Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Age of my vintage Raleigh Record

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 06:33 PM
Codys311

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PH-10, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe, 1996 GT Outpost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age of my vintage Raleigh Record

I am restoring a 30+ year old Raleigh Record, and would like to know the year of manufacture. I have heard that this date will be stamped onto the bottom bracket. However, the crankset is held together with cotter pins, and I'd really rather not run the risk of bending/breaking the pins just to have a quick look at the bracket. Does anyone know of another way to find the bike's manufacture date, or at least an estimated date? Thanks.
Old 05-29-09, 06:50 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Codys311
I am restoring a 30+ year old Raleigh Record, and would like to know the year of manufacture. I have heard that this date will be stamped onto the bottom bracket. However, the crankset is held together with cotter pins, and I'd really rather not run the risk of bending/breaking the pins just to have a quick look at the bracket. Does anyone know of another way to find the bike's manufacture date, or at least an estimated date? Thanks.
Photos, please.

That aside, the serial number should provide the info you need. There's a thread somewhere on this forum that decodes the Raleigh S/Ns.

Also, check out the catalogs at Retro Raleighs.
Old 05-29-09, 07:57 PM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Restoring a 30+ year old bike doesn't include overhauling the bottom bracket? Anyway, like Blue Order suggests, the S/N should be good enough. My Record had the S/N on the BB shell. I also found most of the components were marked with mfg dates.
Old 05-30-09, 03:56 PM
Codys311

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PH-10, 1986 Panasonic Touring Deluxe, 1996 GT Outpost

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so to answer your question knoregs, I wasn't planning on overhauling any parts of this bike that are in good shape, which includes the bottom bracket. If you think this is a big mistake, let me know...I'm still a little new at this. Also, I've attached a photo of the bike. Sorry the quality sucks, but I'm too poor to buy a decent camera.
I re-scoured the bike armed with some new information and found the serial number on the seat post tube lug. It is 2978863. From what I've read, this indicates that the bike was manufactured in 1972 (based on the fist digit of the S/N). Am I correct on my thinking on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
n15934206_40651709_6559.jpg (28.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-31-09, 03:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Big mistake to not overhaul a 30 year old bike's bottom bracket. Grease is likely to be solidified molasses. Do a search on cotter pin removal, its not that tough if you are careful.

As far as bike date, just look up the component codes on the derailleurs. See the vintage Trek site for details. Whether the bike is as 1971, 1972 or 1973 should have little impact on value. The Raleigh Record was a low end bike, but they do have a classic look. If you plan to resell it, you need to be very careful on what you spend on it.