lol.
It was a Freudian slip!
Old 03-04-24, 04:06 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Bergz

I always lamented the loss of the aluminum mounting bolt on the last generation of Suntour Superbe Pro. The sprung upper pivot does not appear to be necessary yet adds weight and complexity.
I turned down the head of a Sram mounting bolt to fit inside the Suntour bore and it works well saving 20 grams in the process. I'm sure I'll notice the reduced weight immediately....
Funny thing; when I first used Suntour derailleur, I thought lack of that spring is going to be a problem. And then it shofted beautifully and I ditched all Shimano derailleurs I had. Bar one, but that bicycle I ride in winter and wearing gloves, so index shifting helps. And now, despite having more bicycles, parts and frames I could possibly use on regular basis, I'm thinking about getting one with Sprint gruppo... Suntour is addictive.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-04-24, 04:21 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
The humble bumblebee 🐝 gets cleaned and polished.

Old 03-04-24, 05:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
By the way, I often get super anxious when I design a wheel because I'm afraid I'll get the spoke lengths wrong. I use a google sheet I converted from Damon Rinard's Excel spreadsheet called spocalc. His math is perfectly fine, obviously, but then I need to get the hub and rim measurements pretty darn close. I've only come up with wrong spoke lengths once since using this spreadsheet, so that's pretty good, and when I started to build the wheel last night, of course, that anxious feeling set in. But the wheel came together without a hitch. I had meant to try to plan it with that extra touch where sighting through the valve stem hole can show the hub logo. But I forgot. And then I got lucky. Not that anyone will notice. It's so silly how some of us keep adding useless rituals to our utilitarian routines. It's added complexity and opportunity for added anxiety. Knowamean?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-04-24, 11:02 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I had meant to try to plan it with that extra touch where sighting through the valve stem hole can show the hub logo. But I forgot.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think the wheel will hold up perfectly well regardless of hub label orientation. At least it's not where there's a cross over the valve hole, like someone did on one of their first wheels 40+ years ago (and I ran into on a machine-built wheel not so long ago).
Old 03-04-24, 11:06 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Not much time for bikes today, but I did replace the grips on my alumicruiser - Saturday's ride told me in no uncertain terms the old grips were plumb wore out. Trying something eclectic here (no surprise on my bikes) - $1.75 cushy green silicone eBay grips on the main bar, and some red Spenco grips on the bar ends (that I picked up cheep at some bike swap eons ago). Hopefully this setup will hold up for a few years of busy use.

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-05-24, 06:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Adding a bit of color to The Princess's UO-8 build. She picked this great shade; 1 Shot Peacock Blue, I was pushing for a softer blue. Decals next, clear coat this weekend, so assembly at the end of the month.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 03-05-24 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-05-24, 10:43 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
BTinNYC I think I missed the post where you share your technique of painting the blue. Absolute Perfection!
Old 03-05-24, 03:10 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
$15 to save this bike, it’s going to take a little elbow grease and rusted nuts to replace. But for the price I think it’s worth it. So far nothing is stuck or broke.
Old 03-05-24, 04:41 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
By the way, I often get super anxious when I design a wheel because I'm afraid I'll get the spoke lengths wrong. I use a google sheet I converted from Damon Rinard's Excel spreadsheet called spocalc. His math is perfectly fine, obviously, but then I need to get the hub and rim measurements pretty darn close. I've only come up with wrong spoke lengths once since using this spreadsheet, so that's pretty good, and when I started to build the wheel last night, of course, that anxious feeling set in. But the wheel came together without a hitch. I had meant to try to plan it with that extra touch where sighting through the valve stem hole can show the hub logo. But I forgot. And then I got lucky. Not that anyone will notice. It's so silly how some of us keep adding useless rituals to our utilitarian routines. It's added complexity and opportunity for added anxiety. Knowamean?
I wouldn't buy and ride a wheel where the decal / manufacturer's logo is in an "incorrect" place Because that tells you the person who built it is either careless or a mad genious. Considering the percentage of the general population who are mad geniuses is rather slim, it stands to reason that percentage of wheel builders who are mad geniuses would be roughly similar, which leaves us with the careless crowd. Ultimately, of course it doesn't matter where the logo is and which way it's facing, but I'd like to know the person who built the wheel paid attention to what they are doing. But, if I were to buy a complete wheel these days, it would most likely be for the hub and because of that I don't particularly care what they've done with the spokes and the rim. Rituals and conventions can be comforting
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-05-24, 04:41 PM
BTinNYC 

Ready for clear coat.

