Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Random Question: Highest watt output ever recorded?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Random Question: Highest watt output ever recorded?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 07:54 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I briefly hit 1300 when I was 40 years old and in good shape. I wonder what it was when I was racing in my 20s

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-18-23, 10:21 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Sweet, a zombie wang-measuring contest! In the spirit of the thread, I consistently hit a peak power of around 1400 watts. I set a PR for 10 second power this year, at 1200 watts. I wouldn't call myself a "pure" sprinter, I do best at the 30 second to 5 minute efforts. Almost hit 800 for a minute this year. I have a decent FTP(350,) but I'm heavy AF, so the watts/kg isn't so impressive. The vast majority of my rides are in the mountains, so I'm a bit jealous of the spindly climber types.

Besides the W/kg and W/CDA, I'd say that the repeatability of hard efforts is important too. Although, as a metric, it's really hard to measure. My training partner has a better w/kg FTP than me and can drop me on a long, steady climb. However, if we do a route with a bunch of short, punchy climbs, I can level the playing field somewhat.
Old 12-19-23, 12:35 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
When Usain Bolt set the 100m record, his peak 1 second power was estimated to be 2619.5 watts.

That might be the highest power produced by a human.

Or maybe not. When Hoogland set the new 1km record, his estimated peak power was “about 2700 watts”. More impressive is that he averaged 1000 watts for almost a minute.

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-19-23 at 12:40 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-19-23, 10:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Sweet, a zombie wang-measuring contest! In the spirit of the thread, I consistently hit a peak power of around 1400 watts. I set a PR for 10 second power this year, at 1200 watts. I wouldn't call myself a "pure" sprinter, I do best at the 30 second to 5 minute efforts. Almost hit 800 for a minute this year. I have a decent FTP(350,) but I'm heavy AF, so the watts/kg isn't so impressive. The vast majority of my rides are in the mountains, so I'm a bit jealous of the spindly climber types.

Besides the W/kg and W/CDA, I'd say that the repeatability of hard efforts is important too. Although, as a metric, it's really hard to measure. My training partner has a better w/kg FTP than me and can drop me on a long, steady climb. However, if we do a route with a bunch of short, punchy climbs, I can level the playing field somewhat.
That’s similar to my situation. I can hit 1400w peak sprints without too much trouble— I was Zwifting in Makuri Islands and did 1408w peak just the day before yesterday, in fact— but because I weigh 245lbs, I pretty much *must* lay out 650w-700w at a few points on any given ride just to get anywhere at a decent speed, and to be peaking up closer to 1000w at points if I’m rollin’ with the club and gettin’ after it. That’s just to avoid going OTB, so 1400w doesn’t really let me do anything incredible. Now, as a diesel, if I could get my FTP up to your 350w level and with a 310w Tempo/Z3 I could burn all day, I’d like that!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-19-23, 10:55 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That’s similar to my situation. I can hit 1400w peak sprints without too much trouble— I was Zwifting in Makuri Islands and did 1408w peak just the day before yesterday, in fact— but because I weigh 245lbs, I pretty much *must* lay out 650w-700w at a few points on any given ride just to get anywhere at a decent speed, and to be peaking up closer to 1000w at points if I’m rollin’ with the club and gettin’ after it. That’s just to avoid going OTB, so 1400w doesn’t really let me do anything incredible. Now, as a diesel, if I could get my FTP up to your 350w level and with a 310w Tempo/Z3 I could burn all day, I’d like that!
Yep, the peak power is just kinda normal. I don't do any specific training for it, I'm always just working on improving my endurance. I did a bunch of work this year just to get my FTP where it is. Cycling/endurance sports aren't what I'm naturally good at...from a physiological perspective, I should be something like a power lifter.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 12-19-23, 11:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I was Zwifting in Makuri Islands and did 1408w peak just the day before yesterday, in fact
1408 watts on a trainer, yikes! I start to worry about my indoor setup breaking when I hit 400 watts (carbon bike on Zwift Hub).

