Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn 'Approved' Traveler 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-22, 01:14 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Schwinn 'Approved' Traveler 3

0598 stamped on

8E01540

I don't know the year, but this bike only appeared in the schwinn catalog in 1978 and 1979. I can post the relevant pages if it would help.

I believe it's missing a seat shim, and the seat cover is an add on but the original seat is under there.

thanks
Old 08-21-22, 04:37 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Lower end fairly heavy bike from the late 70's. probably over 40lbs maybe close to 50 with the extras. I would say $125 or so if everything is in good working order and I would not it want at that price. Are you selling or buying ? if selling take the extras bags, lock other bits off the bike you won't get more so you would be giving them away.

Last edited by zukahn1; 08-22-22 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-21-22, 04:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
0598 = 59th day of. 1978. Bottom end. Schwinn had Japan make bikes at several price levels, bottom, mid, top of the line. This is the bottom.
Old 08-21-22, 04:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
It is a good riding bike but, it is not too special or high end.

The seat cover and rack attachment aren't doing the bike any favors. It is weird that over the years Schwinn has used the Traveler name on bikes of many types. This bike has steel rims, likely steel handlebars, a low end crankset and stamped dropouts without a derailleur hanger. On the plus side, it has a well made frame with basic steel tubing. The brake levers have been changed to aero style levers. Some of us like them not for aerodynamics but because they get rid of the cable above the handlebars. This can be viewed as a good thing if you like it or a bad thing if you want it original. Wait, it is a low end Traveler, nobody cares about original.

I would guess cleaned up with some of these extras taken off, $75. However, I think outside of NY or some of the Metropolitan areas, it would be less. By the way that doesn't stop some of our local Craigslist regulars from posting a bike like this for $300. My former landlord was a Used Car dealer and one of his more common saying was there's an @ss for every seat. What this bike is posted for and what it is worth may be two wildly different prices.
Old 08-21-22, 05:06 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
It is called the TRAVELER III, not the TRAVELER 3. ( basically... III told the world that it now had a modern 3 piece crank for 1978...) It was believed by most that the reason that SCHWINN decided to use the TRAVELER III name for the 1978 model is because the 1975, 1976, and 1977 TRAVELER (from Panasonic in Japan for Schwinn) was essentially a ONE PIECE CRANK, LeTour like bike with the shimano built GT-120 rear derailleur from the Collegiate/Suburban 5 speed, instead of the lighter Shimano rear derailleur that the 3 piece alloy crankset equipped LeTour received. Other than the One Piece Crank and the GT-120 rear derailleur, the 1975-1977 TRAVELER was nearly the same exact bicycle as the LeTour, except that the '75-'77 Traveler weighed approximately 1 1/2 pounds more than the Le Tour ten speed. Gearing was exactly the same between both the Le Tour and the Traveler during the model years '75-'77.

*** Schwinn upgraded the Traveler to a THREE PIECE CRANK for 1978, making it even more like the 1974-1977 LeTour. HENCE, THE REASON FOR ALTERING THE NAME FROM Traveler TO Traveler III. ******

The background on this revising of this previously employed classic SCHWINN TRAVELER nameplate, for a JAPANESE (Panasonic) import for the 1975 model year:
SCHWINN engineers asked PANASONIC who had already been producing the Le Tour for SCHWINN, to make the LeTour's frame with a ONE PIECE CRANK and that bicycle would be called the TRAVELER. The idea behind it was to build a real lightweight BOMBPROOF Japanese ten speed that, had the reliability of the seventies 5 speed Collegiate/5 speed Suburban (which are much more reliable than the Huret Allvit equipped VARSITY/Continental/10sp Suburbans). THIS THE THE SOLE REASON THAT SCHWINN ENGINEERS SPECIFIED THE ONE PIECE CRANK & THE GT-120 REAR DERAILLEUR on this Japanese 10 speed that has the same gearing (with 28-14 freewheel) as the chicago electroforged VARSITY-CONTINENTAL and the Japanese produced (Panasonic) Le Tour. Other than weighing about 1.5 pounds more than the LeTour, due to having an American style hanger set instead of a bottom bracket, and a heavier, virtually unbreakeable rear derailleur, the '75-'77 Japanese built TRAVELER was essentially an economy-budget Le Tour, that was even far better than the Varsity/Continental, than was the LeTour due to this unbreakeable bombproof nature of these components*.
... * well, this assumes that the frame sizes offered for the '75-'77 Traveler & '74 on LeTour PERFECTLY FIT SAID RIDER, as the Varsity/Continental had a greater number of different frame sizes, which were not available on the Japanese imports during the Seventies era.

