Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 03:41 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Only 30 miles and 3700 feet of climb. Sucking gas. I can see why people really struggle with deep diaphragmatic breathing after Covid.
Improving the O2 exchange will take some work/time.
Clear sunny day, slight breeze and was able to do some repeats in the local canyon.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-30-22, 06:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Only 30 miles and 3700 feet of climb.
That is quite a bit, especially post-COVID. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sucking gas. I can see why people really struggle with deep diaphragmatic breathing after Covid.
What is deep diaphragmatic breathing? Is that the medical term for breathing in slowly and deeply so you fill as much of your lungs as possible?

Improving the O2 exchange will take some work/time.
Hyperbaric chamber to speed recovery? I know someone who swears by his.

Clear sunny day, slight breeze and was able to do some repeats in the local canyon.
Amen.
Old 01-30-22, 06:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Report from Flatland Dweller

Did my usual 36.5 mile loop to hit all 5 local "climbs": (1) Orchard Hills Loop, (2) Portola Parkway to just before CA-241, (3) Shady Canyon Trail, (4) Turtle Rock, and (5) Peters Canyon Creek Trail, for 1,576 ft. of elevation gain.

Beautiful late morning and early afternoon but not too hot. Got passed several times and unable to catch anyone (except once); made me realize that I would most likely be just as slow with a new bike. Sigh.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-31-22, 01:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Did my usual 36.5 mile loop to hit all 5 local "climbs": (1) Orchard Hills Loop, (2) Portola Parkway to just before CA-241, (3) Shady Canyon Trail, (4) Turtle Rock, and (5) Peters Canyon Creek Trail, for 1,576 ft. of elevation gain.

Beautiful late morning and early afternoon but not too hot. Got passed several times and unable to catch anyone (except once); made me realize that I would most likely be just as slow with a new bike. Sigh.
yeah, we'd all rather be catching and passing people with authority. the main thing is to be out and about and racking up those serious or junk miles.
even the junk miles add up. challenging yourself here and there is encouraged. not every ride (or any) has to be some epic excursion. ride your ride. too many world-class athletes in whatever age range to get discouraged. you do you.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-31-22 at 01:08 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-31-22, 01:17 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by joesch
I often just stayed ontop foothill and did the skyline rides.

Was always nice to roll down the hill and do SART.

have enjoyed the recent rides in the area. carbon canyon/ca hwy 142 (west to east preferred) was especially nice.

a bit disconcerting that seemingly every southbound road in northern corona/pomona/norco is predisposed to direct you to ca hwy 71
and it's a real bear to avoid that sandtrap/wetlands. just hafta figure out a scenic (haha) route between the eastern edge of the chino hills into riverside/corona.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-31-22, 06:56 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
have enjoyed the recent rides in the area. carbon canyon/ca hwy 142 (west to east preferred) was especially nice.

a bit disconcerting that seemingly every southbound road in northern corona/pomona/norco is predisposed to direct you to ca hwy 71
and it's a real bear to avoid that sandtrap/wetlands. just hafta figure out a scenic (haha) route between the eastern edge of the chino hills into riverside/corona.
Yep and why I did dirt many times in my days in Yorba Linda and Corona.
A good gravel bike would allow a few more alternatives.
Old 01-31-22, 07:34 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Deep breathing by extending the exhale in order to bring in more air/O2. Pursed lip breathing is often used at altitude due to decreased oxygen by volume.
I could tell I was not able to breathe as I normally would when climbing so it was more than just about conditioning but about my lungs not working at full capacity.

"What is deep diaphragmatic breathing? Is that the medical term for breathing in slowly and deeply so you fill as much of your lungs as possible?"
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-31-22, 09:40 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts

I live in the area at Eastvale. Most routes will connect to the Norco/Corona area through CA-83 Euclid and Green River Rd via SART. There isn't much scenery if you take the main streets through Chino and Eastvale area.

