Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sora Triple chainring to double chainring

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 12:21 PM
elston1999

Bikes: Cannondale r500, Mongoose Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a sora 2x9 setup and want to replace original 300ex chainrings and bottom bracket as they are worn out. I was gifted a triple sora chainring instead of the double I need. Can I simply remove smallest chainring and then install the crankset as a double? It looks like that smaller or most inner ring comes off. Will this affect chain line by installing it as a double when it was packaged a triple. Thank you
Old 02-06-24, 01:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Not enough to worry about
Old 02-06-24, 02:10 PM
elston1999

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So safe to remove smallest ring and install it? Didn’t want to void return if it didn’t work. Thanks!
Old 02-06-24, 02:11 PM
elston1999

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
Not enough to worry about
So safe to remove that smallest ring and install it? Didn’t want to void the return in case it didn’t work. Thanks!
Old 02-06-24, 02:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
if you have the clearance for the small ring you probably could just leave it on. you just won't be shifting to it. not sure about the CL question though. won't the big ring be further out? if your FD can reach it then maybe ok.

a great question to post in the bike mechan forum to be sure.
Old 02-07-24, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you were gifted the crankset, then is it newly purchased? If so, just ask the person that gifted it to you whom they got it from so you can see if it can be exchanged.

If it's just a spare that someone had and gifted to you, then try it and see whether it works for you or not. However the chain line going to the biggest ring will be off a few millimeters. You'll know if that's a problem if you have poor shifting to the larger rear sprockets. You also might find your front derailleur does not have enough high limit adjustment to allow you to get into the big ring. But that's just more me wondering. I've never tried to use a 3x crank with a 2x FD.

As another mentioned, just leave the small ring on the crank. It'll make some others scratch their heads. And it won't be taking up shelf space in perpetuity.
Old 02-07-24, 09:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

years - decades - ago a number of guys in our road riding group ran MTB cranksets with the small ring removed on their road bikes

they paired them with a cassette with a 11t small cog which were just becoming available (Action Tec was one source until the big companies began to offer 11t cog)

this was before the availability of the current / popular semi-compact and compact cranksets you often see on road and gravel bikes

can’t recall the front derailleurs they used - but their bikes shifted well … no issues

one example pictured above - Shimano 563 LX crank with 44 / 29 chainrings (94 mm bcd)

Last edited by t2p; 02-07-24 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 12:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A triple will have a slightly wider 'Q' factor, but will still work as a double if you take off the inner ring. You'll just have to adjust your derailleur to match. (The derailleur will need to move out a bit further.)