Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How fast have you ridden?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How fast have you ridden?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-23, 02:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Emmawal
my husband was driving somewhere 50+ km per hour, and once he fell and hit the place x, now have problems with an erection - do you think it could be from hit?
No. He posted in another forum that he doesn't have problems when he's with his mistress.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-14-23, 07:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I was 53 when I hit 150mph on a motorcycle.
I flew at 562 MPH in a Boeing Dreamliner in Sept. Just as relevant? Top speed in a car at a track 138 MPH. Top speed for a mile in a 10K run, 7 MPH. Apples and oranges just like bicycles and motorbikes? Yeah they both have two wheels and obey the same laws of physics but engine versus human power puts them in different realms like sail and power boats, Sorry but I had to rant.

Old 12-14-23, 09:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
The earth moves at 492,126 miles per hour through the Milky Way Galaxy.
We are all tied for first!!!
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-14-23, 09:52 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I flew at 562 MPH in a Boeing Dreamliner in Sept. Just as relevant? Top speed in a car at a track 138 MPH. Top speed for a mile in a 10K run, 7 MPH. Apples and oranges just like bicycles and motorbikes? Yeah they both have two wheels and obey the same laws of physics but engine versus human power puts them in different realms like sail and power boats, Sorry but I had to rant.
Go back and re-read what I wrote in context. I was responding to the idea that people get more cautious as they get older.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-15-23, 09:17 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I hit 42 mph on my rollers that was much scarier than 50mph outside....
Old 12-15-23, 11:09 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Go back and re-read what I wrote in context. I was responding to the idea that people get more cautious as they get older.
My bad. Just reacting to the escalating number of motorcycle posts in a bicycle forum. Apologies

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-15-23, 11:17 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
not sure what he hit for speed but impressive as all get out

Old 12-15-23, 11:49 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My bad. Just reacting to the escalating number of motorcycle posts in a bicycle forum. Apologies
No worries. But upon further reflection, I think the fastest that I've gone on a bicycle (70mph) was riskier than the fastest that I've gone on a motorcycle (150mph). On the motorcycle, I had full leather gear and an airbag vest on a racetrack on a motorcycle with massive dual front disks with ABS. On the bicycle, I was on a public road with just lycra and a bit of foam on my head, riding on 23mm tires and with just 2 small calipers squeezing the rims. A crash on the bicycle would have been much worse.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 12-15-23, 12:35 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
No worries. But upon further reflection, I think the fastest that I've gone on a bicycle (70mph) was riskier than the fastest that I've gone on a motorcycle (150mph). On the motorcycle, I had full leather gear and an airbag vest on a racetrack on a motorcycle with massive dual front disks with ABS. On the bicycle, I was on a public road with just lycra and a bit of foam on my head, riding on 23mm tires and with just 2 small calipers squeezing the rims. A crash on the bicycle would have been much worse.
Your post reminded me of a documentary on the German T-Mobile bike racing team that I watched on Netflix a few years ago. Their sprinter, Erik Zabel, said he sometimes wondered what he was doing riding twisty switchback descents at hair-raising speed in the Alps or Pyrenees. "Ninety kilometers an hour on tires the width of my thumb," he said, finishing with, "I should have been a surfer."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-15-23, 07:31 PM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I once fought for many hours to get to the top of one of the Atlas mountains in Morocco, on my touring bike loaded with 15 kg, so I freewheeled down the other side with 75 km/h / 47 mph . At the bottom I stopped to have a wee and when I came back to the bike, one of the tyres were flat !! Since then I go much slower down the mountains.
Old 12-16-23, 07:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I don’t know about 70mph on a bicycle but I watched a video of champion cyclist Tom Pidcock shooting down Tuna Canyon in Malibu and it scared the stuffing out of me . He hit just over 50mph ….and he is a pro. I was coming into Atascadero after a pretty steep climb on one of my classic road bikes, a 1973 Windsor Pro with Phil Woods hubs and 700 x 28 tires pumped up to about 90lbs. The downhill sweeping canyon was beautiful and it was just that kind of day. I just decided to go for it and gave it everything I had . I hit 38mph according to Strava . I don’t think I will ever do that again at my age. Two years after that , at an event , I went down at 12mph and spent the day in the hospital with 6 broken bones and quite a bit of road rash. The time I hit 38 , coming down the grade , felt great and I didn’t really think about it but I wouldn’t want to imagine what could happen.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-20-23, 02:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I used to ride a route that ended with a 1350ft descent over 4.5 miles long. I once wrecked at 48mph on that descent. Broke the top 3 vertebrae in my neck, and fractured the base of my skull. Lucky to walk away from that one.

For some reason, I don’t charge the DH like I used to.
Old 12-27-23, 10:27 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I used to ride a route that ended with a 1350ft descent over 4.5 miles long. I once wrecked at 48mph on that descent. Broke the top 3 vertebrae in my neck, and fractured the base of my skull. Lucky to walk away from that one.
You literally "walked" away from breaking C1-C3?!?!
Or was that a euphemism for "survived"?
Old 12-27-23, 11:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
A steady 65 mph for a couple miles according to our Garmins, descending Stevens Pass on our '03 CoMotion Speedster, both of us tucked down on our aero bars, 4 lane smooth, clean road, nice windless summer day. Yes, we both have aerobars. Stoker's hands are beside my hips. Felt perfectly safe. I think that section is about 7%, judging by the times I've climbed it on a single. That time we had climbed the pass by the old road on the west side. Back then we were running 28mm @110 lbs. on ~25mm deep rims. It's a very nice bike, never had a problem on it. We run really bright flashers at both ends. Descending, we pass singles so fast that they think we are a motorbike. We take the lane.