By the mid seventies, cycling enthusiasts increasingly desired lighter weight bicycles and electroforged frames and one piece ashtabula cranks did not have any appeal to cycling enthusiasts by 1973. Schwinn was slow to get that message, because they were selling out of everything that they were building in the Chicago factory.
Ordinary cyclists, or bicycle riders, as some here on bike forums might prefer to call those folks who don't seem to be so interested in what type of machinery/technology that the bicycle they ride has, don't really care other than said bicycle must be comfortable and at least fairly reliable.
The VARSITY remained the worlds best selling ten speed through the late seventies.
So there were still a large number of ordinary cyclists in the marketplace.
Anyway Schwinn did get the message, perhaps late and having a large factory that was equipped to produce electroforged frames that cycling enthusiasts did not want in a " lightweight" derailleur geared bicycle.
This is why the 1978 TRAVELER III (WITH 3 PIECE ALLOY CRANK) replaced the 1977 TRAVELER (with American style hanger set and 1 PIECE CRANK) .
The '78 TRAVELLER III essentially became more like the previous LeTour. ......again essentially a down market LeTour, but less so than before.
Schwinn likely felt that by the 1978 model year that it was vitally important to bring JAPANESE imports that featured more desireable, more modern features, especially since the Japanese import bikes were significantly lighter than the electroforged Chicago built "lightweights".
Schwinn also by the 1977 model year had begun to offer other varsity variants, including the highest quality "Varsity" ever offered, though it did not bear the "Varsity" name------the model that I am talking about was the Maeda SUNTOUR equipped "varsity" that was officially known as the SPORTABOUT and RUNABOUT models.................yes, it was a Chicago built electroforged "varsity", except with SUNTOUR derailleur.......same 52/39 ashtabula one piece crank ....
Schwinn did this to give those who wanted SUNTOUR instead of the antiquated , second rate Huret Allvit in a improved clone of the two ton Varsity, all the while not disturbing the Varsity faithful that kept buying them as they had since the mid to late sixties.
The SPORTABOUT and RUNABOUT (the tourist version...) were only available as Suntour equipped "electroforged varsities" ten speeds for about two model years, 1977 & 1978.
Schwinn wasn't in a position to quickly turn their massive battleship around. They were too big to change quickly. They did what they did as they realized the landscape was massively changing. They also, with their once mighty status, enabled Japanese firms to gain a faster foothold in the American marketplace, and allow the American consumer to realize perhaps a bit sooner than otherwise, the incredible quality of Japanese components and bikes. In the late seventies, Schwinn would enable a Taiwanese manufacturer to go from vitually an unknown nobody into a giant. Consumers aren't as dumb as advertisers would like you to believe. Just as American consumers began to first realize in 1973-1974 that imported Japanese Datsuns and Toyotas were significantly better built and engineered than anything out of Detroit, so too did buyers of lightweight bicycles realize that Japanese imports were superior to what Chicago was producing. One would have to guess that the folks in Chicago, probably didn't listen enough to an early Bob Dylan song.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 08-22-22, 02:53 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lots of great info guys! Thank you.
I was just curious, not buying or selling. I am actually kind of glad to know it was low end when new. Now I won't feel bad for modifying it as needed.
Old 08-22-22, 04:25 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

If your keeping the bike and are planning on riding with all the extras. I would strongly suggest you upgrade the brake pads to a nice set of Kool Stops the regular OEM type Dia-compe ones just don't work good on the heavy chrome rims and almost not when wet.
Old 08-22-22, 04:35 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
If your keeping the bike and are planning on riding with all the extras. I would strongly suggest you upgrade the brake pads to a nice set of Kool Stops the regular OEM type Dia-compe ones just don't work good on the heavy chrome rims and almost not when wet.
the bike with extras was 41 pounds but I've added maybe a pound of junk since then. I'm preparing to mount an anemometer and a second phone to take wind readings on the road too.

So I will look for kool stops brake pads.

