Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weight loss and riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight loss and riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 07:47 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Congratulations! I did much the same when I turned 50. I went from 360 lbs. to 170 lbs. in 2 years on low carb zero sugar, intermittent fasting and cycling every day. Nearly 6 years later I'm still 180 lbs. and eat all my calories in a 2-6 hour window every day. It's an easy diet to maintain for me. I don't eat processed foods or drinks and try to have a varied diet of fresh produce and healthy meats.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-25-23, 10:41 AM
xgregg676

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my previous thread I was redirected here.

I'm 320-330 lbs, 6 foot,

wondering what bike would be best for me? Having trouble remembering but I think that it was suggested to go with a 26" hardtail, not sure if that is the frame size or the wheel size or which hard tail to go with.

What would be a good bike for around $500? From what I hear it is easier to get a used bike of this category for less. but having very little knowledge of bikes, I'm not sure which one would be best.

I'm not sure what to be looking for? If I can find it used, that is great, and if new and in stock, even better.

I've even considered a gasoline motor scooter, but living in a 55+ community, in addition to a few other factors, -- I'm not sure how well that would go over.
I've got a big hill that seems to be difficult at times Ideally i'd want a transportation device that I can make a 10-15 mile commute without overdoing it, as I have on my kick scooter. ( feet injury)
Old 11-25-23, 10:17 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Probably meant 26" wheels. Used 26'ers are a dime a dozen since newer mtn bikes use 27.5 or 29 inch wheels almost exclusively.
Can be a good choice for a low dollar casual ride. Be picky, don't buy a project. Get the right frame size.
Go look in a bike store. Reasonable basic bikes can be had around for your price point.

Last edited by tungsten; 11-25-23 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-26-23, 10:13 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by xgregg676
In my previous thread I was redirected here.

I'm 320-330 lbs, 6 foot,

wondering what bike would be best for me? Having trouble remembering but I think that it was suggested to go with a 26" hardtail, not sure if that is the frame size or the wheel size or which hard tail to go with.

What would be a good bike for around $500? From what I hear it is easier to get a used bike of this category for less. but having very little knowledge of bikes, I'm not sure which one would be best.

I'm not sure what to be looking for? If I can find it used, that is great, and if new and in stock, even better.

I've even considered a gasoline motor scooter, but living in a 55+ community, in addition to a few other factors, -- I'm not sure how well that would go over.
I've got a big hill that seems to be difficult at times Ideally i'd want a transportation device that I can make a 10-15 mile commute without overdoing it, as I have on my kick scooter. ( feet injury)
First you should look at some size charts and possibly go to a couple bike shops to find out what size fits you best right now. You can google how to measure for size as well. Basically you need the measurement from the center of the crank-bottom bracket to the top of the seat post tube. My suggestion would be to buy a steel or aluminum MTB with wider tires to start.

I paid $60 for my first MTB that wouldn't shift and was too small, but I put a few hundred miles on that bike anyway until I bought my next one for $100. My next one was $250, the next one I paid nearly $500 but by then I knew a lot more about what I needed and liked.
Old 11-26-23, 11:13 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'm 320-330 lbs, 6 foot,

I'll get flamed on here, but Royce Union (Huffy) has a 18sp Shimano Sora equipped gravel bike for $240 after their 25% coupon in banner. This is a drop bar bike.
https://www.royceunion.com/rgf-gravel-bike-76989/
They have some SLX equipped 29" hardtails under <$300, but your size appears sold out. I'd suggest asking a bike shop to make sure everything is greased, spokes tensioned and bolts torqued properly as I doubt their QC is very good. The size is 21, not sure this is the right size for 6ft, but it may work (no geometry charts)

I'm also a fan of 26" rigid bikes from the 90's, and if you go this route, look for used, in your size, with components that say Deore (just Deore, Deore LX, Deore XT, etc...). Expect to get these bikes a tune up as many have gone without for 30+ years. However, as you are relying on the used market, this can take time which is why going for the Royce Union is a bike available now that you can replace if you become more interested in cycling.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-28-23, 07:54 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Excellent job. You are heathier because you did something you hated to do, but knew you had to.

Work isn't fun either, but we need to make money, so we work. Riding a bike can be like that for some people, it's not fun, but we need to keep our weight under control, so we ride a bike, or jog, or some such thing.

I'm 70 years old, been riding for over 50 years, and quite frankly it does get tedious, but my weight has only gone up by 20 pounds since I was in high school. Also, I kept riding because it's a stress reliever, I owned a business for about 25 years, put in a lot of hours to make it successful, but there was a lot of stress, so I would ride after work a lot, and on weekends. Now that I'm retired, I can put more miles on the bike than I could before. Biking for me is a mix bag, sometimes it's fun and other times it's not, but I keep doing it because I know that I have to, just like I knew I had to work.

