Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Bike to get?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What Bike to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 02:24 AM
Graeme404

Bikes: Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Bike to get?

So I'm new to biking, I think I'm on a Hybrid but it might actually be a mountain bike. I've been biking regularly on it, I've done most of the work to measuring where to put the seat and make sure the tires are aired up every day when I ride. But I'm at the point where I want a road bike, I think. I ride 10 miles to work and I've done what I can to make the ride as easy as possible, hell I've lost 30lbs in the last 3 months.

I'm dedicated to this and when I look at all the different types of bikes out there I'm a little overwhelmed, still learning the ins and out of of what works and what's just hype.

I've made up my mind that I'm getting a Trek, Giant, or Canondale because they have a lifetime warranty, I know for sure that I don't want carbon fiber because I ride the bike I'm currently on hard enough as is, the roads to get to work can be rough in some places. I do want to eventually ride long distances for fun.

Personal info
height: 5'8"
weight: 213 (and dropping!)

Current Bike: Granite Peak Road Master (i think its a hybrid?)

Now I know a guy who's selling a used Trek 1.2 down in Houston, TX for $320. Only reason i got him down to that price was because I live in DALLAS which is like 200+ miles away (sympathy card for the win) Before i make the trek though (heh, puns) I want to ask you all if its worth it or if I could just as easily get away with buying another type of bike. I've got no problem buying older models if that's what works but I really do need a better bike that what I'm on now.

suggestions?
Old 04-07-17, 05:46 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
first, congrats on the weight loss and putting that many miles on your current bike. changing to a road bike will be a large difference in feel. you should test ride a few before you commit to changing styles completely. i would recommend test riding at a local bike shop to find out what size fits you. they may even have something used in your price range. size is very important. it will determine, in large part, how comfortable you are riding.

once again congrats to you and keep up the good work. i love seeing fellow bike commuters on the road.
Old 04-07-17, 05:52 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Almost anything would be an improvement over a Roadmaster but are you sure that a Trek 1.2 is the right type of bike and would work for you? Keep in mind that the more expensive bikes that utilize more modern component designs tend to cost more to maintain and replace parts on.
Old 04-07-17, 05:59 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I'd echo the suggestion to go to you LBS and rides some road bikes. If you've not ridden one for a while you may find it to be quite a departure to what you're used to on your hybrid. Also, you should get an idea of sizing. Buying new from your LBS, although more expensive, is a good idea because they can help you with the right sizing, as well as offer support and maintenance.

Having said that, however, there is great value to be had in the used market for bikes where you can sometimes get a two or three year old bike for 30-50% off of the MSRP.

The 1.2 is a decent entry level bike, but depends on the model year and condition of the bike. I figure in a large metro area like Dallas there'd be deals abound on the used market.
Old 04-07-17, 10:08 AM
Graeme404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you guys for the quick response, I'm going on up to my LBS this morning right after I respond to you guys. I've only ever ridden a road bike ONCE in my life and while it was akward up until the start of this year I hadn't actually been on a bike in over 10 years because of a wreck I'd had that had scrapped off a few layers of skin off the right side of my face. concrete vs face, concrete wins every time. I'm sure I can adapt to a road bike easily, I've got a park I can really practice on and get a feel for before heading back onto the road. I know I'm gonna need a 54 -55cm bike, I know for a fact my inseam is 30. So I'm gonna take you's guys suggestion and see what they got. I'm also making sure to ask the guy down in Houston what the size of the bike frame is, cause I know if I get there and its too small or too large then It'll be a waste of time and gas money.

But you'd figure that Dallas would have a great amount of deals for bike but honestly over the last 2 year's like 4 bike shops have closed down, its almost easier to find a good deal by trolling through all the pawn shops so I dunno how well the LBS is going to be. Dallas is still converting a lot of roads to have Bike paths and drivers still not used to Bike's being on the road. They gotten better and there haven't been any fatalities that I know of but the roads not friendly.
Old 04-07-17, 10:22 AM
mcours2006

Size wise you're likely a 54 cm, but it depends on the geometry of the bike. You could be between 52-56 cm.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-17, 01:48 PM
Graeme404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright so I checked out the LBS, the guy there pretty much sold me on either the Jamis Renigade expac with the 520 steel frame or the Jamis Coda. I know I definitely wanted a bike with a lifetime warranty on it's frame, to me that means they putting they money where their mouth is. (Well, my money)

I'd like y'alls take on the two bikes and give a newbie like me a heads up on anything I should know 'bout these bikes, pros and cons. The bike shop also had a lot of Giant models there was there anything I missed out on by him suggesting the Jamis bikes?

