Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maximum Human Torque II

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Maximum Human Torque II

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 03:25 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Individuals have the right to choose a gear ratio that works for them, and there is no objective, absolute best ratio for a given hill. Some guys do better mashing a high gear at lower RPM, and others prefer to spin fast, with less force. As a rule of thumb, however, an RPM range of around 60 to 90 (maybe as high as 100) is the most efficient for an adult human. This is simply because of our physiology and muscle function. If the OP's son chooses to disregard this fact, he's putting himself at a disadvantage. The explanation for gear choice making a difference in hill climbing has to do with leverage. We get mechanical advantage from the bike's drivetrain, which makes it possible to turn the crank with a level of force and RPM rate that are efficient for our bodies.

It works the same way for other physical tasks. Say you want to move 100 lbs. of stuff from the floor to a table. It's possible for most of us to do it in one shot, but I'd prefer to make 3 to 5 trips of 20 to 33 lbs. each. Sure, it will require more movement, but my body has less of a problem with that than with lifting 100 lbs. I would not want to make 20 trips of 5 lbs. each, but nor would I want to do the full 100 at once.

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-18-23 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-18-23, 04:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Seems to me that the best way to explain this subject is to drop the person like a hot rock. Unfortunately, this isn't always possible.
Old 10-18-23, 05:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I like the simplicity of this:

Would you rather pick up a 100-lb rock 10 times, or a 25-lb rock 40 times?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-18-23, 05:53 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
@Tribikenewbie

I never look at the display on the shifter but my Daughter liked to. it helped her visually understand what numbers to use
yeah I also like the indicator, it’s what I grew up with and it’s the easiest way to keep from cross chaining. Wish road bikes didn’t move away from them. I used to know exactly what ratio I was in at all times (knew how many teeth were in my cogs) but I can’t do this on my road bikes.

OP say that the bigger gears are harder to push and make you go faster, the little gears are easy to push but are slower. Your kid should figure out that he can’t go up the hill fast
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-18-23, 06:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I had a customer that didn't think about the double crankset in terms of high/low range, but instead easy/hard. Of course, "hard" meant going up "faster"...Only he couldn't understand why his whole drivertain was destroyed from continuous and excessive cross-chaining. The idea of high and low ranges with a substantial overlap was just too much for his brain to comprehend. Perhaps it is the same with your son?

Anyway. To illustrate a point, I prefer to suggest that climbing in too low of a cadence is a lot like doing leg-presses and then ask how many leg-presses does that person think a body builder does, & how long that person thinks a body builder can sustain doing so.

Generally speaking: Your cadence and your heart rate determine the mix of muscle fiber recruitment and where your body gets it's energy from. A lighter load at a higher cadence moves the metabolic load from the wasteful fast twitch muscle fibers generally towards the faster recovering more metabolically efficient slow twitch muscle fibers providing less waste for the cardiovascular system to deal with. With time and training, mitichondrial growth will help this efficiency even further. (and this is part of the reason for training volume at sustained intensity matters.)

Not unlike like shifting your car to an easier gear when climbing a mountain pass so that the increased speed of the water pump combined with less work being performed per engine revolution can avoid overheating your engine. At least, that's the visual in my head when I think about it.

All this is to say tate the speed at which your muscles are peak efficient and the speed they get the most work done are not the same. Doing the most work is what gets you up the hills fastest.

Last edited by base2; 10-18-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-18-23, 06:35 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Neither, I'm most efficient moving 35-40 lbs...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-18-23, 09:49 PM
Tribikenewbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Okay so you were on the right lines starting with Power = Torque x rpm

The rider applies an Input Torque (Pedal Force x Crank Length) and an Input rpm (Pedal Cadence). This gives Input Power as defined in the above general equation.

The drivetrain gears convert this rider Input Power into an Output Power at the rear wheel = Wheel Torque x Wheel rpm.

Apart from minor drivetrain losses (which we can ignore for this purpose) Input Power = Output Power and the gear ratio simply determines how the Output Torque and rpm are split. A lower gear provides a higher Output Torque and lower Wheel speed for a given Input Power level. So the rider has to apply less Crank Tiorque (lower Pedal Force) to get the same Wheel Torque (same driving force at the contact patch), but at the expense of a lower Wheel Speed (since Power is a constant).

That’s the best I can simplify it with the actual physics equations included. It may be confusing. A more simple explanation is that a lower gear ratio multiplies your torque input and divides your pedal rpm. So you get more torque at the rear wheel, but at a lower speed.

awesome!! Thank you PeteHski!
Likes For Tribikenewbie:
Old 10-18-23, 09:55 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Say you want to move 100 lbs. of stuff from the floor to a table. It's possible for most of us to do it in one shot, but I'd prefer to make 3 to 5 trips of 20 to 33 lbs. each. Sure, it will require more movement, but my body has less of a problem with that than with lifting 100 lbs. I would not want to make 20 trips of 5 lbs. each, but nor would I want to do the full 100 at once.
Completely true unless I'm bringing groceries in from the car, in which case for some stupid reason I always try to make 1 trip of way too many bags.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 10-18-23, 10:16 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
Originally Posted by Tribikenewbie
So on a related note (going for 5 time zombie!! It is almost Halloween), I’m trying to explain to “a friend” (who might be my son) the physics of why he should downshift the chainring (move to a smaller front gear) and back gear (move to a bigger cog) going up long, steep hills. The empirical evidence (practically coming to a stop and falling off the bike) is apparently not proof enough. I’m thinking the simple explanation is that he doesn’t have enough strength/can’t exert enough force to drive the largest front gear when the back gear is on a smaller cog - which would give apx 4 rotations of the back wheel for a single pedal/crank rotation. What are the physics to explain this? I saw a video where a body builder rode up a hill in high gear but his time was slower that an amateur biker (who used lower gears and more rotations) and he was dead tired vs the biker. I saw in this forum that Torque x rpm = power…. I assume more power is needed to go uphill than flat …but that’s as far as I can get…I can’t translate it into the gear explanation. Please help all you physics masters!!
If you don't mind putting holes in the ceiling of your garage you could mount a single pulley and a block and tackle. Have him try lifting a 200lb weight with both and see which he liked better.