Chino Hills has good areas to do climbing intervals with the rolling terrain if you're willing to explore.
Likes For oris:
Old 01-31-22, 10:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Very nice ride on Saturday at one of my typical loops (Cherry Canyon)...until it wasn't.

Visibility below the cloud layer was quite spectacular. On a good day you can see Catalina Island. On this day I could see San Nicolas Island, which is quite a bit further out. I don't recall ever being able to see San Nicolas. I felt good - not fit, but strong and agile. Had a nice chat with a couple of HS-age riders who were bemused by my old rig. It's always good to see young riders out in the dirt.

In the closing part of my ride, I detoured from my usual route, which took me to a drop down to a stream crossing. The line I wanted to take was occupied by a few people and a dog, so I picked an alternate path. Bad choice. One rock stopped my front wheel. A different rock stopped my face. Zero stars. Do not recommend.
Old 01-31-22, 11:07 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Eric F
Very nice ride on Saturday at one of my typical loops (Cherry Canyon)...until it wasn't.

Visibility below the cloud layer was quite spectacular. On a good day you can see Catalina Island. On this day I could see San Nicolas Island, which is quite a bit further out. I don't recall ever being able to see San Nicolas. I felt good - not fit, but strong and agile. Had a nice chat with a couple of HS-age riders who were bemused by my old rig. It's always good to see young riders out in the dirt.

In the closing part of my ride, I detoured from my usual route, which took me to a drop down to a stream crossing. The line I wanted to take was occupied by a few people and a dog, so I picked an alternate path. Bad choice. One rock stopped my front wheel. A different rock stopped my face. Zero stars. Do not recommend.
yikes! best wishes on a speedy recovery!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-31-22, 01:00 PM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^ Hope everything else is OK? Damn that's a hard fall.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-31-22, 01:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
^^^^^ Hope everything else is OK? Damn that's a hard fall.
A couple of minor scrapes, but I'm okay. The bike is okay, too. My front teeth already had veneers from getting busted up a long time ago, and one of the veneers was chipped. I'm taking the difficult path to getting that chip repaired.
Old 01-31-22, 08:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

... ride your ride. too many world-class athletes in whatever age range to get discouraged. you do you.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am not discouraged by being firmly in the bottom quartile; I was just hoping for some logical reason for a new bike.

Eric F Wish you a speedy and fulsome recovery. (To avoid more gore in this thread I did not quote your above post in reply.)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-01-22, 10:27 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I have been lucky and haven’t got Covid. I did get Bacterial Pneumonia in the Keys several years back. Was a tough long recovery. Towards the end I started blowing up a Float Tube Bladder, kind of like a big heavy duty Balloon. It became a speed thing. How fast could I blow it up? Eventually I had giant diaphragm muscles and could easily breathe large quantities of air. Tremendous difference on the Bike.
Old 02-01-22, 11:05 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F

Yikes! I hope you didn't get any dental damage. I can recommend a good dentist in S. Pasadena off Fair Oaks. A nice cold beer or a shot of good tequila is what I'd be drinking if I crashed like that!
Old 02-01-22, 11:07 PM
jonathanf2

Deep breathing by extending the exhale in order to bring in more air/O2. Pursed lip breathing is often used at altitude due to decreased oxygen by volume.
I could tell I was not able to breathe as I normally would when climbing so it was more than just about conditioning but about my lungs not working at full capacity.

"What is deep diaphragmatic breathing? Is that the medical term for breathing in slowly and deeply so you fill as much of your lungs as possible?"
Sorry to hear about your covid bout. I found using a gaiter helps me breath in more moist air as I'm riding. Might help regulate your oxygen intake.
Old 02-01-22, 11:16 PM
jonathanf2

I did 34 miles up Verdugo Mountain on Sunday, taking the uphill on Walnut from Burbank. It was my first time taking that route and I have to say it sucks, because the road climb was a pain! I much prefer the South Beaudry trail entrance, since you hit dirt right away instead of grinding it out on an uphill road climb. As usual the view was beautiful and it was warm, but windy at the top. For Verdugo, I always bring 3 water bottles now because all that climbing definitely makes me thirsty!

