Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 11:51 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Next time we do the C&V ride, we should start from that stop sign on Alpine and Corte Madera, and see who can achieve the highest Vmax.
Downhill speed records are so meh. My highest speed on the Corte Madera down hill is 35.6 mph, coasting without getting aero. The "KOM" speed is 61.7 mph, set by a woman. I call shenanigans.

Hope you're all stopping at the stop sign.

Last edited by terrymorse; 03-09-24 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-09-24, 12:01 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Okay. What makes climbing out of the saddle more difficult for heavier riders?
Here’s a thought. I’m an 80kg rider. If I wear a 16kg ruck vest when I ride, I will have 20% more total work climbing a hill against the conservative force of gravity (neglecting bike weight).

There is also an “overhead” of work required (core and upper body at least) working to stabilize the body on the bike while standing. So if I add the ruck vest, I’m also increasing that overhead, presumably by 20%. The same difference would also be there for a rider my height and fitness who was carrying an 16 kg.

Since that overhead increases and detracts from the fraction of total work I’m doing that is moving the bike, it makes it less practical to spend that energy on standing and makes it preferable to sit and be more efficient.

There may also an effect if the extra weight is due to adipose tissue versus say greater height, since a similar musculature is trying to stabilize more weight.

In the climbing context there is also that effect of power as a function of mass, which published data indicate is about 0.7 for athlete of similar level of conditioning. So the available power doesn’t keep up with the climbing work as a rider gets heavier. Another pressure to seek maximum efficiency.

Otto
Old 03-09-24, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Downhill speed records are so meh. My highest speed on the Corte Madera down hill is 35.6 mph, lasting without getting aero. The "KOM" speed is 61.7 mph, set by a woman. I call shenanigans.
Alpine from Willowbrook to Arastradero is part of my Sunday route, so every Sunday, I stop at Corte Madera. I aim to hit 30 mph by the time I hit the intersection at Indian Crossing, then tuck and coast to Portola, to see how fast I can go. 35 is easy, I can hit that on any of my bikes. The Canyon can hit 38.5, easily.

Generally I'm damn close to a complete stop there, even if I'm NOT stopping to refill at the tap there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-09-24, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Generally I'm damn close to a complete stop there, even if I'm NOT stopping to refill at the tap there.
Good habit, and always look left for the sheriff's deputy car. Many tickets have been handed out there.

Old 03-09-24, 12:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Good habit, and always look left for the sheriff's deputy car. Many tickets have been handed out there.
I haven't seen one there, but I've heard about that, so I always look left there, even when going straight. Mind you, I watched the entire Spectrum ride - midsummer, so a LOT of riders! - pour through that intersection from Portola without even slowing. Even stragglers, seconds after the peloton had passed! Taking their lives in their hands, those stragglers - cars on Alpine were starting to roll.

Old 03-09-24, 12:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
So, here's the thing - it really doesn't matter whether I can explain the observation. The observation doesn't require that I be able to explain it for it to be true.
That's where physics is a useful tool.
Old 03-09-24, 12:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's where physics is a useful tool.
I'm perfectly happy with the observation. I don't really care all that much about the explanation.

Old 03-09-24, 01:10 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by ofajen
Here’s a thought. I’m an 80kg rider. If I wear a 16kg ruck vest when I ride, I will have 20% more total work climbing a hill against the conservative force of gravity (neglecting bike weight).

There is also an “overhead” of work required (core and upper body at least) working to stabilize the body on the bike while standing. So if I add the ruck vest, I’m also increasing that overhead, presumably by 20%. The same difference would also be there for a rider my height and fitness who was carrying an 16 kg.

Since that overhead increases and detracts from the fraction of total work I’m doing that is moving the bike, it makes it less practical to spend that energy on standing and makes it preferable to sit and be more efficient.

There may also an effect if the extra weight is due to adipose tissue versus say greater height, since a similar musculature is trying to stabilize more weight.

In the climbing context there is also that effect of power as a function of mass, which published data indicate is about 0.7 for athlete of similar level of conditioning. So the available power doesn’t keep up with the climbing work as a rider gets heavier. Another pressure to seek maximum efficiency.