Last edited by Graeme404; 04-07-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 08:35 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Graeme404
Alright so I checked out the LBS, the guy there pretty much sold me on either the Jamis Renigade expac with the 520 steel frame or the Jamis Coda. I know I definitely wanted a bike with a lifetime warranty on it's frame, to me that means they putting they money where their mouth is. (Well, my money)

I'd like y'alls take on the two bikes and give a newbie like me a heads up on anything I should know 'bout these bikes, pros and cons. The bike shop also had a lot of Giant models there was there anything I missed out on by him suggesting the Jamis bikes?
The expat would be a solid choice. The adventure style bike tends to get you a little more upright than even Trek's entry level road bike like the 1.2, wide tires, and rack and fender mounts. Giants equivalent would be the Anyroad. It doesn't advertise having rack/fender mounts, but suspect that it does. Should make your commute a breeze compared to your current bike.
Old 04-08-17, 05:44 AM
mcours2006

One is a drop bar and the other flat bar. Are you planning to do longer rides other than commutes, like over 3 hours? I'm partial to drop bar, and the Expat looks like a good value for your money. It has the eyelets for racks and fenders. I'd go with that.
Old 04-08-17, 09:01 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
The renegade is most roadbike of the two. Seems like your budget is 1000 dollars plus or minus. You want a road bike and you want a Giant Trek Cannondale. You should stick to those and you won't have buyers remorse (not that the Jamis is not a well made bike). The three brands you mentioned all make aluminum road bikes that are equipped with Shimano 105. One of those will do anything you would ever want a road bike to do. Commuting, club rides, centuries, gravel, even racing.

Or Craigslist
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/6036525164.html

Last edited by Classtime; 04-08-17 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add add.
Old 04-08-17, 10:02 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
If you are planning on rides longer that 40 miles, I'd choose on the Renegade. I had the same decision a few month ago and went with a similar bike (Renegade Expat was in the top 3).
Old 04-08-17, 06:06 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Try the drop bar bike to see. You might feel more comfortable on the flat bar until your tummy gets a little flatter. Totally not judging...I lost 60 lbs myself, thanks to diet and cycling. OTOH, I see lots of guys on road bikes with rounder bellies than I ever had. They do centuries in seemingly perfect comfort. Try it and see how it feels to you. Ya gotta be comfortable!
Old 04-08-17, 09:15 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all, I would be concerned the least about a lifetime warranty on a frame. I'd worry more about it being hit by a meteorite than failing due to a warranted defect.

Then, as Classtime suggested Craigslist. The owner of my LBS has breakfast with owners of stores from nearby towns on a regular basis to keep abreast of regional goings on. He says they all agree that a high percentage of the new bikes they sell end up on CL a few years later with less than a hundred miles on them.....for half, or less, of the original price.
Old 04-09-17, 02:01 AM
Graeme404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks a bunch of guys I wasn't expecting this many responses, you all have really helped me.

My general commute to work is 9.8 miles going one way, I'm also planning to eventually work up and go on longer distance rides. Main reason I was considering the Renegade over the trek that I found out in Houston is because the local bike shop manager was telling me that aluminum frames ride harder then steel frames and that overall steel frames would be an easier ride. Actually what he was saying was that the aluminum frames you would feel every bump on the road whereas the frame would be a smoother ride.

However recently I have done my research a little bit more on models of aluminum bikes, apparently they no longer have that problem but because of the first generation having that problem it's stuck.

And then I have conflicting sources that tell me that carbon fiber either has great shelf life or they break easily. Since carbon fiber cost so much more anyways I'm just staying away from those.

That Cannondale listed looks like a great bike, I am checking Craigslist I'm also checking Five Mile and Let It Go. I haven't bought the Renegade yet but it seems to be the top contender.

I would very much like to know how you all feel about the distance that I'm regularly riding to work and if I Renegade would be the best choice or if I should just go with a regular road bike

PS- I'm headed back to the local bike shop Monday
Old 04-09-17, 07:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i second not worrying about lifetime warranties. personally i prefer steel but you should just probably get the bike that feels good to you. your going to find that whatever bike you get will be vastly superior to what you have. other than size its going to be hard to go too wrong.
Old 04-09-17, 09:34 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Wrt the Renegade, do you want eyelets for a rack and disk brakes?
I vote for a regular road bike. My commute is 18 miles each way and I use a saddle bag on a road bike. And, while many folks go long and do fine on Tiagra and lower, 105 and higher is what you should try to afford. Keep in mind; the bike you have gets you to work and back. You want a road bike (that you can also ride to work).
Old 04-09-17, 10:41 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It probably really doesn't matter where you start. If you are like most of us, you will add more bikes later. A fitness bike or fuel sport bike is a good start but eventually you will also have a road bike and a mountain bike.
Old 04-09-17, 03:22 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
That business about 1st Gen aluminum working out the bugs is goofy. In general, yes, aluminum is a more harsh ride. But that comes with a caveat. The bigger the tire, and the lower the pressure, the less the issue. If you ride 35-38mm tires at 40psi, it's a wash.

