Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Cresta GT & Univega Supra Sport

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 07:28 PM
Cdmccorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

In great shape, all major components original. Bikes were barely ridden and are in excellent working order.
clean, small nicks here and there from storage, we’re apparently stored outside for 2 months under a tarp but other than that, garaged.

size small or xs.

Old 04-07-23, 05:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very nice job with the pics but a drive side pic (showing crank and derailleurs) is very helpful. The used bike market, at least where I live in central IA, has really slowed down. I suspect everyone bought a used bike during COVID and now there just isn't much demand for old bikes. I'm seeing bikes of similar quality and vintage on the local FB market that simply aren't moving. I have a friend who rehabs old bikes to sell (it's his retirement hobby). He does excellent work and has reasonable prices. Nothing has moved for him this year.

I'll value the Univega at $150 and the Nishiki at $200. The Nishiki is a tough one to price as touring bikes command a premium but the small size makes it a tough sell. I suspect most of the posters will come in higher than I did especially on the Nishiki but I know I could buy locally a similar quality (or better) bike for this price or less. There's just a glut of bikes out there and demand seems to have fallen off the cliff.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-07-23, 09:16 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,770 Times in 635 Posts
I would agree the Nishiki is a tough one to price and get full value out off. It's a extra small touring bike with DT shifters which really limits likely buyers. I would say $250 or so on a local sale and expect it to take a while to sell. I would agree on the $150 or so for the Univega large frame DT shifter bikes just aren't moving in most markets unless there top end.at a good price. Ounce your go much more than $200 there are as said a lot of better bikes for buyers to choose from in most markets.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-07-23, 10:33 AM
Cdmccorm

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the input!
I’m adding a couple photos of the drive side for the Nishiki.

I’m thinking of just selling for a good deal to a friend, I have to clear room for another bike I have my eye on 😄

Old 04-07-23, 05:05 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Wow the Nishiki drive train looks great and has some pretty pricey parts. I Think your idea to sell to a friend is a good idea. The other way to get full value would be to part it out and sell online likely $100 maybe more for the shift group with triple pulley DR, $125 for the crank set with BB (the dust caps are worth $25), $40 for the freewheel, $25 for the seat post and $150 for the frame set. It would be great to a bike this nice find a good home rather then get parted out.
Old 04-08-23, 10:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
The Supra Sport is nothing special, is going to need a thorough refresh. $50 max in my market. The Crests is better. I paid $80 for the last one I got, but its a $250 to $275 bike in an average market.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 04-09-23, 05:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
The Supra Sport is nothing special, is going to need a thorough refresh. $50 max in my market. The Crests is better. I paid $80 for the last one I got, but its a $250 to $275 bike in an average market.
This is tangential to the thread, but has your local market slowed down? I know--both from my experience and that of friends--that the local market in central Iowa appears to have crashed. My guess is that so many people bought used bikes during COVID that there just isn't much demand at this point. Plus most folks are still pricing their bikes high.
Old 04-09-23, 09:07 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
..., $125 for the crank set with BB (the dust caps are worth $25), ....

If clean Sugino VP are bringing that kind of money, it's time for me to cash out some of my collection.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 04-09-23, 04:11 PM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
If clean Sugino VP are bringing that kind of money, it's time for me to cash out some of my collection.
This one does get a big premium because it has nice clean rings, dust caps and bolts with nice chrome.
Old 04-11-23, 03:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I've sold quite a few cranksets in the last six months, and I am not getting the prices mentioned above. And they are not selling fast. Almost everything bike wise has softened up.

The one above has a cycloid middle ring, basically Suginos version of biopace. Any of that style gets lower prices.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-17-23, 07:35 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
So the size is what 52cm?
Old 04-17-23, 10:17 AM
zukahn1 

Based on the minimum length head tube I would ques it is about 50cm pretty much the smallest you can go with 700c wheels and standard geometry.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-18-23, 05:07 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
The crankset on the Cresta is likely 165mm. In my experience vintage 165mm triples can bring surprisingly higher prices, with or without rings.

Old 04-19-23, 09:22 AM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
The crankset on the Cresta is likely 165mm. In my experience vintage 165mm triples can bring surprisingly higher prices, with or without rings.
Yes 165mm do bring a bit of a premium there are a lot of nice 170mm triples off old MTB's to be had while nice 165mm triples that go nicely with road or touring bikes a harder to find.