Make sure you locate the bottom chord of a truss!
Old 10-18-23, 11:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
With a taller gear you can go up the hill faster until you can't, then you slow immensely. If you try too hard, you can injure yourself.

Physics and physiology are both involved, but that's all you really need to know.
Old 10-19-23, 01:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts

Feh. I have people for that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-19-23, 01:10 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10443 Post(s)
Liked 11,920 Times in 6,104 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yeah I also like the indicator, it’s what I grew up with and it’s the easiest way to keep from cross chaining. Wish road bikes didn’t move away from them. I used to know exactly what ratio I was in at all times (knew how many teeth were in my cogs) but I can’t do this on my road bikes.

OP say that the bigger gears are harder to push and make you go faster, the little gears are easy to push but are slower. Your kid should figure out that he can’t go up the hill fast
I must have missed the time when they moved toward it.

BTW, there's an easy solution to your problem - look down.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-19-23, 05:56 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Completely true unless I'm bringing groceries in from the car, in which case for some stupid reason I always try to make 1 trip of way too many bags.
WARNING: Eggs and spagetthi sauce in glass jars always land first...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-19-23, 03:18 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by genejockey
I must have missed the time when they moved toward it.

BTW, there's an easy solution to your problem - look down.
Crude pale imitation of the great indicator
Old 10-19-23, 03:32 PM
88ss

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
If you do the math, there is no torque difference between using different size sprockets front and back for the same overall ratio. The change in the distance of the front sprocket teeth from the crank center and the corresponding change in distance from the rear sprocket teeth from the center of the rear axle exactly offset one another so there is no torque change. There is an efficiency advantage to running a smaller sprocket up front and a smaller one out back as it keeps the chain friction lower.
Old 10-19-23, 03:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Crude pale imitation of the great indicator
What's the great indicator?
Old 10-19-23, 03:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by 88ss
If you do the math, there is no torque difference between using different size sprockets front and back for the same overall ratio. The change in the distance of the front sprocket teeth from the crank center and the corresponding change in distance from the rear sprocket teeth from the center of the rear axle exactly offset one another so there is no torque change. There is an efficiency advantage to running a smaller sprocket up front and a smaller one out back as it keeps the chain friction lower.
I thought it was a break-even situation. Smalls result in fewer chain links engaged (less friction) but the links have to confirm to a smaller radius (more friction).

Some argue the more teeth solution is better because your chainrings/cassette cogs will last longer.

Not something I worry about though.
Old 10-19-23, 03:52 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
What's the great indicator?
Voice in his head?
Old 10-19-23, 04:21 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
There is an efficiency advantage to running a smaller sprocket up front and a smaller one out back as it keeps the chain friction lower.
I think the opposite is true: a bigger ring up front, and a bigger cog in the back, is more efficient.

Old 10-19-23, 04:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I think the opposite is true: a bigger ring up front, and a bigger cog in the back, is more efficient.
Correct. I think Jeff at Silca has measured this and shown that the energy loss per cog gets bigger, the smaller you go in the rear cog.

Here is an excerpt from his blog about “marginal gains”:

It may sound like grasping at the smallest of marginal gains, but it is bigger than you likely thought. A 53x11 and 48x10 gear are more or less the same ratio of 126 gear inches. While it is the same gear, the 53x11 combination is 6w faster than its smaller 48x10 competitor. If you are looking to go faster for less energy it would be logical to have the absolute biggest chainrings and largest cassette options available to you. This also will help keep a better chain line which can improve efficiency as well! Save 6w by opting for the larger chain rings.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-19-23 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-19-23, 05:12 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Some old ex racers told me once they thought when riding on the track ,big-big was better for sustained efforts at low cadence like TTs, small-small for short efforts and high cadence.
Old 10-19-23, 05:25 PM
LarrySellerz

I mean yeah it is, but that's not the reason people run big rings, people just like big rings. The efficiency thing is just an excuse
Old 10-19-23, 06:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Correct. I think Jeff at Silca has measured this and shown that the energy loss per cog gets bigger, the smaller you go in the rear cog.

Here is an excerpt from his blog about “marginal gains”:

It may sound like grasping at the smallest of marginal gains, but it is bigger than you likely thought. A 53x11 and 48x10 gear are more or less the same ratio of 126 gear inches. While it is the same gear, the 53x11 combination is 6w faster than its smaller 48x10 competitor. If you are looking to go faster for less energy it would be logical to have the absolute biggest chainrings and largest cassette options available to you. This also will help keep a better chain line which can improve efficiency as well! Save 6w by opting for the larger chain rings.

Otto
Which might explain why professionals use chainrings of 58 and 60 teeth in TT's. That way, they spend less time in their smaller, less-efficient sprockets.
Old 10-19-23, 06:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
I mean yeah it is, but that's not the reason people run big rings, people just like big rings. The efficiency thing is just an excuse
So, what is it that they like about big rings? Do big rings make their butts look smaller?
Old 10-19-23, 06:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Voice in his head?
Always works for me.

I have bikes with Ultegra and 105 Flight Deck shifters, but have never had a FlightDeck head unit.

Also have a couple with DT shifters and a couple with barend shifters, they always give you a rough idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.