Count my vote for the more utilitarian bike, which I would say is the Jamis Coda. I love my roadie--a carbon Orbea Orca I built up from the frame--but if I could have only one bike right now it would be either my Surly Troll everything bike (steel) or my Salsa Mukluk fat bike (aluminum), neither of which has drop bars.
Old 04-09-17, 05:12 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
That business about 1st Gen aluminum working out the bugs is goofy. In general, yes, aluminum is a more harsh ride. But that comes with a caveat. The bigger the tire, and the lower the pressure, the less the issue. If you ride 35-38mm tires at 40psi, it's a wash.

Count my vote for the more utilitarian bike, which I would say is the Jamis Coda. I love my roadie--a carbon Orbea Orca I built up from the frame--but if I could have only one bike right now it would be either my Surly Troll everything bike (steel) or my Salsa Mukluk fat bike (aluminum), neither of which has drop bars.
Whereas I put drop bars on everything. My Giant Innova Hybrid - switched the bars for drop bars, added cross levers to run it as my winter bike with 35mm shwalbe studded tires. I've had one fixie and a second fixie frame show up in the house - both of them started with flat bars, ended up with drops. I find drops FAR more comfortable, and one ride on the fixie coming home into the wind without being able to get into drops made me switch it out. I just built up a bike to try out some newer stuff (10sp 105 STI, disc brakes, etc), but right now my favorite bike is drop bars and downtube shifting. Bar end shifting is second place. Like I said though, I haven't really ridden one with integrated shifting yet.

I do agree on one thing - I like utilitarian bikes - steel and rack. Just prefer drops.
Old 04-09-17, 10:15 PM
Graeme404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm such a hard decision, ultimately ya'll have to understand that the Dallas roads are like an obstacle course for cyclists right now. Loose gravel, sand and dirt from constant construction that always ends up in places where you NEED to make a quick stop if the cars around here aren't paying attention (hint: they never are), steep inclines or high winds another, or my personal favorite. B O T H

So its quite hard to say which would be better, a solid new hybrid or an adventure bike, then the distance involved makes me think that maybe the renegade has more benefit.

that said, I do have another random question. I heard from some guy who was raving about solid rubber tires, apparently some company by the name of Tannus makes the things and he can't get enough of em. Could I get ya'll's opinion on them?

Last edited by Graeme404; 04-10-17 at 12:58 AM. Reason: more stuff to write
Old 04-10-17, 06:32 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Giant Contend SL1.... FWIW,I love my carbon bike. The ride is a little smoother than my aluminum bike, but I would say that aluminum is still good. Also, my commute is only 8 miles one way, but I much prefer my road bike to my hybrid even if I have to wear a backpack. Hell,I prefer my road bike at almost any distance. Is just more of a game to get out.

I'm same height, and similar inseam (I'm a little longer), but I ride 52cm bikes with long stems. You might be able to do the same, but you would end up with more drop to your bars that might be hard for you...

Solid rubber the sounds like having boat anchors attached to the bike, and probably extremely poor ride too. No flats though.

Last edited by San Pedro; 04-10-17 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added
Old 04-10-17, 07:36 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Whereas I put drop bars on everything. My Giant Innova Hybrid - switched the bars for drop bars, added cross levers to run it as my winter bike with 35mm shwalbe studded tires. I've had one fixie and a second fixie frame show up in the house - both of them started with flat bars, ended up with drops. I find drops FAR more comfortable, and one ride on the fixie coming home into the wind without being able to get into drops made me switch it out. I just built up a bike to try out some newer stuff (10sp 105 STI, disc brakes, etc), but right now my favorite bike is drop bars and downtube shifting. Bar end shifting is second place. Like I said though, I haven't really ridden one with integrated shifting yet.

I do agree on one thing - I like utilitarian bikes - steel and rack. Just prefer drops.
Yeah, it's definitely about personal taste. The bars on my Troll are Jones Loop, not flat, so they allow me to get more aerodynamic than flats.