Old 03-05-24, 08:10 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
My commuting bike (1973 Raleigh International which I hand-painted) has been wearing a borrowed wheel for a couple of years. I borrowed it from my Lemond titanium racing bike. The Lemond has been wearing 650B wheels as an experiment. It's been fun, but I'll revert to 700c now, so it needs the borrowed wheel back. The 650B wheels are a very tight fit, and I can only use a 38 mm tire in the rear. The handling is a little wonky, especially if the front tire pressure isn't just right. The Lemond rode harshly, so I'll see if more supple 700c tires fix that.

A problem with borrowing the wheel is that the Lemond has a Campagnolo drivetrain, including a Campagnolo rear hub with Campagnolo spacing on the cassette. To shift, sometimes I have to use two clicks instead of one. It's not as bad as I would have thought, but the Raleigh will be going back to a Shimano rear hub.

I built a wheel last night! I used a Dura Ace hub I got off ebay a while back. I got it thinking I would build it onto my Lemond with 650B rims (while converting the Lemond to a Shimano drivetrain), but I changed my mind. I was told that this particular vintage Dura Ace hub can accept many kinds of Shimano cassettes, so I very much hope it accepts my 10-speed cassette. I used a 36-hole CR18 rim I got years ago when I stocked up on parts for flipping bikes. I anticipated a lot more need than I ended up having. I bought the spokes from Lee Kilpatrick (lkspoke@yahoo.com) who cuts custom spokes. It's always a pleasure dealing with him. I recommend him highly. I used a technique @FBinNY taught me which is to use a lighter gauge spokes on the non-drive side. I also have hundreds of spoke nipples hanging around from when I stocked up on parts.

My Raleigh isn't wearing my new wheel yet. Here it is, ready to go to work today. It's 13 miles each way, so I don't do the commute on bike most of the time.

Here is the wheel after lacing and before tensioning. I like to put a rubber band around the hub so people I can mess with the heads of who don't know about bikes, making them wonder how I got it "in there."

Soon, I'll try the cassette on the new wheel and use it on the Raleigh.
Well done, Tom!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-05-24, 08:17 PM
RogueB

Bikes: 71-72 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello to all,

In lieu of introduction let me just share that I am “near” new to this forum and have total of 5 posts, all of them on “Show us your Raleigh” thread.
Unfortunately my communication tally does not entitle me to post pictures, so I could not contribute much in that thread, other than ask few questions of a member who posted a picture of a his refurbished Raleigh Super Course (early 70’s vintage). I received few answers and shared some information on the subject of Raleigh serial numbers and possible date of production.

I have a 1971-1972 Raleigh Super Course which, when new, was a carbon copy of a bike pictured in 1971 Raleigh Super Course US catalog, including the AVA stem, same wheels, hubs, derailleurs, frame, etc. It is the serial number (6 digits only), which points to possible early 1972 production year. (Data from Headbadge website - no association; used as information resource).
I am also familiar with information on Sheldon Brown’s site.

I am in the middle of restoring said bike and, unfortunately, the bottom-bracket spindle’s “race”, on the drive side, is worn; the spindle binds when trying to adjust its “play” to proper tolerances. New (loose) ball bearings did not solve the problem.
The few square taper or Cottered spindles on eBay seem less than serviceable, so remaining options are the sealed BB cartridge or thread-less type. The bottom bracket cup threading is Raleigh's 26 TPI (confirmed), which limits the possibilities drastically.
I can get Phil Wood’s Super Corsa 26TPI BB cups, and possibly the BB cartridge, but I am not sure what spindle length to order.

The full (original cotter type) spindle length is about 135.7 mm, and distance from the “middle” of left cotter slot to “middle” of right cotter slot on the spindle is about 116 mm. Chain-line is about 43.5 mm. Shell width is 70.5 mm.

