Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Exercise Induced Insomnia? Yup, it’s a thing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-24, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

This is the second time I have done this - obviously a slow learner. Did an intensive ZWIFT two hour workout (mostly tempo and threshold - with a few bumps into anaerobic) finishing at 7 PM after a cool-down.

Had dinner at 8:30 (no alcohol) and collapsed into bed at 10:30. Awakened wide awake in the wee hours, laid in bed for an hour and a half and finally got up and read/watched a movie until 4:30 - 5:00 AM, until I finally was able to sleep. While wide awake, ran a query on the interwebs, “Exercise induced insomnia” and yowza, several articles popped up discussing how intensive exercise can result in high levels of cortisol and norepinephrine (think adrenaline and its effects) which lasts for hours. The articles went on to state that strenuous prolonged exercise is best done before mid-day to keep those pesky sleep interrupters at bay. Here is one quick article which in a summary of several others: https://www.outsideonline.com/health...ause-insomnia/

Guaranteed I won’t be replicating this a third time.

Who else has experienced his wondrous phenomenon?

Old 03-01-24, 11:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Not too extreme, but if I'm active shortly before the typical bedtime hits, I'll toss & turn for a while. Resulting in minimal hours of rest.

I treat exercising similar to caffeine. Try to have a hard stop of the two a few hours before counting the sheep.
Old 03-02-24, 12:02 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Sorry, I fell asleep while reading this.

j/k

Yes, it is a thing, but my insomnia base-line is so high anyway, I don't stay awake worrying about it.

Thanks. I'll be here all night.
Old 03-02-24, 12:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I too have had this phenomenon happen. Wish I could say I've learned my lesson enough to quit doing it. I need at least 4 to 5 hours to properly get down to sleep. Any more, if I'm not on the Zwift at or before 5pm, it's almost better to just skip the ride and try to get to bed at a normal time and just sleep instead of tossing and turning in insomniatic frustration.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-02-24, 03:11 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Not a phenomena, been known for a long time. I relate this to drinking a quart of water before going to bed, then wondering why you have to get up to urinate. I have dealt with insomnia for as long as I can remember. I have found, at times, the best I can do is to slow my respiration rate, relax all muscle groups, and get into a meditative type state of deep relaxation. It does not put me to sleep, but it does give some mental and physical rest.
Old 03-02-24, 03:29 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
It being known for a long time does not exclude it from being a phenomenon.

mindfulness, like I think you’re describing there, has me asleep very quickly usually.

I get this after every ZRL race on a Tuesday evening. Ours have been at 1950 start times. Very difficult to get to sleep.
Old 03-02-24, 05:25 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
It’s happened to me after long high exertion days. I’ll fall asleep quickly but wake up and stay awake.
Old 03-02-24, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I often get this after a long, hard ride during the day or an intense Zwift session late evening. So I try to avoid the latter.
Old 03-02-24, 08:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
For me, it depends on what type of load it is putting on the body. High cardio effort/lower on the muscles means no insomnia. Lower cardio effort, but more load on the muscles means I'm tossing and turning all night. In cycling terms, high spinning 30-60 minutes/lower resistance with the heart rate up - sleep like a log laying on the ground. That same 30-60 minutes grinding with heavy resistance at a lower cadence - can't get comfortable in the bed. Rolling like a log going down a river.

There's also Restless Legs Syndrome. Be thankful if you don't have it.
Old 03-02-24, 08:09 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat

There's also Restless Legs Syndrome. Be thankful if you don't have it.
I get that occasionally too and it is really frustrating. Thankfully haven’t had it for a while and don’t know what triggers it.
Old 03-02-24, 09:06 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
on High load weeks, I will get restless legs at night which makes it impossible to sleep. If I get a good foam roll session in that usually helps, unfortunately I almost always forget to do that until it too late.
Old 03-02-24, 09:25 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I do my daily run early in the morning and cycle perhaps early afternoon. It is best to avoid vigorous exercise in the evening.
Also, I take melatonin before bed.
Old 03-02-24, 09:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
When I tour, I almost always stay up much later than I do at home, even after a hard day of riding, setting up camp and cooking dinner. The next day I’ll get up pretty early (regularly by 5) and usually not feel all that tired.
Old 03-02-24, 12:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I will get insomnia often after a long and hard ride, too.

If I can't get to sleep, I'll get up and take a single acetaminophen (Tylenol) tablet with some milk. I don't know why, but that works.

Old 03-02-24, 02:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I will get insomnia often after a long and hard ride, too.

