Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 11:27 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
The thing about sealant is that while it's great and does prevent flats to an extent, it's not bulletproof. You do sometimes flat with sealant, which is why many people riding tubeless carry a spare tube in case their sealant and/or plug fails them. So if you do flat you just put a tube in and go on riding.
Now you tell me! Just converted my new-to-me Shiv to tubeless and had a puncture today the sealant wouldn't plug. Nor would the plug kit plug. Had to use my "phone a friend" option. Walked two miles before he picked me up, the whole time thinking "I probably should carry a spare tube just for **** like this."
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-12-24, 11:30 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Now you tell me! Just converted my new-to-me Shiv to tubeless and had a puncture today the sealant wouldn't plug. Nor would the plug kit plug. Had to use my "phone a friend" option. Walked two miles before he picked me up, the whole time thinking "I probably should carry a spare tube just for **** like this."
Was that dynaplugs? They’ve only failed me once

Did you rotate the wheel to pool the sealant at the bottom with the hole? I always find that helps a lot.
Old 03-13-24, 10:06 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by choddo
Was that dynaplugs? They’ve only failed me once

Did you rotate the wheel to pool the sealant at the bottom with the hole? I always find that helps a lot.
Not Dynaplug. The problem was there was a second puncture that was right at the edge of the rim. I couldn't really tell until I got the tire home and pulled off the wheel. I did not try rotating it down although the holes were almost exactly 180* from the valve so just the act of attempting to fill the tire with my CO2 cartridge had the tire positioned so the holes were at the bottom.

Still new to tubeless so not really well versed on all the tips and tricks.
Old 03-13-24, 10:21 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I ask the judges - is "gold card" an acceptable substitute for "platinum card" on the Tubular Loon Bingo card?
Gold card is the peasant card.

Centurian Card is the high roller's choice.
Old 03-13-24, 11:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Gold card is the peasant card.

Centurian Card is the high roller's choice.
If you can get a Centurion card invite, you’re probably not concerned with wheel cost.
Old 03-13-24, 11:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Tip: Buy non-tubeless tires, install a tube, pump to desired pressure.

Trick: Never think about tubeless again.

Old 03-13-24, 12:18 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Tip: Buy non-tubeless tires, install a tube, pump to desired pressure.

Trick: Never think about tubeless again.
Clearly, you have not been keeping up with my life on this forum. The main reason I'm trying tubeless is I'm tired of single-handedly keeping tube manufacturers in business. I was getting punctures so often, I started to hate riding. Well, not riding. I enjoy the ride. It was always the inevitable roadside tube change I seemed to be performing on every single damn ride I went on.
Old 03-13-24, 12:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Clearly, you have not been keeping up with my life on this forum. The main reason I'm trying tubeless is I'm tired of single-handedly keeping tube manufacturers in business. I was getting punctures so often, I started to hate riding. Well, not riding. I enjoy the ride. It was always the inevitable roadside tube change I seemed to be performing on every single damn ride I went on.
And now you have a data point suggesting that tubeless won't solve your puncture problem, either.

Old 03-13-24, 12:39 PM
VegasJen

And now you have a data point suggesting that tubeless won't solve your puncture problem, either.
And that may be true. However, I did make it considerably further on this last ride than on many, many previous rides before a puncture. Could be total luck of the draw. Or it could be tubeless offeres higher resistance, but not invulnerability, to punctures. One data point is not enough from which to draw a conclusion.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-13-24, 12:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Clearly, you have not been keeping up with my life on this forum.
Funny.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-13-24, 12:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Better roads are clearly the answer.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-13-24, 01:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Tubeless solved my puncture problems. So there’s another data point.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-13-24, 01:03 PM
VegasJen

Better roads are clearly the answer.
That would be ideal. But it's a trade off. I like living where I live now. Honestly, this problem is about the biggest drawback to living in a small, rural community.
Old 03-13-24, 01:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
That would be ideal. But it's a trade off. I like living where I live now. Honestly, this problem is about the biggest drawback to living in a small, rural community.
There are lots of cyclists in small, rural communities that aren't plagued by flats.
Old 03-13-24, 01:49 PM
choddo

Not Dynaplug. The problem was there was a second puncture that was right at the edge of the rim. I couldn't really tell until I got the tire home and pulled off the wheel. I did not try rotating it down although the holes were almost exactly 180* from the valve so just the act of attempting to fill the tire with my CO2 cartridge had the tire positioned so the holes were at the bottom.

sounds like maybe it was a pinch type flat? I’ve had a sidewall hole I couldn’t explain before. Maybe similar.