I looked at Phil Wood Square Taper Bottom Brackets 103-145 mm (JIS Taper), but am not sure which spindle length would work. It would seem that, a square tapered spindle of 116 mm length with 68-73 mm (adjustable) shell should fit my application, and preserve chain-line.
The 135mm spindle would match the full length of Cottered 135 mm spindle, but the latter is asymmetrical, with left side race-to-end length of 33 mm, and right side of 46 mm, hence 116 mm spindle choice (?)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RogueB; 03-05-24 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-05-24, 08:27 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Ready for clear coat.
Will you mask the chrome, or clear coat over it? I'm a few weeks away from clear coating my rusty Carabela and it has chrome socks and head tube lugs. I just don't think the chrome will hold the clear coat well, and I don't know that the patina will not come back as all out rust. So I'm mulling over what I should do.

Old 03-05-24, 08:39 PM
BTinNYC 

I'm going to clear coat the chrome too. That's what Peugeot did and it seems to have protected the chrome a bit.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-05-24, 10:02 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I am going to try some chrome paint over my bad (used to be chrome) chainstays. Were so bad I had to keep sanding down through the chrome so this will be an experiment for me. Luckily the seatstays were fine and the outsides of one chainstay was fine, just the inside and outside drive side.
Currently tried polishing a stem, but found the polishing kit with a 3in wheel on a corded drill was too slow. So far it's coming out good and this leaves me with hope on the campy cranks and other bits to polish out.
Old 03-06-24, 07:15 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Still no C&V work, but at least I am ambulatory enough with my knee scooter to get out to the garage and phart around with the 90 year old lathe. At least for two hours at a time, anyway. That's all I can stand on the knee scooter. After that, it's blissful nap time.

I found out that having babbitt bearings on the main shaft of the headstock dates it between 1932 to 1935. It was needle bearings from 1936 on.
I grew up working on old farm equipment and Chevy Stovebolt sixes, AKA babbitt beaters, so babbitt bearings are no big deal. I was able to dial in the clearance with .012 and .002 shims and install the new belts. If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll run it at no load for a while, then re-check the bearing clearances.

I'd work on the Everton but that requires moving the Ural and ATV out of the garage. My shifting foot doesn't work and I don't think I can even swing a leg over either.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 03-06-24, 11:16 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I wonder if there are C&V knee scooters? It is good you have fun things like the old lathe to occupy yourself with while your body heals.
Old 03-07-24, 01:37 AM
RogueB

Bikes: 71-72 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
At BTinNYC,
Beautiful restoration; paint scheme looks factory perfect.
Likes For RogueB:
Old 03-07-24, 05:41 AM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Classtime
BTinNYC I think I missed the post where you share your technique of painting the blue. Absolute Perfection!
Gracias! I use the "1-Shot" brand enamel paint and add about 5% paint thinner. For the headtube, three coats; after the first two coats I wet sand each with 2000 grit and after the third coat I polish using a piece of belt leather, the hard side coated with wet cutting compound. Pinstriping masking tape for the pinstripes.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 03-07-24 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-07-24, 06:51 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I wonder if there are C&V knee scooters? It is good you have fun things like the old lathe to occupy yourself with while your body heals.
Jeez, I hope not. The current 'Evil One' is 8 years old and not all that refined. It beats crutches, though. I need to retrain myself on it and hope to be making chips in a couple weeks.
Old 03-07-24, 07:01 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
I found out that having babbitt bearings on the main shaft of the headstock dates it between 1932 to 1935. It was needle bearings from 1936 on.
Oh, that takes me back. My first job out of school was in a hot steel rolling mill. I learned about babbitt bearings, bluing and scraping and “make GD sure the oil systems are up to temperature and pressure for an hour before we try to turn those mills!” Otherwise the mill is down for a week and we’re all working 24x7.

I also learned you could use a welders torch to melt down the scrap bearing halves to make weights for bottom fishing off the “Joisey” coast.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-07-24, 07:08 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
This stuff?

Never knew this existed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.