If I can't get to sleep, I'll get up and take a single acetaminophen (Tylenol) tablet with some milk. I don't know why, but that works.
Sounds a lot better than my old solution, drink a tumbler of red wine. Yours is far more healthy and productive - wonder if oat ‘milk’ would work?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-02-24, 03:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Sounds a lot better than my old solution, drink a tumbler of red wine. Yours is far more healthy and productive - wonder if oat ‘milk’ would work?
I don't see why not. My "milk" is actually "soy beverage". I hope the Milk Advisory Board doesn't come after me. They can be mean.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-02-24, 06:26 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don't see why not. My "milk" is actually "soy beverage". I hope the Milk Advisory Board doesn't come after me. They can be mean.
we actually used to have a “milk marketing board”. I think it was a governement funded thing. I have no idea why they thought this was needed. Too many people lax in their milk consumption or something.
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-03-24, 05:39 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I started listening to the Huberman Lab podcast a little while ago and the first 4 episodes are dedicated to the science of sleep. He’s a Professor of Neuroscience at Stanford and the topics are pretty fascinating.

It’s worth a listen, especially if you have trouble sleeping. One of the best things you can do is to go outside in the AM when the sun is at a low angle and just take in natural light for 10-15 minutes (actually outside, not by a window or car windshield) and do the same at night when the sun sets.
Old 03-03-24, 06:09 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by phrantic09

It’s worth a listen, especially if you have trouble sleeping. One of the best things you can do is to go outside in the AM when the sun is at a low angle and just take in natural light for 10-15 minutes (actually outside, not by a window or car windshield) and do the same at night when the sun sets.
Sounds good for establishing a sleep pattern, but I doubt it would help for this specific issue.
Old 03-03-24, 06:17 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sounds good for establishing a sleep pattern, but I doubt it would help for this specific issue.
He talks in one of the episodes about the impact of exercise on sleep and how to manage it. Honestly I didn’t pay attention to the pieces about late day exercise as much because I’m an early riser/rider.
Old 03-03-24, 08:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by phrantic09
He talks in one of the episodes about the impact of exercise on sleep and how to manage it. Honestly I didn’t pay attention to the pieces about late day exercise as much because I’m an early riser/rider.
Yeah, that sounds more useful for this scenario.

Basically I found that I have trouble sleeping if I go to bed carrying a high level of fatigue, from say a really tough day in the saddle. It’s kind of counter-intuitive. Also vigorous exercise close to bedtime makes it harder for me to fall asleep even if fatigue is relatively low. I need a good couple of hours to settle down. I’m okay going on the trainer in the evening as long as it’s not too late.
Old 03-03-24, 12:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I find that if I have a long, moderately paced day riding, I sleep well.

However, yesterday I did it to myself again, but surprisingly my hard workout was from 2-3PM (not 5-7 PM) to try avoid the issue. I wasn’t awake for hours but was awake just about every hour, ruining my deep/REM sleep. My ZWIFT session consisted of self imposed intervals, - Makuri downtown - doing the sprint segments 10X, at max effort and then going back to endurance in between. By the time I reached the final segment, there was nothing, so bagged it.

Appears had workouts will now need to be moved to the AM hours to try to get hormone levels back to stasis.

Old 03-03-24, 09:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I find that if I have a long, moderately paced day riding, I sleep well.

However, yesterday I did it to myself again, but surprisingly my hard workout was from 2-3PM (not 5-7 PM) to try avoid the issue. I wasn’t awake for hours but was awake just about every hour, ruining my deep/REM sleep. My ZWIFT session consisted of self imposed intervals, - Makuri downtown - doing the sprint segments 10X, at max effort and then going back to endurance in between. By the time I reached the final segment, there was nothing, so bagged it.

Appears had workouts will now need to be moved to the AM hours to try to get hormone levels back to stasis.
I'd consider keeping the 2-3PM intense workout time, but before dinner & after dinner pick up something to read/study that doesn't involve a screen/monitor nor gives out an audible readout.
Old 03-03-24, 11:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
I'd consider keeping the 2-3PM intense workout time, but before dinner & after dinner pick up something to read/study that doesn't involve a screen/monitor nor gives out an audible readout.
Guess I could get out my old Business Law text - that should do the trick.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-04-24, 12:14 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
It's not so much timing of the ride for me, but how much training fatigue I'm going to bed with. The caveat to this is, I do like at least having a couple of hours of "unwind" time before bed...if that gets cut short, I do have a harder time falling asleep.

A very difficult ride/race will screw up my sleep regardless of what time that event was. I'll fall asleep easily, but often wake up at 3:30 in the morning and can't get back to sleep. Doing intervals, or racing a shorter XC race that day, don't really have the duration that's required to screw up my sleep. However, if it's a max-effort for a few hours sort of ride, that's what screws up my sleep.

There is a point at the extreme end of the difficulty level, that I won't have insomnia issues...but these rides are a level of difficulty akin to riding a fast pace in mountainous centuries in hot weather. In those cases, my sleep metrics will look bad, i.e. elevated HR and suppressed HRV, but I can just pass out for 8+ hours after one of those.
Likes For Sierra_rider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.