Otto
Yes, that's another issue. Inefficiencies of this type can hurt a heavier rider more than a lighter rider, but only if the inefficiencies are significant and they scale with mass in a meaningful way. I think the jury is still out on that. (The linked article found no measurable inefficiency while standing: "Their metabolic measures such as VO2 and heart rate did not differ between seated and standing climbing positions.")

All of my posts have addressed the idea that lifting one's body weight while standing penalizes heavier riders. You introduced the idea of conservative forces, which makes it obvious that lifting the body weight isn't an issue. When you lift the body during the pedal stoke, it increases the potential energy of the body briefly, before some of it gets swapped out for increased potential energy of the bike.
Old 03-09-24, 01:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
It depends on the hill

Eons ago, I developed the concept of "bite size" hills, modeled on the concept of bite size candy bars you pop into your mouth, rather than biting off sections. So, a bite size hill is attacked and (hopefully) topped before you crap out.

While I've always been a decent climber, I don't enjoy doing so. So when I approach a hill I'll decide whether it's bite-sized, and if so, I'll take it like a sprinter, otherwise like a distance runner.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-09-24, 01:19 PM
tomato coupe

I'm perfectly happy with the observation. I don't really care all that much about the explanation.
That's your prerogative, of course. But, I'd rather know if some riders stand because it's just their preference, or whether there is a scientific reason for it.
Old 03-09-24, 01:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I believe that story usually attributes the "spin big gears" comment to Eddy Merckx, not Andy Hampsten.
I heard it attributed to Hampsten. It was probably actually first said by Alfredo Binda or maybe Maurice Garin.
Old 03-09-24, 01:26 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Next time we do the C&V ride, we should start from that stop sign on Alpine and Corte Madera, and see who can achieve the highest Vmax.
If we both start from a dead stop and just coast, my money is on me. Let's not sully the results by introducing unfair factors such as pedaling ability . . . .
Old 03-09-24, 01:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
If we both start from a dead stop and just coast, my money is on me. Let's not sully the results by introducing unfair factors such as pedaling ability . . . .
Do not overlook the aerodynamic advantage of a smaller frontal area. You're a couple inches taller than me!

Old 03-09-24, 01:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's your prerogative, of course. But, I'd rather know if some riders stand because it's just their preference, or whether there is a scientific reason for it.
The personal preference to remain seated skews heavily toward the heavy, and I personally have always found climbing out of the saddle to be more tiring than climbing in the saddle, and yet a number of the best climbers* in the pro peloton do long sections of climbs standing, which they surely would not do if they, too, found it more tiring to stand than sit.

So, there IS a scientific explanation. We - meaning you and I - haven't identified it. Others may well have done.

*generally little spidery guys.

Old 03-09-24, 01:44 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
I grind, 100%. My cassette is 11-28, with 52-42-30 chainrings. It takes a couple of hours on the bike first, or a grade of at least 10% probably 15%, to get me into the 30t chainring. Overall average speed is around 16 mph, so I'm not spinning 800+ watts to do those gears.

2 observations:

1. It takes energy to move your legs, regardless of how much force you're putting out. More fat or muscle on your legs increases internal resistance, therefore lighter (thinner) athletes will be relatively more efficient spinning than grinding, while heavier (fatter) athletes will be relatively more efficient grinding than spinning. I'm definitely on the heavier side for cyclists at about 5'9" 190 lbs.

2. Most cyclists are running gearing that is too narrow. Base your calculations on max and min speeds, not average. I want to pedal both up a 20% grade into a 30 mph headwind (1.5 mph?) and turn around and pedal down the same (65-70 mph?). That means for similar cadence I should have a gear range of about 4500%, not the 500+% bike companies like to talk about. If you're spending more than 1-2% of your riding time in either your biggest or your smallest gear, you have the wrong gears.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 03-09-24, 02:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
All of my posts have addressed the idea that lifting one's body weight while standing penalizes heavier riders. You introduced the idea of conservative forces, which makes it obvious that lifting the body weight isn't an issue. When you lift the body during the pedal stoke, it increases the potential energy of the body briefly, before some of it gets swapped out for increased potential energy of the bike.
I would tend to agree that the overhead from standing has to do extra effort of peripheral musculature in stabilizing the body while doing the work. The up and down parts up a climb will tend to cancel out.