Also I've been riding and strength training non-stop for the past 8 days while alternating each day. I definitely think I have a fitness addiction!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-04-22, 08:58 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am not discouraged by being firmly in the bottom quartile; I was just hoping for some logical reason for a new bike.

Eric F Wish you a speedy and fulsome recovery. (To avoid more gore in this thread I did not quote your above post in reply.)
N+1 needs no reason here and is highly encouraged
Old 02-04-22, 10:17 AM
CAT7RDR

SmellyAir,

Cycling is one of those recreational sports where there are growing pains when starting out and the more I push the more growing pains I have.

Then again, that is why I find it so alluring. Truly one of the athletic events I can engage in that gives back what I put into it.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 02-04-22 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-06-22, 08:08 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts

Weather was perfect today, had a dozen riders, maybe a few more than that. My Medici was a joy to ride this time, not sure if I'm getting the bike dialed in or I'm actually getting better at this.
Likes For giffenf:
Old 02-06-22, 11:55 PM
jonathanf2

For Sunday I went riding with friends. We did 26 miles with the intention of strictly road riding, but it ended up being more like a cyclocross adventure. We first climbed Chevy Chase Canyon, ended up in the Hahamongna Watershed Park next to JPL, did some of the single track on the Gabrielino Trail (on our road bikes), sprinted through the Rose Bowl and then grabbed coffee in Old Town Pasadena. It was fun, but I'm definitely feeling the damage of 3 days of straight cycling. My friends say I ride like a 20 year old, but I know my body isn't feeling like one!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-07-22, 12:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by giffenf

Weather was perfect today, had a dozen riders, maybe a few more than that. My Medici was a joy to ride this time, not sure if I'm getting the bike dialed in or I'm actually getting better at this.
did the ride for the first time this january. would like to do it again but almost never ever have sundays off, much less the first one of the month.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-07-22, 12:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
For Sunday I went riding with friends. We did 26 miles with the intention of strictly road riding, but it ended up being more like a cyclocross adventure. We first climbed Chevy Chase Canyon, ended up in the Hahamongna Watershed Park next to JPL, did some of the single track on the Gabrielino Trail (on our road bikes), sprinted through the Rose Bowl and then grabbed coffee in Old Town Pasadena. It was fun, but I'm definitely feeling the damage of 3 days of straight cycling. My friends say I ride like a 20 year old, but I know my body isn't feeling like one!

chevy chase is fun in either direction.
Old 02-07-22, 12:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I did 34 miles up Verdugo Mountain on Sunday, taking the uphill on Walnut from Burbank. It was my first time taking that route and I have to say it sucks, because the road climb was a pain! I much prefer the South Beaudry trail entrance, since you hit dirt right away instead of grinding it out on an uphill road climb. As usual the view was beautiful and it was warm, but windy at the top. For Verdugo, I always bring 3 water bottles now because all that climbing definitely makes me thirsty!

Also I've been riding and strength training non-stop for the past 8 days while alternating each day. I definitely think I have a fitness addiction!

nice pics.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-07-22, 12:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by oris
I live in the area at Eastvale. Most routes will connect to the Norco/Corona area through CA-83 Euclid and Green River Rd via SART. There isn't much scenery if you take the main streets through Chino and Eastvale area.

Chino Hills has good areas to do climbing intervals with the rolling terrain if you're willing to explore.
is there a little sector or big area roadie-wise that you like? more familiar with thrashing about in the whittier hills/la habra hills to the west
and the anaheim hills to the south but willing to get pummeled about and nearby elsewhere. it can be ugly and ridiculous. it can be short and sweet.
it can be baby bear don't care just right...or any mix thereof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.