Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sun Sleeves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-23, 08:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I tried some once and found they made me feel warmer, but a lightweight long sleeve jersey worked better and was cooler. Ultimately, I just decided to stick with short sleeves.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-01-23, 09:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I wore them when I lived and rode in west Texas - arms and legs. Along with a drape off the back of my helmet. I felt they were cooler than direct sun, which was brutal. Also wore a baseball cap under my helmet to provide some face protection. I still used sunscreen on all exposed skin, of course.

I have a bit of scarring on my neck from one full day of west Texas sun, where I missed a sliver of skin with the sunscreen.
Old 07-02-23, 06:44 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5473 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I've started wearing sun sleeves this year and like them better than anything I've tried so far. They are cooler than any long sleeve shirt or jersey. I got some cheap compression sleeves from Walmart.
Old 07-02-23, 02:17 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I wore them often when I lived in Bangkok (not for biking specifically-- just for being out and about). There you can buy them in any 7-11 or similar, in several colors. I found they didn't make me that much hotter (and trust me, I'm not one of those people who finds it cooler to cover up-- if my skin isn't bare, I'm hotter) but I felt more protected from the sun. Wetting them down made me feel cooler. And they were lightweight, so when I didn't want them, I just pushed them down to my wrists.
Old 07-02-23, 02:22 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Why not wear a long sleeve bike jersey? For years I wore a lightweight cotton long sleeve men's workshirt on long tours and it worked very well. I would roll the sleeves down in the flats or on downhill sections and roll them up when grinding up a long grade.

Be aware that the darker fabrics provide a great deal more UV protection and best to avoid white fabrics in particular. UV also is greatest when the sun is highest so riding earlier or later in the day will reduce the amount of radiation you receive. Also the stated SPF on clothing is rubbish and not to be relied upon.

Protect your eyes as well with sunglasses that block UV A and UV B rays. Prolonged UV exposure can lead to cataracts as many sailors have learned too late.
Old 07-06-23, 02:05 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I mostly just slather sunscreen on and that works perfectly, but sun sleeves are only marginally hotter than bare skin for me and work well. If you get them wet the cooling effect is quite good.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 07-06-23, 06:45 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
I mostly just slather sunscreen on and that works perfectly, but sun sleeves are only marginally hotter than bare skin for me and work well. If you get them wet the cooling effect is quite good.
Yep! I wet down my buff and sun sleeves to cool down.
I have to make an appt with a dermatologist soon for what looks like a basal cell growth on my left leg above the sock line.
I need to investigate lightweight UPF leg sleeves or longer socks as well.
Old 07-10-23, 05:35 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Just chiming in to report that my sun sleeves have been awesome in the sun and overcast days.
I won't ride anywhere without them now.......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 07-12-23, 01:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
SPF sunscreens are far less effective in blockintg UV rays than cloth. A SPF lotion is rated for two hours of protection and no sweating. I prefer clothing that allows perspiration to pass through the fabric and is a tight enough weave to block as much UV as possible. It is also prudent to avoid as much as possible the peak UV hours during the middle of the day.

The only bad sunburns I have experienced from long rides was on the tops of my hands where the gloves did not cover them and on the top of my head with a scalp burn in the days before bike helmets became available. In bright sun on long rides I now wear cheap cotton gardening gloves over my bike gloves in the spring before my skin has tanned.

Bare forearms allow my body core to cool but so does pulling down the bike jersey zipper and in hot weather I wear jersies with full length zippers. My lightweight bike jackets have removable sleeves so when it warms up it can be quickly turned into a vest.
Old 07-12-23, 01:05 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I tried them.
The High Humidity kept them wet all the time, so they didn't cool.
The should cool better when wet. In point of fact, I spray mine down when I get hot, and get 10-15 minutes of extra cooling.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-12-23, 02:42 PM
Rick J R

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spray them with cold water when I start the ride and one of my bottles has iced water so I squirt some cold water on them when I get hot. I do not sweat much so can’t depend on cooling effect from evaporating sweat. Currently trying to figure out how to carry a small spray bottle with partially frozen water to spray my sun sleeves and neck during the rides in temps above 90 degrees. Would be great to put a spray top on my insulated bottle
Old 07-12-23, 04:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
How about some specific product recommendations!
Old 07-13-23, 02:36 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I've tried a few over the years and find that they tend to stretch or wear out over time so I just buy whatever is cheap every now and then.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-14-23, 11:49 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Beister Arm Sleeves - good elastic at top and several sizes available - bought 2 pairs last summer and they have held up to frequent wearing and about 20 wash cycles - ignore the dopey 'BIKE' graphic! Pay attention to the sizing guide - snug fit - about $11 per pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Co...s%2C321&sr=8-3
Likes For jlaw:
Old 07-14-23, 12:07 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I recently purchased these LEG sleeves - qood quality fabric and elastic at the top - with knee length summer shorts they will cover thigh to ankle while riding - BUT these only come in one size - will fit slim to medium build - camo colors are fun. 4 pairs for $20!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09QR...b_b_asin_title

Old 07-14-23, 03:22 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Hard to ignore openly fugly.
Old 07-14-23, 08:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Bright white is the only thing and PI make very good ones. There ya go.
Old 07-15-23, 12:41 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
I looked at the LBS ones and they were so dumb. Like slimy silk tube socks with a strap on top. And over $30 I think. Pffft
My first highway ride this year was a too long 92 sunny miles, so I fried my arms by the bend. Took 2 weeks to get better. I did try to minimize exposure by putting one arm around my back a few miles. Used to do that anyway to grind out the miles.

So all the hwy rides since I pulled a pair of fleecy cotton socks on, that I purposely bought an extra large size. Cut off the toe part. So the heel snuggs my elbow perfectly.
Temps went from 60 to 82. Didn't bother my arms at all really. I've done the same for warmth on cold days with or without a light summer jacket. Those wool socks made my arms hot and sweaty in no time. Done the same with my legs in the winter.