I actually thought the factory brakes worked really well. Better than any other bike I've had, however it did rain one day and like you said they're was almost zero braking power.
Old 08-22-22, 05:01 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

in the kool stop store on Amazon I found pads that look like a perfect match but they're $25 and it's just the rubber. https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Sun...207863&sr=8-31

they also have "the flying wheel" brand in their store, and they have some pads that look the same except the color, they include the metal holders and they're only $7. https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Wheels...&sr=8-245&th=1

can this bike use any brake pads that are bolt on? I'm overwhelmed with options if so.
Old 08-22-22, 06:37 PM
zukahn1 

For cheaper brake pads nearly any nutted brake pads will work nicely on older Dia-Compe brakes. I would say look for ones with multiple adjust washers which allow for better setting of toe in and setup.
https://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Mount...s%2C844&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Sup...%2C2074&sr=8-5
Old 04-16-23, 07:54 AM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron
Lots of great info guys! Thank you.
I was just curious, not buying or selling. I am actually kind of glad to know it was low end when new. Now I won't feel bad for modifying it as needed.
A very informative conversation. I have a '78 Traveler III that I just finished refurbing. It was part of a lot of twenty five 10/12 spds that I purchased from a local non-profit. Aside from a good cleaning and repacking bearings, I had to replace the shifter cables, tires (which were included with the purchased lot) and bar tape. As the frame is too large for me, I will be selling this one. When I started the rehab, my gut feelings was it would be worth $50-$100 when finished. This thread confirms it.

Old 04-16-23, 09:33 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That bike looks pretty well cleaned up to me. I think if you post it for sale as a mostly restored vintage bike you'll find someone willing to pay $150 or more. In 2018 i was trying to find the value of this bike and saw one on Ebay for over $400. I dunno if it sold but all it takes is one nostalgic old guy who has to have that exact bike and can't find one elsewhere.

My only comments are kinda nit picky:
1. the handlebar angle doesn't match the pictures in the Schwinn catalog
2. Rear reflector missing (if i end up scrapping my bike i could send you mine if you want)

my bike currently has:
1. broken rear axle (with 730 miles on it after breaking)
2. right rear bearing cup fractured into 4 pieces from extreme overheating (discolored bearing balls)
3. Broken rear derailleur b-spring (so my chain sags when i use the small chain ring)
4. Missing seat post shim (but a tuna can lid bent around the post is working fine)
5. The quill stem broke from being extended too far past the barely visible limit mark. Seems to still work fine though after lowering a bit.
6. My sweatpants went thru the front derailleur. I bent it back but it's still pretty mangled and doesn't shift well.

so the value is probably down to $25 or less. Maybe even negative if i have to pay someone to haul it away. I was considering replacing the back wheel but the bike still functions. I've been waiting for the rear wheel to fail completely in a way that makes the it un-rideable but it hasn't happened. There's a ton of lateral play and occasionally a clicking noise but it still rides fine, not too much resistance or anything.

after exceeding 700 miles I'm seriously starting to wonder if axles are optional on a bike like this.

I've been applying for the Denver ebike rebate. If I get one I'll probably donate this bike back to the non-profit I got it from (free in exchange for 8 hours of volunteering).

happy trails
Old 04-16-23, 05:17 PM
retlaw53 
Volunteer wrench

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Suburan, 1971 Peugoet UO8, 1984 Nishiki Cresta, 1984 Nishiki Olympic, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport, 1996 Waterford 1250, 2018 Cannondale Synaspe Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron
That bike looks pretty well cleaned up to me. I think if you post it for sale as a mostly restored vintage bike you'll find someone willing to pay $150 or more. In 2018 i was trying to find the value of this bike and saw one on Ebay for over $400. I dunno if it sold but all it takes is one nostalgic old guy who has to have that exact bike and can't find one elsewhere.

My only comments are kinda nit picky:
1. the handlebar angle doesn't match the pictures in the Schwinn catalog
2. Rear reflector missing (if i end up scrapping my bike i could send you mine if you want)

my bike currently has:
1. broken rear axle (with 730 miles on it after breaking)
2. right rear bearing cup fractured into 4 pieces from extreme overheating (discolored bearing balls)
3. Broken rear derailleur b-spring (so my chain sags when i use the small chain ring)
4. Missing seat post shim (but a tuna can lid bent around the post is working fine)
5. The quill stem broke from being extended too far past the barely visible limit mark. Seems to still work fine though after lowering a bit.
6. My sweatpants went thru the front derailleur. I bent it back but it's still pretty mangled and doesn't shift well.

so the value is probably down to $25 or less. Maybe even negative if i have to pay someone to haul it away. I was considering replacing the back wheel but the bike still functions. I've been waiting for the rear wheel to fail completely in a way that makes the it un-rideable but it hasn't happened. There's a ton of lateral play and occasionally a clicking noise but it still rides fine, not too much resistance or anything.

after exceeding 700 miles I'm seriously starting to wonder if axles are optional on a bike like this.

I've been applying for the Denver ebike rebate. If I get one I'll probably donate this bike back to the non-profit I got it from (free in exchange for 8 hours of volunteering).

happy trails

It has a rear reflector now. It's been laying on the bench