If I don't ride, like during the winter months, my weight does creep up, but now I go to the gym which I didn't have time to do when I was running the first business, all I had time for was riding the bike, and working out in a gym is the same thing, tedious, more so than riding a bike.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-29-23, 07:03 AM
ChromeChainstay

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
congratulations everyone. i went from 168-122lbs in 5 months

got the high blood pressure high cholesterol warning from my doctor

now everything is normal

no carbs, no sugar did it

now i add oats a couple times a week.

started the change in February and started riding in late March
Likes For ChromeChainstay:
Old 11-29-23, 07:44 AM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ChromeChainstay
congratulations everyone. i went from 168-122lbs in 5 months

got the high blood pressure high cholesterol warning from my doctor

now everything is normal

no carbs, no sugar did it

now i add oats a couple times a week.

started the change in February and started riding in late March
Great progress!
Old 11-29-23, 04:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
What I am doing is also more diet change. I cut out any processed sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. basically I eliminated as many carbs as possible.
i found a keto friendly bread. Sola has 1 net card and has the taste and texture of regular wheat bread.
I’m not suffering or craving any of the crap I gave up. I will cheat now and then- Texas Roadhouse rolls are really good. I ate one 3 weeks ago and felt guilty after but dang it was good. That was the first regular bread since January.
This will be easy to maintain after I hit my goal weight.
If you think Roadhouse rolls are good, and they are, try the rolls at the Wicked Butcher downtown. I could make a meal of those things.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-29-23, 05:41 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you think Roadhouse rolls are good, and they are, try the rolls at the Wicked Butcher downtown. I could make a meal of those things.
I will go get one on my next cheat day.
Old 11-29-23, 06:50 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easn’t fun.
Just curious if you are enjoying riding more now that you've lost weight and it's easier. If not, I would seriously start looking at other activities. I started biking again about 8 years ago (at 59) and what has kept me at it was that I never get tired of it. I live in a semi rural area and have lots of nice roads to explore and I can do long rides over to the Pacific Ocean and back. I always look forward to a ride.

When you don't enjoy something, it's too easy to find good reasons to skip a ride here and there and suddenly it's been a week and then 2 weeks, etc. Hopefully you're having fun. That'll make it easier to keep going on your weight goals. Congratulations!
Old 11-29-23, 07:26 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Just curious if you are enjoying riding more now that you've lost weight and it's easier. If not, I would seriously start looking at other activities. I started biking again about 8 years ago (at 59) and what has kept me at it was that I never get tired of it. I live in a semi rural area and have lots of nice roads to explore and I can do long rides over to the Pacific Ocean and back. I always look forward to a ride.

When you don't enjoy something, it's too easy to find good reasons to skip a ride here and there and suddenly it's been a week and then 2 weeks, etc. Hopefully you're having fun. That'll make it easier to keep going on your weight goals. Congratulations!
Riding is easier now. The big problem is simply finding a good route. Loops through my small town is boring. The surrounding streets have a lot of traffic and are a little dangerous.
I have a paved trail around a small local lake-6.5 miles that should make it more enjoyable.
I have lost interest in a lot of things I used to enjoy. A large part of it is that after retiring I am not around people anymore. I go through most days without talking to anyone until my wife gets home. I really need to find a group to ride with. Riding alone isn’t a lot of fun.
Old 11-30-23, 12:10 PM
RH Clark

Riding is easier now. The big problem is simply finding a good route. Loops through my small town is boring. The surrounding streets have a lot of traffic and are a little dangerous.
I have a paved trail around a small local lake-6.5 miles that should make it more enjoyable.
I have lost interest in a lot of things I used to enjoy. A large part of it is that after retiring I am not around people anymore. I go through most days without talking to anyone until my wife gets home. I really need to find a group to ride with. Riding alone isn’t a lot of fun.
I am fortunate enough to be close to a National Forrest. There are hundreds of dirt road miles just 6 highway miles from my door. I rarely ride there during hunting season but with the exception of weekends I have spent 8 hours riding without ever seeing a vehicle.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-30-23, 12:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

Where are you located in FW?

PM me. I might be able to help you out with some ideas.

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-30-23 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-30-23, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I am fortunate enough to be close to a National Forrest. There are hundreds of dirt road miles just 6 highway miles from my door.
Fun fact: The National Forest Service oversees the largest road network in the entire country. Last I heard, its total mileage dwarfs the that of Interstate Highway system by a factor of 3.
Old 11-30-23, 01:36 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Where are you located in FW?

PM me. I might be able to help you out with some ideas.
I am by Saginaw. We have had a lot of warehouses built around us. 18 wheel truck traffic has increased significantly. We also have new neighborhoods being built bringing in a lot more traffic.

I think the Marine Creek trail and Trinity River trail are going to be my best options.
Old 11-30-23, 06:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

I am by Saginaw. We have had a lot of warehouses built around us. 18 wheel truck traffic has increased significantly. We also have new neighborhoods being built bringing in a lot more traffic.