Otto
Old 03-09-24, 02:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
sounds terrible lol.

as someone who lives on a very steep hill and doesn’t drive, my usual strategy is to do the “easiest” thing. This means zig-zagging up the hill while seated, using as little energy as possible, or going out of the saddle and finding a rhythm, which is kind of difficult at low powers. I feel that standing is better for your knees.

if I’m trying to go as fast as I can up a hill, I stay seated if the climb is longer than 20 seconds.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 03-09-24, 02:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
sounds terrible lol.

as someone who lives on a very steep hill and doesn’t drive, my usual strategy is to do the “easiest” thing. This means zig-zagging up the hill while seated, using as little energy as possible, or going out of the saddle and finding a rhythm, which is kind of difficult at low powers. I feel that standing is better for your knees.

if I’m trying to go as fast as I can up a hill, I stay seated if the climb is longer than 20 seconds.
Dude - Corte Madera to Portola on Alpine is a DESCENT. About 0.35 miles of - 6.4%

Old 03-09-24, 02:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by One Wheel
I grind, 100%. My cassette is 11-28, with 52-42-30 chainrings. It takes a couple of hours on the bike first, or a grade of at least 10% probably 15%, to get me into the 30t chainring. Overall average speed is around 16 mph, so I'm not spinning 800+ watts to do those gears.

2 observations:

1. It takes energy to move your legs, regardless of how much force you're putting out. More fat or muscle on your legs increases internal resistance, therefore lighter (thinner) athletes will be relatively more efficient spinning than grinding, while heavier (fatter) athletes will be relatively more efficient grinding than spinning. I'm definitely on the heavier side for cyclists at about 5'9" 190 lbs.

2. Most cyclists are running gearing that is too narrow. Base your calculations on max and min speeds, not average. I want to pedal both up a 20% grade into a 30 mph headwind (1.5 mph?) and turn around and pedal down the same (65-70 mph?). That means for similar cadence I should have a gear range of about 4500%, not the 500+% bike companies like to talk about. If you're spending more than 1-2% of your riding time in either your biggest or your smallest gear, you have the wrong gears.
Or move someplace flatter.

Old 03-09-24, 05:04 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Downhill speed records are so meh. My highest speed on the Corte Madera down hill is 35.6 mph, coasting without getting aero.
Okay, I rode that segment today, because that top speed was pretty lame. I did an out-of-the-saddle sprint until I ran out of gears, sat down and spun out at 125 cadence.

New highest speed: 40.8 mph. 7th place on the old people's leader board (65+). Might be my maximum, given my weight handicap.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-09-24, 05:12 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Or move someplace flatter.
Flatter ground doesn't require as wide of a range, true. Most current gearing options are probably adequate for flat areas.
Old 03-09-24, 05:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

So you are hitting 70 mph on 20% descents hey. I seriously doubt it unless you are a top pro descender on a closed road.

But I kind of agree with your point. Most people don’t have a low enough gear for steep climbs at a comfortable cadence. I have a 1:1 lowest gear and that becomes a total grindfest above 15% gradient. Old-school gearing is even worse.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-09-24, 05:49 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
sounds terrible lol.

I have done the zig zag to catch a break and continue uphill without getting off to walk. After a few zigs and zags I will resume my attack on the hill.
Old 03-09-24, 05:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I eat grinders whilst I spin

Passing seated people pushing high gears on a climb and obviously suffering makes me want yell out, go to a lower gear. But then there bike may be in the lowest, or they are working on doing some leg strengthening. Or maybe they are dumb a=@$$e$. But gear down anyway!

Last edited by rsbob; 03-09-24 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-09-24, 06:45 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts

2 observations:

I didn't know Wisconsin was full of 20% grade climbs long enough to hit 65-70mph on? I live in a pretty mountainous area, so I'll be happy with my 1:1 climbing ratio and learn to live with spinning out a compact crank at only 40mph.
Likes For Sierra_rider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.