Definitely get some dynaplugs. They are amazing. Have run a tyre with two of those in it for months.
Old 03-13-24, 02:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

It's not a drawback in my small, rural community.
Old 03-13-24, 03:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Had to use my "phone a friend" option.
Clearly, you have not been keeping up with my life on this forum.
Well, we are all glad that you are now finally riding with a mobile phone, albeit reluctantly.
Old 03-13-24, 03:34 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by choddo
sounds like maybe it was a pinch type flat? I’ve had a sidewall hole I couldn’t explain before. Maybe similar.

Definitely get some dynaplugs. They are amazing. Have run a tyre with two of those in it for months.
It absolutely looks like a snake bite, but I don't believe it was the original source for my loss of pressure. I ensured pressure was correct before I left in the morning and had just checked pressure by hand less than 30 minutes before this happened.

I have a theory that I had a puncture I did not feel that caused me to lose some air and shortly after that I hit something that caused this. This was on a long descent where I was maintaining 20+mph just by coasting so I was very much paying attention to how the bike felt.
It's not a drawback in my small, rural community.
Poorly maintained roads are definitely a drawback here.
Old 03-13-24, 03:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Declaring that a person gets flats on these forums is the ultimate excuse for victim blaming. Forget any context regarding the situation surrounding the flat or those blessed individuals who never get flats and judge those who do. Some of us like riding on more supple performance tires for their ride quality as well as lively feel, while those who are flat adverse enjoy their dead garden hose tires. Even if there is a bit of a learning curve with Tubeless, which currently is minimal at best, I will take that any day of the week over the alternatives.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-13-24, 09:29 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Doesn't matter to me what people use, I just think it's asinine that some wheel makers are adament everyone should be on tubeless hookless rims. The cycling industry seems really fixated on removing options and choices. I don't know why, I feel cycling is a hobby and hobbies are more fun with choices and variations. Mechanical vs Electric, Rim vs Disc, Tubeless/Tube/Tub, clincher/hookless, I don't see why industry can provide the choices and let the rider choose. I get if if someone is capable they are able to find what they want, but just browsing a local shop, all the road bikes are the same regardless of brand, they all look the same too.
Old 03-13-24, 10:35 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Doesn't matter to me what people use, I just think it's asinine that some wheel makers are adament everyone should be on tubeless hookless rims. The cycling industry seems really fixated on removing options and choices. I don't know why, I feel cycling is a hobby and hobbies are more fun with choices and variations. Mechanical vs Electric, Rim vs Disc, Tubeless/Tube/Tub, clincher/hookless, I don't see why industry can provide the choices and let the rider choose. I get if if someone is capable they are able to find what they want, but just browsing a local shop, all the road bikes are the same regardless of brand, they all look the same too.
Trek's recent reset had a prominent goal of reducing SKUs.

"Any color you want, as long as it's black."
Old 03-13-24, 11:24 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Well, we are all glad that you are now finally riding with a mobile phone, albeit reluctantly.
I appreciate your sentiment but I assure you this will not become a normal occurrence for me. I knew this was going to be a longer than normal training ride. And I knew there was the potential for being stranded (or injured) as much as 20 miles away from my ride.

For my normal training rides of <30 miles in which I'm never more than 15 miles from home and rarely more than 5 miles from town, I have no intention of carrying my phone. I know most of you can't fathom that but I reject my eLeash as much and as often as I can.
Old 03-14-24, 01:20 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I appreciate your sentiment but I assure you this will not become a normal occurrence for me. I knew this was going to be a longer than normal training ride. And I knew there was the potential for being stranded (or injured) as much as 20 miles away from my ride.

For my normal training rides of <30 miles in which I'm never more than 15 miles from home and rarely more than 5 miles from town, I have no intention of carrying my phone. I know most of you can't fathom that but I reject my eLeash as much and as often as I can.
Mine is an iLeash, but at least it can be disabled via its power button.
Old 03-14-24, 02:07 AM
choddo

You are clearly a very capable and self-reliant individual so I think it’s entirely down to your own preferences and I kind of get the appeal of the sense of freedom. Personally I find them indispensable and it’s the one thing I never forget when I leave the house.

The work phone never comes anywhere with me at the weekend though.
Old 03-14-24, 04:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

Just switch it off or into privacy mode while you ride. That one time you might just need it could be life saving or at the very least save you some unnecessary hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.