I think the Marine Creek trail and Trinity River trail are going to be my best options.
The FWBA has several group rides that you might fit with. They are all named “Rusty Chain Gang” or similar. They are all older guys for the most part, but very friendly and welcoming. Most rides are fairly small - 10 cyclists or so. They ride in different parts of Tarrant County on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. My wife and I do the Mansfield ride on Saturday mornings. If you want, you can come try it out this Saturday. It’s about a 20 mile ride at about a 14+ mph pace, with a lengthy break midway. it can be a bit of a push for my wife, but it’s more of an easy social ride for me. The group is ages 56 (my wife) me at 66 to others up to 84, so no young studs.

https://www.fwbaclub.org/event-5494549

Last edited by Mojo31; 11-30-23 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-30-23, 07:58 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The FWBA has several group rides that you might fit with. They are all named “Rusty Chain Gang” or similar. They are all older guys for the most part, but very friendly and welcoming. Most rides are fairly small - 10 cyclists or so. They ride in different parts of Tarrant County on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. My wife and I do the Mansfield ride on Saturday mornings. If you want, you can come try it out this Saturday. It’s about a 20 mile ride at about a 14+ mph pace, with a lengthy break midway. it can be a bit of a push for my wife, but it’s more of an easy social ride for me. The group is ages 56 (my wife) me at 66 to others up to 84, so no young studs.

https://www.fwbaclub.org/event-5494549
Thanks. I will watch for a ride nearby.
Old 12-01-23, 10:36 AM
xgregg676

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the consensus the royce union? why are the handle bars like that?? what are those called?

I live too far from town to go in and get it fitted, this is cost prohibitive. - Is there an easier way to fit me? I'm 6ft exact. 320 lbs

I'm wanting to be able to travel further than I can on my Razor A5 Lux, would this bike be a weight, (or would it help me in my commute that is a greater than 10 miles)

looking for responses

Last edited by xgregg676; 12-01-23 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 10:51 AM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
I didn’t see a recommendation for an ebike? There are several sturdily built ones that just help (not the ones with throttles, the ones that provide pedaling assist). It can allow you to go further and farther and faster than you can under your own power, which also makes it a lot more fun.
Old 12-02-23, 04:19 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
is the consensus the royce union? why are the handle bars like that?? what are those called?

I live too far from town to go in and get it fitted, this is cost prohibitive. - Is there an easier way to fit me? I'm 6ft exact. 320 lbs

I'm wanting to be able to travel further than I can on my Razor A5 Lux, would this bike be a weight, (or would it help me in my commute that is a greater than 10 miles)

looking for responses
The Royce Union I posted is only if your budget is super tight and you can't / don't have the patience to find a good used bike. It is still a cheap bike, but it does have some decent components on it. You can buy much better with a bigger budget.
Likes For katsup:
Old 12-02-23, 05:08 PM
redshift1

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I rode today after a sorta layoff of a few months.
I am 65 and overweight. I found all kinds of reasons to not ride- mainly because it just easn’t fun.
Since February 1st I have lost 75 pounds. I was 305 and am now 227. I plan to lose at least another 30-40.
Today while riding I noticed my bike was easier to pedal and I wasn’t worn out after 5 miles like I was. I am going to have to get it in my head that my body has changed.
I even rode in the drops a little. I couldn’t before due to my gut being in the way.
I may have to readjust my bike to how I am now.
Just wanted to brag a little. I felt really good after only 5 miles. I will do more tomorrow.
I just realized that my hands didn’t go numb either.
I was considering spending this Sunday morning drinking coffee and surfing the Net. After reading the above inspirational story, I've decided to finish my first coffee and then go riding ! Thanks !
Likes For redshift1:
Old 12-05-23, 08:30 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I'll get flamed on here, but Royce Union (Huffy) has a 18sp Shimano Sora equipped gravel bike for $240 after their 25% coupon in banner. This is a drop bar bike.
https://www.royceunion.com/rgf-gravel-bike-76989/
Consider yourself an ex Vietnamese village....
Old 12-10-23, 02:52 PM
xgregg676

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really looking for something that I can increase the distance I can travel.

With the scooter, my feet are done after 10 miles. -- I just watched a video and saw a guy said he could do 76 miles before getting tired on his bicycle, i'd be happy if I could make it 20 miles.

I was thinking of a hard tail mountain bike, -- would this be generally more fitting than the royce union? - What are some bikes that would fit this criteria that would be a good fit for me? ft 330 lbs?
Funds are limited and I'm not too sure what to look for, I'm sure as with many topics, you can get really into it.

thank you

Looking for a bike, advice appreciated

Maybe the royce union is what i'd need. it is very hilly here so i'd be walking the bike up hill half the time, so something light maybe? I need a bike that is efficient, I see the royce union has no front suspension and wondered how thatd affect my ride? I don't see myself hitting any jumps anytime soon. Just looking for something I can go maybe 10 miles to town (maybe class?) on and 10 miles back on some asphalt\

Its looking more appealing as time goes on
it is right around my price point

Last edited by xgregg676; 12-10-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-11-23, 02:08 AM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Great results! Congrats! Cycling is a great way to lose weight, but definitely not the only one. BetterMe blog https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fit...dy/ar-AA1kdmZb has tons of great tips and tricks on how to stay healthy and enjoy the life at the same time. It is a precious combination, don't you think?

Last edited by lex further; 12-27-23 at 05:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.