Back in the day, I had a nice BMW R60US, rode it around in Europe, Morocco, and down to Istanbul. My practice back then was to ride it as fast as the road would allow. I garaged it decades ago, no fun in the USA.
Old 12-28-23, 08:04 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I can't drive 55 , but I've been that fast on a bike on some of the Utah passes in the 80's. Even here in Ohio, I can hit at least 50 as live next to Ohio River and many of the hills are quite steep. I only do that when I know the road is intact(not broken) and relatively straight or has nice sweeping turns. It's fairly rare to even find a road that the pavement hasn't been done in sections, with different types or grades of pavement. Cracks ensue and the gaps are never filled. Not good for a bicycle at a high rate of speed. I don't know if pavement in patches is an Ohio thing or what, I never recalled that growing up in MN, but that was then. When it's go however I just tuck and enjoy the ride.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-28-23, 01:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I think the highest speed I've hit was 55. This was several years ago on a 1991 Trek 1100. I held 50 or 52 a few times and briefly touched 55, on Utah canyon descents. My current bike, a steel framed Cinelli Vigorelli Road, will not quite make that speed. I think I've only gotten it to 47 or 48.

I find 35-40 MPH exhilarating but anything faster kind of scary.

Last edited by Broctoon; 12-28-23 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-21-24, 01:09 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
You literally "walked" away from breaking C1-C3?!?!
Or was that a euphemism for "survived"?
I literally walked away from it. I didn't think I was that hurt. Some motorists that knew who I was, helped me back to the marina where I lived. When security saw my condition, they called National Park Service, and they called in a chopper.

I'm lucky to be alive after that wreck. LITERALLY.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-21-24, 01:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I literally walked away from it. I didn't think I was that hurt. Some motorists that knew who I was, helped me back to the marina where I lived. When security saw my condition, they called National Park Service, and they called in a chopper.

I'm lucky to be alive after that wreck. LITERALLY.
Wow, like this guy: Against All Odds: The Bert Trautmann Story (mancity.com)
Old 01-21-24, 11:52 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Spent decades trying to crack 60. No dice .
Hit 58 three times:
~once while descending Mount Baldy after finishing L'Etape du California. Passed half a dozen surprised cars that day.
~twice descending Twin Oaks Valley Road on the downslope to CSU San Marcos. (The truck I was drafting chickened out and slammed on his brakes.)
Passed dozens of cars on descents, and at least ten motorcycles. Man that feels good,
As a motorcyclist, it seems pretty pedestrian. I've been over 150 many times on a motorcycle. (My 7-pound leather jacket flapped like it was paper mache.)
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-22-24, 12:08 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Ah, yes, descending Marsac Ave past the old mine. It’s steep and straight at that point. Like you, that’s where I hit my top speed.

Check out Cadel Evans and others race down this road in the 2014 Tour of Utah (RIP).

At 2:30, the front of the race goes past the turn-off to Stein Ericksen that you recall and then past the old mine.

(And the racers, especially Cadel who was chasing to catch on, were almost guaranteed to exceed 55mph between the numerous switchbacks before the clip started.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KiHWu6DzgQ
Everyone but Cadel took a gash line through that corner. Jeez, even pro cyclists really don't know how to go fast through corners. Bewildering.
Good on Cadel though. I wonder if he's also a motorcyclist.
Old 01-22-24, 09:42 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I I just decided to go for it and gave it everything I had . I hit 38mph according to Strava . I don’t think I will ever do that again at my age. Two years after that , at an event , I went down at 12mph and spent the day in the hospital with 6 broken bones and quite a bit of road rash. The time I hit 38 , coming down the grade , felt great and I didn’t really think about it but I wouldn’t want to imagine what could happen.
Chris Reeves was going much slower than you were and he became a quadripeligic who soon became a corpse. I'm glad you're still with us.
A man without without scars is a sad, sorry animal. Wear them with pride.
Old 01-22-24, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Chris Reeves was going much slower than you were and he became a quadripeligic who soon became a corpse. I'm glad you're still with us.
A man without without scars is a sad, sorry animal. Wear them with pride.
Do mental ones count? (Yeah I earned my ‘stripes’ but it was on a mtb.). Fortunately have not gone down on my road bike in years, knock on wood.

Old 01-22-24, 10:35 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Everyone thinks motorcycling is so deadly.
Over half of my 27 broken bones have happened while mountainbikiing.
I lived in Colorado for years and skied stupidly between the trees at Kennedy speeds for many years and had to dig myself out of an avalanche at BryanHead, UT. I've passed hundreds of automobiles across the double-yellow while motorcycling (and a few times while bicycling) three quarters of a million miles. I was a whisper away from death my first time kayaking solo to Catalina Island when the storm came up and a small-craft advisory was proclaimed.
But I've broken more collarbones, ribs, toes, fingers, and FEMURS while mountainbiking than any of these things. I think sometimes we're exceeding Darwin and should just stick to running.
Old 01-23-24, 07:36 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I refuse to have anything to do with mountain biking for this very reason. The injury:fun ratio, as much fun as it is, is too high.
I’ve also run out of bike storage space.
Old 01-23-24, 07:48 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I've been over 50 a couple times on downhill. I've been chasing 40 mph under power for the last 5 years or so. Every year I've inched closer. Last year I hit 39 twice on a regular ride I do with a group. It's a regular group ride with 4 or 5 sprint points and regrouping. It's a fairly fast group and an undulating road. I'm hoping to hit it this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.