What type of indoor setup do you use?

Old 12-19-23, 11:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
1408 watts on a trainer, yikes! I start to worry about my indoor setup breaking when I hit 400 watts (carbon bike on Zwift Hub).

Hmm, I never had thought to fear anything; I have my steel ‘12 Breezer Venturi on a ‘16 Wahoo Kickr (2nd gen). The Kickr is rated to over 2,000w, so I figured it was good to go…and it feels fine and solid when I’m cranking on it.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-19-23, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Hmm, I never had thought to fear anything; I have my steel ‘12 Breezer Venturi on a ‘16 Wahoo Kickr (2nd gen). The Kickr is rated to over 2,000w, so I figured it was good to go…and it feels fine and solid when I’m cranking on it.
You must be a smooth pedaler.

Old 12-19-23, 03:04 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

I worry about sprinting on the road - I've broken chains and its not fun.

I don't worry at all on the trainer - Zwift hub with an aluminum frame.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 12-19-23, 07:31 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
As a 5'8" ex-racer flyweight, I like to target people up ahead and chase them down, but I don't try to catch and pass them---once I'm close enough to be satisfied that I've "still got it," I drop back. Catch and release.

But a few weeks ago I tried to catch a guy built like a linebacker who was on what from the back looked like a cheap hybrid bike. We were on a very slight downhill, but I couldn't make any headway against him. Okay, I thought: there's a good rise coming, of about 5 or 6 percent, that lasts for maybe 150 or 200 yards. I'm half his weight, on a light road bike. I'll reel him in. No problem.

That's where he dropped me for good. I can't imagine what wattage he was putting down. Sitting bolt upright on his hybrid. It was a rude awakening. Big, truly strong guys---respect.
Old 12-19-23, 08:28 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
As a 5'8" ex-racer flyweight, I like to target people up ahead and chase them down, but I don't try to catch and pass them---once I'm close enough to be satisfied that I've "still got it," I drop back. Catch and release.

But a few weeks ago I tried to catch a guy built like a linebacker who was on what from the back looked like a cheap hybrid bike. We were on a very slight downhill, but I couldn't make any headway against him. Okay, I thought: there's a good rise coming, of about 5 or 6 percent, that lasts for maybe 150 or 200 yards. I'm half his weight, on a light road bike. I'll reel him in. No problem.

That's where he dropped me for good. I can't imagine what wattage he was putting down. Sitting bolt upright on his hybrid. It was a rude awakening. Big, truly strong guys---respect.
e-bike possibly? I’ve been caught out by them a few times.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-20-23, 01:35 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts

What happens at that output that causes the concern? Are you out of the saddle pulling on the bars?
Old 12-20-23, 10:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by choddo
What happens at that output that causes the concern? Are you out of the saddle pulling on the bars?
Sometimes I'm out of the saddle, sometimes not. Either way, I can see the handlebars shift to the side and bounce back on each pedal down stroke. It's disconcerting.

Maybe a rocker board would help.

Old 12-21-23, 01:23 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Sometimes I'm out of the saddle, sometimes not. Either way, I can see the handlebars shift to the side and bounce back on each pedal down stroke. It's disconcerting.

Maybe a rocker board would help.
Is it on a memory foam mat? Just a bit of flex in that probably. I’m sure mine moves a little because the front wheel isn’t 100% static but I can get 700-800W out of it while sat pretty stable at 130ish cadence. More than that involves some standing and movement - the trainer itself has tilted a bit and I have very thin seat stays but they seem fine.
Old 12-21-23, 10:55 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by choddo
Is it on a memory foam mat? Just a bit of flex in that probably.
Just a thin exercise mat, on top of carpet.

I've seen people using these yoga half balls under the feet of a trainer, an inexpensive rocker panel:

I'm thinking about trying those.

Likes For terrymorse: